PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a DH who eats laying down on the couch?

deborah_r
07-29-2004, 03:39 AM
Kathryn's post made me remember I wanted to bitch about this. This habit of my DH's irks me to no end. I have accepted that he will not eat at the table on a regular basis. I've accepted that the TV will be on during meals. Do I have to accept that he will lay down on the couch while eating? Who eats laying down??? I fear the day my DS wants to do this. Besides being annoying, don't you think it would be really bad for your digestion to do this? And he won't listen to reason. He also hates going to restaurants because he says it's uncomfortable to sit in most of the chairs or booths that are provided. Occasionally we find a restaurant with seating he finds acceptable. Maybe if after posting this I get a flood of reponses from other people that do it, I will open a restaurant where everyone can lay on a couch while they eat!!! His mom and grandmother let him eat on the floor while watching TV as a child, and this is what I get today!

tinkerbell1217
07-29-2004, 09:14 AM
When I was growing up we didn't have regular "dinner table" meals. Sometimes on Sunday at breakfast we would and at holidays, but it depended how many people were there. So, we have always been an "eat in the living room watching TV" type of household and I have continued that with my own family. We do all eat together and we do talk even though the TV is usually on. But, I have NEVER heard of someone lying down to eat! Except the episode of King of Queens where Doug was lying down eating doritos or cheetos or whatever he was eating. I thought it very strange! Maybe your DH digestion is better lying down?? Sound like if he sits up and eats its uncomfortable. That would explain the restaurant thing anyway.

jupster75
07-29-2004, 11:04 AM
My DH lays down ON OUR BED, facing the TV and puts his drink on the footboard. The wood finish on the bed is messing up where he constantly puts his drinks. I have constantly asked him not to do this. DH's family never ate together. They ate whatever they wanted, when and where they wanted. I am trying now to break these bad habits so Audrey won't grow up like this also.

Jennifer, mom to Audrey 11/3/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041103/3/16/3/-5/.png

Marisa6826
07-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Um. Maybe it's uncomfortable for him to sit at a table because his pants are too tight? ;) :P

Have you told him how much it upsets you and how it's providing a bad example for Kai?

I would emphasize how important it is to you to have "family" meals and see how he responds to it.

-m

Sarah1
07-29-2004, 04:47 PM
No! I can see why this irks you! I wouldn't nag, though. That will probably just make things worse.

I'd start with baby steps. Tell him nicely how much you would like to have a special family (or couple) night at the table. Don't bring up his habit of laying on the sofa. I bet, if you are really sweet about it, he would agree to sitting at the table ONE night out of the week. Then work up from there. This is a habit he formed as a child (argh) so patience is key. Hopefully, by the time Kai is several years old and starts to form memories, he won't remember his dad laying over on the sofa, chowin' down!!!!

bunnisa
07-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Apparently it's just that your DH is hipper and trendier than you:

http://www.bedmiami.com/

;)

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

tinkerbell1217
07-29-2004, 07:55 PM
That is just too funny!!!

deborah_r
07-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Oh My God! That is too funny! I love this:

"Attire should be fashionably chic and hip, yet relaxed; elegant yet casual"

I don't think I could get in, unless LL Bean is considered chic and hip!

tippy
07-31-2004, 10:32 PM
Ok. The only thing I can think of that would make this senario worse than it already is is...

a) he does so in his guiney-t and boxers
b) he does so while watching professional bowling
c) he does so while watching The World Wrestling Federation.

I feel for you!

deborah_r
08-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Nope, generally he watches the Food Network (Iron Chef, Good Eats) or some documentary or another. Lately he unfortunately has a fascination with watching "Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica", because he likes to laugh at how stupid they are. He informed me that Jessica thought a woodpecker was made of wood. Tee-hee!

tippy
08-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Just snorted water out of my nose! THANKS! :-)