PDA

View Full Version : No, he's a BOY!!

DebbieJ
07-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Why do all these complete strangers keep thinking that my ds is a girl?

Today, in his cute multi colored Hanna bold striped romper, THREE people couldn't figure out that he's a boy. Seems to always happen when he's wearing primary colors.

Does this look like a girl to you?
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8704.jpg

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03

StaceyKim
07-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Looks like a boy to me (ETA: a very cute little boy too)!! Maybe these people need glasses?

emmasmom724
07-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Looks like a boy to me. :) What a cutie!!! People are blind. I had my DD is the gymboree Splash A-line top (with the bow) and bloomers and several people asked me if she was a boy. Apparently, girls aren't suppose to wear blue.

tippy
07-07-2004, 04:24 AM
Boy, boy, boy. I get that too but ds has much longer hair!

jk3
07-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Definitely a boy! He's a cutie. I get that a lot too if my DS isn't wearing dark colors which is most of the time since I like the brighter colors.

Jenn
DS 6/03

Sarah1
07-07-2004, 09:00 AM
No! He doesn't look like a girl AT ALL!!! I wouldn't dress Audrey in that because people would think she was a boy, for sure! Love that romper, btw!

Like someone else said, I think those people need glasses! I'm stumped as to why they would think he was a girl. He's a boy, and a gorgeous one at that! :)

amp
07-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Looks very much like a handsome boy to me! I thought he might have lots of long curls or something, since people seem to always mistake babies based on the hair on their heads rather than what they are wearing!

pamela mom of 3
07-07-2004, 01:29 PM
No, very cute pic btw ;) But FWIW my eldest dd was called a boy alot despite wearing a dress x( you simply cannot win sometimes.

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

hobey
07-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Definitely a boy. My DS gets that a lot too but usually because he has a lot of hair.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

candybomiller
07-07-2004, 03:15 PM
What a beautiful baby boy you have.

And, no, there is no way any SANE person would mistake him for a girl.

deborah_r
07-07-2004, 04:39 PM
This also happens to me alot with DS, especially if there is red in the outfit. I know it's frustrating. In fact I have that same outfit for him, but he hasn't grown into it yet, and I'm not sure DH is too crazy about it, so I've been thinking about exchanging it. I was definitely thinking I would get girl comments with the outfit, not because it is "girly" but because it is just kind of unisex.

Your son is beautiful, but I have to be completely honest and tell you I would not immediately be sure if he was a boy or a girl. If he was wearing a blue shirt and a baseball cap, I'd be more sure, but I don't dress my boy that way every day, and neither shold you have to. Hanna clothes seem to be loved because they let a baby "look like a baby" and that's what he looks like to me! I'm kind of bad at judging boy or girl sometimes, so a lot of times I say "how old is your baby?" and hope the person will say "He is 10 months" so I can pick up the sex. It is hard when they are babies sometimes to be able to tell, especially without a lot of hair or a bow in the hair or whatever. At this age I don't think it should really matter anyway. My ped always says "he's all boy" when she sees my DS, and I always find it such a weird comment - he's just a baby!

I would probably have leaned toward thinking your baby is a boy, but would not have been totally sure. I would probably have just said "what a beautiful, happy baby!" I hope this didn't offend you, but just wanted to offer my honest opinion

millerpjm
07-07-2004, 05:42 PM
That has happened to me.... I had DS dressed in Royal Blue knit overalls with a dragon on them and someone thought he was a girl because he has red hair that is curling in the back! But ROYAL BLUE!!!

Don't get too upset, I think you boy is darling:)

Jen

Proud mama to THomas 2/3/03

wagner36
07-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Charlie ALWAYS gets called a girl when he wears his Hanna rompers (and I went a little nuts and bought 4) - especially the one that is the green bean/water blue stripes! Green and blue = boy, right????

JenCA
07-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Definitely looks like a (very cute!) boy to me, but I would probably err on the side of caution and say, "Oh, your little one is absolutely adorable!" ;) Oh, and this is coming from the mama of a little girl who is mistaken for a boy even when wearing her Hanna frog sunDRESS!

liya
07-08-2004, 05:40 PM
super cute boy!! heck they were calling Ari a girl until he was 8 months old. sigh...ppl!!

mam615
07-13-2004, 03:45 PM
It's funny that people always assume they know. People still think Dorothy is a boy because she has so little hair. But the funniest story I ever heard was when my cousin took her baby girl out in a pink hat, pink jacket, and pink pants, and some stranger said to her, "Well, aren't you brave! Dressing your little boy all in pink!"

PJAlama
07-13-2004, 03:55 PM
All this obsession with telling boy babies apart form girl babies is just a concern pushed on parents by the modern kids' clothing industry. Look at pictures of babies from Victorian times: both boys and girls were dressed in the same long white gowns (which must have made it very easy to get at the diaper area!). Clothing sellers started the pink for girls, blue for boys thing so they could sell you more clothes, because as long as you had kids of 2 different sexes, you'd have to buy 2 different sets of clothes. Let's face it, they're just babies, it doesn't matter whether they're XX or XY. If anyone wants to know their sex, they can change their diapers!

Pauline

DeeEast
07-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Too funny. My DD always gets called a BOY! Considering the fact that I always have her wearing something very girly, its lost its comedic value and is starting to piss me off. I had her out week before last in her Gymbo EH poodle skirt and lavender sleeveless sweater with a bow at her neck and white sandals and TWO idiots called her a boy. WTF?

tarahsolazy
07-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Definately boy to me, I'd have assumed he was a little guy, and I sure would have commented on the romper, I love those! We get this too, and my kid looks plenty masculine, I think. But he has big blue eyes with long lashes, my coworkers think that's why people think he's a girl. I also refuse to do sports themed clothes, since DH and I are both geeky non-sporty types. so that doesn't help.

Judegirl
07-17-2004, 11:02 PM
I'm late on this one, so I may have missed you, but I wanted to thank you for your post...how refreshing!!

Jude, who actually wants strangers not to know...! *grin*