PDA

View Full Version : Note to self: leave DH detailed instructions!

miki
06-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Let me preface this story by saying this is not really a vent. It's just one of those thins that happens that make you do a Homer Simpson, "Doh!"

DH loves DD to death but since he works long hours, he doesn't have much experience with taking care of DD. On weekends we tend to spend the day together as family time so DH usually is not alone with DD. On Sunday I went out to run errands after putting DD down for a nap. DD woke up while I was out. DH played with her, walked the dogs with her, and decided to give her something to eat when she seemed a little unhappy. I left some fruit with oatmeal in the fridge and there's always the Yo-Baby and string cheese.

Anyhoo, when I got home, DH was in the tub giving DD a bath. What's going on? Too early for bath time. DH says he gave DD some bits of string cheese and a spoonful of the oatmeal and DD gagged and threw up a lot of stuff. Enough that her high chair had to be washed down in the shower. How strange, I thought, she eats little bits of cheese and oatmeal just fine for me. I wasn't so concerned as I have seen DD gag and throw up when she tries to swallow something too fast.

Then later it comes out that after their walk with doggies, DH thought DD might be thirsty and got a juice box out of the pantry and she drank almost all of it. Um, she's never had more than a few sips of juice just for fun and to practice drinking with a straw. She gets water or diluted juice after her meal--and she never takes more than a few tiny sips since her food has a great deal of water in it. A whole box of full strength jucie. No wonder she threw up. DH thought that since I told him I taught her to drink from a straw by using the jucie box to squeeze up the juice to get her started, that meant juice is her beverage.

So, note to self. Next time DH will be alone with DD, he needs more detailed instructions and the things DD can eat or drink need to be cleary set aside in the fridge.

flagger
06-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Oh please don't leave instructions for DH. He didn't do permanent damage to DD. I am sure you made tons of mistakes when you had very little experience with DD on your own. With the amount of people who complain that the DH do nothing around the house, be grateful he tried.

I will give you an example from yesterday. Ms. Flagger made a comment that I didn't stir up the Yo-Baby before feeding it to Cocoa. I got so hurt and upset I just walked away because I was doing it WRONG. Well I have been doing that way since she has been eating Yo-Baby.

JMHO, but leaving a detailed note is really a bad idea.

wagner36
06-28-2004, 01:21 PM
That's funny, Flagger, DH and I had the same conversation about the Yo-Baby yesterday. I felt that I must comment, because surely he didn't notice the layer on the top, but he's done it that way all along.

Dcclerk
06-28-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm sorry to go witht he hi-jack but we, too, have had the stir v. not-stir discussion. I stir, DH does not. It never crossed his mind to do so, and I think it is bizarre that he starts with that super-heavy layer. We decided to agree to disagree on that one.

flagger
06-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Ok see. I am super anal (imagine that) about food getting all into her mouth. And it gets to creamy when stirred and stuff falls off on the high chair and her bib. When it is heavy you can get just a certain amount and it doesn't fall off.

Sheesh. Women. ;)

miki
06-28-2004, 03:47 PM
I didn't actually mean a written note. He and I agreed that he doesn't know what solid food to feed DD because he never does it. I'm not exaggerating on the never part. He's the one who asked me why I didn't leave the stuff he might give her already in the fridge--like a sippy of water.

And I don't stir Yo-Baby either. But DD could eat Yo-Baby all day so I don't have a problem getting the cream into her mouth.

newbelly2002
06-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Actually, My DH--who is home half days with Dante and has been since the very beginning--still asks for specific written instructions if I feel strongly about something. If I don't care (i.e. won't comment later that I preferred it done differently) then all is fair game.

I have to admit that, like DH, I too would prefer to have something in writing then to be later criticized for not doing it right. It's a good life practice and makes for fewer misunderstandings.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

mamahill
06-28-2004, 06:11 PM
A couple times I've left Ainsleigh with DH for the entire day or overnight. The first time I was gone all day (6a-8p), I left DETAILED instructions - written down. When I got home he said, "Those instructions were great - everything worked like it should. We had a great time!" It entailed what times to put her to nap/bed, what to eat, what to do, etc. Yeah, it was over-the-top, but it made me feel better knowing it was there, and it made him feel like she came with directions. When I left for about 36 hours a couple months ago to go to a wedding, he said, "You're going to write out directions again, right?" I wasn't going to, but he requested it.

The fact is, my DH doesn't do this every day. It's only about half the time that he eats dinner with us. As she has gotten older (and he has had more time with her), he feels a lot more comfortable with her. But then, DH is also the kind of person who needs things written down for him to remember (except birthdays and anniversarys, thank goodness!). But everything else (appointments, vacations, dates, etc.), has to be in his Palm or on a post-it stuck to our bathroom mirror.

Better luck next time, Wen! I'm sure your DH learned a valuable lesson, and not one he's likely to repeat (in that exact context - lol)!

MartiesMom2B
06-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Well I have been doing that way since she
>has been eating Yo-Baby.
>

Flagger, Yo-Baby is organic. I thought you didn't buy organic stuff. ;) (duck and run)

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

momma_boo
06-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Sonia, You crack me up! That was quite a witty little remark there. Hee, hee!

ShayleighCarsensMom
06-29-2004, 02:02 PM
I never stir as it makes it thinner, thus harder to keep on the spoon! If you leave it unstirred it is thicker and then, less mess!

Vajrastorm
06-29-2004, 02:32 PM
I don't stir cream at the top yogurt, for the baby or myself.

The cream layer is tasty!

Vajrastorm
06-29-2004, 02:35 PM
I think it all depends on the individual. My husband LOVES having detailed instructions.

flagger
06-29-2004, 02:51 PM
I had a coupon, but I think I said I don't go out of my way to buy organic because it is organic. But, it does seem to have the least sugar content, but enough of the fat that she needs right now. Eep, I have become a label looker too.

Smart-*ss!!!

momma_boo
06-29-2004, 03:34 PM
I actually stir in rice cereal (infant cereal) to make it thicker. I add enough so that it becomes a more pudding-like consistency, which is perfect for her to feed herself with. She went through a period where her iron level was low, so I'm really conscientious of making sure she gets enough iron and adding the infant cereal to the yogurt was an easy way. Since she is solely eating table foods, I buy the pouches. I use about 1/3 of a pouch for a small container of yo-baby. Just throwing that out there as a suggestion.

McQ
06-29-2004, 03:34 PM
We don't stir either. It gets to runny if you stir IMO.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

22tango
06-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Me neither!! :D In fact, since DD is down at the low end of the weight range & tops for height, I've been a little worried about getting some calories into her. But she usually doesn't eat a whole yobaby. So feeding her the cream first ensures that she gets all those lovely calories (& great taste) before she decides she's had enough!! There's no hard and fast rule about stirring, I say.

MartiesMom2B
06-29-2004, 07:15 PM
I'd rather be a smart-*ss than a dumb-*ass. Ha ha. OK, I'm stopping.

Sonia

Sarah1
06-29-2004, 08:28 PM
DH can usually figure out what to feed Audrey now, but when she was younger (like under a year), I always gave him specific instructions for feeding & naptimes--he liked that I did this, and this way we never ended up in a stupid fight. If I were to leave Audrey with DH for the entire day (something I haven't done in a long time), I would definitely leave him a general guideline for feeding times and naps. Like Sarah/mamahill said, he just isn't as familiar with her schedule as I am.

And btw, like your DH, my DH once gave Audrey full-strength juice (an entire sippy cup full). When I got home, Audrey had gone turbo spaz. Fortunately she didn't throw up, though--that's awful!

sweetbasil
06-29-2004, 08:30 PM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8479.jpg

flagger
06-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Do you understand this?

KMFA

;)

C99
06-29-2004, 11:42 PM
The top layer is the best part. I never stir it; it's for savoring!

tippy
06-30-2004, 01:05 AM
I think it means she's eating popcorn while watching the show...(referring to the back and forth "funny" posts(my guess anyway).

tippy
06-30-2004, 01:20 AM
OK, here I go. DH is very "step oriented". For example, it took him four months to change dh's diaper because he needed to "get all the steps down"! It also took him about 15 attempts over 4 weeks to learn how to get dh into his new car seat (and we are talking about a Britax Marathon!!!). So,,, when he is watching ds I typically will prepare his meal and leave everything in containers ready to heat or eat. This does not address the heating instructions which is a completely separate issue! I try and just leave things that can be eaten cold so as not to complicate matters but...He doesn't bathe ds because he feels he can't do it "as good as me" and ds won't have as much fun or get as clean as when I bathe him. OH WELL. He is really good about taking him out on a Sat or Sun morning while I either sleep in, or get some stuff done around the house. (Of course I have to get up first and prepare everything he needs for breakfast, and snacks and bottles etc..) I guess nothing has been life threatening and I have just learned to not sweat the smallish stuff.

Melanie
06-30-2004, 01:31 AM
ahem..I thought he was saying "Do you understand this?" in reference to his lovely acronym of "KMFA" below. Now, I can only think of one thing that might mean, but just in case I'm wrong I'll let you all decide for yourselves.

Pass the popcorn.

deborah_r
06-30-2004, 01:38 AM
I *love* Julie's popcorn guy. I looked it up on one of the smilies and it says it means "lurk".

>Now, I can only think of one thing that might mean, but just in case >I'm wrong I'll let you all decide for yourselves.

I think I've got the K, the M, and the A, but I'm wavering on the F.

tippy
06-30-2004, 03:55 AM
Duh...HOW DID I MISS THAT??? See, I thought everthing was going along all nice and friendly like with some light jibbing and all of a sudden...WHAM. That was really not called for YKWIM?

gour0
06-30-2004, 08:48 AM
fat? furry? foolish, friendless, freakazoid.... hmmm, do you think we can take our pick?

MartiesMom2B
06-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Woah there little doggy. . . I'm not looking to start up any war with you.

I'm going to chalk this up as not being able to understand my tone over the internet, because my original response was in a friendly, teasing matter. The second one was to reinstate that, "Yes, I am a smart @ss" and I laughed at loud at your comment. My snappy comeback about being smart rather than dumb, was not implying that anyone is a dumb you know what. It's my standard witty comeback. If I had said this to you in person, my meaning/intent would've been crystal clear.

Sonia

stillplayswithbarbies
06-30-2004, 10:47 AM
somebody somewhere is missing a great opportunity to say:

"The sand stays IN the sandbox, or Flagger gets OUT of the sandbox"

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

ddmarsh
06-30-2004, 10:57 AM
ROFL Karen! Of course things bring up a new discussion ---- is it ok to discipline other childrens' parents???

sweetbasil
06-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Karen,
Beth stepped down, Rachel's away, and Lori doesn't start moderating officially until tomorrow, right? Can you be moderator for a day? I like your style, and you'd have my vote in a heartbeat! ;)

pritchettzoo
06-30-2004, 12:16 PM
ROTFLMAO... Karen, that is hysterical! :)

FWIW, I think Flagger was teasing in a kind of "Kiss my grits" way. But he certainly doesn't need anyone to defend him and I could be completely wrong...

Anna

pritchettzoo
06-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Amen! :)

Anna

flagger
06-30-2004, 12:24 PM
>Woah there little doggy. . . I'm not looking to start up any
>war with you.
>
>I'm going to chalk this up as not being able to understand my
>tone over the internet, because my original response was in a
>friendly, teasing matter. The second one was to reinstate
>that, "Yes, I am a smart @ss" and I laughed at loud at your
>comment. My snappy comeback about being smart rather than
>dumb, was not implying that anyone is a dumb you know what.
>It's my standard witty comeback. If I had said this to you in
>person, my meaning/intent would've been crystal clear.

But Touche'. I who NEVER uses smileys put a winking one specifically so my meaning was received as I intended. Danger of reading too many things when it is posted instead of spoken, but WEIN?

sntm
06-30-2004, 12:25 PM
ROFL -- Karen, you crack me up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

flagger
06-30-2004, 12:26 PM
>somebody somewhere is missing a great opportunity to say:
>
>"The sand stays IN the sandbox, or Flagger gets OUT of the
>sandbox"

:( Now actually I take this as complete and utter pot-stirring. Shame the whiners and complainers can dish it out but sure cannot take it.

THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR.

gour0
06-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Where is there a winking smiley? I don't see it.

Saartje
06-30-2004, 02:13 PM
>He
>doesn't bathe ds because he feels he can't do it "as good as
>me" and ds won't have as much fun or get as clean as when I
>bathe him. OH WELL.

"It doesn't have to be done perfectly, it just has to be done."

A statement I have to repeat to myself fairly often; sounds like your DH could stand to hear it, too.

gour0
06-30-2004, 02:28 PM
This is similar to how I try to approach things. No wrong or right, just different. But, I have to leave the room sometimes when he is doing things to keep myself from questioning his methods! For the most part, I think he and ds both benefit from figuring it out for themselves instead of trying to do it my way. And, sometimes I think that his way is better than mine.

momathome
06-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Pot...meet kettle.

flagger
06-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Nevermind. Some people are not even worthy of a response. I am so glad you can now ignore some posters.

momathome
06-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Well, gee, you got me there. (insert sarcasm where needed)

flagger
06-30-2004, 06:28 PM
It is under the KMFA that I posted.

It is so ironic that people complain about me stirring the pot when what was a friendly exchange between two people who have met each other in person has turned really sour and nasty. I have talked to Sonia before this and understand that her DH and I have similar senses of humour.

I took her initial post in jest, lobbed one back in jest, got one back in jest and in a jesting way continuing on with the *ss theme lobbed one back. All of the other people in this thread who somehow say they ignore everything I post managed to make as usual a mountain out of a molehill. They seem to take great pride in trying to pour gasoline where there really is no fire. Someone will go off and fire off some angry email to the Fields and whine about how mean I am being when anyone standing to the side can see their behaviour in this thread is exactly the type of behaviour they complain about me engaging in.

They are the same people who asks for opinions and then whine and moan because they don't like the answer they are given or because in the way it was given.

I am now off to feed my teething DFIP child some un-stirred Yo-Baby.

gour0
06-30-2004, 06:56 PM
The only wink I see is in response to #3 about stirring or not stirring the yogurt, not attached to the kiss my A response.

I also think that there was no need to continue with that theme. How far would you have it go? Smart A, Dumb A, Kiss my A.... Do you ever allow the other person to have the last lobby or do you always need to keep escalating until it gets out of hand? I really think this is what people object to, the crossing the line, not the initial wink wink.

flagger
06-30-2004, 07:09 PM
>The only wink I see is in response to #3 about stirring or
>not stirring the yogurt, not attached to the kiss my A
>response.

Here let me show you a picture. See if this helps.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8509.gif

>I also think that there was no need to continue with that
>theme. How far would you have it go? Smart A, Dumb A, Kiss
>my A.... Do you ever allow the other person to have the last
>lobby or do you always need to keep escalating until it gets
>out of hand? I really think this is what people object to,
>the crossing the line, not the initial wink wink.

I think anyone who should objected should have been Sonia which she did. I sent a correcting personal email. As should all disagreements between two parties be handled personally offline instead of whining to a third party. Anyone else entering this is just as guilty of escalation. Now I am done with this picture pointing out. And no I never let someone have the last word. Who are you to decide what is out of hand between two people? Who is anyone else. There was no "Crossing the line" here sorry.

Melanie
06-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Hey, Flagger, for what it's worth, I think there is something screwy going on with the smilies...I did not see yours, and I tested it out myself, and didn't see one I posted either.