PDA

View Full Version : Bad Experience at Joann Store today (Sorry, Long)

tina-t
10-05-2004, 07:02 PM
I love my old Joann store but they closed it down and opened a larger new one which is really nice but I had a bad experience there today. I wrote the CS an email about the whole thing:

"I had the most horrible experience in your Bond Rd, Elk Grove store today. After I paid and signed the store receipt, the cashier suddenly announces that she could not find my copy of the receipt. She looks all over the place and just could not find it. This goes on for 10 minutes. She asks for help and another cashier tries to help her to no avail. The other cashier, Sally tells her and me that we just have to void this transaction and ring my items up again. I asked her if she could do this fast since I had my baby with me and he was becoming fussy. She said in an irritated voice that she was already trying to help me and asked if I wanted my receipt. Of course I want my receipt! I go with her to another cash register to do this. She goes back to the first cashier to look for the cutting slips which the first cashier had inadvertently placed with my items. Apparently, she should not have done that, and that cutting slips were supposed to have been thrown out. I was frustrated and told Sally that the cutting slips were in the bag with the items that I bought. I did raise my voice a little as my frustration is rising. She looked at me in a very irritated and angry way and said that she appreciates my frustration and was trying to help me. I then apologized. But she continued to speak to me sharply and gave me piercing dark looks. This continued until she finished "helping" me. If looks could kill, I would have been dead by then!

I do not appreciate being treated this way. This was never my fault as the first cashier should not have lost my receipt. I ended up staying an extra 20 minutes while trying to calm a fussy baby and had to be treated like dirt.

I am very upset by this whole experience."

I was so upset that I started crying when I got home. To make things worse, when I got home, I thought ds felt hot. I checked his temp and it was 101. So I felt bad about having dragged him out and having him wait through the whole thing. He was fine this morning though.

One other thing, while I was in line at Joann, ds was playing with his cheerios container when he suddenly threw it down on the floor. The top opened and out came the cheerios. Another customer and I just tried to contain the mess in one corner by using our feet to sweep it to one side. I was going to tell the cashier but with all those that went on with the receipts, I forgot and left the store. Oh phooeey, I don't care anymore that we made a mess.

jubilee
10-05-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm so sorry about your shopping trip! Hope their customer service makes it right for you. I recently made a purchase at Joann's and also had cruddy service. I don't typically shop in fabric stores, I'm not very crafty these days but I was getting fleece for a no-sew blanket. I saw some fleece I liked in their shelves that are way high up. I asked for assistance getting it and it was like I had asked for the moon. Finally I said I'd get it myself if they had a stepstool or ladder. So I got it myself with a stepstool labeled "employees only" on it. Then I take the fleece to the cutting desk and the lady hasn't bathed in a while. I asked for 1 1/4 yards, but she cuts some other amount - 58". She says she thought I wanted to make a square blanket. Anyway, now I have more fleece than I actually wanted. Oh, well. At least my blanket is very cute!!

deborah_r
10-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Sorry you had such a bad experience. I've only been to my nearest Joanne once, and while no one was rude, they sure weren't helpful and did not seem very knowledgable either.

ellies mom
10-06-2004, 02:24 AM
I'm still bitter (years later I might add) that just about every chain fabric store became a Joann's. It all went downhill then. I really try not to shop there. Fortunately, the Portland area has some great fabric stores.

steph2003
10-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Good for you writing CS! I hope they respond.

induetime
10-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Mine has horrid customer service as well. Checking out is always a nightmare with a long wait. I avoid JoAnn like the plague.

mtnmom9
10-18-2004, 01:04 AM
I've sewn for about 31 years and am under 40, so I've been to a ton of fabric stores in my life. Joann Fabrics' customer service has really gone downhill. I either get a grumpy clerk or an apathetic one, never a really cheerful one. Once I even had a clerk shove the cut (she threw it in a rumpled heap...never folded it) fabric at me! What really irked me is that it was Hanukkah fabric and I couldn't help but wonder if it was antisemetism or just a jerky lady having a bad day. Customer service at Joann's assured me that it couldn't have been the former situation, as the owner of Joann's is Jewish...yeah, like that's going to stop employees from being racist?!?! I'm not impressed by our neighborhood quilting store...the ladies have turned out to be snotty. Walmart sucks too, especially when you're a quilter and are only buying 1/8 yard of a zillion different bolts! Gone are the days of separate stores with better customer service (remember Stretch N Sew, SoFro, Cloth World, etc. stores?). I go & get my fabric not planning on enjoying the shopping experience like I used to do and instead just really have fun with the sewing part of the whole process ! Glad you left the Cheerio mess!

tina-t
10-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Hmmm, it has been 2 weeks and no response from CS. I have almost forgotten about this. Just venting here made me feel better that I don't feel like calling them up and rehashing the whole thing. Needless to say, I am looking around for other fabric stores so I can avoid Joann's like the plague.

Thanks for all your responses and support.