PDA

View Full Version : Due in 7 Days with Impending Sinus Infection on the way!!

WooChx
08-23-2004, 12:52 PM
HELP!! I'm due in 7 days & scheduled to be induced on 8/30. My husband the work-a-holic (80 hour/week) Chef came home with a sinus infection, dual ear infection, fever, sore throat and laryngitis!!! My OB is out of the office and her nurse just suggested I drink fluids and rest - thats all I've done for the past month. My house is a contamination zone! I'm running around with Lysol like a crazy person. My throat is starting to feel sore and I have post-nasal drip. My Primary Care wanted to call me in amoxicillin, but I know if I take that it could screw up breastfeeding AND I don't know what in the world I'm going to do if I get my husbands symptons and go into labor!! Can you imagine!!!

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, or merely moral support?

trumansmom
08-23-2004, 01:06 PM
All I've got is moral support! First, take a deep breath. Those last few days are hard enough without dealing with all this worry.

Is there another OB in your doc's practice? I would try and talk to him or her first. I've not heard amoxicillin can affect breastfeeding, but you're smart to try and find out first. If you get nowhere there, see if you can talk to one of the labor and delivery nurses at the hospital. My experience is that these are some of the most compassionate caregivers out there. Or, see if you can talk to a lactation consultant about meds that would be safe.

FWIW, the day I brought DD home from the hospital, DS came home with a stomach virus. The first two months of her life he had that, plus 3 ear infections, oral herpes, and another stomach virus that all of us EXCEPT DD caught. Baby can be remarkably resillient.

Try and get some rest. Get DH to the doctor and make him take some time off to get well. (I know- easier said than done. Sometimes threats work. Something along the lines of, "Do you want to see your first born child EVER?" :) )

Good luck and lots of hugs. It will all be okay.
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

WooChx
08-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Oh, thats funny! I have been threatening him ALL weekend!! I'm not sure if he is more afraid of me or getting the baby sick! Thanks for the laugh!

deenass
08-23-2004, 01:18 PM
The concern with the amoxycillin is probably in relation to all antibiotics which can cause a yeast infection which can cause thrush (which can be passed from mom to baby as baby nurses).

The sore throat and drippy nose might just be related to your advanced state of pregnancy. I was CONVINCED I had strep throat (or some other malady) because my throat was sore and I was completely stuffed up. My midwife told me (after the strep test was negative) that my body had ramped up mucuos production in anticipation of labor and it affected my nose as well as other parts.

It's common to feel pretty crappy as you approach your due date and also amazing what your body can do when it needs to.

Don't stress too much, it will all be over soon!!!!

ktdid74
08-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi- I work as an OB nurse and I would tell you to take the antibiotics if they're needed. We give antibiotics to some women during labor for GBS status, prolonged rupture of membranes, infection, etc. If you're really sick, you'd be better off taking them instead of feeling awful while you're in labor. Not that I'm saying people should take them for every sneeze or whatever, but if you need them, take them :) Good luck with everything!

WooChx
08-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks Katie. With each hour that passes today I seem to be feeling worse. I hope I can kick this in time!

MichelleRC
08-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Wow, how timely. I am due very soon and just came down with a sore throat and runny-ish nose. I was in the process of freaking out until I read this post.
Still I am glad my OB appointment is tomorrow.

Not a Bobblehead
08-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Please make sure that you have some sort of bacterial infection before rushing to get antibiotics. I hope your primary care physician actually cultured something and had a positive result before suggesting amoxicillin!! The symptoms you've described are more often found in a viral infection and no amount of antibiotics will help. With all the new antibiotic resistant bacteria out there, due in part to overprescribing antibiotics for viral infections, the "cure" could be worse than the cold. Hope you feel better, maybe try some good old fashioned chicken soup. And, for what it's worth, I also got a lot of congestion before delivery and sore throat.

Ami
08-31-2004, 02:45 AM
Hi,

I was worried about the same thing when I had my daughter (5 weeks preemie) I suffered witht the cold from hell for 2.5 weeks, couldn't sleep, etc. Figured it was viral so antibiotics wouln't help. When I was induced I couldn't breathe properly etc. They gave me a shot of antibiotics as preventative for the baby being born preemie (my mid-wife agreed) and I BF'd. Not only did it not effect baby and BFing, the next day I felt 90% better and was kicking myself that I didn't get antibiotics earlier!

Ami