PDA

View Full Version : Grrr....DH not giving the dog her meds!

nfowife
06-10-2006, 07:22 PM
So, we have a 5 year old lab who is a great dog (we have 2, they are both wonderful!). Except for the pounds of hair they shed daily (I have no idea how they even have hair on them, they shed so much!), they are great. Our older lab started leaking urine about 8 months ago, so we took her to the vet after figuring out what it was and she was put on some meds that help it out- no leaking anymore. Great! Except that cheapskate DH thinks it is a crock, and that once the pills "fix" the problem, we can cut back/stop the pills. Ummmmmm, no. This has happened multiple times, where DH will be the one to feed the dogs for a while, I'll notice the dog leaking, ask him if he's been giving her her pills, he'll say something like "not exactly" and I have to lecture him about it. It is not fun to find little puddles of dog pee around my house!!! And it is not fair to the dog to have to lock her up each time until she stops leaking!! Suck it up DH, it's only $30 a month for the dumb pills!!

Maybe one day when he's old and incontinent, I'll "not exactly" remember to give him a new depends diaper or something!

nfowife
So, we have a 5 year old lab who is a great dog (we have 2, they are both wonderful!). Except for the pounds of hair they shed daily (I have no idea how they even have hair on them, they shed so much!), they are great. Our older lab started leaking urine about 8 months ago, so we took her to the vet after figuring out what it was and she was put on some meds that help it out- no leaking anymore. Great! Except that cheapskate DH thinks it is a crock, and that once the pills "fix" the problem, we can cut back/stop the pills. Ummmmmm, no. This has happened multiple times, where DH will be the one to feed the dogs for a while, I'll notice the dog leaking, ask him if he's been giving her her pills, he'll say something like "not exactly" and I have to lecture him about it. It is not fun to find little puddles of dog pee around my house!!! And it is not fair to the dog to have to lock her up each time until she stops leaking!! Suck it up DH, it's only $30 a month for the dumb pills!!

Maybe one day when he's old and incontinent, I'll "not exactly" remember to give him a new depends diaper or something!

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

Radosti
06-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Oh, my DH would be sleeping outside if he did that. But then, he wouldn't. He was very supportive when my rotti/golden mix started bloating and we incurred $15K in vet bills in 6 months. Luckily, I bought Rocky health insurance before he got sick and they reimbursed us for about $9K. Rocky lived another 3 years and was on Flagyl and Pepsid meds for the whole time. He died of kidney failure in the end :( He was my soul dog.

Radosti
Oh, my DH would be sleeping outside if he did that. But then, he wouldn't. He was very supportive when my rotti/golden mix started bloating and we incurred $15K in vet bills in 6 months. Luckily, I bought Rocky health insurance before he got sick and they reimbursed us for about $9K. Rocky lived another 3 years and was on Flagyl and Pepsid meds for the whole time. He died of kidney failure in the end :( He was my soul dog.

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

tbriese
06-11-2006, 03:57 PM
maybe a vet who isn't financially benefiting from his dog can give some insight here :-) .

based on what you are saying, i'm guessing that your dog was diagnosed with spay incontinence and probably put on Proin (drug name phenylpropanolamine). it can't fix the problem, it simply strengthens the urethral sphincter. that being said, i will usually start the dog on 2x daily meds for 7-10 days and then back off to once-a-day dosing at night. most dogs do well with nightly dosing but a few still need it am/pm. so if you are doing am/pm dosing it might make your hubby happy to try pm dosing. if you're already doing pm only dosing, then that's it.

hope that helps :-)

tbriese
maybe a vet who isn't financially benefiting from his dog can give some insight here :-) .

based on what you are saying, i'm guessing that your dog was diagnosed with spay incontinence and probably put on Proin (drug name phenylpropanolamine). it can't fix the problem, it simply strengthens the urethral sphincter. that being said, i will usually start the dog on 2x daily meds for 7-10 days and then back off to once-a-day dosing at night. most dogs do well with nightly dosing but a few still need it am/pm. so if you are doing am/pm dosing it might make your hubby happy to try pm dosing. if you're already doing pm only dosing, then that's it.

tbriese

tbriese

tbriese

tbriese

tbriese

tbriese

tbriese

Momof3Labs
06-11-2006, 07:55 PM
No advice, but we have a dog that is leaky too - unfortunately, PPA (phenylpropanolamine) didn't help him, so he wears doggie diapers in the house! Sometimes DS lets the dogs in (of course, doesn't put on the diaper), and it is such a pain to try to find all the drips (we have hardwood) to wipe up! Yuck!

Momof3Labs
No advice, but we have a dog that is leaky too - unfortunately, PPA (phenylpropanolamine) didn't help him, so he wears doggie diapers in the house! Sometimes DS lets the dogs in (of course, doesn't put on the diaper), and it is such a pain to try to find all the drips (we have hardwood) to wipe up! Yuck!

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

Momof3Labs

khalloc
06-12-2006, 09:08 AM
What does she take? Our dog takes Proin. It comes in a white bottle iwth a purple + white label. She has 1 pill 2x a day and its about $15 a month.

khalloc
What does she take? Our dog takes Proin. It comes in a white bottle iwth a purple + white label. She has 1 pill 2x a day and its about $15 a month.

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

stillplayswithbarbies
06-12-2006, 10:43 AM
I can sympathize. Our (female spayed) dog had this problem and was put on estrogen. It was a daily dose, gradually tapering off to once a week. But DH forgets to give it sometimes . . . so I can't tell if the dose is not working or if it is because she goes longer than a week between doses.

stillplayswithbarbies
I can sympathize. Our (female spayed) dog had this problem and was put on estrogen. It was a daily dose, gradually tapering off to once a week. But DH forgets to give it sometimes . . . so I can't tell if the dose is not working or if it is because she goes longer than a week between doses.

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

nfowife
06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes she is taking phenylpropanolamine for spay incontinence. We started with 2 pills/day (a.m./p.m.) and tried to go down to 1 a day but she started leaking. So now we do half a pill a.m. and p.m. and occasionally we will have to go back up to 1 pill a.m. and half a pill p.m. I just get very annoyed when DH "forgets" to give her the pills!

nfowife
Yes she is taking phenylpropanolamine for spay incontinence. We started with 2 pills/day (a.m./p.m.) and tried to go down to 1 a day but she started leaking. So now we do half a pill a.m. and p.m. and occasionally we will have to go back up to 1 pill a.m. and half a pill p.m. I just get very annoyed when DH "forgets" to give her the pills!

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife