PDA

View Full Version : Any lung experts out there?

carryingandstrollingabout
06-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Okay, I know you aren't doctors but, I've been going to my primary and a pumonolgist for years and they can't help me so now I'm going out to the internet for help.

My lungs are in a state of inflamation all the time. It started a decade ago after a nasty case of pneumonia. Now, every three days or so, I have a sort of asthma attack. Not necessarily wheezing, though that happens if it gets damp out and the temperature drops but...

...dry cough
or
...horribly congested cough that I can't clear
or
(sorry) foamy cough where my lungs keep filling up with fluid as fast as I can cough it out...

and burning and irritation in my lungs about half the time.
and
hoarseness.

So primary care doctor thinks it is reactive airways and prescribes abulterol, advair, pulmicort, and occasional steroids and antibiotics. Pulmonologist thinks it is reactive airways from having constant colds from the kids and prescribes the same things.

None of this cures me. Onlythe abulterol seems to help at all, and even so, I still wheeze or cough or have burning lungs even with it.

It is hard to read a whole picture book to my kids. I keep getting hoarse or loosing my voice entirely. My lungs hurt. I cough all the time. I struggle for breath from all the phlem. No one can help me.

Any insights?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I know you aren't doctors but, I've been going to my primary and a pumonolgist for years and they can't help me so now I'm going out to the internet for help.

My lungs are in a state of inflamation all the time. It started a decade ago after a nasty case of pneumonia. Now, every three days or so, I have a sort of asthma attack. Not necessarily wheezing, though that happens if it gets damp out and the temperature drops but...

...dry cough
or
or
(sorry) foamy cough where my lungs keep filling up with fluid as fast as I can cough it out...

and
hoarseness.

So primary care doctor thinks it is reactive airways and prescribes abulterol, advair, pulmicort, and occasional steroids and antibiotics. Pulmonologist thinks it is reactive airways from having constant colds from the kids and prescribes the same things.

None of this cures me. Onlythe abulterol seems to help at all, and even so, I still wheeze or cough or have burning lungs even with it.

It is hard to read a whole picture book to my kids. I keep getting hoarse or loosing my voice entirely. My lungs hurt. I cough all the time. I struggle for breath from all the phlem. No one can help me.

Any insights?

...dry cough
or
or

and
hoarseness.

Any insights?

...dry cough
or
or

and
hoarseness.

Any insights?

...dry cough
or
or

and
hoarseness.

Any insights?

...dry cough
or
or

and
hoarseness.

Any insights?

...dry cough
or
or

and
hoarseness.

Any insights?

...dry cough
or
or

and
hoarseness.

Any insights?

...dry cough
or
or

and
hoarseness.

Any insights?

mommd
06-13-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm not a doctor, just a medical student, so I probably can't really help, but here are some questions...

I'm assuming you've had a chest xray and pulmonary function tests? Ever have a bronchoscopy? Do you have acid reflux? Does the cough get worse after you eat?

I know it must be frustrating not to get diagnosed! Sorry this is happening to you...

mommd
I'm not a doctor, just a medical student, so I probably can't really help, but here are some questions...

I'm assuming you've had a chest xray and pulmonary function tests? Ever have a bronchoscopy? Do you have acid reflux? Does the cough get worse after you eat?

I know it must be frustrating not to get diagnosed! Sorry this is happening to you...

mommd

mommd

mommd

mommd

mommd

mommd

mommd

tiapam
06-13-2006, 08:15 PM
I think I would change doctors. You might also want to look into alternative medicine. Sorry I don't have any more specific ideas.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam
I think I would change doctors. You might also want to look into alternative medicine. Sorry I don't have any more specific ideas.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

mskitty
06-13-2006, 10:40 PM
I hope you find something that works for you. Luckily my asthma is pretty much under control. With me, its my ears that are messed up and easily imflamed. I'm sick of their standard answer being another set of tubes, another round of steriods, and some more antibiotics even though they are serious imflamed (not infected).

Couple of things to consider... reflux may be aggravating your asthma. I never had it till I had a massive round of steriods that messed my stomuch up. Check into a chiropracter. The guy I see is a chiropractic/kinesilogist/cranosacial type of guy. He has done wonders for keeping me feeling healthy. He also can make a migraine go away and help to keep my ears clear. You may also want to look into an allergy triggering your inflamation. I notice I do a lot better when I avoid certain foods and don't cheat on my allergy/reflux restriction list.

I second the recommendation on a new doc. It sounds like you are very close to having a serious attack that will hospitalize you and your doctor is not adequitely treating your conditions.

MsKitty

mskitty
I hope you find something that works for you. Luckily my asthma is pretty much under control. With me, its my ears that are messed up and easily imflamed. I'm sick of their standard answer being another set of tubes, another round of steriods, and some more antibiotics even though they are serious imflamed (not infected).

Couple of things to consider... reflux may be aggravating your asthma. I never had it till I had a massive round of steriods that messed my stomuch up. Check into a chiropracter. The guy I see is a chiropractic/kinesilogist/cranosacial type of guy. He has done wonders for keeping me feeling healthy. He also can make a migraine go away and help to keep my ears clear. You may also want to look into an allergy triggering your inflamation. I notice I do a lot better when I avoid certain foods and don't cheat on my allergy/reflux restriction list.

I second the recommendation on a new doc. It sounds like you are very close to having a serious attack that will hospitalize you and your doctor is not adequitely treating your conditions.

MsKitty

mskitty

MsKitty

mskitty

MsKitty

mskitty

MsKitty

mskitty

MsKitty

mskitty

MsKitty

mskitty

MsKitty

mskitty

MsKitty

jerseygirl07067
06-14-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this.

FWIW, I had a bout of bronchitis about 6 years ago and found that in the morning for almost a year after I always felt like I had junk in my lungs after breakfast. Turns out I started to notice a pattern related to what I was eating. For example dairy and nuts seemed to flare it up. So I cut back for a few months and the problem disappeared.

I would switch doctors and get a second opinion. Also, see if you have any unknown allergies that might be lingering, including what you're eating. I think the healing power of food is amazing, so maybe take a look at your diet and see if you can make some beneficial changes.

Good luck,
Marcy

jerseygirl07067

FWIW, I had a bout of bronchitis about 6 years ago and found that in the morning for almost a year after I always felt like I had junk in my lungs after breakfast. Turns out I started to notice a pattern related to what I was eating. For example dairy and nuts seemed to flare it up. So I cut back for a few months and the problem disappeared.

I would switch doctors and get a second opinion. Also, see if you have any unknown allergies that might be lingering, including what you're eating. I think the healing power of food is amazing, so maybe take a look at your diet and see if you can make some beneficial changes.

Good luck,
Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Good luck,
Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Good luck,
Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Good luck,
Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Good luck,
Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Good luck,
Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Good luck,
Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Good luck,
Marcy

Saccade
06-14-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm a neurologist, not a pulmonologist, but I wanted to encourage you to go for a second opinion! Don't worry about offending anyone -- a good specialist won't mind, and if your specialist minds, then it's a red flag anyhow, IMHO. I think the PPs are on to something with the reflux; also the idea of allergies (not food allergies, but environmental allergy to dust, molds, pollens, dander, etc.).

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/squsqutdg20050713_-8_DS+is.png

[FONT COLOR="#006600"]Come get wild and wooly with us!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters/index.php?act=idx[FONT]

Saccade
I'm a neurologist, not a pulmonologist, but I wanted to encourage you to go for a second opinion! Don't worry about offending anyone -- a good specialist won't mind, and if your specialist minds, then it's a red flag anyhow, IMHO. I think the PPs are on to something with the reflux; also the idea of allergies (not food allergies, but environmental allergy to dust, molds, pollens, dander, etc.).

Saccade

Saccade

Saccade

Saccade

Saccade

Saccade

Saccade

C99
06-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Renee -- hey congratulations!!!

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

C99

mommd
06-16-2006, 06:26 AM
Thank you! :)

mommd

mommd

mommd

mommd

mommd

mommd

mommd

mommd

mapg
06-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Do you take any allergy meds or shots? Also, do you live in an area that has lots of man-made junk in the air-- car exhaust, fertilizers, etc... I live in part of the country that has really poor air quality in the summer, but people around here call it haze (I guess they think smog is only a problem in California). Add a bunch of lawn services to the mix and the air actually hurts sometimes. My daughter always has an asthma flair-up when the lawn services spray all their junk. Good luck. Look into another doctor.
MA

mapg
Do you take any allergy meds or shots? Also, do you live in an area that has lots of man-made junk in the air-- car exhaust, fertilizers, etc... I live in part of the country that has really poor air quality in the summer, but people around here call it haze (I guess they think smog is only a problem in California). Add a bunch of lawn services to the mix and the air actually hurts sometimes. My daughter always has an asthma flair-up when the lawn services spray all their junk. Good luck. Look into another doctor.
MA

mapg
MA

mapg
MA

mapg
MA

mapg
MA

mapg
MA

mapg
MA

mapg
MA