PDA

View Full Version : Stressing Out with Impending MIL's visit (long)

tina-t
06-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I guess that I am one of the luckier ones in a way, that my in laws live out of the country and only come and visit usually once a year. However, the longer I get to know my mil, the irritated I get. She has boundary issues, or rather lack of boundary. When she comes over, she tends to take over. Dh usually calls her "the queen" in a joking way, but I can see now where that came from.

She tends to take over the kitchen which I don't mind because she is a good cook and I don't have to worry about cooking when they are around. Until 2 1/2 yrs. ago, when I had fresh breastmilk in the ref. that she threw out because she thought these were old. I pumped at 1 am the night before bec. I felt engorged and left these in the ref. She could have asked first before throwing these out. When we found out, all she could say was that she thought it was old and spoiled, and then went to her room to cry (boo hoo!!!!). She never apologized AT ALL for that episode.

She tends to order dh around to take them out since she and my fil do not want to drive here. They said that they were not comfortable.

Then there is the incident when she became sick and was hospitalized in So. Cal. when I was 3 weeks post partum. I had a very bad delivery and was readmitted in the hospital for a bad infection when I was about 6-7 days postpartum. Dh, ds (who was only 3 weeks old and was just discharged from the hospital 2 weeks before we traveled) and I boarded a plane to visit her. She never inquired about how I was doing and never thanked me for going through the whole travel thing when I was not feeling up to par yet. It was all about her, her, her!!!

I just do not feel comfortable with her around anymore. Just the sound of her voice when she leaves a message on our voice mail, makes my skin crawl. There are numerous other small things that I will not list down anymore. I am also very pg and due to deliver anytime within the next few weeks! I don't like her around here. I told dh about this but he feels like he is stuck in the middle. He is asking me to be patient and hang in there because he rarely sees his mom anyway.

The stress of having her around plus the impending labor/birth and a newborn is driving me nuts! I am not sleeping well at night anymore. Aaaarghhh!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading this! I just really needed to vent.

tina-t
I guess that I am one of the luckier ones in a way, that my in laws live out of the country and only come and visit usually once a year. However, the longer I get to know my mil, the irritated I get. She has boundary issues, or rather lack of boundary. When she comes over, she tends to take over. Dh usually calls her "the queen" in a joking way, but I can see now where that came from.

She tends to take over the kitchen which I don't mind because she is a good cook and I don't have to worry about cooking when they are around. Until 2 1/2 yrs. ago, when I had fresh breastmilk in the ref. that she threw out because she thought these were old. I pumped at 1 am the night before bec. I felt engorged and left these in the ref. She could have asked first before throwing these out. When we found out, all she could say was that she thought it was old and spoiled, and then went to her room to cry (boo hoo!!!!). She never apologized AT ALL for that episode.

She tends to order dh around to take them out since she and my fil do not want to drive here. They said that they were not comfortable.

Then there is the incident when she became sick and was hospitalized in So. Cal. when I was 3 weeks post partum. I had a very bad delivery and was readmitted in the hospital for a bad infection when I was about 6-7 days postpartum. Dh, ds (who was only 3 weeks old and was just discharged from the hospital 2 weeks before we traveled) and I boarded a plane to visit her. She never inquired about how I was doing and never thanked me for going through the whole travel thing when I was not feeling up to par yet. It was all about her, her, her!!!

I just do not feel comfortable with her around anymore. Just the sound of her voice when she leaves a message on our voice mail, makes my skin crawl. There are numerous other small things that I will not list down anymore. I am also very pg and due to deliver anytime within the next few weeks! I don't like her around here. I told dh about this but he feels like he is stuck in the middle. He is asking me to be patient and hang in there because he rarely sees his mom anyway.

The stress of having her around plus the impending labor/birth and a newborn is driving me nuts! I am not sleeping well at night anymore. Aaaarghhh!!!!!!!

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

californiagirl
06-13-2006, 02:52 PM
She sounds awful. And your DH needs to suck it up -- he's not supposed to be in the middle. He's supposed to be on your side. You're his wife and the mother of his children. He chose you.

The only really great thing about my in-laws is that DH is much, much more opposed to them than I am. I'm already dreading their visit, but at least I know DH will stick up for us. Once I said "I was mean to your mother" and he said tranquilly "That's nice. More people ought to be mean to my mother." His sister said "Well, he ought not to be mean to her quite as often as he is, but he is right in general -- I wouldn't be worried about being mean to her occasionally. It's impossible to avoid, anyway." So I may have to put up with her pouting because I answered the question "Do you drink coffee often?" wrong, but at least nobody will blame me for it.

californiagirl
She sounds awful. And your DH needs to suck it up -- he's not supposed to be in the middle. He's supposed to be on your side. You're his wife and the mother of his children. He chose you.

The only really great thing about my in-laws is that DH is much, much more opposed to them than I am. I'm already dreading their visit, but at least I know DH will stick up for us. Once I said "I was mean to your mother" and he said tranquilly "That's nice. More people ought to be mean to my mother." His sister said "Well, he ought not to be mean to her quite as often as he is, but he is right in general -- I wouldn't be worried about being mean to her occasionally. It's impossible to avoid, anyway." So I may have to put up with her pouting because I answered the question "Do you drink coffee often?" wrong, but at least nobody will blame me for it.

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

californiagirl

ellies mom
06-13-2006, 03:06 PM
I build up a lot of pre-MIL-visit stress too. And then it takes me ages to recover. It is probably my biggest neurosis. Fortunately she never comes to visit and money has been tight so we haven't visited her for over 18 months either.

Vent away, sweatheart. That is why we are here.

ellies mom
I build up a lot of pre-MIL-visit stress too. And then it takes me ages to recover. It is probably my biggest neurosis. Fortunately she never comes to visit and money has been tight so we haven't visited her for over 18 months either.

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

Nicsmom
06-13-2006, 03:28 PM
I sooooo hear you. My MIL comes to visit us every year, and although we pay for everything when she comes (including the air ticket from South America) she whines all the time. She complains about us not inviting her for longer periods of time (can you believe it?) or she complains because she does not want to travel the specific date we can get a ticket with miles. To this day she whines because my FIL stayed at our house three years ago (they don't get along) and she considers this to be a betrayal on our part. Worst of all, my DH takes her side often, saying that that's how she is and, since we cannot change her, we have to deal with it.

Anyway, I didn't want to hijack your post, but I know how you feel. I just wanted to tell you that I have found that I suffer more anticipating her visit that when she actually comes. Her stays are not as unbearable as the thought of them. In no time, her visit is going to be over, believe me and you will feel it wasn't that bad.

Good luck.

Nicsmom
I sooooo hear you. My MIL comes to visit us every year, and although we pay for everything when she comes (including the air ticket from South America) she whines all the time. She complains about us not inviting her for longer periods of time (can you believe it?) or she complains because she does not want to travel the specific date we can get a ticket with miles. To this day she whines because my FIL stayed at our house three years ago (they don't get along) and she considers this to be a betrayal on our part. Worst of all, my DH takes her side often, saying that that's how she is and, since we cannot change her, we have to deal with it.

Anyway, I didn't want to hijack your post, but I know how you feel. I just wanted to tell you that I have found that I suffer more anticipating her visit that when she actually comes. Her stays are not as unbearable as the thought of them. In no time, her visit is going to be over, believe me and you will feel it wasn't that bad.

Good luck.

Nicsmom

Good luck.

Nicsmom

Good luck.

Nicsmom

Good luck.

Nicsmom

Good luck.

Nicsmom

Good luck.

Nicsmom

Good luck.

Nicsmom

Good luck.

mommy_someday
06-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Jeez, what a drama queen! She seriously CRIED when she found out she threw away perfectly good BM?!? I could understand if *you* had been crying since you took the pains to pump it AND since it was *your* refrigerator. But your MIL had no reason to be crying. And she certainly owed you an apology.

I would have serious issues with her disrespect for your boundaries. Her me-me-me attitude would bother me, too, but I know that some people are just like that and there's nothing you can really do to change them (fwiw, my little brother is like that). I agree with the PP that your DH should be on your side. He (or both of you) needs to establish some ground rules when they visit and explain that if they can't respect you in your own home, that they may not be welcome in the future.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this while awaiting your new little one. Family stuff sure can suck sometimes. (((hugs))) to you!

mommy_someday
Jeez, what a drama queen! She seriously CRIED when she found out she threw away perfectly good BM?!? I could understand if *you* had been crying since you took the pains to pump it AND since it was *your* refrigerator. But your MIL had no reason to be crying. And she certainly owed you an apology.

I would have serious issues with her disrespect for your boundaries. Her me-me-me attitude would bother me, too, but I know that some people are just like that and there's nothing you can really do to change them (fwiw, my little brother is like that). I agree with the PP that your DH should be on your side. He (or both of you) needs to establish some ground rules when they visit and explain that if they can't respect you in your own home, that they may not be welcome in the future.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this while awaiting your new little one. Family stuff sure can suck sometimes. (((hugs))) to you!

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

amp
06-13-2006, 04:51 PM
My sympathies! I know how much I dread my MIL visits and I can only imagine you have that same feeling in the pit of your stomach! A woman about to give birth should be focused on herself and the impending joy of the baby's arrival, not on the dread she feels about her MIL's arrival. Hugs to you!

amp
My sympathies! I know how much I dread my MIL visits and I can only imagine you have that same feeling in the pit of your stomach! A woman about to give birth should be focused on herself and the impending joy of the baby's arrival, not on the dread she feels about her MIL's arrival. Hugs to you!

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

tina-t
06-13-2006, 07:19 PM
> Once I said "I was mean to your mother" and he said
>tranquilly "That's nice. More people ought to be mean to my
>mother."

That's nice of your dh to say that, lol. I wish my dh would take that position sometimes.

tina-t
>mother."

That's nice of your dh to say that, lol. I wish my dh would take that position sometimes.

tina-t
>mother."

tina-t
>mother."

tina-t
>mother."

tina-t
>mother."

tina-t
>mother."

tina-t
>mother."

tina-t
>mother."

tina-t
06-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Lucky you! 18 months of bliss without MIL induced stress!

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t
06-13-2006, 07:22 PM
I sure hope that her visit will be fast and uneventful! But knowing how she is, there probably might be one or two incidents that might come up.

tina-t
I sure hope that her visit will be fast and uneventful! But knowing how she is, there probably might be one or two incidents that might come up.

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t
06-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Yup! Drama queen sounds about right.

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t
06-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks Andrea. I wish I could really focus on myself and the impending birth, but my mil's arrival is really putting a damper on things.

tina-t
Thanks Andrea. I wish I could really focus on myself and the impending birth, but my mil's arrival is really putting a damper on things.

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

niccig
06-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Ok, my mum isn't drama queen crying over split milk, even if it is BM, but she does take over. So I can sympathize. My trick is give her control over some things. She came when DS was born and I sat down with her and talked about what she could do. She's a great cook, so I asked her to take care of that, we talked about what we would eat but together we went grocery shopping - she too won't drive in the US, which I'm fine with as it's very different to their home. I also asked her to take care of the regular cleaning - vaccum, laundry, wipe down kitchen. She also threw herself into decorating DS's room - a little annoying, but hey I can't get up on that ladder. So I would work out what I wanted and explained how I wanted it. As for them wanting to go out, can you think about this in advance. Eg. she's driving you nuts, so how about suggesting an outing that DH can take them on...yes annoying that he isn't at home but it means she's out of your hair for a bit.

Don't know if this helps, but I'm just thinking of ways you can pre-empt her so she isn't in control.

My MIL is the opposite - I wish she would do things to help, I'm so used to my mum pitching in and taking the initiative, I find MIL's lack of motivation annoying. I don't get any extra help when she's here, just more work. Eg. DS is 2 weeks old, I'm in the middle of breastfeeding, DH asks if I want to cook my mum's yummy pasta or should his mother open a jar of pasta sauce. Compare this to my mum who stood in front of me holding a sandwich so I could take bites from it while I was breastfeeding as I was starving!

Hang in there, she won't be here for too long.

Nicci

niccig
Ok, my mum isn't drama queen crying over split milk, even if it is BM, but she does take over. So I can sympathize. My trick is give her control over some things. She came when DS was born and I sat down with her and talked about what she could do. She's a great cook, so I asked her to take care of that, we talked about what we would eat but together we went grocery shopping - she too won't drive in the US, which I'm fine with as it's very different to their home. I also asked her to take care of the regular cleaning - vaccum, laundry, wipe down kitchen. She also threw herself into decorating DS's room - a little annoying, but hey I can't get up on that ladder. So I would work out what I wanted and explained how I wanted it. As for them wanting to go out, can you think about this in advance. Eg. she's driving you nuts, so how about suggesting an outing that DH can take them on...yes annoying that he isn't at home but it means she's out of your hair for a bit.

Don't know if this helps, but I'm just thinking of ways you can pre-empt her so she isn't in control.

My MIL is the opposite - I wish she would do things to help, I'm so used to my mum pitching in and taking the initiative, I find MIL's lack of motivation annoying. I don't get any extra help when she's here, just more work. Eg. DS is 2 weeks old, I'm in the middle of breastfeeding, DH asks if I want to cook my mum's yummy pasta or should his mother open a jar of pasta sauce. Compare this to my mum who stood in front of me holding a sandwich so I could take bites from it while I was breastfeeding as I was starving!

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

niccig

Nicci

lcl
06-14-2006, 02:01 PM
i feel very strongly about this topic as my mil is similar and she lives locally . she is very narcissistic. i've dealt with this for ten years and decided now i have to be really proactive about it.

theres a book called boundaries (cloud and townsend are the authors) that might be helpful. not sure if you have time to read it but you can get the gist from reading the amazon review.

i agree with a previous poster that your husband needs to stick up for you and not be in the middle. perhaps to relieve some of that anticipation stress, talk to your husband to come up with a solution to make her visit less stressful . it he does not seem to want to be proactive, you should try to be proactive (set boundaries) and come up with a gameplan(ie like what others mentioned delagate the cooking to her, etc).

lcl
i feel very strongly about this topic as my mil is similar and she lives locally . she is very narcissistic. i've dealt with this for ten years and decided now i have to be really proactive about it.

theres a book called boundaries (cloud and townsend are the authors) that might be helpful. not sure if you have time to read it but you can get the gist from reading the amazon review.

i agree with a previous poster that your husband needs to stick up for you and not be in the middle. perhaps to relieve some of that anticipation stress, talk to your husband to come up with a solution to make her visit less stressful . it he does not seem to want to be proactive, you should try to be proactive (set boundaries) and come up with a gameplan(ie like what others mentioned delagate the cooking to her, etc).

lcl

lcl

lcl

lcl

lcl

lcl

lcl

tina-t
06-22-2006, 12:56 AM
We just got a phone call that *they* will be here this friday. What happened to giving us a little bit more notice!!!!

Anyway,...have...got ...to....stop...hyperventilating!!!! Arrrghhh!!!!

tina-t
We just got a phone call that *they* will be here this friday. What happened to giving us a little bit more notice!!!!

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

ellies mom
06-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Don't you hate that? My IL's do the same thing. For our wedding, my SIL called on Tuesday to tell us she'd be there on Thursday and was staying a week. Thankfully we had already postponed our honeymoon for other reasons. The next year, my MIL calls to say she'll be coming up on a Tuesday, then calls to say she be up on Saturday, and then on Thursday she calls and says she is at a hotel an hour and half away and will be at our house in the morning. She stayed for 10 days. A few months later, we get this sparse e-mail from SIL saying they are driving to Cananda and will probably stop by. Then four days later we get a call letting us know they've gotten a room the next town over.

Anyhow, I know it is hard but try to relax. Go find something fun to do, to take your mind off things. It sucks to have that gnawing ball in your stomache, so just try and distract yourself in the meantime.

ellies mom
Don't you hate that? My IL's do the same thing. For our wedding, my SIL called on Tuesday to tell us she'd be there on Thursday and was staying a week. Thankfully we had already postponed our honeymoon for other reasons. The next year, my MIL calls to say she'll be coming up on a Tuesday, then calls to say she be up on Saturday, and then on Thursday she calls and says she is at a hotel an hour and half away and will be at our house in the morning. She stayed for 10 days. A few months later, we get this sparse e-mail from SIL saying they are driving to Cananda and will probably stop by. Then four days later we get a call letting us know they've gotten a room the next town over.

Anyhow, I know it is hard but try to relax. Go find something fun to do, to take your mind off things. It sucks to have that gnawing ball in your stomache, so just try and distract yourself in the meantime.

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

ellies mom

tina-t
06-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Geez Veronica, your IL's and mine seem to think alike. Maybe we can get them together. They might enjoy each other's company (or not), hahaha!

Thanks for the support.

tina-t
Geez Veronica, your IL's and mine seem to think alike. Maybe we can get them together. They might enjoy each other's company (or not), hahaha!

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

tina-t

Thanks for the support.

TraciG
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Good luck, how long is she visiting for ????????? You are lucky that you rarely see her, just think I see my in-laws AT LEAST once a week !

TraciG
Good luck, how long is she visiting for ????????? You are lucky that you rarely see her, just think I see my in-laws AT LEAST once a week !

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

TraciG

tina-t
06-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Traci, she will be here for 2 weeks and will be probably be back to see our baby in late July or early August for another 2 weeks. But she has not confirmed that yet. I really never know their definite plans anyway. She just changes and makes up her mind whenever it is convenient for her.

BTW, she will be arriving this afternoon!!!!

tina-t
Traci, she will be here for 2 weeks and will be probably be back to see our baby in late July or early August for another 2 weeks. But she has not confirmed that yet. I really never know their definite plans anyway. She just changes and makes up her mind whenever it is convenient for her.

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

glamourgirlpink
06-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Hope it works out okay!

glamourgirlpink
Hope it works out okay!

glamourgirlpink
Hope it works out okay!

glamourgirlpink
Hope it works out okay!