PDA

View Full Version : GAP's return policy---ARGH!

aliceinwonderland
06-23-2004, 04:45 PM
SO I get a gift for Erik that I need to return, as he has outgrown them alrady. i go to return, with tags on, AND gift recipt.
I am given the following choices:
1. Buy something now in that amount (No time for that, I was on my lunch break!0

OR
2. we will send you store credit BY MAIL.

Why, why by mail? I've never heard this before! That would have been fine, except we're moving and I don't have a new address yet.

This episode combined with the fact that the freakin' Pampers Baby Dry gave my baby a BLISTER today make for not a very happy mama right now.
Thank you for letting me vent!

Jeanne
06-23-2004, 05:00 PM
I know it's annoying. They started that practice about three years ago. I must have about 10 of these paper credits in my wallet. The credit is usually mailed to you within 12 days. Old Navy does the same thing.

Sarah1
06-23-2004, 06:51 PM
OMG!! A blister???? How did that happen? Where was the blister?

The Gap thing totally SUCKS, too!

cuca_
06-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Eri-

I know, I just learned about this. I went to return a bunch of stuff that DD got for her birthday and didn't find anything I liked, so they sent me a "credit" on the mail. Well, whoever came up with this policy is not very smart. What they send you in the mail is a check, which I promptly cashed and spent at Hanna A. and Janie and Jack. Hey, if they had given me a store credit, like I requested, they would have made a profit. Instead someone else did. Duhh!

Sorry that Erik got a blister from his diaper. That's awful!

Carmen

dowlinal
06-23-2004, 09:48 PM
How did you cash your check? Mine is a "fake check" made out to the GAP. I was so annoyed because I totally misunderstood the cashier when she told met hat I could either do an exchange of get a check in the mail. I chose the check because I just don't like the way GAP clothes fit DD and figured I would put the $34 towards something we could use. So I was un[pleasantly surprised when my check wasn't real.

cuca_
06-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Alexis - I guess the Gap employee or someone along the line made a mistake in my case. No wonder. I requested a credit, but received a check made out to my name. Maybe you should call them and explain that you had asked for a check not a credit. I'm glad to hear that, in fact, they do send store credits. It makes no sense to me that Gap can't give you a credit on the spot and that Banana Republic can, when they are both owned by the same company. In fact, my check said Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy.

Definitely call them and request your check.

Carmen

zuzu
06-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Ouch about the blister--hope Erik is feeling better soon!

What a PITA for you. I've had that happen once at Old Navy, but they have otherwise issued me gift cards in the store.

I don't think the Gap stores in our area ever got that memo, thank goodness. I've been able to get store credits on the spot and once they even credited the amount of the gift receipt to my credit card because I was making some other returns that were being refunded to my card. Maybe it depends on the store?

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

aliceinwonderland
06-24-2004, 11:22 AM
well, my sister called it a blister, but I think it was mainly just skin irritation in thisone spot on his little upper thigh...I HATE Papmers Baby dry, they're so plasticly (and theyc aused it: we were on Swaddlers until last week and were fine). I called Papmers and promptly threw away all my Baby Dry diapers. It's Swaddlers from now on!

dowlinal
06-24-2004, 01:16 PM
What did pampers say when you called? I'm curious because I had the exact same problem with the baby drys. At first I thought it was because of the heat/sweating and put a little powder on her thighs but it was definately the diaper and I also went back to the swaddlers. I have a whole box of the babydrys in size 1-2 from costco that I am going to give away.

aliceinwonderland
06-24-2004, 02:48 PM
I told them their diaper gave my baby a blister, and that I had to throw away a whole pack of Baby-dry's (also from costco, also size 1-2). She said to switch to a bigger diaper (the size was not the issue, and I am not an idiot, but thanks anyway!), and that they would send me a coupon for a FREE pack of diapers, because I told her I'm going back to Swaddlers. The coupon better be for the huge pack too!

She tried telling me that the materials used in the two types (Dry and Swaddlers) was the same, but I told her this was not clearly the case, because Baby dry crinkle and are so plasticky it's ridiculous.

dowlinal
06-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Can you post the number? I couldn't find it on their website.

I love that she said they were the same. Hello if they were the same then you wouldn't be marketing them as two different products. I think the problem is that the babydries don't have any give at the hip so the baby's thigh just rubs. KWIM? I know it's not about size because my daughter is currently wearing swaddlers size 1-2 with no problems. (BTW - yesturday I found the swaddlers 1-2 at costco in NJ so they may have them by you)

Sarah1
06-24-2004, 04:44 PM
ITA with you about the Baby-Drys. They do feel like cheap plastic. The Costco here isn't selling Baby Drys in bulk anymore--they sell the Cruisers and Swaddlers which are so much better--much more like fabric. I personally have always liked Huggies more, and that's all I used when Audrey was a small baby, but since she was around 10 mos old, the Huggies stopped fitting her as well...they're cut too narrowly through the hips/butt for her. But we still use Huggies Overnites for nighttime (and Pampers Cruisers the rest of the time).

aliceinwonderland
06-24-2004, 04:56 PM
I just called 1800 PAMPERS.

good luck. Make sure to tell them you had the HUGE packs (may help to remeber the diaper count, as they'll ask you that. So hopefully they send you a coupon for the BIG ones.

Best of luck :)

tippy
06-25-2004, 04:01 AM
DON'T THROW THEM AWAY!!!! COSTCO WILL TAKE THEM BACK!!! One of the many reasons I LOVE Costco is their return policy. They will pretty much take anything back with or without a receipt regardless of when you purchased it and if it is partially used, eaten, worn etc....I brought back 3/4 package of huggies diapers because they no longer fit ds and they gave me my $$ back.. Their rule is if at least 1/2 the product is there you get all your money back. If it is for example a four pack of something and you use 3 packs you get the price of the remaining pack back..HTH

Oh yea,,,edited to say Macy's also had the annoying and inconvenient policy of mailing you a credit or check.

dowlinal
06-25-2004, 03:03 PM
I called them and they are sending me out a coupon. The woman I spoke with was really nice and she told me that the swaddlers and cruisers brands are considered to be their premium line of diapers and that they allow for more of a custom fit as compared to the babydries. She kept stressing that swaddlers were premium diapers so I took it as her round about way of calling the babydries cheap. Maybe she should talk to the rep that you talked to and straighten her out. I'm going to try and return the remaining 200+ diapers to costco next week. Thank you so much for the info!

aliceinwonderland
06-25-2004, 09:27 PM
You just saved me 30 bucks!! I cannot beieve Costco took them back, without a receipt, even!!

ANother reason to love that store!!!

thanks so much!

tippy
06-25-2004, 11:17 PM
So glad that worked out for you!!! I am a Costco JUNKIE! I'm actually embarrased by some of the returns I've made there. My DH will say "what are you doing with that/those etc..." and I will say, "oh, I'm returning them to Costco" and he just rolls his eyes! Love, Love, Love Costco.

aliceinwonderland
06-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Yea, it also helps that they are a GOOD company, that seems to care more about their workers than their strict bottom line. They actually got some heat recently on Wall STreet because they pay more than the "average" retailer, and offer many other benefits as well.

Unlike that other store, that has a few class-action lawsuits going...

stillplayswithbarbies
06-26-2004, 01:18 AM
Do you think they would take back a phone that I bought a year ago? We had cordless phones that stopped working, all we get is static. I bought them there, but don't have the receipt. Do you think it's worth a try to ask if they will take them back? Or do you think one year of life is all one can expect from Uniden phones that cost about $90?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

urquie
06-26-2004, 01:34 AM
i'm sure they will take them back. i returned a 3 year old phone (with out it's head set) and i didn't have the receipt (it hadn't worked for over a year!). it sure seems like they have the best return policy in the industry! which is good because if something new comes in you have to buy it or it might not be there next time:( then just return it if it doesn't work out.

tippy
06-26-2004, 02:29 AM
Karen,

YES!!! They will take it back, I'm sure. I have never had a problem returning anything in or out of the original packaging there. REALLY they are the best. The only thing that might happen is that if the price on an item has come down and you don't have a receipt you will get the lower price (they go by what is in the computer). But then again, if you bought something on sale or with a coupon and you return it you will get the full price back so I guess it all comes out in the wash if you shop their a lot like I do. Let us know how you make out.

aliceinwonderland
06-26-2004, 08:01 AM
they may not give you cash, but they'll give you a Coscto cash-card for the amount the phone scans.

They do not even carry Baby Dry anymore, and I did not have a receipt for my opened box of diapers. She gave a $29.99 Costco card, no questions asked.