PDA

View Full Version : Why did I let her play with my glasses?!?

sarahsthreads
06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
DD asked so nicely, "glasses, please?" and she's usually careful with them, so I let her put them on for a minute. Somehow, while I blinked, she managed to bend one of the arms completely around the frame.

Then DH said, "oh, I can fix those" and proceeded to snap the arm half off while trying to bend it back.

I yelled at both of them, stormed out of the house, and drove directly to the place I bought them...where I bought them 13 months ago, where they came with a 12 month warranty that apparently would have covered this. Argh!

Now I'm going to be out $80 for parts and have to wear broken glasses for a week while I wait for the frame front to come in (they can salvage the arms, apparently, saving me $130, thankfully).

It all boils down to being my fault, for letting a toddler hold my glasses in the first place. So now on top of everything, I feel really guilty for yelling at DD and DH. :(

Sarah

sarahsthreads
DD asked so nicely, "glasses, please?" and she's usually careful with them, so I let her put them on for a minute. Somehow, while I blinked, she managed to bend one of the arms completely around the frame.

Then DH said, "oh, I can fix those" and proceeded to snap the arm half off while trying to bend it back.

I yelled at both of them, stormed out of the house, and drove directly to the place I bought them...where I bought them 13 months ago, where they came with a 12 month warranty that apparently would have covered this. Argh!

Now I'm going to be out $80 for parts and have to wear broken glasses for a week while I wait for the frame front to come in (they can salvage the arms, apparently, saving me $130, thankfully).

It all boils down to being my fault, for letting a toddler hold my glasses in the first place. So now on top of everything, I feel really guilty for yelling at DD and DH. :(

Sarah

sarahsthreads

Sarah

sarahsthreads

Sarah

sarahsthreads

Sarah

sarahsthreads

Sarah

sarahsthreads

Sarah

sarahsthreads

Sarah

sarahsthreads

Sarah

kedss
06-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Big hugs, mama!

kedss
Big hugs, mama!

kedss
Big hugs, mama!

kedss
Big hugs, mama!

kedss
Big hugs, mama!

kedss
Big hugs, mama!

kedss
Big hugs, mama!

kedss
Big hugs, mama!

kedss
Big hugs, mama!

dr mom
06-06-2006, 07:48 PM
DS is obsessed with glasses, too. He loves to grab them when I'm not looking, carry them around smudging little fingerprints all over the lenses, leave them obscure places where I can't find them (because I can't see well enough without them, LOL!) and will even snatch them right off my face.

My solution, admittedly drastic, is LASIK. I went a couple weeks ago for the evaluation and when the surgeon asked why I wanted surgery I told her I had a glasses-obsessed two-year-old. She didn't seem at all taken aback by that answer, so it must be a common Mommy dilemma.

dr mom
DS is obsessed with glasses, too. He loves to grab them when I'm not looking, carry them around smudging little fingerprints all over the lenses, leave them obscure places where I can't find them (because I can't see well enough without them, LOL!) and will even snatch them right off my face.

My solution, admittedly drastic, is LASIK. I went a couple weeks ago for the evaluation and when the surgeon asked why I wanted surgery I told her I had a glasses-obsessed two-year-old. She didn't seem at all taken aback by that answer, so it must be a common Mommy dilemma.

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

mommy_someday
06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Sarah, I was an optician for nearly six years and can tell you that this happens to TONS of people. Most people who came in needing repairs needed them as a result of sitting on their glasses or a dog/child getting ahold of them. All I'm trying to say is don't feel too bad about it. My DS constantly grabs my glasses and I've had to adjust them several times as a result. One of these days they're not going to be salvageable.

(((hugs))), mama, and I hope this week goes by soon so you can get out of those broken frames. Sorry you had such a crummy day!

mommy_someday
Sarah, I was an optician for nearly six years and can tell you that this happens to TONS of people. Most people who came in needing repairs needed them as a result of sitting on their glasses or a dog/child getting ahold of them. All I'm trying to say is don't feel too bad about it. My DS constantly grabs my glasses and I've had to adjust them several times as a result. One of these days they're not going to be salvageable.

(((hugs))), mama, and I hope this week goes by soon so you can get out of those broken frames. Sorry you had such a crummy day!

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

sarahsthreads
06-06-2006, 10:04 PM
That does make me feel a bit better. I suppose since I've been wearing glasses for over 20 years and this is the first time I've ever needed them repaired before replacing them for a new prescription or more stylish frames that's not *such* a bad track record. ;)

And these really are my favorite glasses so far - they have a nifty magnetic clip-on sunglass part so I don't need separate prescription sunglasses.

Anyone have any ideas on how to convince a 19-month-old that no matter how nicely they ask they can't try on Mommy's glasses??

Sarah :)

sarahsthreads
That does make me feel a bit better. I suppose since I've been wearing glasses for over 20 years and this is the first time I've ever needed them repaired before replacing them for a new prescription or more stylish frames that's not *such* a bad track record. ;)

And these really are my favorite glasses so far - they have a nifty magnetic clip-on sunglass part so I don't need separate prescription sunglasses.

Anyone have any ideas on how to convince a 19-month-old that no matter how nicely they ask they can't try on Mommy's glasses??

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

niccig
06-07-2006, 11:22 AM
DS snapped the arm off, they couldn't be salvaged and I had to get a new pair. Unfortunately, the new pair were $$$, I really liked the frame, but fortunately because they are expensive DS is not allowed near them...I just tell him it's not his toy and mommy needs them to see. I don't let him touch them, whether their on my face or if I'm wearing them, I put them up high so he can't reach them - they were on a bedside table when he grabbed them and broke them. So far, they're still intact.

niccig
DS snapped the arm off, they couldn't be salvaged and I had to get a new pair. Unfortunately, the new pair were $$$, I really liked the frame, but fortunately because they are expensive DS is not allowed near them...I just tell him it's not his toy and mommy needs them to see. I don't let him touch them, whether their on my face or if I'm wearing them, I put them up high so he can't reach them - they were on a bedside table when he grabbed them and broke them. So far, they're still intact.

niccig

niccig

niccig

niccig

niccig

niccig

niccig

CharmedOne
06-07-2006, 12:01 PM
((HUGS)) I feel your pain. DH and I both wear glasses. DS is absolutely fascinated with them. I've taken to wearing my contacts more often these days since my favorite pair on are their last legs. I gave him a pair of toy sunglasses (without the lenses), but he can tell the difference. :) I'm trying to find an old pair that he can play with, but I think I donated them all a few years back.

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

CharmedOne
((HUGS)) I feel your pain. DH and I both wear glasses. DS is absolutely fascinated with them. I've taken to wearing my contacts more often these days since my favorite pair on are their last legs. I gave him a pair of toy sunglasses (without the lenses), but he can tell the difference. :) I'm trying to find an old pair that he can play with, but I think I donated them all a few years back.

Caroline

CharmedOne

Caroline

CharmedOne

Caroline

CharmedOne

Caroline

CharmedOne

Caroline

CharmedOne

Caroline

CharmedOne

Caroline

CharmedOne

Caroline

juliasmom05
06-07-2006, 12:08 PM
DD is obsessed with glasses as well and I just spent last week with really crooked glasses which barely stayed on my face as a result of DD smashing them into the floor. I resigned myself to having to buy a new pair of glasses, but they replaced the frames for free eventhough I told them DD did it. Sorry, I have no tips for keeping them away. Just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one and I hope you get your glasses soon. It's no fun to have to wear broken glasses.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

juliasmom05
DD is obsessed with glasses as well and I just spent last week with really crooked glasses which barely stayed on my face as a result of DD smashing them into the floor. I resigned myself to having to buy a new pair of glasses, but they replaced the frames for free eventhough I told them DD did it. Sorry, I have no tips for keeping them away. Just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one and I hope you get your glasses soon. It's no fun to have to wear broken glasses.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

juliasmom05

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

juliasmom05

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

juliasmom05

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

juliasmom05

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

juliasmom05

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

juliasmom05

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

juliasmom05

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

kedss
06-07-2006, 05:45 PM
I just tell my DS(almost 30 months):

'Mommy won't be able to see your pretty face if you take her glasses!'

It works, and its absolutely true- i've worn glasses since I was 7,
and I'm practically blind without them. :)

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss