PDA

View Full Version : I hate the USPS, time to start using UPS or Fedex!!

cuca_
06-20-2004, 12:40 AM
This past Mother's day I sent my Mom a gift 6 days in advance. I used Priority Mail. Mother's day came and went, and she had not received the gift. It took over two weeks for her to receive it. She lives in Puerto Rico and I live in New York. That is a 3-3.5 hour flight. You'd think it would not take two weeks for the package to get there. I had purchased delivery confirmation for it, but up until the day of delivery the website only showed that the package had been accepted in my Post Office on the day I mailed it. Duhh, helpful service-- I personally took it to the Post Office!!

For Father's day I decided to send my Dad's gift using Express Mail. I went to the post office last Thursday, in the morning, and sent the box. The postal clerk explained that they no longer have next day service in Puerto Rico, and even joked that the Postmen most be spending too much time at the beach when I commented that packages were taking a long time to get there. I made sure to get my package in on Thursday, because I knew that they only guaranteed second day delivery for Puerto Rico. Well, of course, the package did not arrive today. It cost me $35 to send it, and my father is not getting our gift on time!!! When I use the Track and Confirm option in their website, it shows that it was accepted at my Post Office on Thursday, nothing else. NO KIDDING!!!!! I even called a customer service number and they have no more information. Is this really what they consider tracking??? (I can't seem to use the smilies right know, or there would be tons of little faces in this post).

I am just so upset. I do not set the terms of delivery, they do, and they certainly charge for these services. And they can't manage to get a package down to PR in two days?!! What is going on.

DH and I decided that from now on we will be using Fedex or UPS. No more packages through the USPS. I just sent an e-mail to the Post Master General and plan to file a claim on Monday to get my money back. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Carmen

Momof3Labs
06-20-2004, 12:57 AM
She hasn't been on the boards recently, but maybe e-mail Linda (Liya). She lives in PR and has complained about how awful their post offices are, and can probably tell you the most reliable way to get things down there (without paying an arm and a leg).

mharling
06-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Express Mail, unlike Priority, is guaranteed. If your package didn't arrive in the timeframe they told you, you should be able to get a refund. Just take your original receipt to the PO.

Mary
Lane 4/03

workaholic
06-20-2004, 05:01 PM
I totally understand...
My company uses USPS simply because my partners husband is a postman, WoooHooo, right? Like that should be the deciding factor, but low and behold it is. It seems half our packages are late showing up to customers door step. They call me, I call the post office and get an ear full about how once it leaves "our" facility it's not "our" responsiblity to check on it and that delivery confirmation is just that..."delivery confirmation". They are NOT required to scan packages in route. Which stinks, because I like to see where pacakges are. We've opted to use UPS when sour situations arise but UPS takes longer or the same ,depending on the package, and costs more. I've never had a package not arrive from USPS, so that's good. I just wish they were more helpful and cared more about their customers, especially when priority packages are involved. I feel ya, honey. Our hands are usually tied in these situations. However, you can use UPS and they pick up your packages if needed the next day while on delivery. You can use their website to print and pay for labels. You can probably get away with guessing package weights by using your home scales.

Better Luck,
Aimee
Momma to Cooper
Wanting another...
Owner: Ella-Bags

cuca_
06-21-2004, 08:45 AM
Thanks for your answers. The package did get in on Father's Day. I am still mad that they guarantee a date of delivery and don't abide by it. Mary, I know they will refund my money, and believe me, I am going to the PO today to file a claim. As Aimee says, I have never had a package get lost with them, but lateness is another story. In all honesty I'll probably continue to use the USPS since it is the most convenient to me. I can walk to my PO. I know that my parents have used UPS and Fedex in the past, but it is more expensive. Surprisingly, when my parents mail me things from PR Priority Mail, they get hear within two or three days. I wrote an e-mail to the Post Master General. We'll see if I get a reply.

Carmen