PDA

View Full Version : People who enjoy spoiling other people's fun...GRRR

deborah_r
06-28-2004, 02:09 AM
We went over to our friend's apartment yesterday, and they had said to bring our bathing suits and maybe we'd go in the pool and the jacuzzi (meaning all of us, including DS). Our building has a pool, but theirs is nicer and we don't have the jacuzzi. So we get all ready to go swimming, go down to the pool , DH gets in and I go to hand him DS. Before this an older woman and a woman with children had said "hi, and oh there's the baby, we thought we heard a baby, and oh, he's so cute". There were some kids in the jacuzzi, maybe 7-10 years old. So as soon as DH gets DS in the water, the older woman comes over and says "You're not supposed to have the baby in the pool. No children under 4 years old. There's a sign right there. (pointing)"

We were kind of shocked. Never expected such a silly rule. And so nice of her to wait until my son is all wet so he has to come out and be all wet, but not enjoy being in the pool at all. I thought maybe she was a manager of some sort, and being that we were guests, I just did what she told us. Well, our friends said she is not a manager, just a busybody, and that she doesn't usually ever say Hi to them. Our friends are Japanese-Americans and feel that some of the people in the building have an attitude toward them for whatever reason.

When I did read the sign, the rule right under the one about babies under 4 said "no children under 14 allowed in the jacuzzi at any time" Oh, how I wish I had seen that when the woman was still there and she had no problem with those kids being in the jacuzzi. They also all left as soon as we got there too, like we had spoiled their fun somehow. Oh and it also said "no loud noise" and we had been hearing those kids yell all the while we were visiting up in our friends' apartment.

So I sat with my legs in the pool and DS on my lap and I dropped him in to DH occasionally, so he could enjoy himself a little. But I swear, I just hate people like that. What would it matter to her if one baby goes in the pool? And who died and left her in charge? MYOB lady!!!

new_mommy25
06-28-2004, 04:14 AM
Ugh...how completely rude. Poor Kai. My DS loves the pool and I can imagine his dissapointment. What a party pooper.

jbowman
06-28-2004, 10:25 AM
That totally sucks! I really hate people like that!

jal
06-28-2004, 02:58 PM
While the woman was rude, and used the wrong "rule", she was correct in that DS shouldn't be in a public pool. The posibility of a leaking diaper creates a health risk.

deborah_r
06-28-2004, 03:59 PM
WHAT????

Then why does our local public pool have baby swim classes? And what is chlorine for?

stillplayswithbarbies
06-28-2004, 04:33 PM
pee in the pool is not a health risk. If it was, no one would ever be allowed to swim.

The poop (if any) is contained by a swim diaper that is designed for that purpose. Most public pools have rules about babies who are not potty trained wearing swim diapers.

It's not a health risk to have babies in the swimming pool.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

lisams
06-28-2004, 05:40 PM
There is no health risk if the child is wearing a swim diaper and the pool is properly chlorinated. The chlorine kills any harmful bacteria in urine (which is really not common) and the swim diaper contains the poop if there is any, they are spcial diapers that are made to do that. I have never seen a rule not letting babies in the pool, and we have tons of them here in AZ.

Bah humbug to the woman.

Lisa

Melanie
06-28-2004, 06:30 PM
How annoying. I had something like that happen to me as a kid. My friend and I were breaking the jacuzzi/pool rules at our place and this guy came in and actually admitted he was only doing it because someone else had done it to his granddaughter. Real nice version of 'pay it forward.'

ETA we were breaking the rules b/c we were in there alone and under 16 years old (my mother was coming behind us by about 5 minutes). His granddaughter was always over there alone or begging other adults to pretend they were watching her so she could stay.

mamahill
06-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Ainsleigh has been swimming in our community pool since she was 4 months old. Our rules don't say anything about ages, except that under 14 aren't allowed without supervision.

gour0
06-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Okay, two different issues here, I think. No children under 14 allowed in the JACUZZI, not the pool. It is a safety thing with the hot water. I think you'll find that sign at all public jacuzzi's/hot-tubs. Kids can pass out.

deborah_r
06-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Hi Stacey,

I'm not sure who you are addresing (me or one of the other posters) but I am fully aware the pool didn't say no kids under 14, it was the jacuzzi, and the kids I was talking about *were* in the jacuzzi. So the woman just wasn't choosing to enforce that rule.

Then there was also a sign for no babies under 4 in the pool *or* jacuzzi.

gour0
06-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. The lady needed to be told off. It just sounded like everybody was talking about the pool. Those are crappy rules. I'm surprised your friend invited you over if the rules were so restrictive. It really does suck. I just wanted to mention about the poss. safety issue w/babies and hot-tubs. When I was thin, I couldn't use them because I got all faint as well.

You should have told her that your DS IS 4 and is just very small for his age! :)

deborah_r
06-29-2004, 12:37 PM
>Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you.

Sorry, I misunderstood!

>Those are crappy rules. I'm surprised your friend
>invited you over if the rules were so restrictive.

My friend isn't much of a sign-reader, I don't think. She says she is down there all the time and never noticed that!

>I just wanted to mention about the poss. safety
>issue w/babies and hot-tubs. When I was thin, I couldn't use
>them because I got all faint as well.

I was wondering when kids are old enough to go in the hottub - do we have to wait until they are teenagers?

>
>You should have told her that your DS IS 4 and is just very
>small for his age! :)

I considered it!

gour0
06-29-2004, 08:35 PM
I was trying to find info about hot-tub safety online, but most searches came up with drowning issues. I remember asking in a hotel why the age requirement was 14 or 15 years and they told me it was because of fainting and possible drowning. I guess the idea is that a child won't know to get out in time and could fall asleep or faint and drown. Probably this is just another business precaution in our lawsuit crazy society. But, I have never been able to stay more than a few minutes in hot water up to my chest w/o feeling dizzy and having to get out. Also, on a side note, one of our bbb friends contacted a skin disease from a friends hottub and was told that all hottubs have the same bacteria in them regardless of how clean they are. Yuck.

Sarah1
06-29-2004, 08:52 PM
What? Anybody could pee in a pool. I've never heard that rule!