PDA

View Full Version : More Fun With the ILs

AvasMama
12-28-2004, 10:28 PM
MIL: My MIL is a saint compared to many I've read about here, but I need to vent after four days of keeping my mouth shut! What baffles me is that this woman has seven grandkids ages 5 months - 6 years. You think she would know about some of these things!!

My favorite comments from her, in no particular order...

"If you got her some hard-sole shoes, she would start walking."

"Maybe if you didn't nurse Ava so much, she would eat better."

"If you don't cut her hair, it won't grow in right."

"Is she hungry? I've got pudding." (Repeated hourly, I kid you not.)

"Oh, she won't bother those." (In reference to the dozens of breakable figurines all over the house -- all within Ava's reach.)

"When my kids were small, I just told them what not to touch and they left it alone." (The response I got when I asked if we could move some of them. The figurines stayed put.)

And after I spent four solid days keeping Ava away from her damn figurines... "See, I told you she wouldn't bother them."

SILs: Control your kids! The older ones were literally bouncing off the walls, jumping on the pool table, and going around slapping adults on the bum. Are you kidding me? They are all overweight (kids and parents, including a 24-lb. 5-month-old -- edited to clarify, this is not my opinion, but that of their own docs), but they have the nerve to question what I feed Ava?? Um, no, she can't have juice, Coke, Jello, or pudding.

Misc. cousins and evil great-grandmother (yes, she really is evil): Ava is frowning at you because you are in her face! She is not grumpy, grouchy, or unfriendly. She befriended two planeloads of travelers on the way here, so yes, it's YOU. Take it personally and leave her alone!!

Thanks for letting me vent :)

Robyn & Ava

janeybwild
12-29-2004, 01:02 PM
>And after I spent four solid days keeping Ava away from her
>damn figurines... "See, I told you she wouldn't bother
>them."

I was pulling for Ava to demolish the lot! Sounds like you deserve a free mommas-day-out after that! Welcome home to peace and quiet.

ellies mom
12-30-2004, 03:46 AM
Well, you are a better person than DH and I. He told his cluttery, messy sister repeatedly that she would need to do at least a mild job of childproofing. You know, sharp pointy objects and chemicals up, and things that matter out of reach. We got there, and DH was having to pick up scissors and pin cushions full of pins and all sorts of other things off the coffee table. So, he just let DD go to town on the rest. He figured if it couldn't hurt DD it was fair game, because obviously it wasn't important to his sister.

I did a bit of biting the tongue on Christmas day and then spent the rest of my time sending DH and DD over to his family while I napped and ate cookie dough at mine.

lmladuke
12-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Ugh!!1 I am with you on the figurine thing. Except my MIL says "oh, its ok he can play with them, I don't care if he breaks them" Ok, I care because I don't want him thinking he can do those things (note: they are aldo totally covered with dust)

Its amazing how all grandmothers say "my kids never did X, Y or Z" Geez, our DH's must have all been angels huh!

Sorry you had to deal - I usually try to ignore it all and not talk(hmmm...maybe that's why they think I am a b#*ch)

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan Matthew 7/27/01
and Katherine Olivia 7/28/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050728/2/13/3/-5/.png

McQ
12-30-2004, 11:30 AM
>Ugh!!1 I am with you on the figurine thing. Except my MIL
>says "oh, its ok he can play with them, I don't care if he
>breaks them" Ok, I care because I don't want him thinking he
>can do those things (note: they are aldo totally covered with
>dust)

Hmmm, I think you were at my MILs house. There were breakables all over the place when we were up over the summer. Can you say glass bowl of marbles around a toddler! I was constantly moving things or running interference. Even then Declan still managed to break two things. And secretly we were pleased that some of the crap (and it is all crap) got broken. DH is always after her to get rid of things and warned her if he breaks something it's out of there.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

AvasMama
12-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Lori,
Don't worry -- I am sure DH's family thinks I am a b*tch too (and if they didn't, they do now!). Plus, they definitely think I am way too overprotective. But, as DH said last night, why do I care what they think? They are our role models for how *not* to raise Ava! So if I do everything the opposite of what they do, I can't go wrong ;)

Robyn & Ava

JuJuE
12-31-2004, 05:34 PM
Whew! I bet you are glad you are home now :)