PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Very upset at restaurant!

infocrazy
06-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Tonight at a restaurant, the waitress put a "sizzling" plate in front of DS, 10 months. Of course he immediately touched and now has blisters, so a first degree burn. He seems okay, there happened to be a nurse at the table next to us and she said it was fine. As did our neighbor who is also a nurse, ... and the doctor when I called...

In any case, the restaurant gave us this their card and took our number. So, my question is, it's not like we'll sue them or charge them for medical bills since we didn't take him to the hospital and he will be okay. We do have insurance so even if I take him to the doctor tomorrow, it will be covered.

I am really angry though that this happened and think they should do SOMETHING? But what? Any ideas? We don't plan on going back there again so free meals isn't an option.

Thanks if you've made it this far!

infocrazy
Tonight at a restaurant, the waitress put a "sizzling" plate in front of DS, 10 months. Of course he immediately touched and now has blisters, so a first degree burn. He seems okay, there happened to be a nurse at the table next to us and she said it was fine. As did our neighbor who is also a nurse, ... and the doctor when I called...

In any case, the restaurant gave us this their card and took our number. So, my question is, it's not like we'll sue them or charge them for medical bills since we didn't take him to the hospital and he will be okay. We do have insurance so even if I take him to the doctor tomorrow, it will be covered.

I am really angry though that this happened and think they should do SOMETHING? But what? Any ideas? We don't plan on going back there again so free meals isn't an option.

infocrazy

infocrazy

infocrazy

infocrazy

infocrazy

infocrazy

infocrazy

DebbieJ
06-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Oh my! Did they at least comp your meal?

I'm surprised they didn't send you off with gift cards coming out your rear.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

emilys_mom
Did they at least pay for your bill tonight? I think that was the least they can do.

Also, not sure if you talked to the manager. My guess is the waitress feels horrible for doing such a stupid thing. If you didn't talk to the manager, you should, just to say that they should train their waiters better on safety.

Not sure what they could do to help the situation other than that.

emilys_mom
Did they at least pay for your bill tonight? I think that was the least they can do.

Also, not sure if you talked to the manager. My guess is the waitress feels horrible for doing such a stupid thing. If you didn't talk to the manager, you should, just to say that they should train their waiters better on safety.

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

emilys_mom

JElaineB
06-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Poor baby! I have burned my hands a couple of times and have always been told blistering is a a sign of a second-degree burn. I guess if your doctor doesn't want you to bring him in there isn't much else to do though!

I have definitely learned over time that waitstaff often have no clue that hot plates, knives, etc. should not be place in front of a little kiddo. I am alway super vigilant and anticipate their placing hot plate in front of DS and get ready to move it, or tell them to place it elsewhere, etc. (not trying to blame you - hope it doesn't sound like that - it has just been my experience).

If you want to pursue something - I think you should probably call the mananger and/or write to corporate headquarters (depending on what type of restaurant it is) and let them know their wait staff need training etc. on how to be safe with hot plates around children. Who knows if they will do anything about it though. I hope you at least got a free meal there tonight and I hope your son is feeling ok now.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB
Poor baby! I have burned my hands a couple of times and have always been told blistering is a a sign of a second-degree burn. I guess if your doctor doesn't want you to bring him in there isn't much else to do though!

I have definitely learned over time that waitstaff often have no clue that hot plates, knives, etc. should not be place in front of a little kiddo. I am alway super vigilant and anticipate their placing hot plate in front of DS and get ready to move it, or tell them to place it elsewhere, etc. (not trying to blame you - hope it doesn't sound like that - it has just been my experience).

If you want to pursue something - I think you should probably call the mananger and/or write to corporate headquarters (depending on what type of restaurant it is) and let them know their wait staff need training etc. on how to be safe with hot plates around children. Who knows if they will do anything about it though. I hope you at least got a free meal there tonight and I hope your son is feeling ok now.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Lovingliv
06-14-2006, 09:41 PM
OUCH! Poor baby. Poor Mama!
I would be writing a letter to the manager of the place and to corporate....I would then follow up with a call. I would think you would be eating at that restaurant for free till DS graduates highschool. So sorry this happened to your precious babe!

Lovingliv
I would be writing a letter to the manager of the place and to corporate....I would then follow up with a call. I would think you would be eating at that restaurant for free till DS graduates highschool. So sorry this happened to your precious babe!

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

infocrazy
06-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Oh yeah, they comped the meals, we actually just got up and left, never did eat anything come to think of it. DS was SCREAMING and I was crying trying to calm him down. Actually, kind of a funny story, is this older gentleman kept trying to get me to come over to him and I think he was going to give DS some money to make him feel better!

Even though I am really annoyed at the waitress, she was probably about 18 if that and DH thinks she was pretty upset...I really don't remember. What gets me though is that she made a big deal out of moving our drinks out of DS reach but then puts the sizzling metal dish in front of him!

Thanks for responding!

infocrazy
Oh yeah, they comped the meals, we actually just got up and left, never did eat anything come to think of it. DS was SCREAMING and I was crying trying to calm him down. Actually, kind of a funny story, is this older gentleman kept trying to get me to come over to him and I think he was going to give DS some money to make him feel better!

Even though I am really annoyed at the waitress, she was probably about 18 if that and DH thinks she was pretty upset...I really don't remember. What gets me though is that she made a big deal out of moving our drinks out of DS reach but then puts the sizzling metal dish in front of him!

Thanks for responding!

infocrazy

Thanks for responding!

infocrazy

Thanks for responding!

infocrazy

Thanks for responding!

infocrazy

Thanks for responding!

infocrazy

Thanks for responding!

infocrazy

Thanks for responding!

infocrazy

Thanks for responding!

Radosti
06-14-2006, 09:58 PM
OMG!!! I'd have beaten her with the hot plate. Well, no, I'd probably have walked out just like you did. However, I'd call the manager of that store tomorrow and express my anger at the situation. In the meantime, give him baby advil to reduce the inflammation that the burns have left. I'd also put Aloe gel on the burns to help them heal faster.

Radosti
OMG!!! I'd have beaten her with the hot plate. Well, no, I'd probably have walked out just like you did. However, I'd call the manager of that store tomorrow and express my anger at the situation. In the meantime, give him baby advil to reduce the inflammation that the burns have left. I'd also put Aloe gel on the burns to help them heal faster.

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

chiqanita
06-14-2006, 10:07 PM
OMG! I hope your little one is feeling better and you, too. I would be horrified and traumatized if that happened to us. I was going to suggest what the PPs suggested about training. Maybe you could go back with your DS and talk to them about safety around children....show them the blisters on DS's hand (photo?) A lot of it is common sense but when a server brings an arm full of plates I think all they're focused on is putting them down. When we go out, usually to Corner Bakery, I grab the plates from the server as she/he arrives at our table. I usually say, put it all in front of me because my twin toddlers will grab at it for sure.

On another note, my family (12) just sat down to eat at The Rainforest Cafe in So Cal back in '98. I sat next to my 1 year old niece's high chair. My niece was fussing so I took her out and sat her in front of me on the edge of the table so I could talk to her. Just then a server walked behind me and dropped her tray of drinks all over me and the high chair. I remember feeling a glass break on my head and being covered with a strawberry slushy type of drink. The high chair had a couple of glasses in it along with whatever was in them. They gave me a tshirt, bought me a new blouse, and paid for our meals that night. Since we had just sat down my family was able to eat well that night. Oh, and since I was holding my niece she actually didn't get anything on her.

A hug for both of you!

chiqanita
OMG! I hope your little one is feeling better and you, too. I would be horrified and traumatized if that happened to us. I was going to suggest what the PPs suggested about training. Maybe you could go back with your DS and talk to them about safety around children....show them the blisters on DS's hand (photo?) A lot of it is common sense but when a server brings an arm full of plates I think all they're focused on is putting them down. When we go out, usually to Corner Bakery, I grab the plates from the server as she/he arrives at our table. I usually say, put it all in front of me because my twin toddlers will grab at it for sure.

On another note, my family (12) just sat down to eat at The Rainforest Cafe in So Cal back in '98. I sat next to my 1 year old niece's high chair. My niece was fussing so I took her out and sat her in front of me on the edge of the table so I could talk to her. Just then a server walked behind me and dropped her tray of drinks all over me and the high chair. I remember feeling a glass break on my head and being covered with a strawberry slushy type of drink. The high chair had a couple of glasses in it along with whatever was in them. They gave me a tshirt, bought me a new blouse, and paid for our meals that night. Since we had just sat down my family was able to eat well that night. Oh, and since I was holding my niece she actually didn't get anything on her.

A hug for both of you!

chiqanita

A hug for both of you!

chiqanita

A hug for both of you!

chiqanita

A hug for both of you!

chiqanita

A hug for both of you!

chiqanita

A hug for both of you!

chiqanita

A hug for both of you!

chiqanita

A hug for both of you!

purpleeyes
06-14-2006, 11:03 PM
If it's still possible at this point, I would request an incident report be written up so that you can have documentation if you decide to pursue it.

We had an experience at a restaurant-falling on a wet floor where there was no signs, etc. Inujuries, doctors visits, etc. followed. Since we got a incident report, it was easy to deal with their insurance people and we got a decent 'settlement' (we didn't pursue legal action, I just can't think of the right word.)

HTH, but most of all, hope DS is feeling better- it must have been so scary!

Beth

purpleeyes
If it's still possible at this point, I would request an incident report be written up so that you can have documentation if you decide to pursue it.

We had an experience at a restaurant-falling on a wet floor where there was no signs, etc. Inujuries, doctors visits, etc. followed. Since we got a incident report, it was easy to deal with their insurance people and we got a decent 'settlement' (we didn't pursue legal action, I just can't think of the right word.)

Beth

purpleeyes

Beth

purpleeyes

Beth

purpleeyes

Beth

purpleeyes

Beth

purpleeyes

Beth

purpleeyes

Beth

purpleeyes

Beth

american_mama
06-15-2006, 12:06 AM
No wonder you were upset. I hope your son is OK.

Your story made me remember another story on BBB a long time ago about the hidden dangers of restaurants and busy/unthinking wait staff.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=103353&mesg_id=103353&page=&topic_page=3

american_mama

Your story made me remember another story on BBB a long time ago about the hidden dangers of restaurants and busy/unthinking wait staff.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=103353&mesg_id=103353&page=&topic_page=3

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

pampamz
06-15-2006, 07:43 AM
I would take a couple pics and send a *heated* letter to corporate office and give them a synopsis of the events.

They should send you an apology letter (at the very least)...!

pampamz
I would take a couple pics and send a *heated* letter to corporate office and give them a synopsis of the events.

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

pampamz

usfrph
06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Everyone's given you good advice already about writing corporate etc. Just wanted to give you (((HUGS))). I would have been crying too.

usfrph
Everyone's given you good advice already about writing corporate etc. Just wanted to give you (((HUGS))). I would have been crying too.

usfrph

usfrph

usfrph

usfrph

usfrph

usfrph

usfrph

HGraceMom
06-15-2006, 03:44 PM
If they do offer gift certificates & you don't plan to use them you can always donate them to one of the gazillions of charity auctions we seem to be invited to attend... most private schools, music organizations, any political "issue" you can think of would love the donation, while you get a tax benefit & can support a cause you believe in, and the restaurant has to pay something for their neglegence... just a thought...

Hope the blisters are healing quickly!

HGraceMom
If they do offer gift certificates & you don't plan to use them you can always donate them to one of the gazillions of charity auctions we seem to be invited to attend... most private schools, music organizations, any political "issue" you can think of would love the donation, while you get a tax benefit & can support a cause you believe in, and the restaurant has to pay something for their neglegence... just a thought...

HGraceMom

HGraceMom

HGraceMom

HGraceMom

HGraceMom

HGraceMom

HGraceMom

squimp
06-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Oh yes, I remember Mariana's story.

I hope that waitress learned her lesson, and the manager will be instructing people on this in the future!

squimp

I hope that waitress learned her lesson, and the manager will be instructing people on this in the future!

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp