PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE FROM BE > Bare Minerals -- SPF -- what SPF?

pampamz
06-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Here's my response from BE:

"Even though there is SPF in the foundation it is not meant as a substitute for your usual sunscreen. If the product has been working fine when you use the moisturizer with SPF 15 then we do recommend that you continue to use that along with your foundation. Our SPF is only designed to give minimal protection so in the summer months I would continue to use the product the way you did originally."

?? So...don't use it as sunscreen?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
BOOO -- I have a major sunburn on my face!

After playing in a baseball game yesterday afternoon (where I usually only put on my moisturizer with SPF 15 in the morning and it covers me) I am totally burnt.

I skipped the moisturizer and thought I would be fine, since the BE stuff claims to have SPF 15 in it.

Well, never again. I'm treating this stuff like any old powder and NEVER considering it to have an SPF value again!

I needed to rant...my face looks like a tomato (I haven't had a burn like this on my face since I was a kid!).

ETA: Do you think the revver-upper vitamins primer could have made this even worse? My cheek bones almost have a purple tinge to them, I'm so burnt...

pampamz

"Even though there is SPF in the foundation it is not meant as a substitute for your usual sunscreen. If the product has been working fine when you use the moisturizer with SPF 15 then we do recommend that you continue to use that along with your foundation. Our SPF is only designed to give minimal protection so in the summer months I would continue to use the product the way you did originally."

After playing in a baseball game yesterday afternoon (where I usually only put on my moisturizer with SPF 15 in the morning and it covers me) I am totally burnt.

I skipped the moisturizer and thought I would be fine, since the BE stuff claims to have SPF 15 in it.

Well, never again. I'm treating this stuff like any old powder and NEVER considering it to have an SPF value again!

I needed to rant...my face looks like a tomato (I haven't had a burn like this on my face since I was a kid!).

ETA: Do you think the revver-upper vitamins primer could have made this even worse? My cheek bones almost have a purple tinge to them, I'm so burnt...

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

janeybwild
06-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Ouch, this sounds very painful. Any chance you could call the company and tell them off? This doesn't sound right to me. I could see getting some color, but not burnt after what, 4 hours? Ouch ouch ouch :( Did you at least win the game :) ?

janeybwild
Ouch, this sounds very painful. Any chance you could call the company and tell them off? This doesn't sound right to me. I could see getting some color, but not burnt after what, 4 hours? Ouch ouch ouch :( Did you at least win the game :) ?

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

pampamz
06-12-2006, 01:45 PM
I just sent them an email, slightly snarky but mostly factual, saying if the SPF value isn't actually to be relied on then they should advise that secondary protection is recommended...

Oh -- we won one game and lost the other! Our team actually really sucks but it is rec so who cares...

pampamz
I just sent them an email, slightly snarky but mostly factual, saying if the SPF value isn't actually to be relied on then they should advise that secondary protection is recommended...

Oh -- we won one game and lost the other! Our team actually really sucks but it is rec so who cares...

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

kozachka
06-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Sorry to hear you got burned so bad, it's no fun. Not that it's any consolation to you at this point but I do remember reading quite awhile ago in some magazine or one of those inserts that come with higher end cosmetics (yeah, I read those) that SPF in make-up is not a substitude for sunscreen so not to be relied upon. And even with regular make-up you have to reapply it if sweating/getting in an out of the water. I did not want to post this earlier before you added BE response since it's not going to make you feel better but just want to be fair to the company. Still they could have been more compassionate, labels like this make you feel like you are protected while you really are not.

ETA: missing word

kozachka
Sorry to hear you got burned so bad, it's no fun. Not that it's any consolation to you at this point but I do remember reading quite awhile ago in some magazine or one of those inserts that come with higher end cosmetics (yeah, I read those) that SPF in make-up is not a substitude for sunscreen so not to be relied upon. And even with regular make-up you have to reapply it if sweating/getting in an out of the water. I did not want to post this earlier before you added BE response since it's not going to make you feel better but just want to be fair to the company. Still they could have been more compassionate, labels like this make you feel like you are protected while you really are not.

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

jerseygirl07067
06-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Their advertising claim of the SPF has always bothered me. There's no way you can get an SPF 15 from a powder/mineral foundation unless you literally spackle it on.

Even regular sunscreens need to be applied VERY generously to get the protection on the label. For example, your face generally requires about 1/3-1/4 teaspoon for adequate protection. Most people don't use even close to that amount. For the heck of it, measure it out, then apply it on your face. It is A LOT more than you think!

Sorry you had that experience, and hopefully your burn heals up well.
And shame on Bare Minerals...I think their advertising is deceptive regarding SPF.

Marcy

jerseygirl07067
Their advertising claim of the SPF has always bothered me. There's no way you can get an SPF 15 from a powder/mineral foundation unless you literally spackle it on.

Even regular sunscreens need to be applied VERY generously to get the protection on the label. For example, your face generally requires about 1/3-1/4 teaspoon for adequate protection. Most people don't use even close to that amount. For the heck of it, measure it out, then apply it on your face. It is A LOT more than you think!

And shame on Bare Minerals...I think their advertising is deceptive regarding SPF.

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

pampamz
06-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the notes -- yeah, it is my skin and my responsibility to protect it and educate myself etc. etc.., I know.
I was just completely stunned when I had such a burn. ITA that I would likely have to put half the jar on for 15 SPF protection!
Oh well, lesson learned.

pampamz
Thanks for the notes -- yeah, it is my skin and my responsibility to protect it and educate myself etc. etc.., I know.
I was just completely stunned when I had such a burn. ITA that I would likely have to put half the jar on for 15 SPF protection!
Oh well, lesson learned.

pampamz
Oh well, lesson learned.

pampamz
Oh well, lesson learned.

pampamz
Oh well, lesson learned.

pampamz
Oh well, lesson learned.

pampamz
Oh well, lesson learned.

pampamz
Oh well, lesson learned.

pampamz
Oh well, lesson learned.