PDA

View Full Version : Rescheduling Pediatrician appointments...why does it have to be a battle?

Jeanmick
08-05-2004, 06:27 PM
This happened yesterday. My DS's 18 month appointment was scheduled for 9AM two weeks from this Friday, but unfortunately, I had to reschedule. I called the doctor's office (it's in a medical clinic and a group of pediatricians have their practice there) to change the date. When I talked to the receptionist, she told me that the first available appointment was in November. HUH? Wait 2 months for my DS's 18 month appointment which would take no more than 15-20 minutes tops? My son would be at least 20+ months old by then. Granted it's a well-baby checkup and there are no significant problems with my DS (thank goodness) but I couldn't believe that there was absolutely no available time until November. I was nice about it, but I asked her if this was common practice for pediatricians to have a parent wait for an 18 month well-baby checkup that long. She put me on hold to ask the nurse and when she came back on, she told me that the nurse said it was okay since there were no shots being given. I really didn't like that answer, so I politely insisted that this was unacceptable. I told her that if it was an appointment for me, maybe I'd consider waiting, but when it came to the children, I didn't think that children under two should have to wait that long for their well-baby checkups. The gal put me on hold again (probably to tell the nurse that she had a nutso-psycho parent on the other line) and lo and behold, there was an 8:30 AM opening the Wednesday after my original Friday appointment.

Was I wrong to insist? I don't think so. I guess it's my job as a parent to be my children's advocate. I'm not assertive/aggressive by nature, but I'm finding more often than not that I have to be this way. Oh well.

lisams
08-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Not wrong at all. And I always find that there is some kind of question that comes up as the appointment gets closer, so I'm always glad I have that appointment to talk with the ped about my concerns.

I know what you mean about finding yourself being more assertive, I'm the same way!

Lisa

MKH76
08-05-2004, 06:40 PM
You did a great job. You said it yourself, you are your child's advocate!! Good for you.

Jeanmick
08-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Thank you both for your responses. It made me feel better about being a more "assertive" person when it comes to my children. Now I gotta work on being assertive for myself... :)

jubilee
08-08-2004, 06:38 PM
A two month wait! What are they thinking? Sounds like they are too busy. A good ped will be busy, but not so busy that proper care of the kiddos becomes second place. Good for you for standing up for your child!

DDowning
08-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Good for you for holding your ground!

What burns me is the 6-7 month wait for a pap smear.....but I digress.

papal
08-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Good for you Jeanette!! I think a 2 month wait is unacceptable and I am glad you told her that... oh, how 'convenient' that suddenly there was an opening at 8.30a on Wed!! Rascals!

jk3
08-09-2004, 05:09 PM
You definitely did the right thing. I have a hard time in situations like this. I tend not to make demands + then I spend time being mad at myself for not speaking up. I have an easier time when it comes to my DS but I've had to work on this since it doesn't come naturally. One of my closest friends is super, super pushy + she ends up getting what she needs 99 percent of the time. I try to keep that in mind! I guess they were "saving" that appointment for some reason!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

Jeanmick
08-10-2004, 12:00 AM
You guys are wonderful! Thank you for your responses! :)