PDA

View Full Version : DD won't sleep, DH won't help

oliviasmomma
06-12-2006, 05:43 AM
I am soooooo tired! DD (13 mo) will not go to sleep at night any more. She isn't really cranky, but she just wants to be up until 10 or 11. I think it's because it is so light out at night these days and we don't have any curtains. Anyway, on top of this, we have to wake her in the middle of the night to eat because of her metabolic disorder. (In all other ways she is normal.) Ater getting up for this feeding, she doesn't want to go back to sleep alone. Every night for the last four weeks, I've sat up with her for 2 hours until she falls asleep.

Anyway...DD would not nap yesterday and I really needed one! Then she would not sleep last night until 11. I went to bed and she woke at 3:30--about an hour before I was going to get her up anyway. I laid in bed as she started to whine and played the waiting game with DH to see if her would get up. He grunted, tossed and turned, etc, and FINALLY got up. About ten minutes later I hear DD crying loudly so I get up. She is in the high chair and DH is trying to feed her but obviously she doesn't want anything. I pick her up and she quiets down right away. He gives me this hopeless look and shuffles back to bed.

DD doesn't want to eat, but I finally manage to get her to drink some juice and eat some veggie booty. To make this short, she finally went to sleep about an hour before I had to get up, so I just stayed awake. I don't know how I am going to make it through another day with only a few hours of sleep--I've been up since 3:30. I feel so tired and I just wish DH would figure it out, you know?

DH is in nursing school full time and running a business, so I realize he has a lot to do. Still, I need sleep, and I need him to suck it up and figure out how to keep DD happy so I can have a turn sleeping. I do this every night so he can get enough sleep--why can't he just figure it out???

I seriously don't know how much more I can do this before I loose my mind. The other thing is that when everyone has the flu, guess who is up all night? One night last week, DH actually got up, but then felt "queasy" and had to get me up. Honestly, do I have two babies at home? On top of everything else, I had to put off knee surgery until he has a break from school, so my knee is very swollen and painful. Somehow I can run after DD with a bum knee, but DH can't feed DD when he feels queasy. Give me a break!

oliviasmomma
I am soooooo tired! DD (13 mo) will not go to sleep at night any more. She isn't really cranky, but she just wants to be up until 10 or 11. I think it's because it is so light out at night these days and we don't have any curtains. Anyway, on top of this, we have to wake her in the middle of the night to eat because of her metabolic disorder. (In all other ways she is normal.) Ater getting up for this feeding, she doesn't want to go back to sleep alone. Every night for the last four weeks, I've sat up with her for 2 hours until she falls asleep.

Anyway...DD would not nap yesterday and I really needed one! Then she would not sleep last night until 11. I went to bed and she woke at 3:30--about an hour before I was going to get her up anyway. I laid in bed as she started to whine and played the waiting game with DH to see if her would get up. He grunted, tossed and turned, etc, and FINALLY got up. About ten minutes later I hear DD crying loudly so I get up. She is in the high chair and DH is trying to feed her but obviously she doesn't want anything. I pick her up and she quiets down right away. He gives me this hopeless look and shuffles back to bed.

DD doesn't want to eat, but I finally manage to get her to drink some juice and eat some veggie booty. To make this short, she finally went to sleep about an hour before I had to get up, so I just stayed awake. I don't know how I am going to make it through another day with only a few hours of sleep--I've been up since 3:30. I feel so tired and I just wish DH would figure it out, you know?

DH is in nursing school full time and running a business, so I realize he has a lot to do. Still, I need sleep, and I need him to suck it up and figure out how to keep DD happy so I can have a turn sleeping. I do this every night so he can get enough sleep--why can't he just figure it out???

I seriously don't know how much more I can do this before I loose my mind. The other thing is that when everyone has the flu, guess who is up all night? One night last week, DH actually got up, but then felt "queasy" and had to get me up. Honestly, do I have two babies at home? On top of everything else, I had to put off knee surgery until he has a break from school, so my knee is very swollen and painful. Somehow I can run after DD with a bum knee, but DH can't feed DD when he feels queasy. Give me a break!

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

janeybwild
06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Oh gosh, you sound like you are at your wits end. There's nothing like chronic lack of sleep to drive you to the brink. I don't pretend to have an answer for your DDs sleep problems, but is there any chance that you could hire a mom's help during the day for a couple of hours, just to let you nap while you get through this stage? It doesn’t have to be expensive, but your sanity is worth so much more. This would also be a good time to reach out to any family or friends and ask for help if possible. I don't know your situtation, but I do know that DD and DH need you sane. Otherwise, it sounds like a frank talk with DH is in order. Busy as he is, he needs to be part of the solution not the problem :( Hang in there. Hugs

janeybwild
Oh gosh, you sound like you are at your wits end. There's nothing like chronic lack of sleep to drive you to the brink. I don't pretend to have an answer for your DDs sleep problems, but is there any chance that you could hire a mom's help during the day for a couple of hours, just to let you nap while you get through this stage? It doesn’t have to be expensive, but your sanity is worth so much more. This would also be a good time to reach out to any family or friends and ask for help if possible. I don't know your situtation, but I do know that DD and DH need you sane. Otherwise, it sounds like a frank talk with DH is in order. Busy as he is, he needs to be part of the solution not the problem :( Hang in there. Hugs

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

psophia17
06-12-2006, 10:14 AM
My DH is like that when DS won't sleep, or when he's sick, or when DS is sick, for that matter - it drives me crazy to begin with, and the lack of sleep makes it worse.

Have you tried to talk to your DH to get him to understand what you're going through? He should know something about lack of sleep, and since your DD is 13mos, you've had a lack of sleep for at least that long, plus the time you were pregnant. He needs to catch on that you can't just keep running on empty.

I second the PP's suggestion of getting a mother's helper, or tapping a family member for help.

Last week was very hard in our house because DS wouldn't sleep, and by day 6, I was ready to explode with rage. DH took a half day to let me rest, and it made all the difference.

Big hugs to you - and a swift mental kick in the pants for your DH :)

psophia17
My DH is like that when DS won't sleep, or when he's sick, or when DS is sick, for that matter - it drives me crazy to begin with, and the lack of sleep makes it worse.

Have you tried to talk to your DH to get him to understand what you're going through? He should know something about lack of sleep, and since your DD is 13mos, you've had a lack of sleep for at least that long, plus the time you were pregnant. He needs to catch on that you can't just keep running on empty.

I second the PP's suggestion of getting a mother's helper, or tapping a family member for help.

Last week was very hard in our house because DS wouldn't sleep, and by day 6, I was ready to explode with rage. DH took a half day to let me rest, and it made all the difference.

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

pampamz
06-12-2006, 02:19 PM
You do need a break -- you might not have as much outside work on your hands as he does but still!
Hoping things are improving for you -- if not I hope you have some family nearby who can give you a break. Lack of sleep sucks and eventually you will snap!
Good luck...sorry I have no concrete advise but I am on your side!

pampamz
You do need a break -- you might not have as much outside work on your hands as he does but still!
Hoping things are improving for you -- if not I hope you have some family nearby who can give you a break. Lack of sleep sucks and eventually you will snap!

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

oliviasmomma
06-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Thank you so much for the support! I just read my post, and yikes, I was PO'd this morning. I am going to take your advice and talk to the neighbor to see if she can help every few days--that is a great suggestion! Part of the issue is that we are in the country, so our closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. I'm a city girl at heart, so sometimes this feels so foreign to me. (Not that I have energy to do much anyway!)

It is so helpful to know I'm not the only one. FOr some reason I always think I should know how do do it all, you know?

oliviasmomma
Thank you so much for the support! I just read my post, and yikes, I was PO'd this morning. I am going to take your advice and talk to the neighbor to see if she can help every few days--that is a great suggestion! Part of the issue is that we are in the country, so our closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. I'm a city girl at heart, so sometimes this feels so foreign to me. (Not that I have energy to do much anyway!)

It is so helpful to know I'm not the only one. FOr some reason I always think I should know how do do it all, you know?

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma

oliviasmomma