PDA

View Full Version : Trying NOT to bitch but....DH & DD potty training issue

Emmas Mom
06-10-2006, 11:49 AM
DD is about 95%+ potty trained. She has few accidents anymore but sometimes seems to "regress". She also will go "just a little bit" in her panties or pull up, stop herself, tell us & then finish on the potty. Well, when DH is watching her (I work 2 days a week for about 6 hours a day), if she has an accident or goes in her panties enough to where it's obvious & they have to be changed (like more than a drop or two) he will "punish" her by making her wear a pull up the rest of the day. I don't agree with this & want her to be put in clean panties. Am I wrong to feel this way?? Would you just put your DC in a pull up? I just feel like it's sending her the wrong message by him putting her in a pull up. I mean, we tell her that they are just like "big girl panties" & that only "big girls" can wear them but I don't want her getting complacent in a pull up, feeling like she's being punished & then continuing to have little accidents. BUT...I don't know how to get DH on board with this.

Emmas Mom
DD is about 95%+ potty trained. She has few accidents anymore but sometimes seems to "regress". She also will go "just a little bit" in her panties or pull up, stop herself, tell us & then finish on the potty. Well, when DH is watching her (I work 2 days a week for about 6 hours a day), if she has an accident or goes in her panties enough to where it's obvious & they have to be changed (like more than a drop or two) he will "punish" her by making her wear a pull up the rest of the day. I don't agree with this & want her to be put in clean panties. Am I wrong to feel this way?? Would you just put your DC in a pull up? I just feel like it's sending her the wrong message by him putting her in a pull up. I mean, we tell her that they are just like "big girl panties" & that only "big girls" can wear them but I don't want her getting complacent in a pull up, feeling like she's being punished & then continuing to have little accidents. BUT...I don't know how to get DH on board with this.

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

R2sweetboys
06-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I think that at least for around the house you should stick to panties. I notice that my son(who is almost 3 1/2!) does tend to become complacent if he has on a pull-up. We still have them for bed-time and sometimes use them if we're going out somewhere that doesn't have easy access to a bathroom. We need to stop though, because it makes US complacent about asking him to go before we leave and when we get somewhere. Pull-ups seem to feel like a diaper to them so it makes it more likely that they will forget and have an accident. I would talk to your DH and let him know how important it is to be consistent. Otherwise, you'll likely be dealiing with these accidents for even longer. Can you confiscate all the pull-ups when you go to work? }( I'm guessing that your DH puts her in a pull-up because it's easier for him but it is just pro-longing the process IMO. Good luck!

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys
I think that at least for around the house you should stick to panties. I notice that my son(who is almost 3 1/2!) does tend to become complacent if he has on a pull-up. We still have them for bed-time and sometimes use them if we're going out somewhere that doesn't have easy access to a bathroom. We need to stop though, because it makes US complacent about asking him to go before we leave and when we get somewhere. Pull-ups seem to feel like a diaper to them so it makes it more likely that they will forget and have an accident. I would talk to your DH and let him know how important it is to be consistent. Otherwise, you'll likely be dealiing with these accidents for even longer. Can you confiscate all the pull-ups when you go to work? }( I'm guessing that your DH puts her in a pull-up because it's easier for him but it is just pro-longing the process IMO. Good luck!

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

R2sweetboys

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

kozachka
06-10-2006, 01:31 PM
I absolutely agree with Leslie that the reason why your DH puts your DD in a pull-up whenever she has an accident is to save himself from the trouble of changing her again. I'd have a talk with him explaining why it is so important to be consistent in the message you sent DD during the potty-training process. Phrases like "best interests of the child" and "you pay either now or later but you still pay" come to mind.

Have to give my DH, who I frequently b!tch about, credit for being a fully-involved parent when we transitioned DS to underwear. Guess because he hated changing diapers even more than underwear. Who is changing pull-ups if DD soils those? I like the idea of making pull-ups disappear }(.

kozachka
I absolutely agree with Leslie that the reason why your DH puts your DD in a pull-up whenever she has an accident is to save himself from the trouble of changing her again. I'd have a talk with him explaining why it is so important to be consistent in the message you sent DD during the potty-training process. Phrases like "best interests of the child" and "you pay either now or later but you still pay" come to mind.

Have to give my DH, who I frequently b!tch about, credit for being a fully-involved parent when we transitioned DS to underwear. Guess because he hated changing diapers even more than underwear. Who is changing pull-ups if DD soils those? I like the idea of making pull-ups disappear }(.

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

psophia17
06-10-2006, 02:22 PM
That's not right - what is your DH thinking?

I keep DS in underpants all the time, except for bedtime and naptime, or if we're going out for a while. We get complacent with the pull-ups when DS is in them, because it's easy to do, but they're just not designed to hold as much as a regular diaper.

My Dh does something similar, though, with trying to come up with punishments for DS when he has an accident...it's very counter-productive, if you ask me...

psophia17

I keep DS in underpants all the time, except for bedtime and naptime, or if we're going out for a while. We get complacent with the pull-ups when DS is in them, because it's easy to do, but they're just not designed to hold as much as a regular diaper.

My Dh does something similar, though, with trying to come up with punishments for DS when he has an accident...it's very counter-productive, if you ask me...

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

jal
06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm sort of on the fence on this issue. I'm not going to go so far as to say either (you or DH) is right/wrong, but let me put forth a different point of view.

As most people that attempt to educate themselves on the subject know, "punishing" a child for having an accident is the WRONG way to teach potty training.

But to what extent is making her wear diapers a "punishment"?

You COULD look at it as a form of encouragement... that it is a "privilege" of a potty trained child to get to wear "big boy/girl" underwear. Therefore, when they can't control themselves like a big boy/girl, they temporarily lose a big boy/girl privilege.

While this "punishment" might just be DH's excuse to avoid having to help "WORK" at potty training DD, perhaps there's a way to meet half way on this issue for a while til DD gets better.

I'd suggest that next time DH wants to punish DD with diapers for the WHOLE DAY next time she has an accident, try to get him to agree to allowing DD to "earn" the privilege of returning to big girl panties if the next time that day she has to potty, she keeps her diaper completely dry (and tell DD exactly this, that she only has to wear the diaper until she can keep it dry "like a big girl" so that the "punishment" will act like an "encouragement").

jal
I'm sort of on the fence on this issue. I'm not going to go so far as to say either (you or DH) is right/wrong, but let me put forth a different point of view.

As most people that attempt to educate themselves on the subject know, "punishing" a child for having an accident is the WRONG way to teach potty training.

You COULD look at it as a form of encouragement... that it is a "privilege" of a potty trained child to get to wear "big boy/girl" underwear. Therefore, when they can't control themselves like a big boy/girl, they temporarily lose a big boy/girl privilege.

While this "punishment" might just be DH's excuse to avoid having to help "WORK" at potty training DD, perhaps there's a way to meet half way on this issue for a while til DD gets better.

I'd suggest that next time DH wants to punish DD with diapers for the WHOLE DAY next time she has an accident, try to get him to agree to allowing DD to "earn" the privilege of returning to big girl panties if the next time that day she has to potty, she keeps her diaper completely dry (and tell DD exactly this, that she only has to wear the diaper until she can keep it dry "like a big girl" so that the "punishment" will act like an "encouragement").

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal