PDA

View Full Version : Morning (ALL-DAY) Sickness Whine

momma_boo
08-18-2004, 11:22 AM
I can't take any more of the throwing up. I went through this with DD, so I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I think it ended around 14 weeks with her, so I'm hoping I only have another month or so of this. (Am at 9 weeks now).

It's getting tough, though.

Last night, I really irritated my throat. I had some bloody spit afterwards (it's happened before when I was pg with DD, so I wasn't too alarmed). It was still hurting when I woke up in the morning.

The hardest is when I start getting queasy on the subway. (I do keep a plastic bag with me and some napkins... just in case!).

It's gotten to the point now that when I decide on what to eat, I try to pick something that would be least gross coming back up.

jal
08-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Sorry you're having such a bad day. Just know that you are not alone in that others are going through the same thing (or in our case, it should start any day now). (OK, so I don't go through it directly, but I have on numerous occations had to clean up the after-math when DW didn't quite get to the the toilet on time.)

However, there isn't any reason I can think of that you SHOULD ever have bloody spit unless there is some other condition such as an ulcer. Please talk to your doctor about that.

momma_boo
08-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Thank you for your concern. It isn't a lot of blood. With the last pregnancy, it was explained to me that sometimes the lining of the esophagus gets irritated from the vomiting which may cause the presence of some blood.

annex
08-18-2004, 12:37 PM
I had the same problem with the blood from the vomiting, it is due to an esophagial tear. I had a bonehead ER doc on one of my many ER visits for re-hydration (I had hyperemesis the whole preg, ugh) worry that was a stomach ulcer and order a NG tube put in so they could check. Gross, horrible procedure. If it's only a little bit of blood (and a little can spread to look like a lot in vomit), they should not be worred about an ulcer.

The best solution to the tears I found was antacids (prescription strength Zantac in my case) since they keep the stomach acid from irritating the tear and allow it to heal. If you can keep the tablets down orally, ask your doctor about trying them. Or if you're like me and all tablets immediately come back up, you can get them via IV.

Big hug and hope you feel better soon,
Anne

houseof3boys
08-18-2004, 12:38 PM
I hear ya! Last night about 20 seconds after I finished my dinner (big Mexican food craving), it came up.

I am at 15 weeks now and it is still going strong. When I was pg with Ryan it wasn't this bad! I also have had a migraine for over 2 weeks now. They gave me codeine but that only helps with the pain, it doesn't make the darn headache go away. Sorry didn't mean to steal your whine.....

Can I have some cheese with my wine? :)

My suggestions are: keep some crackers and some sour candy with you. I walk around the house all day with sour altoids in my mouth since that seems to help. The ginger candy I got doesn't do diddly!

I hope it passes for you soon!

mommy_someday
08-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Esther,

I completely hear you! I was so sick during the first trimester that I was losing weight and had to be put on Reglan and then Zofran. I couldn't keep anything down.

"It's gotten to the point now that when I decide on what to eat, I try to pick something that would be least gross coming back up."
LOL, I did the same thing! What was really gross to me was when I would eat a bowl of cereal in the morning and get sick immediately after - the milk was still cold! DISGUSTING! Although, I have to admit it didn't hurt my throat nearly as much.

I got to the point where I didn't want to eat. I figured I may as well take my plate of food and scrape it into the toilet because it would end up there anyway.

I'll be thinking about you. Hang in there...

todzwife
08-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Ooooh I remember those feelings! I carried a plastic bag and paper towels w/ me everywhere...I had a peppermint in my mouth a lot. I would heave so hard, I popped abunch of blood vessels in my eye...and that's why DH is having a heck of a time trying to convince me to do it again!

I hope you all feel better very very soon!

Marisa6826
08-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Ack!

Sorry to hear that. I'm still getting the queasies at almost 23w, but I've never felt compelled to "yak".

Have you tried the sliced lemon in the baggie trick?

We can commiserate Tuesday ;)

hugs

-m

amazz
08-18-2004, 10:08 PM
I'm so sorry you are sick! When I was going through this I talked to my OB/GYN and she prescribed some phenergan (promethazine). She only had me taking like a half a dose to start with. I only took it on those days I just couldn't stop throwing up. It really did help me a lot. Could you ask your dr. about something?

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

momma_boo
08-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the tip on the antacids!

Thankfully, yesterday turned out to be a good day for me - no throwing up!

momma_boo
08-19-2004, 10:08 AM
It's funny. After reading your response yesterday, I noticed a co-worker had some of those sour altoids on his desk. Tried one and it helped to dry out my mouth (I've got tons of excessive saliva). Took a handful for the subway ride home. Then found some at the supermarket later!

My only problem now is that I think I had too many. My tongue apparently can't tolerate too much sour stuff.

Sorry about the migraine. I hope it gets better for you soon!

momma_boo
08-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Hey Marisa,

I'll try to give you a call today while I'm at work (really the only time I can get anything done. Once I'm home, I become a blob).