PDA

View Full Version : It's been a long day and DH is in the hospital

momma_boo
12-17-2004, 12:56 AM
After two days of abdominal pain, DH finally called the doctor last night who said to try to make it through the night. No change this morning, so he called them and was advised to go to the ER. After a few hours of sitting around while they did bloodwork and being seen by the doctor, he was admitted. The doctor thinks it's diverticulitis (never heard of it, just did some research on WebMD). He's on antibiotics and pain medicine right now. The doctor hinted that he may have to stay there through the weekend.

Well, with all the running around I did today, I managed to eat one pseudo-meal (thank goodness for my mom, who made me eat when I dropped off Sarah after picking her up from daycare), a bag of Doritos from the hospital vending machine and two Suzy-Q Hostess cakes from the bus station after I left work early to go to the hospital. Yup. That was my total intake for the day!

Ha ha. So much for any planning for my glucose tolerance test tomorrow (I posted about it in the Lounge earlier)! Thankfully, I did remember to put it in the fridge, so it'll be cold when I drink it in the morning.

It's almost 1 am. I hate sleeping w/o DH. I've been keeping busy making mailing labels for our holiday card/photo which I'll try to get printed tomorrow. (Totally aside - they look awesome thanks to Rashmi). Baby #2 has been squirming around, so I've had some "company" while I worked.

Of course, DH gave me such a guilt trip when I left him at 8 pm. I wanted to pick up Sarah from my mom's so that she got to bed close to her normal bedtime, which is at 8:30.

The silver lining is that tomorrow is Friday, so I can drop off DD at daycare in the morning and not worry about her all day. Not sure what I'm going to do if he's still at the hospital over the weekend. I'm not too keen on having her spending too much time at the hospital, although he misses her already. I promised to bring her for a visit tomorrow.

All right, I'll see what crummy shows are on at 1 am and hopefully will doze off. Thanks for listening to me whine.

kijip
12-17-2004, 02:43 AM
I am so sorry that your DH is in the hopital. I wish him a speedy recovery. And you can't take care of him and your baby if you don't take care of yourself first! EAT! And you can whine here anytime!

bluej
12-17-2004, 07:03 AM
Oh Esther, I'm so sorry your DH is in the hospital. I hope he is better soon and that he gets an early release so you don't have spend your weekend back and forth between the hospital and home. Like Katie said, be sure to take care of yourself. You won't be able to take care of your family if you don't take care of yourself. Hugs.

trentsmom
12-17-2004, 09:01 AM
I hope today is a better day for you (and for DH). Good luck with the glucose tolerance test. And check back in with us so that we know how your family is doing!

lynettefrancois
12-17-2004, 11:19 AM
I hope your family has a better weekend! So sorry your DH is in the hospital. It must be really rough- but for heaven's sakes, EAT!

McQ
12-17-2004, 03:54 PM
How's your DH doing? Any word on when he'll be released from the hospital? Hope it's soon. And hope that you've eated more than Doritos and Suzy-Q's today :)

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

slknight
12-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Esther, I'm so sorry! The whole situation must be very stressful for you. Any word today on how he's doing? Many good thoughts coming your way.

deenass
12-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Well, I can relate to a DH being in the hospital. Mine was there a few weeks ago. It is truly frightening and overwhelming when you have little ones at home or on the way.

Good luck, hope that he is feeling better soon and that you passed your test with flying colors!!

Puddy73
12-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Hugs to you, sweetie! I hope that your DH is out of the hospital and that you are able to find time to take care of yourself!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

momma_boo
12-17-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all your kind words. It's nice to be able to come here and just whine
It was another very long day. But yes, I did eat 3 meals today.

Left the house at 8:30 and dropped DD off at daycare and went for my appointment. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything to eat at home, so I ended up taking this glucose test fasting. We'll see how it went when I get the results next week.

DH is definitely feeling better. Basically, he's stuck at the hospital so that they can have him on IV fluids and antibiotics. Poor guy hasn't had solid food in two days - he's restricted to a clear liquids diet. I stayed with him for a few hours and left to run some errands since he was going to be there another night. Once I was done with my errands, I stopped at home to walk the dog. Went back to the hospital (picking up lunch on the way) and hung out for the rest of the afternoon (even sneaking in a half hour catnap). Went home at 5:45 to feed the dog, picked up DD from daycare, went to my brother's for dinner (kind of asked him if I could join him and his fiancee since they were eating in). Took Sarah to the hospital to visit w/ DH. Finally got home for good after 9. Got her in bed by 9:30. Walked the dog again for the night and am winding down for bedtime.

Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in finding anyone to watch DD tomorrow. DH is making me feel guilty b/c he doesn't want to be stuck there all day at the hospital by himself. He's not optimistic that he'll be discharged tomorrow. He's thinking that they might start him on soft food tomorrow and may keep him another day to see how that goes. I don't know what else I can do. I'm exhausted from all the running around already. It wouldn't be so horrible for me to "have" to stay home with DD in the morning, then visit him around lunchtime and come back for DD's nap. I don't want to go bonkers tomorrow morning looking for someone to take care of her, especially since it's the last weekend before X-Mas.

I need to get up a little early. The poor dog has major cabin fever. I'll play fetch with him for a litte bit in the morning before DD gets up. I think it'll be too cold to have her outside in the morning. (She's finally well after being sick on and off for over a month).

Let's hope tomorrow is a better, less frantic day!

ethansmom
12-17-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm so sorry you're having to deal w/all of this!

My grandfather had a pretty bad case of diver (not even going to attempt to spell it!) - he was elderly and almost bled to death. The good news is he was able to control things with diet - no surgery needed and he never had problems w/it again! I hope your husband can also control his condition w/diet and won't have to go through this again!

It is SO exhausting to have a loved one in hospital....don't feel bad about taking care of yourself - especially since you are pregnant! Your hubby might guilt trip you now since he hates being in hospital, but I bet he'll be back to his old self as soon as he's released.

Hugs,

Marisa6826
12-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Esther-

I'm just reading of this. I'm sorry that your DH is sick. Diverticulitus is incredibly painful. My grandmother used to suffer from it regularly. I have occasionally have some digestive issues myself and know how debilitating they can be.

Please, please, please be careful bringing your DD to the hospital to visit your DH. I know that he misses her, but after contracting that damn pneumonia there myself, I KNOW that the sickies just lurk there waiting to get somebody. I had Jonathan print out big 8.5 x 11 pics of the girls for me and I just stared at them all day. Another trick is to video tape your DD and bring it to your DH to see.

I also know how hard it is to find somebody to watch your kiddo. I'd say bring her here, but we're kind of swamped right now ourselves.

Try and take care of yourself. I know it's hard, but if you get sick too, it will just make the whole thing suck even more. Tell your DH my thoughts are with him. My memories of crappyass hospital food are still very real in my mind! ;)

I assume he's in Hackensack? At least it's a nice hospital!

hugs Girlie

-m

Marisa6826
12-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Esther-

I'm just reading of this. I'm sorry that your DH is sick. Diverticulitus is incredibly painful. My grandmother used to suffer from it regularly. I have occasionally have some digestive issues myself and know how debilitating they can be.

Please, please, please be careful bringing your DD to the hospital to visit your DH. I know that he misses her, but after contracting that damn pneumonia there myself, I KNOW that the sickies just lurk there waiting to get somebody. I had Jonathan print out big 8.5 x 11 pics of the girls for me and I just stared at them all day. Another trick is to video tape your DD and bring it to your DH to see.

I also know how hard it is to find somebody to watch your kiddo. I'd say bring her here, but we're kind of swamped right now ourselves.

Try and take care of yourself. I know it's hard, but if you get sick too, it will just make the whole thing suck even more. Tell your DH my thoughts are with him. My memories of crappyass hospital food are still very real in my mind! ;)

I assume he's in Hackensack? At least it's a nice hospital!

hugs Girlie

-m