PDA

View Full Version : Expired food at the supermarket

Radosti
06-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Bah!!!! Two days ago, I did my shopping at Acme Supermarket. Got 3 Silk Soy yogurts for Aaron since they didn't have O'Soy. Aaron LOVES soy yogurt mixed with Barley cereal and heated up for 30 seconds. So, today, I went to make his breakfast and pulled out the Silk yogurt. I was reading the package because I'd never bought the Silk yogurt before. What do I see? The yogurt expired on June 12. Today is the 16th. I bought it on the 14th. I opened the fridge and all the yogurts are expired. If it was me, I'd have just tasted it and eaten it if it tasted fine. But Aaron is 6 months old, I don't play those games. How hard is it to make sure that someone rotates the dairy supplies? Silk is Soy, but it's with all the other yogurts.

Radosti
Bah!!!! Two days ago, I did my shopping at Acme Supermarket. Got 3 Silk Soy yogurts for Aaron since they didn't have O'Soy. Aaron LOVES soy yogurt mixed with Barley cereal and heated up for 30 seconds. So, today, I went to make his breakfast and pulled out the Silk yogurt. I was reading the package because I'd never bought the Silk yogurt before. What do I see? The yogurt expired on June 12. Today is the 16th. I bought it on the 14th. I opened the fridge and all the yogurts are expired. If it was me, I'd have just tasted it and eaten it if it tasted fine. But Aaron is 6 months old, I don't play those games. How hard is it to make sure that someone rotates the dairy supplies? Silk is Soy, but it's with all the other yogurts.

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

o_mom
06-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Take it back!

Seriously, any major supermarket would take it back in a heartbeat. Just take your receipt in and show them you bought them after the exp. date and they should exchange them.

o_mom
Take it back!

Seriously, any major supermarket would take it back in a heartbeat. Just take your receipt in and show them you bought them after the exp. date and they should exchange them.

o_mom
Take it back!

o_mom
Take it back!

o_mom
Take it back!

o_mom
Take it back!

o_mom
Take it back!

o_mom
Take it back!

o_mom
Take it back!

Pennylane
06-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I agree with the PP , I would take it back to the store and ask to speak to the manager. This happened with me three seperate times .The first two I just tossed the items but the third (yogurt) I took back and spoke with the manager. He apologized and also gave me a 25.00 gift certificate. If nothing else maybe it will make them more aware of the problem.

Ann

Pennylane
I agree with the PP , I would take it back to the store and ask to speak to the manager. This happened with me three seperate times .The first two I just tossed the items but the third (yogurt) I took back and spoke with the manager. He apologized and also gave me a 25.00 gift certificate. If nothing else maybe it will make them more aware of the problem.

Ann

Pennylane

Ann

Pennylane

Ann

Pennylane

Ann

Pennylane

Ann

Pennylane

Ann

Pennylane

Ann

Pennylane

Ann

mommyoftwo
06-16-2006, 12:17 PM
It's a pain to do, but I've always had good luck with the store taking back damaged food or expired food. I would take it back and complain.

mommyoftwo
It's a pain to do, but I've always had good luck with the store taking back damaged food or expired food. I would take it back and complain.

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

Bearhut
06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
I agree about taking it back. I know that it is a REAL PAIN, but see what they can do for you.

When our new grocery store openned, I was there on the morning of the first day and there was already food that had expired.

Bearhut
I agree about taking it back. I know that it is a REAL PAIN, but see what they can do for you.

When our new grocery store openned, I was there on the morning of the first day and there was already food that had expired.

Bearhut

Bearhut

Bearhut

Bearhut

Bearhut

Bearhut

Bearhut

janeybwild
06-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I've taken back expired yogurt. I've also pointed out wildly expired eggs to the grocery manager. Its a shame you can't trust them to always be on the ball and have to check the dates, but I guess the # of people involved could always makes it someone else's fault!

janeybwild
I've taken back expired yogurt. I've also pointed out wildly expired eggs to the grocery manager. Its a shame you can't trust them to always be on the ball and have to check the dates, but I guess the # of people involved could always makes it someone else's fault!

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

slknight
06-16-2006, 08:37 PM
That stinks. Agreeing with the other posters that you should take it back. We don't have a full-size grocery store in my town (have to drive to the next town over), but we do have a small market. They sell expired and bad food there all the time. It drives me nuts. I try to check the expiration date, but sometimes the date will be ok, I'll get something home, and it will still be spoiled. YUCK!

slknight
That stinks. Agreeing with the other posters that you should take it back. We don't have a full-size grocery store in my town (have to drive to the next town over), but we do have a small market. They sell expired and bad food there all the time. It drives me nuts. I try to check the expiration date, but sometimes the date will be ok, I'll get something home, and it will still be spoiled. YUCK!

slknight

slknight

slknight

slknight

slknight

slknight

slknight

Raidra
06-16-2006, 09:01 PM
I've brought back expired food before, and they took it back even without the reciept.. especially when I showed them that all the rest of the jars on the shelf were expired, too.

I notice moldy fruit in the produce section all the time, and it always grosses me out. Once every single pint of blueberries was moldy.. I told one of the stockers who was nearby about it, and he seemed totally indifferent.

Raidra
I've brought back expired food before, and they took it back even without the reciept.. especially when I showed them that all the rest of the jars on the shelf were expired, too.

I notice moldy fruit in the produce section all the time, and it always grosses me out. Once every single pint of blueberries was moldy.. I told one of the stockers who was nearby about it, and he seemed totally indifferent.

Raidra

Raidra

Raidra

Raidra

Raidra

Raidra

Raidra

Radosti
06-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks. I will take it back tomorrow morning. It's a 15 minute drive because I went to a store near my doctor's office. It's just a pain to take it back.

Radosti
Thanks. I will take it back tomorrow morning. It's a 15 minute drive because I went to a store near my doctor's office. It's just a pain to take it back.

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

DebbieJ
06-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Yep, I've taken stuff back too. One that I vividly remember was a container of veggie dip. Expired!

I also see the moldy/gross fruit regularly. Mostly berries as they do spoil quickly. Oh, and tomatoes, too.

Earlier this week I got a seriously under ripe watermelon. DS loves watermelon and was so excited when I cut it. He ate it anyway.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

DebbieJ
Yep, I've taken stuff back too. One that I vividly remember was a container of veggie dip. Expired!

I also see the moldy/gross fruit regularly. Mostly berries as they do spoil quickly. Oh, and tomatoes, too.

Earlier this week I got a seriously under ripe watermelon. DS loves watermelon and was so excited when I cut it. He ate it anyway.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

Radosti
06-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks! I took the yogurts back this morning and talked to the manager. He apologized profusely and gave me my money back and a $25 gift card to Acme. Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

Radosti
Thanks! I took the yogurts back this morning and talked to the manager. He apologized profusely and gave me my money back and a $25 gift card to Acme. Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti

Radosti