PDA

View Full Version : It's TOO LOUD!

Jeanmick
06-17-2004, 09:42 PM
My DD's voice is SO LOUD!!!! Everytime she speaks, you can hear her talking from one end of the house to the other. No, her hearing is fine. We've checked that out. It's purely habitual! I've tried everything within my power to work on reducing her loudness level. Positive reinforcement of her "quiet" voice, which rarely happens unless I model it and note it. I modeled appropriate voice loudness (I even make it quieter, yet not whispering) when we're talking, but she's oblivious to it. Ignoring when she's talking loudly doesn't work. Stickers, stamps, you name it, I've tried it. And to top it all off, she never STOPS TALKING! She's got a case of verbal diarrhea! Please don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely grateful that she's so verbal, but every once in a while I'd like her to stop speaking to me as if I'm a 100 yards away.

I worry that she'll develop vocal nodules, but thank goodness, her voice is fine right now. She probably has vocal cords as strong as steel.

Okay, I feel better. Thanks for letting me vent.

mamahill
06-17-2004, 10:01 PM
*snort snicker* verbal diarrhea, I love it! LOL. I have a cousin whose little girl was just like this. They took her in to get her ears checked SEVERAL times because they thought she might be deaf or have trouble there. No such thing. She just wanted to be heard. Perhaps invest in some ear plugs? I really like mine. :)

boys2enough
06-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi, my 6 yo is the same, and he does not have hearing problems either. It is just his normal voice and he seriously does not realize how loud he is. When I ask him to have quiter voice, he will whisper. There is no in-between for him in this matter.

I think my second boy is going to be the same. SIGH. Well, thank you for letting me commiserate with you. :)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif