PDA

View Full Version : UPS Rant!

jec2
06-04-2004, 08:05 PM
GRRRRRRRRR! UPS ticks me off. I wait and wait and wait for delivery, leave for an errand and they come. Usually, if they come the day they are actually scheduled to come, it is not until well-into the evening. Some days I track the darn package and first thing in the morning it says it's out for delivery and yet it never arrives. Seems like this also ALWAYS happens on a friday too so then I don't get whatever until Monday.

Once when I was pregnant and waitintg for a PBK shipment for the baby's room I had tracked and tracked and tracked the package. I sat here and wouldn't leave the house all day. Even made my DH sit and wait while I took a potty break. Then finally I tracked again at around 7 pm and the freakin computer tracking said they had attempted delivery! NO THEY DID NOT! There was no note or anything. Also, PBK said they are just to leave the box and not get a signature. I had no box left. I raised holy hell that their delivery guy was lying....probably had a hot date to get home to on that Friday.

So, now I have to wait until monday x:

annex
06-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Sending sympathy - same thing has happened to me. I was home all day, UPS never showed, no note or anything, but online I got the "attempted delivery" message. Had to show up at the shipping office (long drive) and pester them to find it for me.

Grrrr.

Anne

redhookmom
06-04-2004, 09:04 PM
When UPS delivers to our house they just leave the package by the front door or by the garage. In what situation do they need you to be home to deliver?

I feel your pain, just curious...

OK, I just reread your post. Is it up to the company sending the package?

Bearhut
06-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Oh do I sympathize! I HATE UPS! We had a package that they say was stolen from our property after delivery and now we have to sign for EVERY package. I am CERTAIN it was never delivered. First of all we live in the middle of no where! There are maybe 20 cars a day going past our house and almost all are neighbors. Now if this package from Crate & Barrel (After Christmas bargains totally less than $20) was stolen, why did whoever stole it leave the box from Dell (with computer parts) that was delivered the same day? It's been well over a year and every time I call and complain to UPS about having to sign, they say that since there was a claim, we will ALWAYS have to sign! If they weren't the only one who delivered from some on-line retailers I would boycott!

Sorry, I guess I needed to vent about UPS as well.

Hope your package comes on Monday. Have a good weekend!

jd11365
06-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey now...my DH is a UPS delivery driver! :) I just asked him about your situation and he said while possible, it is considered a "Cardnial Sin" to lie about a delivery attempt and is cause for immediate termination. I can almost assure you that no UPS driver is willing to give up his pay and benefits to get home a little faster. It takes up to 12 years in some states to become a full time driver...yes, you read that right. Full time drivers are not willing to give up their pay...which is quite good. Plus the benefits are fantastic...they cover everyone in the family for medical, dental, vision, etc.

Now, what I will tell you is that drivers are most concerned w/ pick ups because they haven't been paid for yet. If you are late to a pick up and the customer gets upset, he will take his package somewhere else and UPS loses money. Deliveries have been paid for...money made. This is why your delivery might not be until the evening. Pickups are usually in the afternoon after businesses are completed packaging them, so if residential deliveries aren't finished before business pickups need to be done the driver will stop and go get the pickups and do the rest of the residential deliveries later on...sometimes after 7. This is the same for FedEx, USPS, whatever shipping agent you choose...it's not just UPS. They are businesses concerned w/ making $.

As for signatures, they are only required at businesses not residences unless otherwise noted.

If it helps...think your shipments continue to help me to stay home! ;) Also, my DH works 12 hour days, often without time to take a lunch break...no a/c in the truck in the summer heat here in the south. I promise they do not dilly dally. They are timed and everything is tracked...it's very hard to be deceptive and if you are it is cause for immediate termination...even if for lying about an attempt.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

jec2
06-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Wow, Jamie, thanks for all the info. I do know that UPS is a great company to work for. I had a boyfriend in highschool and college whose brother's worked there and thought highly of the company. Plus, they have CUTE drivers, probably your husband is one of those good looking guys with the great legs!

But, for whatever reason, we ALWAYS have to sign for UPS packages here. Maybe it is because we live in an apt.? Even when I am at school and working, I have to sign for packages there as well. And, I swear to you that we never got a delivery attempt from that package last year! I sat here all day long just to make sure that I didn't miss it (it was a shelf and bunny mobile for DS's nursery and I NEEDED it as any 8.5 month preggo mama would need the book-shelf and bunny mobile)! I sat here and clicked "update" on the UPS website like every 15 minutes just to make sure! All of a sudden, I clicked "update" and it said "attempted delivery at 6:40! I was sitting right here on the computer which is 10 steps from the door! Plus, there was no notice on the door like they usually leave informing you that they've made an attempt and that you can call and scheudle a pick-up, etc. I called UPS immediately & then called PBK and they said that all their pckgs are to be just left. So I had no package, no knock on the door and no notice left saying that there was an attempt but a website saying that an attempt was made. Oh I was furious and called the guy at UPS and told him the story and he wasn't sure what happened. Anyway, I scheduled the package for me to pick-up on Monday, and I get there it took them 1/2 an hour to find the package. They kept on saying they didin't have it that it was out for delivery. Oi Vay!

anyway, this post is so long, but it's just now a joke between DH and I that to ensure delivery of most of our packages, you just have to leave for a quick errand down the street to the market!

papal
06-07-2004, 12:36 AM
Juliet! Sorry you had such a bad UPS experience.. like I was telling Jamie, we absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE our UPS guy. He is the ONLY service person we got a gift for this christmas. He always has something nice to say to me and now to Leela...he is so friendly and courteous.. when i was pregnant, he always asked if I wanted him to carry the package inside.. and now when I have Leela in my arms, he does the same thing. Anyway, just wanted to give props to our guy (what exactly does PROPS mean??), we really love him. The fedex guy on the other hand is a dimwit.. he leaves his truck ON, is very grumpy and it is never the same guy.

Oh, I have to sign for packages too.

jd11365
06-07-2004, 09:31 AM
...ahhhh, and apartment...now that's another story. As soon as I asked the question to DH last night, he asked if you lived in an apartment. I'm not making excuses here, but for some reason DH first asked if you lived in an apartment and I said no...I don't know why...I thought you lived in a house. Perhaps he made the delivery attempt to the wrong apartment. This is kinda common... For example in an apartment complex here there is a 1706 Ravenswood Circle and a 1706 Ravenswood Lane. He might have seen Lane, attempted and no one was home, and it was supposed to be Circle. No offense, but DH hates delivering to apartments...no one is ever home because usually people in apartments are working and he spends half the day getting the package out of the back, locking up the truck, knocking on the door...sometimes a 3 floor walk up...only to have to put it back on the truck. And he might have 20 stops in one apartment complex...most with no one home. They can be left with the office mgr. because they can sign for it, so maybe the driver attempted to deliver it there and because it was 6:40, they were gone for the day...now that would be crappy...but a possibility. I promise my DH wouldn't do that to you! :) I'm not making excuses, just offering ideas... And if my mobile didn't come when I was 8 months pregnant, I would have been more than angry myself! I think waiting for deliveries is like waiting for water to boil!

HTH...even if it's not what you wanted to hear...

And Rashimi, I don't know about FedEx, but if a UPS driver leaves his truck on...keys in the truck...it's another cause for termination. They don't mess around! Glad you are happy with your guy... :)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

jec2
06-07-2004, 07:24 PM
UPS just dropped my package off and so I asked the guy about signatures. He said that because I live where I live (a college neighborhood w/a good deal of crime, transients, riff-raff, stoners etc) that signatures are required. He also said that if this was his usual route (we seem to have a bunch of different drivers) and if he knew me, then he'd probably just hide the package out back or something. Anyway, at least that part of the puzzle is solved!

mamahill
06-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Fascinating information Jamie! I love our UPS guy - he's the BEST! When Ainsleigh was young, I asked him to not even knock - just leave the package in our meter cabinet. It was so nice to not have a doorbell ruin her (my :)) nap. Like Rashmi, our UPS guy was the only service person I gave anything to at Christmas - I made him a HUGE bag of fudge, cookies, snacks, etc., and a thermos of hot chocolate (he generally arrives between 4-5, so I had a good idea). In the summer I offer him a soda or something. I figure he's brought us such precious cargo as new kitchen stuff, strollers and computers. I view him as the delivery angel :). Anyway, tell your DH I appreciate his work, Jamie. I'm sorry others don't have as good an experience, but I'm not giving mine up! :D

jd11365
06-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Yeah, apartments are signature required...I didn't realize you lived in an apartment. Anyway, I feel kinda bad that I took the wind out of your angry sails...feel free to continue to be upset with UPS and/or your driver...I know when I'm pis*ed off about something, the last thing I want is for someone to rationalize or justify the situation on the other behalf! So here's a grrrr UPS from me too...just for you! :) Just thought you might want some scoop...

1 more bit of not-so-interesting UPS info. for those interested...
Drivers hate to take packages back to the hub...they WANT them off their truck because believe it or not, many have just as many pickups as deliveries and they need to clear out before they fill up.

And gee Sarah, I wish my DH was your UPS driver...lucky guy!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

llcoddington
06-07-2004, 10:43 PM
I have a really wacko UPS man. He loves to talk and often I'll be half way shutting the door and he will still be chatting away! But, the funniest moment was when he delivered a huge box of baseball cards for my husband. I was pregnant and asked him to step inside and put the box in the foyer. He did and as he turned to go, he farted twice! He said oops and left (a little quicker than his usual exit.) If I see him coming, I send DH out to deal with him.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03