PDA

View Full Version : When?

farsk
06-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Hello!

Not necessarily a bitch...just need some mama advice and opinions.

I'm not dating right now, and in fact have pulled in the lines (well, ok, I admit it...I did cast a line Friday....we'll see if that produces anything ;)).

I'm finding it pretty hard to trust men in general with my heart, but what I am afraid will be near impossible is to trust them with my child.

I have already decided not to introduce Ellen to the man in my life unless the relationship is significant.

But when is it appropriate? I'm not sure that I can/will get married again (but maybe)....I'm scared of a repeat like the last one.

But what I'm most frightened of is this.....what if he is a pervy sicko? The thought disgusts me typing it, but I know it's one that I must be mindful of.

Any thoughts? Advice?

farsk
Hello!

I'm not dating right now, and in fact have pulled in the lines (well, ok, I admit it...I did cast a line Friday....we'll see if that produces anything ;)).

I'm finding it pretty hard to trust men in general with my heart, but what I am afraid will be near impossible is to trust them with my child.

I have already decided not to introduce Ellen to the man in my life unless the relationship is significant.

But when is it appropriate? I'm not sure that I can/will get married again (but maybe)....I'm scared of a repeat like the last one.

But what I'm most frightened of is this.....what if he is a pervy sicko? The thought disgusts me typing it, but I know it's one that I must be mindful of.

Any thoughts? Advice?

farsk
Hello!

Any thoughts? Advice?

farsk
Hello!

Any thoughts? Advice?

farsk
Hello!

Any thoughts? Advice?

farsk
Hello!

Any thoughts? Advice?

farsk
Hello!

Any thoughts? Advice?

farsk
Hello!

Any thoughts? Advice?

farsk
Hello!

Any thoughts? Advice?

mommy111
06-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Shannon, no good advice here, just writing to offer support and say I totally understand where you're coming from. I keep looking at my neighbors wondering....
A friend of mine who got out of a bad relationship waited until she was pretty certain she was going to move in/almost engaged before she brought DD into the pic. Of course it helped that DD was very young (about Ellen's age) when that happened. She also said, however, that even at that point she was ready to drop him in a heartbeat if he didn't get along with her DD.

mommy111
Shannon, no good advice here, just writing to offer support and say I totally understand where you're coming from. I keep looking at my neighbors wondering....
A friend of mine who got out of a bad relationship waited until she was pretty certain she was going to move in/almost engaged before she brought DD into the pic. Of course it helped that DD was very young (about Ellen's age) when that happened. She also said, however, that even at that point she was ready to drop him in a heartbeat if he didn't get along with her DD.

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

KBecks
06-12-2006, 07:16 AM
I wonder if someone like Dr. Phil has advice on this stuff. I think you are right not to introduce any love interest to your daughter, and you are right to be extra wary because there are abusers who "prey" on single women with daughters. You'll need to be protective now through all the teen years into early adulthood.

Wish there was an easy answer. You may want to consider criminal background checks on anyone you would want to get close to.

KBecks
I wonder if someone like Dr. Phil has advice on this stuff. I think you are right not to introduce any love interest to your daughter, and you are right to be extra wary because there are abusers who "prey" on single women with daughters. You'll need to be protective now through all the teen years into early adulthood.

Wish there was an easy answer. You may want to consider criminal background checks on anyone you would want to get close to.

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

janeybwild
06-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Shannon, no magic answer to a very difficult and thought provoking question. My only advice would be to keep your gut open to odd signs. I think that can be hard to do when infatuation with someone kicks in and we want something to work. Especially something hot and heavy that comes on fast. I would also go for a criminal background check without hesitation. Sad, but a necessity in today's day and age I think :( Good luck

janeybwild
Shannon, no magic answer to a very difficult and thought provoking question. My only advice would be to keep your gut open to odd signs. I think that can be hard to do when infatuation with someone kicks in and we want something to work. Especially something hot and heavy that comes on fast. I would also go for a criminal background check without hesitation. Sad, but a necessity in today's day and age I think :( Good luck

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

jesseandgrace
06-12-2006, 05:06 PM
I think there are things that will help you to 'know" , I'm sure nothing is foolproof, but how does the man get along with his friends and family, how to the other children in his family (nephews, nieces, etc) respond to him, and things like that. You will probably know you have found a good guy when you find him. I know that is hard to say after what you have been through, but I think you can trust your instincts and then use every available bit of information to help you.

jesseandgrace
I think there are things that will help you to 'know" , I'm sure nothing is foolproof, but how does the man get along with his friends and family, how to the other children in his family (nephews, nieces, etc) respond to him, and things like that. You will probably know you have found a good guy when you find him. I know that is hard to say after what you have been through, but I think you can trust your instincts and then use every available bit of information to help you.

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

jesseandgrace

farsk
06-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks y'all...

As it is, I run criminal records checks on anyone I go out with.

You're right about seeing if he is close to his family...that would be a definate tell...

farsk
Thanks y'all...

You're right about seeing if he is close to his family...that would be a definate tell...

farsk
Thanks y'all...

farsk
Thanks y'all...

farsk
Thanks y'all...

farsk
Thanks y'all...

farsk
Thanks y'all...

farsk
Thanks y'all...

farsk
Thanks y'all...

mommy111
06-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Shannon, your line on running background checks on everyone you date made me smile; I would completely only ever consider doing that as a last resort but yet in the old days thought nothing about running a web search for the curriculum vitae and publications of anyone I dated! What a sound practice, though, I'm filing it away in my mind as one of the things to teach DD about dating.

mommy111
Shannon, your line on running background checks on everyone you date made me smile; I would completely only ever consider doing that as a last resort but yet in the old days thought nothing about running a web search for the curriculum vitae and publications of anyone I dated! What a sound practice, though, I'm filing it away in my mind as one of the things to teach DD about dating.

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

farsk
06-12-2006, 10:07 PM
tee hee...

Well, with my job it's easy....

I can't associate with people on probation/parole and I need to know who has had felony convictions...

So, I consider running their record part of my job to know what the men have been up to! :)

farsk
tee hee...

I can't associate with people on probation/parole and I need to know who has had felony convictions...

So, I consider running their record part of my job to know what the men have been up to! :)

farsk
tee hee...

farsk
tee hee...

farsk
tee hee...

farsk
tee hee...

farsk
tee hee...

farsk
tee hee...

farsk
tee hee...