PDA

View Full Version : Take care of your kids.

Pages : [1] 2

kijip
06-16-2006, 04:49 PM
So far I love living in our new location. However last night there were 3 kids locked out of the apartment 2 doors down from me. The oldest was 4 (?) the youngest was ONE, I kid you not, 1 years old. They were banging on the door. I know they live there because I have seen them before. I tried to talk to them but I don't speak Spanish and the oldest could not tell me what was happening in English (I was worried that maybe their parent was hurt or something and could not open the door). J was over for dinner (he is fluent) so he asked them if they needed help. They said that their mother would not let them back in the house. J asked the 4 year old what he wanted to do and he said to go inside. I was about to call for help when an adult they knew from the next building who saw them when she was getting out of her car came and banged on their door till the mother, who was clearly *not sober* let them back in. From talking to the other adult, J found out this happens *a lot*. The kids will be locked out for hours (they were locked out when we got home and I was not quite sure what was going on at first but I had a clear view from my kitchen window). Why would the other residents not have done something about this? I am inclined to just pick up the phone and call the police the next time I see them out there. To me that crosses the line from calling CPS about *possible* neglect to a clear crime.

kijip
So far I love living in our new location. However last night there were 3 kids locked out of the apartment 2 doors down from me. The oldest was 4 (?) the youngest was ONE, I kid you not, 1 years old. They were banging on the door. I know they live there because I have seen them before. I tried to talk to them but I don't speak Spanish and the oldest could not tell me what was happening in English (I was worried that maybe their parent was hurt or something and could not open the door). J was over for dinner (he is fluent) so he asked them if they needed help. They said that their mother would not let them back in the house. J asked the 4 year old what he wanted to do and he said to go inside. I was about to call for help when an adult they knew from the next building who saw them when she was getting out of her car came and banged on their door till the mother, who was clearly *not sober* let them back in. From talking to the other adult, J found out this happens *a lot*. The kids will be locked out for hours (they were locked out when we got home and I was not quite sure what was going on at first but I had a clear view from my kitchen window). Why would the other residents not have done something about this? I am inclined to just pick up the phone and call the police the next time I see them out there. To me that crosses the line from calling CPS about *possible* neglect to a clear crime.

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

bcky2
06-16-2006, 05:35 PM
ok that is just pure crazy. no doubt in my mind i would be calling the cops next time it happens and every time there after untill something is done. to me that goes beyond cps.

bcky2
ok that is just pure crazy. no doubt in my mind i would be calling the cops next time it happens and every time there after untill something is done. to me that goes beyond cps.

bcky2

bcky2

bcky2

bcky2

bcky2

bcky2

bcky2

Lovingliv
06-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Oh, I am so sorry this happened.
very sad.
Some people should clearly not have children.

Lovingliv
very sad.

Lovingliv
very sad.

Lovingliv
very sad.

Lovingliv
very sad.

Lovingliv
very sad.

Lovingliv
very sad.

Lovingliv
very sad.

Lovingliv
very sad.

saschalicks
06-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Katie,
This is just heartbreaking. I mean really heartbreaking. For some reason stuff like this just makes me cry. How in this world a person can think it's OK to put a 4 year old and younger out in the street is unreal.

I definitely agree with you that police are definitely needed the next time this happens.

saschalicks
Katie,
This is just heartbreaking. I mean really heartbreaking. For some reason stuff like this just makes me cry. How in this world a person can think it's OK to put a 4 year old and younger out in the street is unreal.

I definitely agree with you that police are definitely needed the next time this happens.

saschalicks
Katie,

saschalicks
Katie,

saschalicks
Katie,

saschalicks
Katie,

saschalicks
Katie,

saschalicks
Katie,

saschalicks
Katie,

mommyoftwo
06-16-2006, 05:58 PM
ITA, call the police next time. That is absolutely unacceptable behavior. No mother in her right mind would do something like that.

mommyoftwo
ITA, call the police next time. That is absolutely unacceptable behavior. No mother in her right mind would do something like that.

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo

ett
06-16-2006, 08:06 PM
That is unbelievable. I would definitely call the police the next time it happens.

ett
That is unbelievable. I would definitely call the police the next time it happens.

ett

ett

ett

ett

ett

ett

ett

buddyleebaby
06-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Call the police next time and call CPS NOW.
Someone obviously needs to help these poor kids before something terrible happens.
Sounds like it has gone on far too long already.

Hugs. We know things like this go on but it is especially heartbreaking to come face to face with it.

buddyleebaby
Someone obviously needs to help these poor kids before something terrible happens.

Hugs. We know things like this go on but it is especially heartbreaking to come face to face with it.

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

dogmom
06-17-2006, 04:23 AM
I agree with the PP. Please call Child Protective Services now, if for no other reason than your piece of mind. I mean, what happens if you aren't home the next time and the 4 year old can't keep the 1 year old from wandering into the street and something happens? You are going to remember that for the rest of your life. CPS don't have to catch someone "in the act" to investigate. All the police will do if you call them next time is report it to CPS and make the mother take the kids back in. There may have already been reports, so this might kick something over the edge.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/16/06

dogmom
I agree with the PP. Please call Child Protective Services now, if for no other reason than your piece of mind. I mean, what happens if you aren't home the next time and the 4 year old can't keep the 1 year old from wandering into the street and something happens? You are going to remember that for the rest of your life. CPS don't have to catch someone "in the act" to investigate. All the police will do if you call them next time is report it to CPS and make the mother take the kids back in. There may have already been reports, so this might kick something over the edge.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/16/06

dogmom

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/16/06

dogmom

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/16/06

dogmom

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/16/06

dogmom

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/16/06

dogmom

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/16/06

dogmom

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/16/06

dogmom

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve
EDC 6/16/06

dr mom
06-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I agree with calling CPS, to start a "paper trail" about the problem with this family. Maybe other neighbors would be willing to talk to CPS, if they have also seen the children outside unattended?

My heart breaks for those poor kids, I can't imagine a mother leaving her babies alone like that. You and your neighbors were keeping an eye on them and trying to help keep them safe - but not everyone has such good intentions. What if one of those children was kidnapped? Injured? Wandered off and couldn't be found?

CPS needs to know about this, because it is a clear-cut case of neglect. Maybe they can help that mom get the resources and support she needs to be a better parent to her children.

dr mom
I agree with calling CPS, to start a "paper trail" about the problem with this family. Maybe other neighbors would be willing to talk to CPS, if they have also seen the children outside unattended?

My heart breaks for those poor kids, I can't imagine a mother leaving her babies alone like that. You and your neighbors were keeping an eye on them and trying to help keep them safe - but not everyone has such good intentions. What if one of those children was kidnapped? Injured? Wandered off and couldn't be found?

CPS needs to know about this, because it is a clear-cut case of neglect. Maybe they can help that mom get the resources and support she needs to be a better parent to her children.

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

Emmas Mom
06-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Yes, PLEASE call CPS now. :( It's just heartbreaking to see something like that happening to such little ones. Not to sound harsh but some people just do not deserve to be parents. There are so many people who are trying to have children & then you hear about something like this. I mean, if the mother has a problem & is TRYING to get help that's one thing but I just hate it that the little innocent ones are paying the price. It makes me cry to hear things like this.

Emmas Mom
Yes, PLEASE call CPS now. :( It's just heartbreaking to see something like that happening to such little ones. Not to sound harsh but some people just do not deserve to be parents. There are so many people who are trying to have children & then you hear about something like this. I mean, if the mother has a problem & is TRYING to get help that's one thing but I just hate it that the little innocent ones are paying the price. It makes me cry to hear things like this.

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

Emmas Mom

kijip
06-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Right after making the post. Writing it out triggered how INSANE it was ;) :( Thanks for making it clear that this was the right move to take.

The CPS intake officer took the information and the guy promised to cross check my complaint against others and see if there have been other complaints at that address. All I had was the address and my description of the kids and the oldest boy's first name.

I also called the non emergency line and chatted with a community policing officer. If there are unattended toddlers, if called she said they would come out and possibly take the kids into emergency foster care until relatives could be located. If the mother was high they would have to locate an alternate family member rather than release them to their mother. So they will take it seriously and not just make the mother open the door. Good to know.

So sad all around. I have seen the kids outside since then but it was during the day, and they are playing with some older kids so I did not think anything except "I am glad they are happy right now".

kijip
Right after making the post. Writing it out triggered how INSANE it was ;) :( Thanks for making it clear that this was the right move to take.

The CPS intake officer took the information and the guy promised to cross check my complaint against others and see if there have been other complaints at that address. All I had was the address and my description of the kids and the oldest boy's first name.

I also called the non emergency line and chatted with a community policing officer. If there are unattended toddlers, if called she said they would come out and possibly take the kids into emergency foster care until relatives could be located. If the mother was high they would have to locate an alternate family member rather than release them to their mother. So they will take it seriously and not just make the mother open the door. Good to know.

So sad all around. I have seen the kids outside since then but it was during the day, and they are playing with some older kids so I did not think anything except "I am glad they are happy right now".

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

buddyleebaby
06-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Way to go, Katie!

buddyleebaby
Way to go, Katie!

buddyleebaby
Way to go, Katie!

buddyleebaby
Way to go, Katie!

buddyleebaby
Way to go, Katie!

buddyleebaby
Way to go, Katie!

buddyleebaby
Way to go, Katie!

buddyleebaby
Way to go, Katie!

buddyleebaby
Way to go, Katie!

bubbaray
06-17-2006, 10:26 PM
You did the right thing. Bless their little hearts. That is just horrible.

I hope that CPS can find a better situation for them.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

mommy111
06-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Ugh, this is so sad! Although I feel that there is no better home for a child than with his/her parents, and I do think that our systems need to work to better enable people to take good care of their kids rather than placing them in a foster care situation or taking them away, I cannot even fathom how a mom could do what this woman did. DD is almost 2 and I would not even *think* of putting her in a situation where she would be out of sight of myself, DH or some other responsible caretaker. How very very sad for the kids, and I'm glad you talked to CPS. If nothing else, maybe a visit from them will scare this person into taking better care of her children.

mommy111
Ugh, this is so sad! Although I feel that there is no better home for a child than with his/her parents, and I do think that our systems need to work to better enable people to take good care of their kids rather than placing them in a foster care situation or taking them away, I cannot even fathom how a mom could do what this woman did. DD is almost 2 and I would not even *think* of putting her in a situation where she would be out of sight of myself, DH or some other responsible caretaker. How very very sad for the kids, and I'm glad you talked to CPS. If nothing else, maybe a visit from them will scare this person into taking better care of her children.

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-18-2006, 02:57 AM
"I do think that our systems need to work to better enable people to take good care of their kids"

I am curious as to what you mean by this?

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
"I do think that our systems need to work to better enable people to take good care of their kids"

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

KBecks
06-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Katie, thanks for doing something about it. I hope that this family is able to get some help as a result.

KBecks
Katie, thanks for doing something about it. I hope that this family is able to get some help as a result.

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

mommy111
06-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Susan, completely not meant to offend anyone and it was something of a generalization. What I was thinking of was a recent case in the ER of a hospital where I work (I'm a research person, so I work in various patient care settings). A man was told by social services at our hospital that his kids would be placed in temporary foster care when one of the little ones came in with a broken arm. The background was that his wife was hospitalized in late pregnancy with very high blood pressures, he was having to manage with 4 kids on his own (including about 5 year old twins and two toddlers). He couldn't afford to hire someone to help him after work, and just couldn't manage with 4 kids and housework and sick wife. YOu would think it would be simpler and cheaper for them to have someone help him out instead of placing the 4 kids in temporary care. As it was, some of the nurses in the hospital were concerned enough that they arranged for him to have a few hours of help at home each day and he was able to keep the kids, but that was what was on my mind when I wrote that.
Since my experience with this is limited, I don't know if this is the norm in this kind of a situation, but I would think that if the parents are overwhelmed and not 'bad parents,' that it is better for the kids to be with them than in a foster situation. Obviously, does not necessarily apply to the situation mentioned by the OP.

mommy111
Susan, completely not meant to offend anyone and it was something of a generalization. What I was thinking of was a recent case in the ER of a hospital where I work (I'm a research person, so I work in various patient care settings). A man was told by social services at our hospital that his kids would be placed in temporary foster care when one of the little ones came in with a broken arm. The background was that his wife was hospitalized in late pregnancy with very high blood pressures, he was having to manage with 4 kids on his own (including about 5 year old twins and two toddlers). He couldn't afford to hire someone to help him after work, and just couldn't manage with 4 kids and housework and sick wife. YOu would think it would be simpler and cheaper for them to have someone help him out instead of placing the 4 kids in temporary care. As it was, some of the nurses in the hospital were concerned enough that they arranged for him to have a few hours of help at home each day and he was able to keep the kids, but that was what was on my mind when I wrote that.
Since my experience with this is limited, I don't know if this is the norm in this kind of a situation, but I would think that if the parents are overwhelmed and not 'bad parents,' that it is better for the kids to be with them than in a foster situation. Obviously, does not necessarily apply to the situation mentioned by the OP.

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

denna
06-19-2006, 01:57 AM
That is ridiculous and horribly sad! If *when* it happens again I would definitely call the police, or notify CPS as soon as you can! I cant believe some ppl out there would do this! It is just horrible!

denna
That is ridiculous and horribly sad! If *when* it happens again I would definitely call the police, or notify CPS as soon as you can! I cant believe some ppl out there would do this! It is just horrible!

denna

denna

denna

denna

denna

denna

denna

Moneypenny
06-19-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm not who you were asking, but I was involved in a situation where I thought the same thing. An employee of mine had a serious alcohol problem. She was a single mother with two young kids, one of whom had special needs. Rather than firing her right away, I made it mandatory for her to go to our EAP. She got set up with two counselors, group counseling sessions, and physical addiction treatment. However, part of the reason she failed in her treatment (besides not being very motivated) was because she had no place bring her kids when she went to these appointments, so she just didn't go. She couldn't just find any old babysitter to take care of her younger child for evening appointments, and the treatment she really needed would have meant at least a 28-day hospitalization. She would have had to temporarily put her kids in foster care, which I think would have been better for them than staying with a drunk mother, but to HER, that was inconceivable and to HER, it gave her a valid reason not to do it. Even if she had been very motivated to get better, it would have been very difficult for her because of the child care situation. Unfortunately, I had to fire her and I've heard through the grapevine that she isn't any better at all. It makes me sick to think of those poor kids...

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

Moneypenny
I'm not who you were asking, but I was involved in a situation where I thought the same thing. An employee of mine had a serious alcohol problem. She was a single mother with two young kids, one of whom had special needs. Rather than firing her right away, I made it mandatory for her to go to our EAP. She got set up with two counselors, group counseling sessions, and physical addiction treatment. However, part of the reason she failed in her treatment (besides not being very motivated) was because she had no place bring her kids when she went to these appointments, so she just didn't go. She couldn't just find any old babysitter to take care of her younger child for evening appointments, and the treatment she really needed would have meant at least a 28-day hospitalization. She would have had to temporarily put her kids in foster care, which I think would have been better for them than staying with a drunk mother, but to HER, that was inconceivable and to HER, it gave her a valid reason not to do it. Even if she had been very motivated to get better, it would have been very difficult for her because of the child care situation. Unfortunately, I had to fire her and I've heard through the grapevine that she isn't any better at all. It makes me sick to think of those poor kids...

Susan

Moneypenny

Susan

Moneypenny

Susan

Moneypenny

Susan

Moneypenny

Susan

Moneypenny

Susan

Moneypenny

Susan

Moneypenny

Susan

amp
06-19-2006, 02:03 PM
>Ugh, this is so sad! Although I feel that there is no better
>home for a child than with his/her parents, and I do think
>that our systems need to work to better enable people to take
>good care of their kids rather than placing them in a foster
>care situation or taking them away, I cannot even fathom how a
>mom could do what this woman did.

While I may agree with the sentiment, and I don't avocate for a willy nilly removal from the home, having been a social worker, I've seen too many children returned to an unsafe, unstable home, in the name of reunification. Not every child should stay with it's parent. Sometimes it's a matter of life and death, and other times it's a matter of a child knowing that they are important and loved. Sometimes removal is the best thing for a child.

I cannot imagine what those kids must feel, knowing that they are not welcome to come back into their own home and that no one is protecting them. Katie, they were lucky to have you looking out for them. I can't believe how many were turning a blind eye to a totally inappropriate situation. Kudos to you for acting.

amp

While I may agree with the sentiment, and I don't avocate for a willy nilly removal from the home, having been a social worker, I've seen too many children returned to an unsafe, unstable home, in the name of reunification. Not every child should stay with it's parent. Sometimes it's a matter of life and death, and other times it's a matter of a child knowing that they are important and loved. Sometimes removal is the best thing for a child.

I cannot imagine what those kids must feel, knowing that they are not welcome to come back into their own home and that no one is protecting them. Katie, they were lucky to have you looking out for them. I can't believe how many were turning a blind eye to a totally inappropriate situation. Kudos to you for acting.

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

mommy111
06-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Its awesome that you would do that for an employee of yours, even though it would have been so much easier for you just to fire her immediately and to not deal with it. At least you gave her a shot at being a sober and good mother for her children, its sad to hear that it did not work.

mommy111
Its awesome that you would do that for an employee of yours, even though it would have been so much easier for you just to fire her immediately and to not deal with it. At least you gave her a shot at being a sober and good mother for her children, its sad to hear that it did not work.

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111
06-19-2006, 03:08 PM
ITA that in the given situation, Katie did absolutely the right thing. And I don't mean to devalue the work that social workers and CPS do AT ALL. I think we are really lucky to have the system in place that many other countries don't.
However, I have seen people who can be perfectly good parents and who love their children crack under the stresses of work and parenthood, and who would do well with just that little added bit of support, which is what I was referring to when I said what I did.
From your point of view as a social worker, I am also sure that you have seen horrendous situations where you strongly feel that kids need to removed, situations that I have not been exposed to in real life.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that we may be saying the same thing from a different perspective, that there are situations that kids NEED to be removed from, and others where you can do stuff to help without necessarily separating the child from his or her parents, and it is these situations where I feel more needs to be done to provide support to try to create a healthy environment for the child.
BTW, Katie, I didn't mean to stir up a storm or hijack your post, sorry!

mommy111
ITA that in the given situation, Katie did absolutely the right thing. And I don't mean to devalue the work that social workers and CPS do AT ALL. I think we are really lucky to have the system in place that many other countries don't.
However, I have seen people who can be perfectly good parents and who love their children crack under the stresses of work and parenthood, and who would do well with just that little added bit of support, which is what I was referring to when I said what I did.
From your point of view as a social worker, I am also sure that you have seen horrendous situations where you strongly feel that kids need to removed, situations that I have not been exposed to in real life.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that we may be saying the same thing from a different perspective, that there are situations that kids NEED to be removed from, and others where you can do stuff to help without necessarily separating the child from his or her parents, and it is these situations where I feel more needs to be done to provide support to try to create a healthy environment for the child.

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-19-2006, 08:48 PM
No offense taken at all. I completetly see how your comment illustrates
the scenario you just gave, completely. But I don't see how it pertains to the original post.(howewer just because I don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there :).
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
the scenario you just gave, completely. But I don't see how it pertains to the original post.(howewer just because I don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there :).
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

KBecks
06-19-2006, 10:46 PM
I just wish that all foster care homes were safe. I think there are way too many stories of foster homes that are nearly as screwed up or even worse than the original homes.

Just last month a foster father killed a 3 y.o. boy and seriously injured a 2 y.o. in his care because the boy was whining too much. He punched the 3 y.o. and 2 y.o. brothers as hard as he could.

These stories may be rare, but how come I seem to hear of abuse in the foster homes so very much? It's so awful.

KBecks
I just wish that all foster care homes were safe. I think there are way too many stories of foster homes that are nearly as screwed up or even worse than the original homes.

Just last month a foster father killed a 3 y.o. boy and seriously injured a 2 y.o. in his care because the boy was whining too much. He punched the 3 y.o. and 2 y.o. brothers as hard as he could.

These stories may be rare, but how come I seem to hear of abuse in the foster homes so very much? It's so awful.

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

Saartje
06-19-2006, 10:54 PM
>These stories may be rare, but how come I seem to hear of
>abuse in the foster homes so very much? It's so awful.

Because it's every parent's nightmare. It's a very scary thing to think about, so it (a) gets reported more thoroughly in the news than abuse by a parent and (b) is more likely to catch your attention if you're browsing headlines. Not to mention that it's more likely to get noticed in the first place, because foster parents are checked up on but other parents aren't necessarily.

Saartje

Because it's every parent's nightmare. It's a very scary thing to think about, so it (a) gets reported more thoroughly in the news than abuse by a parent and (b) is more likely to catch your attention if you're browsing headlines. Not to mention that it's more likely to get noticed in the first place, because foster parents are checked up on but other parents aren't necessarily.

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

mommy111
06-19-2006, 11:31 PM
When I look back at my post, I don't see it relating to the original post either. :P Its like this dialogue in your mind which is linking what you're reading with something that made an impression on you in the recent past and suddenly you say something that doesn't relate to what was said, except in your mind it made perfect sense at that time. Like the story of, was it Archimedes? who ran naked out of his bath crying 'Eureka!' when he discovered the principle behind specific gravity. Or my completely demented, God rest her soul, grand-aunt, who used to say whenever she saw me 'You need to spin it clockwise 5 times because Uncle Al invented fire and he wasn't even really smart.' (I SWEAR I'm not making this up).
OK, I think the late night is turning my brain to mush too. Off to sleep.

mommy111
When I look back at my post, I don't see it relating to the original post either. :P Its like this dialogue in your mind which is linking what you're reading with something that made an impression on you in the recent past and suddenly you say something that doesn't relate to what was said, except in your mind it made perfect sense at that time. Like the story of, was it Archimedes? who ran naked out of his bath crying 'Eureka!' when he discovered the principle behind specific gravity. Or my completely demented, God rest her soul, grand-aunt, who used to say whenever she saw me 'You need to spin it clockwise 5 times because Uncle Al invented fire and he wasn't even really smart.' (I SWEAR I'm not making this up).

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

mommy111

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
You need to spin it clockwise 5 times because Uncle Al invented fire and he wasn't even really smart.

Love it!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
You need to spin it clockwise 5 times because Uncle Al invented fire and he wasn't even really smart.

Love it!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Love it!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Love it!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Love it!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Love it!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Love it!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Love it!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom

Love it!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

JulieL
06-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Well I think the foster system is very hard for work with. My cousin and her husband are a well established family: in their 40's, good income, SAHM - so they decided to foster children. Well they tried 3 times to adopt the children they got attached to and 2 times at the very last moment a family member out of no where showed up and the children were taken away. They finally were able to adopt a little girl whos parents where in jail and were drug addicts. I think it's hard for people to give up their time and emotional attachement to see their little ones go back to the abusive situation like Andrea said she saw as a social worker. I don't know what the answer is but their definately needs to be some changes.

Btw does anyone know the actual number or percentages of foster homes that are abusive? I just wonder if this is on of those bad apple in the basket mentality, one instance can corrupt the mainstream thought of what foster parenting is/has been.

JulieL
Well I think the foster system is very hard for work with. My cousin and her husband are a well established family: in their 40's, good income, SAHM - so they decided to foster children. Well they tried 3 times to adopt the children they got attached to and 2 times at the very last moment a family member out of no where showed up and the children were taken away. They finally were able to adopt a little girl whos parents where in jail and were drug addicts. I think it's hard for people to give up their time and emotional attachement to see their little ones go back to the abusive situation like Andrea said she saw as a social worker. I don't know what the answer is but their definately needs to be some changes.

Btw does anyone know the actual number or percentages of foster homes that are abusive? I just wonder if this is on of those bad apple in the basket mentality, one instance can corrupt the mainstream thought of what foster parenting is/has been.

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL

JulieL