PDA

View Full Version : How quite is your house when your baby sleeps

diekatze
08-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Okay, I am just wondering whether my DS keeps waking up from his naps because our house is not quite enough or he's just sensitive.

I am also pissed off becuase my live-in MIL always likes to do things like washing dishes, reorganizing drawers, calling friends on the phone anything that makes noise while he takes naps.

Unfortunately my DS's room is right underneath the heavy traffic from upper level and whenever there is door rings, people come in and out, he wakes up.

I try to make things quite for him but it seems like I am the only one. I've told my MIL several times that whatever she does upstairs, I can hear it louder downstairs. I guess she didn't get the message when I said that.

I am just so frustrated that I am in 15 days of sleep train my DS and I would like want to be extra careful about thing til he gets the message. Just becuase he's sleep trained doesn't mean that people can make noises.

Why can my MIL watch TV quitely, like she normally likes to do, rather than talking on the phone yelling and shouting from the excitment, getting dishes out from the dishwasher when our kitchen is right above near my DS's room. I do appreciate her help but wrong time.

Today he woke up twice from his morning nap already. First from getting the dishes from dishwasher and then he fall back to sleep. After five minutes she picks up the phone and dials right above his room. I have music and humidifier on but I guess he hear dit. Now it has been 10 minutes already and he's still crying... I am not sure whether I should go in and pick him up or just let him go back to sleep....

Why can people be bit more sensitive around babies?????

Boy, I am soooooo pissed off and would like to tell her off...well, I wil tell her nicely.

peanut4us
08-17-2004, 01:28 PM
your not alone... Sara hates noise while she sleeps... well big loud obnoxious ones, like the garage door opening, since her room is over the garage. We bought her a white noise machine at target... she still sleeps wiht it on at 16 months, and that helps a lot.

i used to get so irritated when people would tell me to purposefully make noise while she naps, vaccuum etc... she couldn't sleep if it wasn't quiet, and you know what, neither can I!

I don't know your situation... if it's your MIL's house or yours... if it's yours... disconnect the doorbell... people we that we know, know to knock or the door won't get answered. That in and of itself is heaven sent. Next, I would consider moving your son to a different room... anywhere but right under the kitchen... and if you can't, hten maybe find a "nap place" for him that isn't in his room.

Good luck... if all else fails... when you are up in the night, go do loud things outside your MIL's door and screetch on the phone... see if she likes it!

houseof3boys
08-17-2004, 02:05 PM
I would defintely have another talk with your MIL. That is ridiculous!

Ryan is a very light sleeper so our house is pretty quiet when he sleeps. Sometimes if we walk down the hallway and the hardwood creaks too loudly, he'll wake up! We turn off the phones since that wakes him up too and I couldn't even dream of putting dishes away and the kitchen is on the other side of the house from his room.

I could only imagine your frustration with this too. You need to tell her again that you really need her to respect the noise level. Just because it is not loud to her, doesn't mean it's not loud to a sensitive and tired baby. :)

Hope it gets better.

hez
08-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Payton can handle consistent noise (i.e. low hum of a TV, music, vacuum cleaner, whatever), but doesn't do well with the peaks (doorbell, ringing phone, dog barking, etc.). During the day when I'm home, if he's napping I try to keep the volume of the consistent noise high enough so that the doorbells, etc. don't bug him. He's a real crab if he wakes early from a nap, so I get pretty ticked off at myself if I forget and then the phone rings or the dog barks...

I've considered getting one of those 'shh baby is sleeping' door hangers for my front door so the UPS man or a neighbor doesn't accidentally tick me off-- maybe your MIL needs a *big* old sign in front of her :)

miki
08-17-2004, 10:04 PM
I made a sign for the mail carrier and other delivery people. I let them know I've got a sleeping baby and barky dogs so don't ring the bell or knock. Not only does it keep things quiet for DD but it keeps solicitors away who want to give a sales pitch of some kind.

diekatze
08-17-2004, 10:37 PM
I've talk to her indead after picking up crying DS at 2nd waking. I was all pissed off becuase my MIL actually shouting from upstairs that baby's up and he's crying!-duh

I didn't think that he will go back to sleep at that point. I told her nicely once again that removing dishes and dialing phone right on top DS' room did wake him up.

She felt so bad and knew she was bit pissed off at me too. After all she did remove the dishes in good intention to help me out. I felt bad after telling her that she actually woke him up.

She's been blaming herself for all messed up schedule, over and over again.-she's pissed off!

So my DS didn't get full 3 hours of nap today so I put him to sleep at 5:30 instead of 7. He's keep waking up crying and it drives me crazy!!!!

PJAlama
08-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Babies differ in their sensitivity to noise. My DS can sleep through almost anything, if he's in a deep sleep. When he was 7 weeks old I took him to a Halloween parade at my workplace, and he slept in his Kangaroo Korner pouch about 10 feet away from a small brass band which was playing full blast while I had a shouting conversation with a co-worker. On the other hand, my best girlfriend's DS more or less wakes up if someone drops a pen in the next house while she's napping.