PDA

View Full Version : ARGH! Itchy welty oozy rash!!!!

omgrown
06-19-2006, 08:32 AM
I posted about a week ago in the lounge looking for poison ivy rememdies thinking that's what I had. WELL, looks like its not poison ivy, but some other bizarro unknown rash. I've been breaking out in red, hard, raised hot welts all over my right arm for day. Now its starting to come out in individual welts on my upper back, a patch on my lower back and now my feet and lower legs. Also both thumbs and two fingers of my left hand. They itch so intensly I wake up night finding myself scratching furiously at them. They start oozing after a day or two and continually ooze for 2 or 3 days before scabbing over. I thought it had stopped and only got 1 or 2 new welts a couple of days ago, but yesterday I broke out in probably 10 new welts! It was really hot this weekend and we don't have AC yet so I wonder if heat is aggravating it. I'm also about 6 weeks pregnant and I've noticed this first started about 3 weeks ago, then went away, and is now back for the last week and a half with a vengance! I'm sitting here right now digging away at the top of my foot that has appeared to have just swelled up with a new patch of this crap!
I saw my friend yesterday who is an accupunturist and herbal medicine dr. and will be my doula for this baby and she thinks its an internal allergic reaction to something since a couple of new welts popped up in the time we were talking and there weren't any mosquitos or any of the other potentail culprits around at the time. I haven't changed laundry detergants or my diet. My dogs don't have fleas, no bedbugs, DS and DH don't have anything like it. Just me.
I'm under a ridiculous amount of stress right now and this pregnancy wasn't planned, although we're happy about it.
I'm just hot and irritable and itchy and DH is being a total PITA and everything is annoying the crap out of me right now!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening, any ideas???

omgrown
I posted about a week ago in the lounge looking for poison ivy rememdies thinking that's what I had. WELL, looks like its not poison ivy, but some other bizarro unknown rash. I've been breaking out in red, hard, raised hot welts all over my right arm for day. Now its starting to come out in individual welts on my upper back, a patch on my lower back and now my feet and lower legs. Also both thumbs and two fingers of my left hand. They itch so intensly I wake up night finding myself scratching furiously at them. They start oozing after a day or two and continually ooze for 2 or 3 days before scabbing over. I thought it had stopped and only got 1 or 2 new welts a couple of days ago, but yesterday I broke out in probably 10 new welts! It was really hot this weekend and we don't have AC yet so I wonder if heat is aggravating it. I'm also about 6 weeks pregnant and I've noticed this first started about 3 weeks ago, then went away, and is now back for the last week and a half with a vengance! I'm sitting here right now digging away at the top of my foot that has appeared to have just swelled up with a new patch of this crap!
I saw my friend yesterday who is an accupunturist and herbal medicine dr. and will be my doula for this baby and she thinks its an internal allergic reaction to something since a couple of new welts popped up in the time we were talking and there weren't any mosquitos or any of the other potentail culprits around at the time. I haven't changed laundry detergants or my diet. My dogs don't have fleas, no bedbugs, DS and DH don't have anything like it. Just me.
I'm under a ridiculous amount of stress right now and this pregnancy wasn't planned, although we're happy about it.
I'm just hot and irritable and itchy and DH is being a total PITA and everything is annoying the crap out of me right now!!!!!!!!!!

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

jal
06-19-2006, 09:02 AM
red welts/itch/ooz/scab over

The first thing that came to mind strictly based on these words was chickenpox. Is it even possible that you've got chickenpox?

jal

The first thing that came to mind strictly based on these words was chickenpox. Is it even possible that you've got chickenpox?

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

Lynnie
06-19-2006, 09:09 AM
It sounds a little like what a good friend of mine had - pups (sp??) which I think is some sort of allergic reaction to the baby - or something like that (oversimplified memory of how she explained it to me). I thought she got it much later than at 6 weeks pregant though.

Hopefully its not that. She said it was pretty awful and itched intensely. Maybe you can ask your doc or something.

Hugs. you poor thing.

Lynnie
It sounds a little like what a good friend of mine had - pups (sp??) which I think is some sort of allergic reaction to the baby - or something like that (oversimplified memory of how she explained it to me). I thought she got it much later than at 6 weeks pregant though.

Hopefully its not that. She said it was pretty awful and itched intensely. Maybe you can ask your doc or something.

Hugs. you poor thing.

Lynnie

Hugs. you poor thing.

Lynnie

Hugs. you poor thing.

Lynnie

Hugs. you poor thing.

Lynnie

Hugs. you poor thing.

Lynnie

Hugs. you poor thing.

Lynnie

Hugs. you poor thing.

Lynnie

Hugs. you poor thing.

omgrown
06-19-2006, 09:33 AM
I've considered that it could be chicken pox. But they start on the torso and then move to the extremities and these are only on my extremities, save a couple on my upper back/lower back. I've had chicken pox and I don't have any of the other symptoms, so I don't think that's it, but thanks!

PUPS! That's what I was thinking it might be but it wasn't coming up when I googled the symptoms. I'm going to check that to see if there are any pictures of it. I didn't think it could come up this early either. But maybe something funny is happening hormonally that's causing it.

update: OK, its not PUPS, I guess that's a liver condition and isn't characterized by lesions, which I definitely have. Also PUPS IS a 3rd trimester condition, as you had mentioned, so that's not it.

I don't have a Dr. at the moment, I'm trying to set up a midwife and get new insurance all at the same time. I might call DS's Dr. since she's a family practice Dr. and is great about suggesting natural rememdies whenever possible.

Thanks ladies, any other ideas are more than welcome!

omgrown
I've considered that it could be chicken pox. But they start on the torso and then move to the extremities and these are only on my extremities, save a couple on my upper back/lower back. I've had chicken pox and I don't have any of the other symptoms, so I don't think that's it, but thanks!

PUPS! That's what I was thinking it might be but it wasn't coming up when I googled the symptoms. I'm going to check that to see if there are any pictures of it. I didn't think it could come up this early either. But maybe something funny is happening hormonally that's causing it.

update: OK, its not PUPS, I guess that's a liver condition and isn't characterized by lesions, which I definitely have. Also PUPS IS a 3rd trimester condition, as you had mentioned, so that's not it.

I don't have a Dr. at the moment, I'm trying to set up a midwife and get new insurance all at the same time. I might call DS's Dr. since she's a family practice Dr. and is great about suggesting natural rememdies whenever possible.

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

janeybwild
06-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Nothing springs to mind (except hives in response to some allergen?) , but ouch! Doesn't sound like you can take any meds at 6 wks either. How about an oatmeal bath? Works wonders for calming down irritated skin from Shingles. Sending you healthy skin vibes!

janeybwild
Nothing springs to mind (except hives in response to some allergen?) , but ouch! Doesn't sound like you can take any meds at 6 wks either. How about an oatmeal bath? Works wonders for calming down irritated skin from Shingles. Sending you healthy skin vibes!

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

lmintzer
06-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Oh, how awful! Are you on any medications right now? Have you recently started any kind of med?

I wonder if it could be some kind of an auto-immune/pregnancy thing but I have no idea. You really should see a doctor--I'd definitelys ee your DS's family practioner. You need some relief and some explanation for why this is happening. You also want to make sure you nip it in the bud before it gets worse!

Many hugs to you!

lmintzer
Oh, how awful! Are you on any medications right now? Have you recently started any kind of med?

I wonder if it could be some kind of an auto-immune/pregnancy thing but I have no idea. You really should see a doctor--I'd definitelys ee your DS's family practioner. You need some relief and some explanation for why this is happening. You also want to make sure you nip it in the bud before it gets worse!

Many hugs to you!

lmintzer

Many hugs to you!

lmintzer

Many hugs to you!

lmintzer

Many hugs to you!

lmintzer

Many hugs to you!

lmintzer

Many hugs to you!

lmintzer

Many hugs to you!

lmintzer

Many hugs to you!

cara1
06-19-2006, 12:27 PM
This really could be PUPPP. It's not a liver condition, it's a skin condition. Although more common in the 3rd trimester, it certainly can occur in any stage of pregnancy. Get thee to a dermatologist!

cara1
This really could be PUPPP. It's not a liver condition, it's a skin condition. Although more common in the 3rd trimester, it certainly can occur in any stage of pregnancy. Get thee to a dermatologist!

cara1

cara1

cara1

cara1

cara1

cara1

cara1

buddyleebaby
06-19-2006, 12:42 PM
no advice, just sympathy. It sounds AWFUL! I can't stand to even have a bug bite.
Hugs, mama. Hoping you find relief soon!

buddyleebaby
no advice, just sympathy. It sounds AWFUL! I can't stand to even have a bug bite.

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

trumansmom
06-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Yup. I had PUPPPs late in my second trimester. It sounds a lot like this.

Either way, a safe medication that should give you at least a couple of hours of relief is Sarna Lotion. It's sold over the counter. Go to the drug store and ask for it. It stinks and feels a lot like Ben Gay, but it was the only thing that gave me any relief whatsoever.

Just don't use it too often or it loses its effectiveness.

Good luck!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

trumansmom

Either way, a safe medication that should give you at least a couple of hours of relief is Sarna Lotion. It's sold over the counter. Go to the drug store and ask for it. It stinks and feels a lot like Ben Gay, but it was the only thing that gave me any relief whatsoever.

Good luck!

Jeanne

trumansmom

Good luck!

Jeanne

trumansmom

Good luck!

Jeanne

trumansmom

Good luck!

Jeanne

trumansmom

Good luck!

Jeanne

trumansmom

Good luck!

Jeanne

trumansmom

Good luck!

Jeanne

trumansmom

Good luck!

Jeanne

Queensgirl
06-19-2006, 02:45 PM
So sorry- it sounds incredibly uncomfortable.
Are you sure it's not PUPP?
Either way, check out these two sites-they offer some remedies/relief and it may work in your case. Good Luck.

http://www.tcinternet.net/users/kritzerburke/naomi/PUPPP.htm

http://www.babycenter.com/comments/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/9450?i=200

http://rainiersoapworks.com./puppp_relief.htm

ETA links

Queensgirl
Either way, check out these two sites-they offer some remedies/relief and it may work in your case. Good Luck.

ETA links

Queensgirl

ETA links

Queensgirl

ETA links

Queensgirl

ETA links

Queensgirl

ETA links

Queensgirl

ETA links

Queensgirl

ETA links

Queensgirl

ETA links

Marisa6826
06-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Sounds like either PUPP or Shingles. I would get to a doctor ASAP.

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

nicoleandjackson
06-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Better Homes & Gardens just ran an article about wild parsnip burns (similar to poison ivy, but not as easily identified). I found a link that describes the plant and the rash symptoms:

http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/1999/jun99/parsnip.htm

Hope you can figure out what it is!

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

http://b5.lilypie.com/nD9Jm5.png

nicoleandjackson
Better Homes & Gardens just ran an article about wild parsnip burns (similar to poison ivy, but not as easily identified). I found a link that describes the plant and the rash symptoms:

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

omgrown
06-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks again everyone! You're totally right, PUPP isn't liver related, I had it mixed up with something else. But as far as I can tell from google'ing it, it doesn't occur until 3rd trimester and starts on the abdomen. I'm being treated by my doula/acupuncturist/friend with herbs, both internally and topically and acupuncture and it seems to be helping. The heat defnitely aggravates it so I'm trying to take cool baths and the herbs are supposed to help my body disappate internal heat and dampness (in chinese medicine terms) in a more productive way than through my skin.
I found a mama on another message board that had the same exact symptoms in her 1st tri with her DS and her doctor gave her a diagnosis (which she couldn't remember offhand) but couldn't really treat her for it. She did say it went away by the 2nd tri though, which is encouraging. I could be wrong, but it seems like the kind of thing that western medicine would treat with prenisone or some other kind of steroid normally which I obviously can't take right now, so I'm gonna continue with the chinese medicine route for now and see how it goes. I really wasn't taking very good care of myself before I found out I was pregnant, not eating well, lots of fast food, sugar, red wine, dairy, just crap in general so it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't my body's way of trying to rid itself of toxin's to make a safe place for the new little peanut to grow in. I'm going to talk more with my doula about making some dietary changes as well to try to remedy the situation.
Thanks again for letting me ramble, iits helping to just talk about it, makes me feel less helpless :-)

omgrown
Thanks again everyone! You're totally right, PUPP isn't liver related, I had it mixed up with something else. But as far as I can tell from google'ing it, it doesn't occur until 3rd trimester and starts on the abdomen. I'm being treated by my doula/acupuncturist/friend with herbs, both internally and topically and acupuncture and it seems to be helping. The heat defnitely aggravates it so I'm trying to take cool baths and the herbs are supposed to help my body disappate internal heat and dampness (in chinese medicine terms) in a more productive way than through my skin.
I found a mama on another message board that had the same exact symptoms in her 1st tri with her DS and her doctor gave her a diagnosis (which she couldn't remember offhand) but couldn't really treat her for it. She did say it went away by the 2nd tri though, which is encouraging. I could be wrong, but it seems like the kind of thing that western medicine would treat with prenisone or some other kind of steroid normally which I obviously can't take right now, so I'm gonna continue with the chinese medicine route for now and see how it goes. I really wasn't taking very good care of myself before I found out I was pregnant, not eating well, lots of fast food, sugar, red wine, dairy, just crap in general so it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't my body's way of trying to rid itself of toxin's to make a safe place for the new little peanut to grow in. I'm going to talk more with my doula about making some dietary changes as well to try to remedy the situation.
Thanks again for letting me ramble, iits helping to just talk about it, makes me feel less helpless :-)

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

sidmand
06-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Just another note if it is indeed PUPPS--if you're not opposed to herbs while pregnant, and it sounds like you're not--dandelion root and flax seed oil made all the difference to me and I saw results within a couple of days and the rash completely disappeared within a couple of weeks.

Note: I got PUPPS at 22 weeks, so although usually a third trimester afflication, not always; mine also did not start on my abdomen or in stretch marks since I didn't have any yet!
Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

sidmand
Just another note if it is indeed PUPPS--if you're not opposed to herbs while pregnant, and it sounds like you're not--dandelion root and flax seed oil made all the difference to me and I saw results within a couple of days and the rash completely disappeared within a couple of weeks.

Note: I got PUPPS at 22 weeks, so although usually a third trimester afflication, not always; mine also did not start on my abdomen or in stretch marks since I didn't have any yet!
Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

trumansmom
06-21-2006, 11:45 AM
I think mine started around 25 weeks, but it's been so long I can't remember. And mine started on my hands. There is TONS of conflicting information online about PUPPS. The pp's link to Naomi's page was by far the most helpful for me. I ended up printing it out and giving it to my ob/gyn and she was very grateful.

Good luck. I'm glad you have help with this!

Jeanne

trumansmom
I think mine started around 25 weeks, but it's been so long I can't remember. And mine started on my hands. There is TONS of conflicting information online about PUPPS. The pp's link to Naomi's page was by far the most helpful for me. I ended up printing it out and giving it to my ob/gyn and she was very grateful.

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

omgrown
06-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks for that info, maybe it is indeed a very early onset form of PUPPS. I think I might be taking dandelion root in the herbal formula I've been taking. I've been taking a fish oil suplement for the omega's so I'm wondering if a flax seed supplement would be overdoing it? Maybe I could replace the fish oil wiht the flax seed oil until this goes away. I'll have a couple of good days where it feels like its getting better, then like today, I've got 5 or 6 new welts. Bah!!

omgrown
Thanks for that info, maybe it is indeed a very early onset form of PUPPS. I think I might be taking dandelion root in the herbal formula I've been taking. I've been taking a fish oil suplement for the omega's so I'm wondering if a flax seed supplement would be overdoing it? Maybe I could replace the fish oil wiht the flax seed oil until this goes away. I'll have a couple of good days where it feels like its getting better, then like today, I've got 5 or 6 new welts. Bah!!

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown

omgrown