PDA

View Full Version : Ebay etiquette-type question with vent

Canna
06-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Sooo...I am kind of annoyed. I'm sorry if this is kind of long.

I bought some babylegs on ebay. The seller had a long list of styles that she had available and was offering a "buy 3 get 1 free" deal. The seller had posted three updates about certain colors being sold out, including one that had been posted earlier the same day that I placed my order. There were a couple of colors still available that I was very interested in and a couple more that I thought were cute but not necessarily what I would choose if I could choose ANY babylegs. But, since it seemed like a good deal, I bought 3 and indicated in my comments to the seller which 4 colors I wanted, then paid immediately via Paypal.

So, the next day I get an email that seems very strange in which the seller says, "I pulled this auction, b/c I sold out of so many styles!! I'm not quite sure how yours managed to get through! I have 3 of the styles you want, but I am sold out of Pink Multi Stripe." And wants me to choose another color.

This annoys me because only ONE person, according to the auction history, bought any of her items between the time she posted her "sold out" update and the time I placed my order. And that person ordered only one pair. So unless that person bought the only remaining pair in that color...why should it be sold out.

Also, she stopped the auction WAAAAY after I placed my order. In fact three people placed orders AFTER I did (for 5 total pairs). So it's not that my order "managed to get through" mysteriously!

I emailed the seller back telling her exactly when I placed my order and that I actually really wanted Pink Multi Stripe and did not want to pick another color. So she emailed me back today just offering to refund my money.

I'm just really annoyed because I feel like the whole thing was handled very strangely. It's really making me grumpy. I feel like I did everything properly, and I also don't feel like the seller is being completely honest with me. If she had emailed me and said, "I'm so sorry - I thought I still had Pink Multistripe in stock but I don't." I probably would have accepted it more readily but the whole "I'm not quite sure how yours managed to get through" thing really annoys me, as if it's somehow MY fault for having placed this order to begin with!! GRRRR!

If this belongs in Bitching Post, feel free to move it, I'm sorry.

Canna

I bought some babylegs on ebay. The seller had a long list of styles that she had available and was offering a "buy 3 get 1 free" deal. The seller had posted three updates about certain colors being sold out, including one that had been posted earlier the same day that I placed my order. There were a couple of colors still available that I was very interested in and a couple more that I thought were cute but not necessarily what I would choose if I could choose ANY babylegs. But, since it seemed like a good deal, I bought 3 and indicated in my comments to the seller which 4 colors I wanted, then paid immediately via Paypal.

So, the next day I get an email that seems very strange in which the seller says, "I pulled this auction, b/c I sold out of so many styles!! I'm not quite sure how yours managed to get through! I have 3 of the styles you want, but I am sold out of Pink Multi Stripe." And wants me to choose another color.

This annoys me because only ONE person, according to the auction history, bought any of her items between the time she posted her "sold out" update and the time I placed my order. And that person ordered only one pair. So unless that person bought the only remaining pair in that color...why should it be sold out.

Also, she stopped the auction WAAAAY after I placed my order. In fact three people placed orders AFTER I did (for 5 total pairs). So it's not that my order "managed to get through" mysteriously!

I emailed the seller back telling her exactly when I placed my order and that I actually really wanted Pink Multi Stripe and did not want to pick another color. So she emailed me back today just offering to refund my money.

I'm just really annoyed because I feel like the whole thing was handled very strangely. It's really making me grumpy. I feel like I did everything properly, and I also don't feel like the seller is being completely honest with me. If she had emailed me and said, "I'm so sorry - I thought I still had Pink Multistripe in stock but I don't." I probably would have accepted it more readily but the whole "I'm not quite sure how yours managed to get through" thing really annoys me, as if it's somehow MY fault for having placed this order to begin with!! GRRRR!

Canna

Canna

Canna

Canna

Canna

Canna

Canna

KBecks
06-11-2006, 08:06 AM
It's totally not your fault, but take the refund and move on. It's not worth stressing over. :)

I'm sorry you didn't get the item you wanted, but hopefully you'll find another source.

KBecks
It's totally not your fault, but take the refund and move on. It's not worth stressing over. :)

I'm sorry you didn't get the item you wanted, but hopefully you'll find another source.

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

kozachka
06-12-2006, 01:56 AM
I totally see what you are saying about the seller possibly not being completely honest and why you are annoyed. You got emotionally invested in this transaction and it is only natural that you are upset. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory, i.e. eBay, not all sellers are straightforward and there is nothing else you can do but to collect your refund and shop some place else. In my experience even leaving negative feedback backfires, the seller might twist the truth in her feedback for you, that's at least what happened with me.

kozachka
I totally see what you are saying about the seller possibly not being completely honest and why you are annoyed. You got emotionally invested in this transaction and it is only natural that you are upset. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory, i.e. eBay, not all sellers are straightforward and there is nothing else you can do but to collect your refund and shop some place else. In my experience even leaving negative feedback backfires, the seller might twist the truth in her feedback for you, that's at least what happened with me.

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

stillplayswithbarbies
06-12-2006, 11:03 AM
That type of auction is called a "choice auction" and is againt eBay rules for exactly what happened to you.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-choice.html

You can report her to eBay as a non-performing seller. That won't get you your babylegs, but at least you know it was her fault and her mistake.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html

If she has any other auctions running like that, you can report them and eBay will close them.

stillplayswithbarbies
That type of auction is called a "choice auction" and is againt eBay rules for exactly what happened to you.

You can report her to eBay as a non-performing seller. That won't get you your babylegs, but at least you know it was her fault and her mistake.

If she has any other auctions running like that, you can report them and eBay will close them.

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

stillplayswithbarbies

Canna
06-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Hmmmm...that is very interesting that it seems this kind of auction is specifically prohibited. But I'm concerned that if I report it, she may leave negative feedback for me. It seems like maybe the best thing to do is just to get over it, but it frustrates me that I feel powerless when a seller isn't doing a proper job. :(

Canna
Hmmmm...that is very interesting that it seems this kind of auction is specifically prohibited. But I'm concerned that if I report it, she may leave negative feedback for me. It seems like maybe the best thing to do is just to get over it, but it frustrates me that I feel powerless when a seller isn't doing a proper job. :(

Canna

Canna

Canna

Canna

Canna

Canna

Canna