PDA

View Full Version : How difficult should it be to buy black office shoes?

kozachka
06-10-2006, 03:03 PM
I went back to work this Monday and while I fit in all my suits, OK couple skirts can be less tight, it's a disaster as far as my office shoes go. Either my feet got bigger as result of having DS or as result of me wearing flats (my mom's theory). Not a problem, right? I just go shopping and pick couple pairs of mid-height conservative pumps. After visiting about 15 stores, maybe even more, I lost count :(, I discover that apperently pumps are considered to be a cold weather item and since there are sales going on everywhere, most places are out of my fairly popular size (Eur 38.5-39, American 9). Those stores that do have something in my size, have shoes that are either too high, too narrow, too 'decorated' or all of the above. OK, I am in Ukraine right now so that must explain my problem, right? No problem, DH is going to MIL in about a month, so I'll tough it out until than (not my first choice) and just buy couple pairs online from a place with a good return policy. MIL even offers to pay up to $200 for them because she does not know what to buy me for the upcoming bday. I search for the right shoes for a few evenings and come empty handed. This is the closest I came to what I've been looking for http://tinyurl.com/lalnj but I am having doubts about the lizzard embossed part (was hoping for regular leather or even suede) and the price $235 make me cringle, I was hoping to spend much much less, maybe $100-$150. These Cole Haan http://tinyurl.com/q9pu4 would have been perfect if they only had them in my size.

I just want comfortable nice looking shoes that don't cost an arm and a leg. Something that I can wear for 9+ hours, most of which I spend behind my desk, that also look classy. Seems like too much to ask.

ETA: Just to give an idea of how spoiled I once was ;) my office shoes used to be 3" black Sergio Rossi pointy pumps that I got for $100 during store closure sale and about 2" Ferragamo suede pumps bought for $90 from an outlet. Good old days...

kozachka
I went back to work this Monday and while I fit in all my suits, OK couple skirts can be less tight, it's a disaster as far as my office shoes go. Either my feet got bigger as result of having DS or as result of me wearing flats (my mom's theory). Not a problem, right? I just go shopping and pick couple pairs of mid-height conservative pumps. After visiting about 15 stores, maybe even more, I lost count :(, I discover that apperently pumps are considered to be a cold weather item and since there are sales going on everywhere, most places are out of my fairly popular size (Eur 38.5-39, American 9). Those stores that do have something in my size, have shoes that are either too high, too narrow, too 'decorated' or all of the above. OK, I am in Ukraine right now so that must explain my problem, right? No problem, DH is going to MIL in about a month, so I'll tough it out until than (not my first choice) and just buy couple pairs online from a place with a good return policy. MIL even offers to pay up to $200 for them because she does not know what to buy me for the upcoming bday. I search for the right shoes for a few evenings and come empty handed. This is the closest I came to what I've been looking for http://tinyurl.com/lalnj but I am having doubts about the lizzard embossed part (was hoping for regular leather or even suede) and the price $235 make me cringle, I was hoping to spend much much less, maybe $100-$150. These Cole Haan http://tinyurl.com/q9pu4 would have been perfect if they only had them in my size.

I just want comfortable nice looking shoes that don't cost an arm and a leg. Something that I can wear for 9+ hours, most of which I spend behind my desk, that also look classy. Seems like too much to ask.

ETA: Just to give an idea of how spoiled I once was ;) my office shoes used to be 3" black Sergio Rossi pointy pumps that I got for $100 during store closure sale and about 2" Ferragamo suede pumps bought for $90 from an outlet. Good old days...

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

chiqanita
06-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Oh I remember the days of wearing nice looking pumps. My favorites were my patent leather pumps and my red pumps. Well, that was in the 80s/90s. I stopped wearing pumps when I became a teacher and switched to chunky comfortable shoes. Now I go around with bare feet, flip flops, slippers or Birkenstocks all day long. My feet are now a size 8. Maybe your mother in law is half right. If I remember correctly when a woman is pregnant he body starts to release a hormone that loosens up the joints and prepares her body for the birth of her baby. I wish I could remember it all but that's all I remember. Maybe those two things combined set us up for wider/bigger feet.

I like the second pair of pumps.

chiqanita
Oh I remember the days of wearing nice looking pumps. My favorites were my patent leather pumps and my red pumps. Well, that was in the 80s/90s. I stopped wearing pumps when I became a teacher and switched to chunky comfortable shoes. Now I go around with bare feet, flip flops, slippers or Birkenstocks all day long. My feet are now a size 8. Maybe your mother in law is half right. If I remember correctly when a woman is pregnant he body starts to release a hormone that loosens up the joints and prepares her body for the birth of her baby. I wish I could remember it all but that's all I remember. Maybe those two things combined set us up for wider/bigger feet.

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

jarrettsmom9705
06-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Wow, you're in the Ukraine? Just goes to prove that the Internet opens up the world. I read your messages / responses all the time and to think you're half way around the globe!
Oh, yeah, shoes. Sorry, I to get OT. I have a similar problem in that I am a size 5 US (really a 4.5, but no one makes women's shoes that small) and the stores NEVER have a pair I like in my size. The salespeople always tell me that they only get one size 5 if at all. Needless to say, I always have to pay full price for shoes if I'm lucky enough to find a pair in my size.
Hope you have better luck.
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Wow, you're in the Ukraine? Just goes to prove that the Internet opens up the world. I read your messages / responses all the time and to think you're half way around the globe!
Oh, yeah, shoes. Sorry, I to get OT. I have a similar problem in that I am a size 5 US (really a 4.5, but no one makes women's shoes that small) and the stores NEVER have a pair I like in my size. The salespeople always tell me that they only get one size 5 if at all. Needless to say, I always have to pay full price for shoes if I'm lucky enough to find a pair in my size.
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Tracy

kozachka
06-11-2006, 02:01 AM
I knew about women's feet going up half a size after pregnancy. I am just surprised that I did not discover it earlier, DS is 30+ months. Guess it's because casual shoes and sneakers are more forgiving. My mom's theory, which is a whole other b!tch, is that my feet got bigger because I was wearing mostly flats since meeting my now DH who is slightly shorter than I am. She thinks that I let myself go and not wearing nice shoes/pumps is clearly an indication of that. As well as not getting weekly manicures, styling my hair, wearing t-shirts and jeans/khaki pants, i.e. being casual in general. This is one of those extremely rare occasions when MIL is more understanding and supportive of my problem than my own mom, not like I was expecting any solutions from her, just wanted to vent and she dumped this whole load of "you let yourself go so here's the result" on me.

Thanks for letting me vent, I felt so much better. And after spending the better part of the night looking through Zapatos and such, ended up ordering Ecco City Copenhagen pumps from STP http://tinyurl.com/kcde3. The heel is slightly higher than what I was looking for, hoping that they would still be comfortable because they are Ecco, and according to the reviews they run half-size large. I really want them to fit the bill and my foot. And since I found a 20% off $75 coupon for STP on Fatwallet, I also ordered the last pair of Stuart Weitzman Online Suede Pumps in size 10 http://tinyurl.com/geuld . Supposedly those run half a size small so there is a chance they will be half size too big but for the extra $24.18 I was willing to take a chance ;). Stuart Weitzman shoes are also normally very comfortable, I've had a few pairs before. Besides STP has great return policy. Of course, I could have used something else as a filler to qualify for a coupon ;) but I talked myself into getting another pair of shoes. Gilty as charged. I forgot how much fun (and dangerous) shoes shopping for oneself can be.

ETA: spelling

kozachka
I knew about women's feet going up half a size after pregnancy. I am just surprised that I did not discover it earlier, DS is 30+ months. Guess it's because casual shoes and sneakers are more forgiving. My mom's theory, which is a whole other b!tch, is that my feet got bigger because I was wearing mostly flats since meeting my now DH who is slightly shorter than I am. She thinks that I let myself go and not wearing nice shoes/pumps is clearly an indication of that. As well as not getting weekly manicures, styling my hair, wearing t-shirts and jeans/khaki pants, i.e. being casual in general. This is one of those extremely rare occasions when MIL is more understanding and supportive of my problem than my own mom, not like I was expecting any solutions from her, just wanted to vent and she dumped this whole load of "you let yourself go so here's the result" on me.

Thanks for letting me vent, I felt so much better. And after spending the better part of the night looking through Zapatos and such, ended up ordering Ecco City Copenhagen pumps from STP http://tinyurl.com/kcde3. The heel is slightly higher than what I was looking for, hoping that they would still be comfortable because they are Ecco, and according to the reviews they run half-size large. I really want them to fit the bill and my foot. And since I found a 20% off $75 coupon for STP on Fatwallet, I also ordered the last pair of Stuart Weitzman Online Suede Pumps in size 10 http://tinyurl.com/geuld . Supposedly those run half a size small so there is a chance they will be half size too big but for the extra $24.18 I was willing to take a chance ;). Stuart Weitzman shoes are also normally very comfortable, I've had a few pairs before. Besides STP has great return policy. Of course, I could have used something else as a filler to qualify for a coupon ;) but I talked myself into getting another pair of shoes. Gilty as charged. I forgot how much fun (and dangerous) shoes shopping for oneself can be.

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka
06-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Size 4.5, wow, that's really tiny. My shoes shopping frustrations are probably nothing in comparison with yours. You'll do well in Asia though :). We vacationed in Thailand recently and the biggest shoes, 43 I think, they had in store were about half size too small for me, so probably 8.5 American. And a friend of mine who has small feet, but nowhere near as small as yours, has had good luck shopping for shoes at junior and kids departments in Nordstrom. Won't work for office shoes but is great for trendy stuff and sneakers.

We've moved to Ukraine at the end of October last year and while I am originally from there, I am glad I had BBB to rely upon while adjusting to the new reality. Having spent big chunk of my adult life in the States I still feel like an outsider in my homeland but that's a whole other post. Hopefully we'll be able to come back to California by the time DS has to go to kindergarten, maybe even preschool. There are a few BBB members who are currently living overseas. Internet is great.

kozachka
Size 4.5, wow, that's really tiny. My shoes shopping frustrations are probably nothing in comparison with yours. You'll do well in Asia though :). We vacationed in Thailand recently and the biggest shoes, 43 I think, they had in store were about half size too small for me, so probably 8.5 American. And a friend of mine who has small feet, but nowhere near as small as yours, has had good luck shopping for shoes at junior and kids departments in Nordstrom. Won't work for office shoes but is great for trendy stuff and sneakers.

We've moved to Ukraine at the end of October last year and while I am originally from there, I am glad I had BBB to rely upon while adjusting to the new reality. Having spent big chunk of my adult life in the States I still feel like an outsider in my homeland but that's a whole other post. Hopefully we'll be able to come back to California by the time DS has to go to kindergarten, maybe even preschool. There are a few BBB members who are currently living overseas. Internet is great.

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

jesseandgrace
06-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Did you say you looked through all of Zappos.com? That is what I was going to suggest. I think you will like ecco shoes.

jesseandgrace
Did you say you looked through all of Zappos.com? That is what I was going to suggest. I think you will like ecco shoes.

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

kozachka
06-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I would not dare say that I've looked through all of Zappos.com but I've spent few hours there. I certainly looked at all black pumps with mid-height and high heels. Normally I would not think to look at Ecco shoes for pumps, athletic shoes yes, but these look like they should work. I just hope they are not too utilitarian looking IYKWIM. I can use a confidence boost which comes from wearing killer heels/being dressed on-par with your peers.

Anyway, I'll keep checking local stores, hoping to find something to wear before the second part of July when DH will get my online order from the States. Wondering if MIL would be willing to ship these to Ukraine and whether it would qualify as a business expense ;).

kozachka
Thanks for your suggestion. I would not dare say that I've looked through all of Zappos.com but I've spent few hours there. I certainly looked at all black pumps with mid-height and high heels. Normally I would not think to look at Ecco shoes for pumps, athletic shoes yes, but these look like they should work. I just hope they are not too utilitarian looking IYKWIM. I can use a confidence boost which comes from wearing killer heels/being dressed on-par with your peers.

Anyway, I'll keep checking local stores, hoping to find something to wear before the second part of July when DH will get my online order from the States. Wondering if MIL would be willing to ship these to Ukraine and whether it would qualify as a business expense ;).

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka