PDA

View Full Version : LONG -- Psycho cleaning lady story

octmom
08-05-2004, 03:49 PM
I am finally calm enough to type, so here I am in the bitching forum. I decided a few months ago that hiring someone to come in and clean every other week would be a smart thing to do. DH and I both work FT and we want to spend our time not at work with DS, not just cleaning the house. I still think this is a good idea, just not with the person I hired to do this.

I keep in touch with 6 other moms from my childbirth prep class. It's a great group-- we'd meet for lunch almost once a week while we were on maternity leave (all the babies were born within a few weeks of each other) and we e-mail all the time, plus we try to get together when everyone's crazy schedules permit. One of the other moms had a cleaning lady and said that the woman had an opening in her schedule. Another mom jumped on it and hired the woman. Mom #2 told me that the cleaning lady lectured her up and down about clutter, but that she did a good job cleaning. She was thorough and, this may sound silly, but because she (cleaning lady) is Mennonite, we thought she would be very trustworthy, so neither of us was uncomfortable about her being in our homes while we were not there. I never talked with mom #1 about her experiences with the cleaning lady, but mom #2 told me that the woman lectured her and made her feel guilty, but she was satisfied with her cleaning.

Fast forward a couple of months—cleaning lady has another opening in her schedule and we decide to try it out. Cleaning lady comes over and to meet with DH and me, looks at our house and gives me the lecture about clutter (though we had hidden away almost anything that could be considered clutter before she arrived), and tells me that she is very particular. You want a cleaning person to be particular, right? She comes to clean for the first time a week later while we are on vacation. We were compulsive about cleaning the house (picking up clutter and also actually cleaning things) before we left. I think we were both feeling like we wanted to make a good impression. (Why, I don't know.) We come back from vacation and the house is clean. Not sparkling like I had never seen it before, but quite clean. In hindsight, it wasn't that much cleaner than it was when we left since we had done so much prep. She had taken all of our underbed storage boxes and placed them on to of the beds, so that she could clean under the beds. I was impressed that she cleaned under the beds. She also placed some baskets of toys on the sofa, presumably when she vacuumed.

Two weeks later, she was due to come again. DH and I spent the two evenings prior to her visit cleaning—picking up everything (stashing junk in closets at times) and doing some actual cleaning. Before we left the house on the morning she was scheduled to come in, we placed the underbed storage boxes on top of the beds, to make it easier for her. The house was clean when we left for work. All was fine. Again, the house looks clean when I return home, but I am not blown away by how sparkly it is.

This morning—cleaning lady’s third visit to our house. We pick up everything-- toys placed in baskets, baskets place on sofa (as she had done), moved underbed boxes to tops of beds, made sure all counters were clear, sink was empty, etc. DH did some of this (underbed boxes) after I left the house with DS for daycare/ work. Around 10:00 a.m., cleaning lady leaves me a voicemail message at work. I call back (her cell phone number), thinking that she is either canceling on me because she is sick or maybe DH forgot to leave the key out. No, that’s not the reason for her call. She is calling to yell at me about my house not being clean enough for her to clean!!! At first, I am embarrassed and apologize. I try to explain that we moved things to the tops of the beds, etc., because we thought that was what she wanted us to do to make it easier for her to clean under the beds. She doesn’t relent.

Then I start thinking about how clean my house is (pretty darn clean) and I start to get annoyed that this woman is lecturing me in a very loud voice and passing judgment on me. We went round and round with her telling me in a very loud voice that she thought she had made her expectations clear, etc., etc., until I finally tried to be nice and told her that I didn’t think this arrangement was working out. She just kept on badgering me and that she worked hard and took pride in her work. I finally reached my breaking point and I told her that I also worked hard to earn money that was using to pay her to clean my house, not to yell at me about the way I live. I told her that I thought I understood that she was very particular and that was a good quality to look for when you wanted someone to clean, but that I didn’t understand that she was actually talking about being compulsive. That word set her off and she yelled something at me again and then HUNG UP ON ME!

I was furious and she was in my house (about 15 minutes from my office and DH”s office). I called DH and filled him in and told him that he needed to go home and deal with her because I would end up really letting her have it. He called her cell phone (I gave him the number) while he drove home and she tried to give him the same garbage she gave to me. He said that he was coming home to pay her for the work she had done already. She went on and on to him about finishing the job, etc. Finally he told her to take the check ($80) and leave. When he got home, she was gone and the key was there for us. She called the house a short while later (she didn’t expect anyone to be there and thought she’d leave a message, but DH answered), and told him that maybe she WAS compulsive and that she was asking for my forgiveness and for the Dear Lord’s forgiveness. He told her that we wished her the best and he regretted that this did not work out.

DH walked around the house and said that as far as he can tell, the only thing she had done was pull the dining room chairs out from the table to vacuum. Everything else was as we had left it. He was so mad by this point that he took digital photos of several rooms just to prove that we had not left a disaster for her to clean. He e-mailed them to me when he got back to the office andI finally got to laugh about how insane this whole experience has been. I guess it’s good that I can laugh about this now, but I was NOT laughing a few hours ago!!!

I’ve already forewarned mom #2 from my childbirth prep group that she will probably get an earful from the cleaning lady about me and she and I had a good laugh about it. I e-mailed the house photos to her and she agrees that it was NOT messy. Mom #1 has moved out-of-state now, so I guess she won’t hear the dirt (ha!) on me from the cleaning lady, but I definitely won’t recommend this woman to anyone else!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://lilypie.com/baby1/041029/3/3/3/-5/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

amp
08-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Wow. I don't even know what else to say. I guess you should be glad you are rid of her. Who needs that kind of cleaning stress before the cleaning lady comes?! Sheesh!

McQ
08-05-2004, 04:27 PM
OMG that woman is CRAZY!!! A complete wacko. I'm so glad she's out of your house and you don't have to deal with that nut any more.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

lisams
08-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Wow, that's just crazy. I'm sorry you were yelled at, to me it sounds like you did way more than most people would do to prep the house for the cleaner.

Hope you are able to find someone who does a good job and doesn't chew you out!

Lisa

marinkitty
08-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Jerilyn:

How terrible (but terribly funny)! That woman is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

I hope you find someone new and wonderful (and you know (wink wink) you really aren't supposed to spend two nights cleaning before the cleaning lady - she is supposed to SAVE you time!) We are in the midst of letting our third cleaning lady go and I have a new service coming on Monday (never used a service before and am a bit nervous about that).

For what it's worth, my experience with cleaning ladies is that you need to change them up every two to three years as they seem to slowly get complacent. Maybe its because I don't pre-clean for them (straighten yes, clean no)????? LOL.

Edited to add a disclaimer that I reread the previous paragraph and I hope it doesn't come off as elitist - I didn't mean that AT ALL. Just that maybe people get too comfy and don't give 110% after awhile. Happens in a lot of jobs, I'm sure.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.23.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050323/0/0/1/-6/.png

Jeanmick
08-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Wow. Sorry about your bad experience. We had to go through a few cleaning services/people before we found a couple of really nice ladies who do the job the way we like it. Hopefully you'll find someone soon.

wagner36
08-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Oh my god, what a nutjob. I used to pre-clean for our cleaning lady too - well, at least de-clutter and organize, but then I got bored with that. I actually think that our cleaning lady cleans a little bit harder when there's messiness to deal with. DH said she likes to organize, so now I leave the piles around - she even puts the piles of magazines and catalogs in alphabetical order!!

I agree with Holly, though, and sometimes you do have to switch it up a little bit to get people working hard again. We use a service, and have had the same cleaning lady for quite awhile now. I had never met her before (DH is a SAHD), and recently did for the first time, and she is GORGEOUS. I can't believe that DH never told me that before!!

Marisa6826
08-05-2004, 08:16 PM
I think I would have dropped her after the first time. Geez. What a loon. I would NOT hire her back. God knows what she's doing (looking through papers, etc.) when you're not there. And besides, cleaning before she gets there? I'm lucky I'm *conscious* when my lady gets here :).

I'm not particularly thrilled with my cleaning lady, either, at the moment. However, they're SOOO hard to find by word of mouth and I definitely don't have the energy to do it myself, I figure it's better than nothing.

Glad you can laugh about it. ;)

-m

jbowman
08-05-2004, 09:40 PM
After reading your post, I want to call and yell at her! That lady has issues!

lrucci
08-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Wow! Sorry to hear you had to deal with such a whacko.

Maybe I'm being a bit naive but aren't cleaning people suppose to CLEAN. That is ridiculous for you to have to go through all that hassle to clean before she comes, only for her to tell you that your house is not clean enough for her. You are definitely better off without her.

Hopefully you will have a much better experience next time, if you choose to go there again!

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

octmom
08-06-2004, 09:52 AM
DH and I have decided that this whole situation is a very Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) scenario.

After walking around the house last night, I decided that she took our check for $80 (told DH that they- she and her daughter-- had already done "quite a bit") and she had not done a darn thing! DH noticed the dining room chairs had been moved, but she had not even vacuumed in there! The only thing that looked different was that my shower curtain in the master bathroom was inside the tub rather than outside the tub, where I had left it. I guess she cleaned the tub, but it wasn't spectacular!

I am chalking this up to a lesson learned and I just want this woman out of my life. Sheesh!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://lilypie.com/baby1/041029/3/3/3/-5/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Vajrastorm
08-18-2004, 04:21 PM
ROFL!!!

I'm sorry you had to deal with the Crazy Cleaning Lady but thanks for sharing the story. :) I needed some giggles this morning.