PDA

View Full Version : GRRRR. Boss asked if I was pregnant...

momma_boo
07-01-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm not. I just need to lose about 20 pounds.
Grrrrr.

Amazingly, I managed to lost most of my "baby" weight within a few months after DD was born. But then I came back to work and it's been all downhill. I work in Chinatown, NYC. Lowfat meals do not exist here. And my overly hard-working co-workers insist on eating out every day b/c they need the break (I am not an overly hard-working person. Case in point - I am POSTING on the boards!). I've gained about 15 pounds.

This morning, she's sitting in my office, chatting away. She looks at my belly and goes, "Are you pregnant?" She's been encouraging me to TTC and yes, we just recently started to try but sheesh.

Bad enough I feel wretched since I weighed myself for the first time in a long while on Tuesday. But now this!

Crap. Starting a diet on Monday (after a weekend of indulgence!)
Also need to get back on the treadmill, which will mean getting up at 5:45 am. I am NOT a morning person, but it also seems unlikely that I will have the energy to exercise at 9 pm after DD goes to bed).

amazz
07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
That sucks. I'm really sorry that happened to you. I was just talking with my mom about some jerk commenting on my weight the other day. (I'm 6.5 mos preg and he told me I looked more preg than his friend's wife did when she had her baby a couple of weeks ago!) It is so easy to let weight issues affect our self-esteem so I'm trying to remember that I am still a good person even though I carry extra pounds (even pre-preg) and I'm sure you are too. Good luck on your diet. I really do feel for you and I'm sending you good thoughts for your day/week to be better.

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

sarahfran
07-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry that your boss is such a lunkhead. You know, my aunt had the best comment for me when I complained about my post-baby belly. She said "you need that--it's to protect your internal organs!"

Good luck with the diet if you choose to go that direction. I can't imagine how hard it would be to diet when working in the middle of temptation city!

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)

jbowman
07-01-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm sorry that your boss asked you that. I am incredibly sensitive about my weight (especially postpartum) so I really sympathize. I am still trying to lose most of the weight that I gained during pregnancy, and it's almost 7 months since Ellie arrived.

I thought people knew NEVER to ask a woman if she were pregnant--b/c sometimes the woman isn't!

Hugs to you!

redhookmom
07-01-2004, 10:38 PM
That's illegal!!

chlobo
07-02-2004, 08:52 AM
Wow, what a jerk.

ethansmom
07-02-2004, 09:17 AM
Yes, that is illegal! What a jerk! Of course, I'd never think of a quick comeback, but how would your boss have felt if you had replied you were pregnant but recently had a miscarriage? Some people are so insensitive!

I've got 20 lbs to get rid of, but I think I'd have about 200 if I had to go to Chinatown every day!

egoldber
07-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Just a suggestion, most Asian restaurants have meals that are lower fat than others even if they are not advertised as such. Try picking ones that are vegetarian or heavy on veggies as opposed to those with fried, breaded meats (like sweet and sour type dishes). And portion control with the rice is key. A serving of rice is only 1/2 cup. And many restaurants will serve half portions if you request it. A cup of soup and a half portion of something like beef with broccoli would make a nice lowfat lunch.

But it is completely inappropriate for your boss to comment on your weight OR to ask if you are pregnant. Totally, utterly inappropriate!

And after suffering 3 losses I will NEVER EVER ask anyone again if they are pregnant or are TTC. It can be such a devastating question to someone who is experienceing infertility or a loss.

HTH,

flagger
07-02-2004, 02:30 PM
I am sorry she made you feel bad. If she knows you are TTC, I wouldn't consider asking if you were pregnant as being illegal at all. Inappropriate, yes; illegal, no. I would consider asking questions about pregnancy in an interview as being illegal as well as terminating you because you were pregnant, but not in the way you have posted about.

But FWIW, I am sorry she made you feel bad. Just take her comments as an impetus to get up and get moving each morning. Exercising is such a PITA, but you always feel better once you get those endorphins going and that blood pumping.

And your husband said to say that he swears that the BD burns lots of calories too!!! :D (ducking and running)

momma_boo
07-02-2004, 02:56 PM
>And your husband said to say that he swears that the BD burns
>lots of calories too!!! :D (ducking and running)

Pardon my ignorance, Flagger, but what does BD mean?
I can't figure it out at all. But just for the record, if it has anything to do with sex, you've got it all WRONG. That topic can be another "Bitching" post. These days, it's DH who is too tired. ;-)

flagger
07-02-2004, 03:10 PM
It means the baby dance. Tell your husband it is just like it is going to the gym, the hardest part is putting on your shoes. But you never have a bad gym experience and some quite frankly are quite good!

Sadly those statements do NOT work on Ms. Flagger, but I try even saying some woman on the boards said that...oh wait this was supposed to go in another bitching post!