PDA

View Full Version : Why do bank and credit people feel the need to be downright nasty?

boolady
06-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Long story short, we got a note at the end of last week from the bank holding our car loan that they did not receive last month's payment. I looked in the checkbook, DH had written the check on 5/1/06, then called our bank. Our bank verified the check had never been cashed, so we did the whole stop payment thing. OK, it obviously got lost, no big deal for people who have NEVER been late with a payment or missed a payment, right?

NO. In the few days that it took us to write the check for this month, doubled of course to include last month's amount, we received letters 2 more times. Of course, since the letters were received on Friday and Saturday, I couldn't call them to tell them that we had verified the lost check and would be sending it. We sent the payment out yesterday. Check is literally in the mail. Again, no big deal, right?

DH called car loan bank a few minutes ago to tell them that the check had definitely been lost and the money was on the way. Well, he just called me to say that the woman was the biggest b*tch EVER (and he is a much nicer person than me, so she must have been) and castigated him for 5 minutes about being late. He then said he told her he didn't appreciate being hounded about 1 payment since we've never even been late, and she told him "We don't like people who don't pay their bills." Excuse me? We are your biggest problem?

She then told him we had been receiving so many letters because we have 2 late payments, and he asked what other month was late. She said June. Not quite. June's payment is due on the 9th. When he pointed that out, he said that she repeated that they don't "like" people who don't pay their bills.

What really bothers me is this woman's apparent assumption that she can talk to us like this because our car loan is with her bank. I have to believe that she assumes that because we have the loan, we can't afford to pay it off. Actually, we got a really good interest rate and financed less than 1/2 of the car's price, so we can pay it off. Now we will. I will be dam*ed if they get another cent of interest out of me. I know that we are lucky that right now, we can afford to pay it off, which is not always the case with us. It just bothers me immensely that because a check legitimately got lost, we are treated like dirt. I know this happens to people dealing with banks and creditors every day, and I give them a lot of credit for deaing with it.

I guess that wasn't so short. Ah, well, it was my first b*tch on the boards, probably the first of many :)

boolady
Long story short, we got a note at the end of last week from the bank holding our car loan that they did not receive last month's payment. I looked in the checkbook, DH had written the check on 5/1/06, then called our bank. Our bank verified the check had never been cashed, so we did the whole stop payment thing. OK, it obviously got lost, no big deal for people who have NEVER been late with a payment or missed a payment, right?

NO. In the few days that it took us to write the check for this month, doubled of course to include last month's amount, we received letters 2 more times. Of course, since the letters were received on Friday and Saturday, I couldn't call them to tell them that we had verified the lost check and would be sending it. We sent the payment out yesterday. Check is literally in the mail. Again, no big deal, right?

DH called car loan bank a few minutes ago to tell them that the check had definitely been lost and the money was on the way. Well, he just called me to say that the woman was the biggest b*tch EVER (and he is a much nicer person than me, so she must have been) and castigated him for 5 minutes about being late. He then said he told her he didn't appreciate being hounded about 1 payment since we've never even been late, and she told him "We don't like people who don't pay their bills." Excuse me? We are your biggest problem?

She then told him we had been receiving so many letters because we have 2 late payments, and he asked what other month was late. She said June. Not quite. June's payment is due on the 9th. When he pointed that out, he said that she repeated that they don't "like" people who don't pay their bills.

What really bothers me is this woman's apparent assumption that she can talk to us like this because our car loan is with her bank. I have to believe that she assumes that because we have the loan, we can't afford to pay it off. Actually, we got a really good interest rate and financed less than 1/2 of the car's price, so we can pay it off. Now we will. I will be dam*ed if they get another cent of interest out of me. I know that we are lucky that right now, we can afford to pay it off, which is not always the case with us. It just bothers me immensely that because a check legitimately got lost, we are treated like dirt. I know this happens to people dealing with banks and creditors every day, and I give them a lot of credit for deaing with it.

I guess that wasn't so short. Ah, well, it was my first b*tch on the boards, probably the first of many :)

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

elliput
06-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Most people who work in this type of position forget that there are people in the world who use credit responsibly. She has obviously forgotten who the customer is in this situation. It is possible for you to refinance with another bank?

elliput
Most people who work in this type of position forget that there are people in the world who use credit responsibly. She has obviously forgotten who the customer is in this situation. It is possible for you to refinance with another bank?

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

HGraceMom
06-06-2006, 10:42 AM
You definitely need to call the bank manager (or better yet, make an appointment to chat with him or her.) In my 3 years of branch experience, and 4 years of recruiting experience for banks, customer service reps are trained to treat the customer with respect, and are encouraged to be sympathetic to custsomers needs. Banks know that it's VERY easy to move an account.

If you're not interested in facing the manager, send a letter cc:ing the regional branch manager and as many other higher-ups as you can find names for. Rudeness is rarely tolerated in branches, and never is tolerated in consumer lending, IME.

Every time a salesperson is rude / assuming / snobby to me, I remind myself the're WORKING and I'm the one out SPENDING MONEY to keep them (esp. in her situation) in a relatively low-paying job.

edited... grammar...

HGraceMom
You definitely need to call the bank manager (or better yet, make an appointment to chat with him or her.) In my 3 years of branch experience, and 4 years of recruiting experience for banks, customer service reps are trained to treat the customer with respect, and are encouraged to be sympathetic to custsomers needs. Banks know that it's VERY easy to move an account.

If you're not interested in facing the manager, send a letter cc:ing the regional branch manager and as many other higher-ups as you can find names for. Rudeness is rarely tolerated in branches, and never is tolerated in consumer lending, IME.

Every time a salesperson is rude / assuming / snobby to me, I remind myself the're WORKING and I'm the one out SPENDING MONEY to keep them (esp. in her situation) in a relatively low-paying job.

edited... grammar...

HGraceMom

edited... grammar...

HGraceMom

edited... grammar...

HGraceMom

edited... grammar...

HGraceMom

edited... grammar...

HGraceMom

edited... grammar...

HGraceMom

edited... grammar...

HGraceMom

edited... grammar...

miki
06-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Definitely call or write to that person's supervisor and cc as many higher ups as possible like the PP said. That woman was totally out of line. Her managers should know that her unprofessional behavior just cost the bank your business and that she really needs an attitude adjustment.

miki
Definitely call or write to that person's supervisor and cc as many higher ups as possible like the PP said. That woman was totally out of line. Her managers should know that her unprofessional behavior just cost the bank your business and that she really needs an attitude adjustment.

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

miki

KBecks
06-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I hope your DH got her name so you can report the nastiness.

Sorry it happened to you!

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

tarabenet
06-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Jen, echoing what the others have said! You're carrying around bitterness because of her treatment. You didn't deserve the treatment and you sure don't deserve to lug around the bad feelings. Let her superiors know. Call or write a letter. Be polite and professional about it, not nasty like she was, but be very firm. Shift *her* problem back to *her* to deal with. then sit back and feel the knot in your tummy untie!

Hugs!
Benet

tarabenet
Jen, echoing what the others have said! You're carrying around bitterness because of her treatment. You didn't deserve the treatment and you sure don't deserve to lug around the bad feelings. Let her superiors know. Call or write a letter. Be polite and professional about it, not nasty like she was, but be very firm. Shift *her* problem back to *her* to deal with. then sit back and feel the knot in your tummy untie!

Hugs!
Benet

tarabenet

Hugs!
Benet

tarabenet

Hugs!
Benet

tarabenet

Hugs!
Benet

tarabenet

Hugs!
Benet

tarabenet

Hugs!
Benet

tarabenet

Hugs!
Benet

tarabenet

Hugs!
Benet

boolady
06-07-2006, 08:49 AM
I appreciate what everyone has said, we have her name, and I'm over it; though, I wasn't last night when at 9:00 p.m. we got an automated phone call telling us to call the bank about our "past due" loan. I'm giving it one or two more nights to remove our account from their system-- then they're getting another call. I was worked up at the time that I posted this, and I'm over it, I guess it just frustrates me because we make such an effort to be on top of bills, not be late, etc., and it apparently really doesn't matter.

boolady
I appreciate what everyone has said, we have her name, and I'm over it; though, I wasn't last night when at 9:00 p.m. we got an automated phone call telling us to call the bank about our "past due" loan. I'm giving it one or two more nights to remove our account from their system-- then they're getting another call. I was worked up at the time that I posted this, and I'm over it, I guess it just frustrates me because we make such an effort to be on top of bills, not be late, etc., and it apparently really doesn't matter.

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

deenass
06-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Reminds me of a time after my MIL died, we had gone through probate with regard to bills, etc. Apparantly a creditor called my SIL (after the estate had closed and) to settle an old bill that hadn't been settled within the probate period (so we did not owe it).

SIL, who is an atty, explained that her mom had died, probate closed, etc, we wouldn't be paying the bill and legally they had no recourse. The representative asked my SIL if she wanted her mother's soul haunted by an unpaid bill!

deenass
Reminds me of a time after my MIL died, we had gone through probate with regard to bills, etc. Apparantly a creditor called my SIL (after the estate had closed and) to settle an old bill that hadn't been settled within the probate period (so we did not owe it).

SIL, who is an atty, explained that her mom had died, probate closed, etc, we wouldn't be paying the bill and legally they had no recourse. The representative asked my SIL if she wanted her mother's soul haunted by an unpaid bill!

deenass

deenass

deenass

deenass

deenass

deenass

deenass

elliput
06-09-2006, 07:26 AM
What a maroon! On the flip side - your MIL's soul is probably laughing that this insenstive creditor got the shaft!

elliput
What a maroon! On the flip side - your MIL's soul is probably laughing that this insenstive creditor got the shaft!

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput