PDA

View Full Version : DS going to dad instead of me

momtoethan
07-04-2004, 08:24 PM
I have an 12 month old and in the past couple of days he's been wanting DH over me. I wanted to see if its a stage that he is going through. Prior to the last couple of days, he's always wanted me to hold him and soothe him (when he's hurt especially). But starting yesterday he'll want DH over me. I'm not really complaining but I feel alittle left out all of a sudden. I am happy that he loves his daddy but I always thought that in his time of need he would want me since I'm always home with him. Has anyone experienced this also? Thanks!

Carrie

Momof3Labs
07-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Yep, and it never lasted very long. Then Colin will only have eyes for mama, and I'll wish for the old days when I had a few moments alone!

momtoethan
07-04-2004, 08:44 PM
I was curious to know when Colin went through the phase. Thanks!

Carrie

Momof3Labs
07-04-2004, 09:41 PM
I couldn't tell you when it started (quite a while ago), but it is going on.

luvbeinmama
07-05-2004, 03:02 AM
They all do this as far as I can tell. They LOVE Daddy!! It'll all even out a bit eventually. Let your DH soak in the love. Don't worry, when they're hungry, they'll come back to Mommy!

StaceyKim
07-05-2004, 10:17 AM
My DS has been favoring DH since about 9 or 10 months old and he is 14 months now. He actually cries when DH leaves the room and follows him all over the house. He loves DH to pick him up and gives DH kisses. It definitely makes my DH feel very good! He never cries when I leave the room...I think he hardly notices! I am a SAHM and always with DS too. I think he knows that I am always around and DH isn't so he cherishes the time he has with him.
I don't know if this is a stage or not but wanted to let you know it is happening here too.
HTH

pixelprincess
07-06-2004, 12:56 AM
same here! DS is so in love with dh, and has shown a preference for him since he was 8 months old. it used to be that he wouldn't want to come back to me, once he leapt into daddy's arms.:-(, though it is so much better now. my small consolation was that he'd want me over the nanny...LOL.

and i thought i was raising a mama's boy!!! i stopped bf-ing at 5 months, and friends that have continued bf-ing don't have the same experience. wonder if there is anything to that?

diekatze
07-06-2004, 01:20 AM
How about my DS favoring grandma over me!!! When my DH, MIL, DS and I went for shopping, DH volunteered to take care of DS while ladies shop. After an hour or so, we all meet again, my DS open his arms towards his grandma! I was bit hurt.

Well, starting from week ago, he wants me all the time. He hasn't started with his dad yet but it sounds like it's coming soon.

jk3
07-06-2004, 08:06 AM
I have always bottlefed but my DS is super attached to me. I only have 2 friends left who are nursing and one of the babies is so attached to the mom he won't go to anyone else while the other is very easy going and loves to go to anyone. I think it has more to do with a child's personality than anything else. I don't think it's a reflection of the strength of a connection. A child who is well-connected to his mother may feel comfortable going to other people.

My DS has shown a preference for my DH a few times here and there. He loves my DH but I think he might be a mama's boy in the making!

Jenn
DS 6/03

McQ
07-06-2004, 09:27 AM
I can't say that Declan prefers DH over me but he definitely gets excited to see DH. Declan squeals dad-DEE when he sees him or when I turn the tub water on (DH usually gives the baths). But for everyday holding, comforting & wanting to be picked up, Declan comes to me. I just don't get the exuberant squeals that DH garners.

I think it's very normal.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

amp
07-06-2004, 11:01 AM
We go through this too and I try not to get too bothered by it. DH is a great dad, and he hasn't always been able to bask in the glow of being "needed" and wanted by his son, so I let him enjoy it. And it gives me a breather too! I figure, he sees me all day, it's not really about not wanting me. He just missed his daddy!