PDA

View Full Version : What is it with the carts at IKEA?!?!

elliput
06-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Would someone please explain to this IKEA neophyte, what is it with all of their cart *rules*?

Can’t bring a cart in from the parking lot is it a “fire hazard� according to the security goon at the door. Of course, his stopping us right in front of the door to tell us this was even more so, as DH pointed out to him. For my ease as the customer, I want to strap my DD into a cart in the parking lot and wheel her in.

Can’t take carts with baskets upstairs, must use “stroller cart� with yellow plastic bag thingy. Interesting that the staff can use them upstairs for returns, but customers aren’t allowed too. Okay, I want a cart with a basket. Chances are I will be buying stuff from both floors, and if I get glass items I do not want to toss them in a YPBT. I do not want to transfer my stuff from a YPBT to a basket. This does not make my shopping experience better.

Please, please, please tell me this stupidity goes away, as I hope it is not their standard business practice.

elliput
Would someone please explain to this IKEA neophyte, what is it with all of their cart *rules*?

Can’t bring a cart in from the parking lot is it a “fire hazard� according to the security goon at the door. Of course, his stopping us right in front of the door to tell us this was even more so, as DH pointed out to him. For my ease as the customer, I want to strap my DD into a cart in the parking lot and wheel her in.

Can’t take carts with baskets upstairs, must use “stroller cart� with yellow plastic bag thingy. Interesting that the staff can use them upstairs for returns, but customers aren’t allowed too. Okay, I want a cart with a basket. Chances are I will be buying stuff from both floors, and if I get glass items I do not want to toss them in a YPBT. I do not want to transfer my stuff from a YPBT to a basket. This does not make my shopping experience better.

Please, please, please tell me this stupidity goes away, as I hope it is not their standard business practice.

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

deborah_r
06-19-2006, 10:29 AM
I think maybe it varies? At my closest IKEA (Burbank), you would never have the option of strapping your child in the cart and pushing the cart in to the store, because the carts are only allowed to go out into this little loading area. The parking is in a completely separate parking garage and there are no carts in it. The loading area is where, after you pay for your stuff, if it is too big and heavy to carry to the parking garage, you have to send someone in your party to get the car; that person fights an insane amount of traffic to get to the loading area (you have to go around the block to get back to it), waits in a line to enter the loading area, and then prays that a space opens somewhere near where the other person is waiting with the stuff. It's a pretty draining experience. And I'm not sure how I would go buy something big by myself, because where would I put it while going to get the car?

There is another IKEA I have been to (West Covina) where the parking is set up better and you can bring the cart to your car. That is so much easier. I do not recall if we tried to bring a cart into the store - I think we did and I do not recall a problem.

As for carts inside the store, I haven't had much trouble with that. The stores I have been in, most of the stuff on the top floor is showroom. There are a small selection of things I might pick up from the top floor, and I do just use one of the bags or I just carry it downstairs and put it in the cart. Oh, and I just remembered the West Covina one, you can have carts upstairs, but then when we wanted to go downstairs the wait for the elevator was pure insanity!

There are some inconveniences shopping at IKEA, but I still love it! I guess I've just learned to play the game! :) And as a sidenote, I LOVE their coffee!!! And if I had some right now maybe this post would be more coherent.

deborah_r
I think maybe it varies? At my closest IKEA (Burbank), you would never have the option of strapping your child in the cart and pushing the cart in to the store, because the carts are only allowed to go out into this little loading area. The parking is in a completely separate parking garage and there are no carts in it. The loading area is where, after you pay for your stuff, if it is too big and heavy to carry to the parking garage, you have to send someone in your party to get the car; that person fights an insane amount of traffic to get to the loading area (you have to go around the block to get back to it), waits in a line to enter the loading area, and then prays that a space opens somewhere near where the other person is waiting with the stuff. It's a pretty draining experience. And I'm not sure how I would go buy something big by myself, because where would I put it while going to get the car?

There is another IKEA I have been to (West Covina) where the parking is set up better and you can bring the cart to your car. That is so much easier. I do not recall if we tried to bring a cart into the store - I think we did and I do not recall a problem.

As for carts inside the store, I haven't had much trouble with that. The stores I have been in, most of the stuff on the top floor is showroom. There are a small selection of things I might pick up from the top floor, and I do just use one of the bags or I just carry it downstairs and put it in the cart. Oh, and I just remembered the West Covina one, you can have carts upstairs, but then when we wanted to go downstairs the wait for the elevator was pure insanity!

There are some inconveniences shopping at IKEA, but I still love it! I guess I've just learned to play the game! :) And as a sidenote, I LOVE their coffee!!! And if I had some right now maybe this post would be more coherent.

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

deborah_r

psophia17
06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Weird - I've only been to a handful of Ikeas, but have never run into that kind of grief when shopping with DS...

I'll pay closer attention next time...hopefully it will be soon, because I *love* Ikea...

psophia17
Weird - I've only been to a handful of Ikeas, but have never run into that kind of grief when shopping with DS...

I'll pay closer attention next time...hopefully it will be soon, because I *love* Ikea...

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

elliput
06-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Maybe it is just this store, since it just opened. I am glad it doesn't have the nightmare loading zone you mention. YIKES! That sounds horrible. Hmmm, gonna have to try the coffee. :-)

elliput
Maybe it is just this store, since it just opened. I am glad it doesn't have the nightmare loading zone you mention. YIKES! That sounds horrible. Hmmm, gonna have to try the coffee. :-)

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput
06-19-2006, 11:34 AM
I really want to *love* IKEA, but this cart thing just irritated me. x( We did buy some really great things for DD! And I can definitely see myself going back.

elliput
I really want to *love* IKEA, but this cart thing just irritated me. x( We did buy some really great things for DD! And I can definitely see myself going back.

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

psophia17
06-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I've been to 2 Ikeas in Canada, and one in New Jersey, and none of them had a guard at the door to prevent you from using whatever cart you wanted to where-ever you wanted to, and one of these was a 3-level Ikea that had a parking garage on the bottom floor...

The coffee is good, and I often get the cheap but delicious thin cookies for DS (and myself). The hot dogs aren't bad, either :9

psophia17
I've been to 2 Ikeas in Canada, and one in New Jersey, and none of them had a guard at the door to prevent you from using whatever cart you wanted to where-ever you wanted to, and one of these was a 3-level Ikea that had a parking garage on the bottom floor...

The coffee is good, and I often get the cheap but delicious thin cookies for DS (and myself). The hot dogs aren't bad, either :9

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

DebbieJ
06-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Ooh, yeah. That Burbank IKEA is insane. Driving and parking aroudn that whole complex is an exercise in frustration.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

DebbieJ
Ooh, yeah. That Burbank IKEA is insane. Driving and parking aroudn that whole complex is an exercise in frustration.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

EllasMum
06-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Ditto for us - no trouble with the shopping carts - there are elevators to take you upstairs and they are HUGE. Plus you can happily take the carts anywhere you wish - although we do have the loading zones, but I think they are more for convenience, so much as 'regulations'. No security goons either!

Oh, and what about the cinnamon buns... and the Daim (which I am told is pronounced 'dime') chocolates... mmm... I had a good chuckle last time - I bought a bag of them and then realized I'd just bought a "dime bag" (haha - I don't *think* Ikea sells *that*!!) :)

Susan

ETC: spelling

EllasMum
Ditto for us - no trouble with the shopping carts - there are elevators to take you upstairs and they are HUGE. Plus you can happily take the carts anywhere you wish - although we do have the loading zones, but I think they are more for convenience, so much as 'regulations'. No security goons either!

Oh, and what about the cinnamon buns... and the Daim (which I am told is pronounced 'dime') chocolates... mmm... I had a good chuckle last time - I bought a bag of them and then realized I'd just bought a "dime bag" (haha - I don't *think* Ikea sells *that*!!) :)

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

EllasMum

Susan

Melanie
06-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Last time I was there there was a guard stopping people from bringing carts into the elevator.

Melanie
Last time I was there there was a guard stopping people from bringing carts into the elevator.

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

american_mama
06-21-2006, 12:05 AM
I think Daim is the same as the Skor bar, but it has a different name in Sweden because in Swedish, "skor" means shoe. Not too appetizing! It is pronounced "dime."

ALso, in Sweden, IKEA is pronounced "ick-ay-ah" with the ick sound rhyming with brick. In the US, an employee told me their official pronunciation is "eye-kee-ah." Random knowledge that will help no one. Really, really random knowledge: IKEA is indeed an acronym utilizing the intitials of the founder's name, the first letter of his hometown, and the first letter of his farm name, or something close to that.

I just had a marathon session at IKEA in Virginia this weekend. We had no problems with the carts, but as the OP said, once we got to the pictures and frames area, we did switch from the bag hanging from the cart to a traditional shopping cart. My brother also kept commenting on how much he liked the wheels on the carts (all sets swivel instead of just the front) until we were all loaded up at the end, and then it becomes hard to steer. Funny to read that someone else was scrutinizing the carts at IKEA!

american_mama
I think Daim is the same as the Skor bar, but it has a different name in Sweden because in Swedish, "skor" means shoe. Not too appetizing! It is pronounced "dime."

ALso, in Sweden, IKEA is pronounced "ick-ay-ah" with the ick sound rhyming with brick. In the US, an employee told me their official pronunciation is "eye-kee-ah." Random knowledge that will help no one. Really, really random knowledge: IKEA is indeed an acronym utilizing the intitials of the founder's name, the first letter of his hometown, and the first letter of his farm name, or something close to that.

I just had a marathon session at IKEA in Virginia this weekend. We had no problems with the carts, but as the OP said, once we got to the pictures and frames area, we did switch from the bag hanging from the cart to a traditional shopping cart. My brother also kept commenting on how much he liked the wheels on the carts (all sets swivel instead of just the front) until we were all loaded up at the end, and then it becomes hard to steer. Funny to read that someone else was scrutinizing the carts at IKEA!

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

elliput
06-21-2006, 07:20 AM
The 4-wheel steering was fun. I did like how easy the carts are to maneuver - that helped to keep DD entertained when she started to get fussy.

elliput
The 4-wheel steering was fun. I did like how easy the carts are to maneuver - that helped to keep DD entertained when she started to get fussy.

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

DebbieJ
06-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Hmmm....today it's raining and I am stuck inside with a 4.5 and 2.5 yo. Maybe we need to take a road trip!

I forsee a meatball lunch in my future. :)

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ
Hmmm....today it's raining and I am stuck inside with a 4.5 and 2.5 yo. Maybe we need to take a road trip!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

o_mom
06-21-2006, 08:30 AM
I HATE the 4-wheel steering! That darn cart just seems to want to go every which way.

o_mom
I HATE the 4-wheel steering! That darn cart just seems to want to go every which way.

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom

o_mom