PDA

View Full Version : My meltdown and weekend from HELL...

McQ
07-20-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm at the end of my rope. What's precipitating this is that DH has been traveling a lot for work these last few months. I told him he was grounded come August so he's been cramming in all his business trips in before then. I've pretty much been on my own off and on since May. He's usually home on weekends but the last 5 weekends he's either been away or we've been away together. I've had enough. I need to stay home. I need him to stay home. I need some help.

So this weekend we had to go to his mother's. I'm burning this wretched memory in my brain so next summer when I feel guilty that she hasn't seen Declan since Christmas I can call up this post and not get sucked into it again. It was awful. Just plain awful. DH went up a few days ahead of us so he could do some things that needed fixing around her house. Things he couldn't do with Declan there. And things that I didn't need to be there for since I'd be stuck with her while he was doing the repairs. It was 48 hours of hell. Declan & I got there on Saturday and the house was worse than I remembered. My MIL is the knick knack queen. Every square inch of surface and wall space has some kind of crap on it. There was an end table with 6 or 7 miniature ceramic pitchers on it. The coffee table has 2 antique porcelain domes covering candles. The remote control tray is ceramic. There were candles sitting in glass bowls filled with MARBLES on the floor. There were ceramic and glass items all over the house. She had mardi gras beads hanging from her lamps. She had tea cups lining her window sills. Crap crap crap crap crap crap. And she didn't bother to pick up anything up (mush less clean around it). Does she not think that a 15 month old will touch anything. No, she didn't care. She told me he could touch whatever he wanted and she pretty much thought I was a freak for moving all her crap. Not only that, when a friend of hers stopped by and we were doing bubbles outside we went to go talk inside and she said to Declan that he could bring the bubbles into the house. I said no he couldn't, that the bubbles needed to stay outside. She turned around and looked me dead in the face and said he could do whatever he wanted to in her house. And I said no he couldn't, that he would not be allowed to run amuck and that bubbles were not appropriate for indoors. She shrugged her shoulders and said "geez, what am I going to do with you". WTF! What's she going to do with me. What am I going to do with you lady. Argh. So fast forward many more moments like this until the last day when Declan got into her linen closet and found a can of scrubbing bubbles. I said "we don't play with cleaners" and took it away from him. She again said that he can play with anything he wants. I said he doesn't play with cleaning products and she says there were none in there. I said there were scrubbing bubbles and her reply was "oops, what do I know". Apparently not much. And to think that DH even suggested taking Declan up ahead of time so she could watch Declan to give me a break. I don't think so.

On top of all this, she's a horrible conversationist. The woman doesn't talk. She sits back and wants you to do all the talking. So I asked about all the family, her friends, and what not. I really tried but she's just so darn boring and full of stupid sayings. This one time we're in the living room watching tv and she says "Allison, don't you want to talk to me?" I say "sure, what do you want to talk about?" Her reply "oh the birds and the bees, the flowers and the trees, whatever you want to talk about". WTF! How on earth do I respond to that!

And she's a horrible cook. Her refrigerator is so cluttered that she found a ham in there. Who loses a ham in a refrigerator?! And then keeps offering it to her guests. Gross.

DH was not helping one bit as she was driving him nuts too so he was still "finishing" his projects. So he pretty much shafted me the whole weekend. Until he dropped the frick fracken bomb on me that he might have to be away for work again this week, and maybe some next week. Argh! Not what I needed to hear.

So finally it's time to go. We have an hour and 15 minute flight home. Well wouldn't you know it that the flight was delayed. And then they boarded us and made us wait while they pumped the bathroom. And then they couldn't land at our home airport so they circled for well over an hour. And then they ran out of fuel so we got diverted to another airport. So then we waited on the tarmac while they refueled and issued us a new flight plan. All in all it took us about 8 hours to get home. Declan (who has 4 teeth including molars coming in) had been a trooper through most of this missed a nap and refused to sit in his carseat on the plane was not a happy camper but finally feel asleep on me. The best part of the weekend but exhausting and I felt so helpless that I couldn't make him feel better.

So once we get home and got Declan to bed I pretty much had my meltdown. I really can't take DH traveling all the time and leaving me home pregnant with a toddler - even a good toddler. I'm starting to stress out. My body is starting to hurt. I can't keep up this pace. I haven't done anything for myself in ages. I need a hair cut. I missed my yoga classes. I don't get any down time. I've been too tired to exercise at night when Declan goes to bed that I'm really freaked out by the weight I'm gaining and that I won't be prepared for labor. Yes I know I'm pregnant but I feel like for every pound I've gained in my belly, I've gained one in my rear end. I'm not doing well with that at all. I'm not going to be ready to have this baby. I'm 32 weeks - Declan was born at 35 weeks. I'm scared that I'll go early again and I'm not going to be ready. I've got to slow down, I just don't know how. My nanny helps a lot but I work her longer hours when DH goes out of town so I can't ask her to stay even longer. DH & I make extra meals in advance so all I have to do is heat them but there are days when I'm just too tired to even eat. I really don't know what to do next or how I'm gong to make it through these next 2 weeks if DH has to be out of town.

Thanks for coming to my pity party if you've made it this far. I know I can come here to vent, but I need suggestions on how to make it through. Why does it have to be this hard!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

ismommy
07-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Allison,

CALL ME NOW!!!! I dont have time to respond but I do have time to help!!! So call.
Okay Bella is playing happily for a few minutes and no contractors at leats for a few moments. So first I am sorry about your weekend. UGH on MIL's in general and yours specific.
Second if DH travels - I would be more than happy to come over and wtach Declan so you can exercise some nights. Let me know what else can help relieve your stress and I try to help there too.

Marisa6826
07-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Awwww Allison!

I"m so sorry. I think I would personally have lost my mind in tschotchke hell also.

However, I am still howling over the prospect of losing a ham in the refrigerator ;) :P.

Is this how your husband grew up? Good grief! Good thing you rescued him!

I don't really have any suggestions for you, only sympathy. Do you have anybody that can stay with you to take some of the pressure off? A girl friend, sister, relative that doesn't drive you crazy and misplace pork products?

I'm sorry that you don't live closer. I have plenty of room, Sophie and Declan could play together and we could waddle while we commiserate ;).

Big hugs

-m

PS - I think you should send your MIL to visit your former neighbour lady :). Tell her she's a GREAT Nanny ;).

pritchettzoo
07-20-2004, 12:10 PM
No suggestions, just a big hug.

Anna

amazz
07-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Allison--

You don't know me from Adam, but I just wanted to write you a message anyway. I am so sorry that you are feeling bad about so many different things right now. You don't need this! You are having a baby in less than a month!!!

The only advice I can give is that you have got to slow down. You know that in your head but you actually have to put this into practice. You are a wonderful mom to Declan and a great support to those of us who frequent these boards. Now you need to be a good friend to yourself and take a break. You owe that to yourself AND to your unborn baby. Honestly it doesn't matter if your house is clean and all the laundry is done and all the other stuff if your baby is at risk.

I don't have advice on what to do about your DH. I wish that I did. All I can say is to talk to him about how you are feeling. I'm sure someone else on here will have some better advice in this category.

If you are like me, you have had friends tell you, "well if you need anything just give me a call." Now is the time to call in the troops. Maybe it is to make a playdate so you can take a nap or get a group of your women friends together and go get a mani and pedi (or whatever it is that you do to pamper yourself). Maybe you could gt some people to sign up to bring dinner over next week. Maybe you just need a fellow mom to spend some time with and share your woes and joys. When people say they want to help you, take them up on the offer! You are not weak to ask for help. Admitting you need it makes you a better mommy because you are doing what is best for you and your babies!!!!

I wish I could just give you a hug right now because it sounds like you could use one. I'm sending good thoughts and some prayers your way this week. When I am having a really bad day my mom always tells me to think of at least one good thing that happened in the day so I can consider the day a success. And I think that with the cutie little boy you have at home you can think of lots of successes during a day. Take heart in knowing that even though you feel like you are alone, you are not. I know that many people here think a great deal of you and care about you, as well as your friends and family.

Take care of yourself this week, and again I will be thinking of you!

(BTW, I can totally commiserate about the lbs. put on in the belly and the rear! I close my eyes everytime I walk past our full length mirror and I can barely get out of DH's SUV because I am so big in front and back. Ah the joys of birthin' babies. :) )

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

aguinn
07-20-2004, 01:06 PM
allison,

i think we have the same MIL. DH told me last night that his mother wants to make a MUSEUM in their house for all her crap. i almost fell over!

it will get better (even if it takes a while longer)! just keep that as your mantra!

;)amy
proud momma to DS 2003

Dscvrlifewith3
07-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Allison,

BIg Hugs too you!!!

I am still laughing about your MIL losing a ham in the fridge! :)

Kim
I sleep little!

jk3
07-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Next summer (if you must see her) have your MIL visit you if at all possible. Pay for the ticket if need be. It's much easier on your own turf. With 2 kids it will be even more horrendous to visit her house. I don't know what it is with the not setting any limits w/the grandkids deal. My MIL is the same way. She claims she doesn't ant to upset my DS. He might not like her or some other crap like that. I've explained to her that my DH + I are constantly setting limits yet somehow our DS is very attached to us. Drives me crazy too!

I feel badly that your husband travels so much. That must be very difficult. I agree that you should reach out to your friends. Even though everyone is busy, I'm sure there are ways, big + small, that they can help out.

=)

Jenn
DS 6/03

cinrein
07-20-2004, 03:41 PM
(((Allison)))

Good heavens woman! How did you make it through all that crap? I would have had a meltdown on the plane, for sure.

What can I do to help? Really honestly truly. We can watch Declan or do whatever so that you can at least go get your hair cut. Do you want someone to just hang out with you to help watch Declan on weekends? I'm not sure what will help (sorry) but if you can think of anything just ask.

Honey, you're getting really close to your due date and your body is working so hard. It's supposed to be much harder than the last time--last time you weren't chasing after a toddler. Don't stress about a yoga tape you're not doing---if you're too tired to do it then your body is saying it's too much. Even if all your days were perfect, you'd still be tired because I bet you're not sleeping as well. So do me a favor and when you get home tonight and feel too tired to do anything, heat up one of your prepared meals anyway, eat it, then go to bed.

I'm also LOLing at the lost ham. Good heavens!

Cindy and Anna February 2003

amp
07-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Oh crap, Allison! What a cruddy weekend! I'm sorry you are so stressed out right now. I have no advice, but I want you to know that I can completely relate to the nick nack hell you were living in this weekend. In fact, much of your interaction with your MIL sounds way too terribly, frighteningly familiar. If John had a brother or sister, I'd wonder if it was the same woman! Hugs to you! And I'm so excited about the baby we are all waiting for. I've followed you through the whole pregnancy and it's very exciting!

ETA: I didn't give you any pointers either, did I. Guess I was bitching myself! Anyway, my DH travels a bit too. Not as much as yours has, but I spent all of last week by myself. Thank goodness I'm not dealing with a toddler and a pregnancy right now! Eek! I can email or pm my phone number to you if you need an ear! Or, you can give me yours. Scratch that. I'm just going to pm you right now and if you find yourself needing a shoulder, call me!

sntm
07-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Allison -- what an awful wretched weekend! Hope it at least felt good to rant for a while. Wish I was closer to help out some.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

papal
07-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Allison!!!! Big hugs to you! Goodness, your MIL sounds like my worst nightmare, how on earth did you maintain your calm in her house!

Please slow down mama.. i know, easier said that done. PLEASE let us know what we can do to help out... i am sure there is SOMETHING we can do.. do let us know girlie!! If you can find a few moments in a day to shut yourself into your room and do some meditation and deep breathing.. that would rejuvenate you for a bit (helps if you put in earplugs). S L O W - D O W N.

Rikkele
07-21-2004, 12:37 AM
OMG! What a horrible weekend! I can't believe you were able to hold it together until you got home. I remember that very pregnant, over-it, fatigued, overwhelmed and underprepared feeling (wasn't too long ago for me) and I didn't even have a toddler to chase after! Do you have any family like a sister or friend that could come to stay for a little while to help out? I don't know how you are doing this being alone so much. I get upset when DH is on call and has to be away for the whole night - if he was away for a week I would need admission to the looney bin.
Please take care of yourself and baby! Do not do any cleaning except minimal dishes and laundry to get by. Try to eat something even if you are not hungry for your baby's sake. Do not even worry one second about the weight - you can deal with that later. For now your priority should be reducing stress, eating well, preventing pretem labor and having a healthy baby!

Sorry about your crazy MIL - I know your DH cannot be very old but she sounds like she has not been around a baby in the last century!!

Even though I do not "know" you at all I will be thinking about you and sending prayers your way! :)

McQ
07-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks much for the hugs, notes, calls and offers to help. They all made me feel much better. I'd already trimmed every where that I could and just couldn't foresee having to do it all by myself for one more day. Asking for help - and admitting you need it - is one of the hardest things to do. But I'm happy to report that there is light at the in of the tunnel! DH doesn't leave until tomorrow and could be home as early as Saturday, but probably some time next week. So I've asked my mother to come up and help out. Now I'll actually get to go to yoga, keep my dentist appointment and get my hair cut - some semblance of doing something for me. Oh the simple things in life! Plus we're going to run over to the fabric store (another thing I had been putting off) because my mother is going to make the curtains for the new nursery. Which by the way, the furniture is being delivered for today. That was another thing freaking me out as DH was supposed to be there for the delivery and to move the guest bed out of that room. Like I could have done that.

So thanks all. Don't know what I'd do without ya.

Marisa - I'd love to come hang out in the corral with you & Sophie! Wish you were closer and I would.

And the museum of crap. That just made me laugh :)
Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04