PDA

View Full Version : Kind of bummed (sorry--long)

miki
07-13-2004, 04:00 PM
I put my resume out at the end of the spring to see if I could get a PT teaching job at a local community college, just for fun not for money. I got a response right away to teach an employment law class. The person from the school called and pretty much said the job was mine and meeting me in person later in the summer when she got back from vacation was just to check I wasn't wacko.

Since then I've been looking into getting a sitter who can come once a week while I teach this class in the evening. I didn't realize it would be so hard to find someone. The hours I need covered start too early for someone who has a regular day job. It would be impossible to have DH come home early once a week since he just started this job and his workload is very unpredictable anyway. Plus, since I talked with the school, DD's schedule shifted dramatically. With her old schedule, the sitter would have really just sat in the house while she slept. Now DD would need everything--play, dinner, more play, bath, bedtime routine--and DH just is not comfortable with a stranger having to do all that. (Does not help that we just watched Capturing the Friedmans which made DH more paranoid.) Not to mention that DD is naturally very slow to warm up to new things and having a stranger put her to bed once a week might just be a total disaster. DH can't even put her down for a nap without her freaking out and crying hysterically.

So today I just withdrew my application for this job. Which is really the best thing for DD. She would do much better if she is old enough to drop that morning nap and I could teach a morning class while she was over at a friend's house for a few hours playing. And I know there will be other chances later seeing as I got this one pretty easily. It just kind of sucks since I had already mulled it over in my head and was looking forward to it.

Hmmmph.

Jacksonvol
07-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Oh Wen, I am so sorry. I do hope the school will have a better class available for you next time. It sounds like a neat idea.

Lisa

Dcclerk
07-14-2004, 02:07 PM
That is very disappointing. I'm impressed with your positive attitude already. I'm sure an even better opportunity will come to you when the timing is right. Hugs.

Puddy73
07-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Aw shucks! Maybe a morning class will open up next semester. :) Please forgive my nosiness, but are you an attorney? I've often thought that I'd like to teach a college course, but I assumed that I would need a graduate degree in addtion to my J.D.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

JElaineB
07-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Sorry it didn't work out, Wen. Just make sure to let them know you are still interested for the spring for a daytime class. I'm lucky DH gets off work fairly early so I am able to teach a night class. It would be hard to find someone for early evenings. Daytime are easier, I have found several home daycare providers willing to do only one day a week (which is what I do right now). Good luck, hope you can work it out for spring semester.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

miki
07-15-2004, 10:54 AM
I am. I only have the JD. This community college was looking for at least a JD. I think that's all you really need to teach undergrad. Here's a link to a post I put out looking for advice on how to present myself because I don't have formal teaching experience: http://tinyurl.com/4w5my . I think the suggestions were great, very helpful. HTH and good luck.