PDA

View Full Version : OB wants to induce but "schedule" is full!

Timmersmom
06-22-2004, 03:30 PM
This is starting to really get me upset. I'm due with baby #2 on July 5th, but at 36 weeks my OB had an ultrasound done b/c of decreased fetal movement - and to check on the baby's weight. Well, it turns out the baby is in the 97th percentile for weight (apparently she was 6 lbs 7 oz at 36 weeks), so last week she said that she didn't think I should go to my due date and that she wanted to induce labor. I was told that I would get a call at home from the nurse-midwife who would set it all up, probably in a week or so.

I was having mixed feelings about the inducement thing, but was accepting it. I finally got a call two days later (last Friday) from the nurse-midwife, who told me that they schedule 4 inductions a day (I guess these are for people who know way ahead of time they need this done), and that I was first on the wait list for this upcoming Friday, the 25th. She also told me she'd be calling everyday with an update, but that I'd probably be coming off the wait list onto the Friday schedule.

I saw my OB this morning, and told her about this, and she basically expected to see me this Friday. I'm currently 2-3 cm dilated, 50-60% effaced, so I'm told this is good for inducing. Well, I just got my second call from the nurse-midwife, and still no change, I'm still on the wait list. When my response was less than enthusiastic ("Oh, okay") she replied that she couldn't just magically create a spot for me! Argh! I asked what happens if I don't get in on Friday, and she mentioned that I would be placed on the wait list for a spot the following week. Probably at the bottom, no doubt. I was too upset to ask about that.

I would have been okay with just waiting until the baby comes, but since they said they wanted to induce, now I'm concerned I'm going to have this huge baby and get really torn up, or worse, wind up with a c-section AFTER laboring for hours and hours. It just seems to me that if they think I need to be induced for a big baby, why can't they just do it? This waiting for someone to fall off the schedule is really getting to me. . .am I in or out?

Sorry this is so long. Can I blame hormones? If anyone out there's had a much bigger second baby (my first was 7 lb 11oz) and/or has some encouraging words, I would really appreciate them!

Thanks for listening (um, reading) :)

Elizabeth

Timothy 3/11/02
DD due 7/5/04

mommd
06-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Well, first off, estimating weight by ultrasound is very inaccurate as many people will tell you. Second, there is no way to know if you will have a problem until you go into labor. While it *may* be possible the baby will be "too big", that most likely WON'T be the case. You CAN give birth naturally if that's what you want.

I have only had one baby, so I can't speak of second baby's weight. I am a tiny person and my DD was 7lbs 9oz, which I was also told would be too big for me. Guess what? I did just fine.

As long as the baby is OK, I don't think you need to worry about waiting a little while about being induced. Again, if you do not want to be induced, you don't have to be! Inductions are more likely to lead to C-sections than is laboring naturally. There are many birthing positions you can use to minimize tearing.

I hope she doesn't mind me suggesting this, but maybe you should PM Rachel (RachelS), as she seems to be very knowledgable in this area. HTH!

emmiem
06-22-2004, 04:38 PM
I understand your point of view. However, as a doctor's wife, there is only so many patients he can schedule in the hospital for inductions at one time. There are probably others that are further along, or have bigger problems with their pregnancy. Doctors have to be careful with inductions due to malpractice restraints and AMA guidelines. The doctor must have a very full practice or scheduling conflicts. If you want a definite time, maybe ask to speak to the doctor instead of the nurse-midwife.
HTH.
Michele

redhookmom
06-22-2004, 05:29 PM
she replied that she couldn't just magically create a spot for me!

That makes me angry!! "No, I didn't think you had magical powers. Do you think I am stupid! Actually I am 36 weeks pregnant and anxious about the well being of my unborn child!"

I guess those words aren't so encouraging. I am sure if your DR had a major concern you would be on the top of the list.

I will be thinking about you and hoping you get on Friday's list.

candybomiller
06-22-2004, 05:48 PM
I want to say something comforting, so I hope I don't screw this up.

At 36 weeks, my ob guesstimated ds's weight to be 7 1/2 pounds. I was scared to death I was going to give birth to a behemoth. I did end up being induced, but it was because I was a week past my due date and psychotic, not because of any fears about the baby's weight. My induction went fine. In fact, labor and delivery were the best part of being pregnant (besides buying all the baby gear!). Everyone's birth experience is different though.

The one thing I want to say is that if your doctor is concerned the baby is too big, he/she will find a way to get you in for an induction. Also, it's amazing what your body can do.

I know it's easy for me to say, but don't stress about this. In the end all that matters is that there is a happy, healthy Mommy and baby. How baby gets here is irrelevant.

COElizabeth
06-22-2004, 05:57 PM
I can understand your frustration, but try not to worry. As others have mentioned, the ultrasound estimates of weight late in pregnancy are not terribly reliable, and even if you do have a big baby, you will likely be just fine. Most importantly, know that if you needed an emergency induction for your health or the baby's, you'd get one, no matter what the schedule was. When my preeclampsia got worse and I needed to be induced, I was wheeled over to the hospital immediately.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

ktdid74
06-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Hi Elizabeth- Just from an L&D nurse point of view- there are only a certain number of slots due to certain amount of staff on a unit. When I worked at a bigger hospital, we did tons of inductions (no flames please, that's just the way things went in that area) and where I am now, we do fewer but still only have an alloted amount. It's about patient safety. They have to triage who is most in need of induction and usually the large baby reason goes after high blood pressures, diabetes, etc.
Believe me- we get TONS of irate pregnant ladies calling us asking why they're getting bumped or put on hold. I sure hope you go in to labor on your own- then you're guaranteed priority :) Good luck and hang in there!

Timmersmom
06-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Thank you all for reading my incredibly long post and for your kind and considered replies. I later realized that inductions are indeed a hot-button issue.

I guess the hardest thing is that I'm being given the impression that induction needs to be done, but of course, clearly, it's not a big priority. And I'm okay with that - by all means, some people really need to have them done first. I'd actually prefer to go into labor on my own.

But at the same time, they aren't giving me any reassurances that I'll be fine having a bigger baby, or even saying, "Gee, the ultrasound may not be accurate". I guess that's why I came here to these boards - to get the reassurances I need! :)

Again, thank you for your thoughtful replies. I appreciate them.

Elizabeth

miki
06-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Good luck and don't worry. Even if your baby is on the bigger side, you could still deliver with no problem. I'm 5'4" and weigh around 115--I have a pretty small frame. I had an uneventful vaginal delivery and ended up with a 8.5 pound baby when the doc thought she'd be smaller. I even had a nap during labor!

And I was one of those people who dropped off the induction schedule. My OB's practice was alloted 4 inductions per day by the hospital. He scheduled me a week in advance when he saw me a few days after I was due. I was supposed to go in for another check a few days later and then get induced if nothing had happened at about 41.5 weeks. The day I was supposed to go in for that last check, I went into labor. So I never needed the appointment for the induction.

jubilee
06-24-2004, 02:59 AM
Just wanted to say that I've had two big babies, #1 was 9 lb 13oz and #2 was 9 lb 9oz. You CAN do it!! :)

I think actions speak louder than words- and even though they told you that you should be induced, their actions show it is not critical- so try to take comfort in that. I'm sure you're a little scared of having a big baby, I know I was. I was also induced with my second son because of big birth weight and they only induced me 6 days before my actual due date. I really wish I had not been induced now.

Anyway, best to you and your new baby!

Melanie
06-24-2004, 04:47 AM
I'm sorry they are stressing you out. I think that is what is inexcusable, telling a very pregnant woman that they have a concern, that they want to take a specific action then not making it happen. Don't get me started on MDs...

Try not to worry, like everyone else said, those late ultrasounds aren't always accurate. Mine was not. I was expecting a sumo baby and he was just a tiny 7 1/2 lbs after coming when he decided (on my due date! Boy was I ever surprised).