PDA

View Full Version : I was (am) seething! Leave my baby brother alone!

kijip
09-14-2004, 07:08 AM
I met my brother at a park. I had Toby along (he was the reason we were meeting in a park in the first place!). Toby has now started walking around a bit out of my reach sometimes at the park but I keep a close watch on him of course. He was walking around in circles playing. My brother approaches him first instead of me, does the playful uncle thing (airplane, cute voice etc) and then I come and pick up Toby and we put him in a swing. Avery (my brother) then leaves for a minute to use the restroom. And then a fellow park parent with his baby on a swing, misunderstanding the exchange with my brother since we were out of his hearing when Avery approached Toby, says to me "I was so relieved that the wierdo stopped bothering you". I explained, I thought humorously, that the wierdo was in fact my brother and Toby was in fact his namesake. He then, knowing that Avery is my brother said, "I was about to stop him just before you stepped in- he certainly does not look like an Uncle". He thought some random person was picking up my child and I was watching without pouncing?? Again, WTF does an uncle look like???

Granted my brother is an unusual sight (even for Seattle!) but how does his appearance make him a threat, especially since I am RIGHT there (the man must know my face from the park- he knew I was Toby's mom)?? Avery is a skinny college aged kid with funky hair colors and a decided punk rock "look". He is also gay and tends to be recognized as such when people meet him. He has a slight case of cerebral palsy (affects his walk and arm movement on his right side but he is still able to live a normal life- his own apartment, a long term boyfriend, work, school etc without day to day care). His disability is slightly noticible but not often correctly identified as cerebral palsy- lots of people assume he is mentally impaired due to his physical limitations. Needless to say that when Avery came back we moved as far as possible away from the rude father. What kills me is that Avery and I are pretty much twins in facial features and since Toby looks exactly like me - Toby is clearly related to Avery.

I am VERY defensive of Avery because I raised him from the time he was 15 and I was in college. He was legally my foster child for several years and I gave up an out of state university to care for him through serious health and emotional issues. I dated and lived with my now husband through this time (we married 3 months after Avery turned 19 and started living on his own) so we were an odd little family unit- 2 college students barely out of high school ourselves attending Avery's PTA and school conferences! Now he is an social outreach worker, literally on the streets at night bringing street kids in from the cold, feeding them and providing education and resources. He is contemplating becoming a nurse or a counselor. He does his share of parties but is a straight edge kid who has never done drugs or the like- the type of things I think this man in the park thought. His appearance is something I tease him about (while we both like punk rock music, he has a very odd combination of preppy and gutter punk clothes and I wear plain clothing) but the man in the park can lay off. Beyond the clothes, Avery is a guy that kids love and that people really respect for his great community service. Attacking Avery for me is like attacking Toby- he may as well be my child. Which that man found out from my pointed expression!

rrosen
09-14-2004, 08:54 AM
That man was out of line. People can be so rude! But, you are clearly a wonderful sister! And because of you Toby will be raised to be an open minded adult, who will not jump to conclusions about a person's character on the basis of superficial judgements. These two men in your lives (your brother and son) are lucky to have you. Brush of the ignorance of this stranger and feel proud that you will be helping to raise a generation of more compassionate people.
Hugs to you!

momathome
09-14-2004, 09:37 AM
Wow!!! That kind of situation is so infuriating! Good for you for sticking up for your brother, who sounds like a marvelous uncle and person. Some people just don't have a clue!

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-14-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm seething with you...
and then I have to remember that some people are so miserable in their views that I actually have to look up and thank god (or whoever) that he didn't give me that mentality...for the biggest gift is to not be stuck in that kind of awful mind.

Hugs to you and I don't blame you in the least for being defensive over Avery I would (and am) too...

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 1/05

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

amp
09-14-2004, 10:50 AM
I would be VERY angry too. I would try to console myself with the thought that at least another parent was "trying" (albeit inappropriately) to look out for another parent and child. I guess he figured he was trying to support you. Too bad he really put his foot in his mouth! And I am a big sister, so I familiar with the ire that kind of "picking on" can elicit! Way to go sister! And your bro is doing some kind of fabulous work! As a fellow (in my previous life) social worker, I commend him for being out on the streets at night, which can be a very scary and rough thing!

cinrein
09-14-2004, 11:07 AM
I would be seething too. What an idiot.
It sounds like you did a great job raising your brother and are doing a great job with Toby. Don't let the stupid people of the world ruin that for you. :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

C99
09-14-2004, 01:38 PM
It sounds like the guy was just an ignorant man with narrow-minded views. He didn't know the whole story (not that should excuse his behavior) and was probably just trying to look out for another kid/mom on the playground. Yes, he was nosy and intrusive and judgmental, but at least he cared.

I think it's harder for people to see family resemblances unless they are looking for them. Everyone says my husband and one of his brothers look exactly alike, but except for the fact that they are both freakishly tall, they don't look anything alike!

trumansmom
09-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Coming from an "interesting" family myself - chock full of different colors and sexual preferences, I know all too well how infuriating crap like that can be.

I hope to raise my children to know that outsides just don't mean anything.

And HUGE kudos to you for helping raise your brother. It sounds like you did a GREAT job!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

lizajane
09-14-2004, 02:18 PM
UGH!!!!

that person could have made the SAME point without calling your brother a "weirdo!!!" what the heck is THAT about????? a simple, "glad to see you picked up your son. i was worried that stranger would run off with him" would have been just as easy to say. then you could have explained that you were, indeed, watching YOUR BROTHER scoop up your child, and not a stranger.

i have a 19 year old brother (i am 29 and my sister is 31) so i hear ya. my brother is pretty mainstream- preppy, etc. but he is still a 19 year old uncle who loves to play with schuyler.

pritchettzoo
09-14-2004, 06:28 PM
You should say, "Well, to him we look like weirdos." ;)

Sorry the jerk at the park ruined your outing.

Anna

Judegirl
09-16-2004, 09:56 AM
What a colossal idiot. It would have been hard for me to remain polite; I understand your anger.

And what a special relationship you and your brother must share. :)

Best,
Jude

barbarhow
09-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-people can be so stupid. Good for you for giving him "a pointed expression".
And what a wonderful sister you are. What huge hearts you and DH have to have been able to raise him so well. What an inspirational story.
The man in the park is obviously one of lifes simple minded people. Ugh. unfortunately I find them everywhere.....
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

starrynight
09-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Wow I would have been livid and hurt at the same time. Your brother sounds like a good kid! Many times someone who looked "odd" has been very kind to me or helped out more than the "normal" looking people. When will people figure out appearance isn't everything???

brigmaman
09-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Aside from being pretty close-minded, this man sounds as though he's got some macho issues. Did he think you (as a woman) needed someone to "step in?" Ugh...some people.

smomom
09-17-2004, 03:17 PM
I'd be pissed too. You're little brother sounds like a hell of a guy. And you sound pretty great yourself. I hate that people so often judge other based on looks or sexual preference.

babymama
09-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Katie -
Hugs to you! I was so touched by your post. From the way you describe your brother, it's clear that you have such a special relationship with him.

What that man said was hurtful. He is not only clueless, but also careless. Idiot!

You shouldn't have to listen to his jaded commentary, and he shouldn't subject others to his narrow-minded dribble either.

Glad you gave him a pointed expression - which finger were you pointing? =)

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041116/0/6/1/-6/.png