PDA

View Full Version : Tired of selfish hubby!

SeekerMage
07-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Just a general rant...Im so tired of how selfish my DH can be. Granted he can be great half the time, but he only thinks of himself whenever he is out. I asked him to go to Trader Joes to get bread and eggs and whatever else he thought sounded good. We have been there before and he KNOWS what I like to eat and what we have gotten before.....what does he buy? Bread (granted he bought two loafs one of which he knows I like) eggs, chips and salsa (his splurg ALL the timefor HIMSELF) and several meals for himself for lunch. His excuse...he didnt know what I would like and didnt want to spend too much money. HELLO....didnt stop you from buying the several meals he wanted for lunches did it? You would think after being married for almost four years and living with me, seeing me eat, shopping together etc...you would think he would know what I like! He knows I have a major sweet tooth lately and anything will do! GRRRRR....
Ok Im done....I think I will take my own trip to the store and get only what I want and make him stay at home and watch the kids!

Sigh...all this talk one the boards about what to get at Trader Joes and nothing good for me to enjoy :(

Marisa6826
07-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Um, I'd eat all his lunch stuff ;).

Honestly, I learned a loooooong time ago that men suck at impromptu grocery shopping. Jonathan is NEVER sent to get anything without a painfully detailed list.

Pick up a few bags of the TJ's chocolate covered pretzels and stash them. They soothe many, many psychological and emotional wounds ;) :P.

-m

khakismom
07-29-2004, 01:22 PM
>Honestly, I learned a loooooong time ago that men suck at
>impromptu grocery shopping. Jonathan is NEVER sent to get
>anything without a painfully detailed list.

My DH too. He never seems to remember what we eat, even though *HE* eats it every week too. And what the girls eat--forget it. He throws food at them but doesn't seem to notice what it is. When he grocery shops, you have to write everything down, and a generic "bread" won't cut it either. You have to tell him specifically the name brand of the bread, the exact kind, or he will come back with the wrong kind. Even with these details, he still has come back with the wrong kind.

So Kathryn, I hear ya and feel ya. Hope it gets better!! And I agree with Marisa, chocolate helps! :)

californiagirl
07-29-2004, 05:15 PM
My DH is better than most at this kind of stuff. One symptom of this is that if I told him to get whatever he thought sounded good, he would refuse, and demand to know at least what categories I wanted. I could tell him to get ice cream, and he'd get something I liked or at the very least something he didn't have any reason to know my opinion on. But if he didn't have at least that much to go on, he might get any old food item I sometimes like (which explains why we have two things of limeade, which I do enjoy but only have about once a summer usually).

I do think I would have expected at least an attempt, though. The day that DH went to the grocery when I was just too over my head to be helpful, he did bring back those two cans of limeade, and I thanked him and told him how thoughtful he was, and suggested that we now did not need any more, those were lovely but sufficient.

miki
07-29-2004, 05:17 PM
ITA. If I send DH to the store with a list, he still has to call me and be on the phone almost the whole time to clarify. I just go myself.

Emmas Mom
07-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Ugh...I never let my husband do the grocery shopping. We'd end up eating junk food for every meal! Or cereal...his classic stand by dinner. Men!

alkagift
07-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Oh, yeah, I feel your pain. I tell my husband that we have officially weaned on Tuesday and he says that he'll go to the grocery store for me. I say great. I'm feeling pitiful, so I say, please get something for dessert. He says ok.

Drumroll, please.

He comes back with imitation nilla wafers. Not only NOT REAL Nilla Wafers, but some sort of off-brand, like "Murray" or something, with the words "artifical flavoring added" emblazoned on the front of the box. It's so sad.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

californiagirl
07-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Hmm. Those are only a dessert if you pound them up to make a cheesecake crust out of them in my book. Does he really eat them and enjoy them?

Melanie
07-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Ah that stinks. I actually have to write out 'chocolate' on the list or Dh won't buy it.

sirensrise
07-31-2004, 09:32 PM
wait! your dh actually goes to the store? mine just complain that we are out of juice. yesterday, he actually went to the store for the first time in years, NOTHING for me or the baby, whatsoever!
oh well.

tippy
07-31-2004, 11:39 PM
LOL!!! And I though I was the only one who had to phone shop with her DH! In the few rare instances he actually went to to store he called me and while on the phone with him I actually got on the phone with a store employee who picked the items off the shelf FOR HIM!!! because he "couldn't find them"! How pathetic. Oh, and there was the time I sent him to the health food store to pick up some celery (I was making chicken soup for ds)and he walked into the store and said "I need celery, what is it and where can I find it?" Really, the girl was like..."You've never done this before, have you?" Well, at least he tries. I think he just makes it difficult and annoying so I won't ask him to do it anymore!

Melanie
08-01-2004, 02:12 AM
"I need celery, what is it and where can I find it?"

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy07.gif

deborah_r
08-01-2004, 02:53 AM
My DH eats those nilla wafers as a dessert, but he...

another drumroll please...

puts them in a cup of milk and then kind of half drinks it and half scoops it out of the spoon. (And did I mention he eats laying down...oh yes, I think I've mentioned that...)

But he would surely insist on "real" Nilla Wafers!!!

tippy
08-01-2004, 03:22 AM
Um...how do you "drink" while laying down? Now that is impressive!

deborah_r
08-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Well, it's more of a laying down while propped up on one arm so the top portion of his body and his head are elevated!

starrynight
08-04-2004, 02:17 AM
My dh and I have been together 8 years and living together for 5 of those and he still hasn't a clue what I like geesh.

I sent him in the store for bread, milk and fruit for the baby. He comes out with bread, milk and 6 packs of cookies for himself. Nice huh? And he said I never told him to get fruit for the baby, yeah I did but since he doesn't eat it he didn't remember. And I just meant regular stuff bananas and apples not complicated jarred dinners or anything!

Mine is pretty much selfish about everything though, money, time to himself, not helping etc. I'm used to it by now urgh.

Sorry you dh did that to you!

Audreymom
08-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Honestly, I think it is a stragey that these men have. If they don't do it "right" then they don't have to do it at all. I started making my dh be responsible for my dd's meals every other week and I let him do it himself without stepping in (it was SO hard). The first few days were brutal but now he probably makes her more nutritious lunches than I do.