PDA

View Full Version : What. The. &*$^!?!? My SIL is JEALOUS of my kid's health problems!

Splash
06-20-2006, 08:55 AM
My SIL said the other day that she was JEALOUS of us because Charlie was so sick as an infant and because he still has lingering health complications.
WHAT?!?!

She's JEALOUS of it? Of what? The heartache? The pain? The bills? The work? The outcome?

She says people pay so much attention to Charlie (and, by extension, us) because he's sick. That he gets extra attention and people plan things around him. That the family helps us out when he's in the hospital (uh, her mom let the dogs out ONCE and once brought us dinner. Other than that, my dad does all the 'helping'). That people ask her mom about Charlie more than about her kid because they want to know how he's doing health wise. That it's not fair and she wishes something was wrong with her kid too.

WHAT?!?!

I don't think anyone (outside of us) pays any more attention to Charlie than to her kid (who lives in another state). Okay, so we DO plan meals around what he (and us, we don't eat what he can't) can't eat. And yeah, people make sure not to come around him if they're really sick and we make sure to clean everything before he touches it. And everyone knows how to handle his meds and dress his wounds if need be.

She wants THAT? I'm jealous of her perfectly healthy (besides probably FAS) kid!

How on earth can someone be jealous of a sick child? I understand youg kids who are jealous of a sibling with cancer because Jimmy gets all mom and dad's attention... but kids don't 'get' what it means to be sick. They just see the extra attention. I can't imagine how any rational adult would be jealous of a sick individual, much less with that THEIR child was sick so that THEY could get all the attention.

I am baffled. Truly baffled. And pissed.

Splash
My SIL said the other day that she was JEALOUS of us because Charlie was so sick as an infant and because he still has lingering health complications.
WHAT?!?!

She's JEALOUS of it? Of what? The heartache? The pain? The bills? The work? The outcome?

She says people pay so much attention to Charlie (and, by extension, us) because he's sick. That he gets extra attention and people plan things around him. That the family helps us out when he's in the hospital (uh, her mom let the dogs out ONCE and once brought us dinner. Other than that, my dad does all the 'helping'). That people ask her mom about Charlie more than about her kid because they want to know how he's doing health wise. That it's not fair and she wishes something was wrong with her kid too.

WHAT?!?!

I don't think anyone (outside of us) pays any more attention to Charlie than to her kid (who lives in another state). Okay, so we DO plan meals around what he (and us, we don't eat what he can't) can't eat. And yeah, people make sure not to come around him if they're really sick and we make sure to clean everything before he touches it. And everyone knows how to handle his meds and dress his wounds if need be.

She wants THAT? I'm jealous of her perfectly healthy (besides probably FAS) kid!

How on earth can someone be jealous of a sick child? I understand youg kids who are jealous of a sibling with cancer because Jimmy gets all mom and dad's attention... but kids don't 'get' what it means to be sick. They just see the extra attention. I can't imagine how any rational adult would be jealous of a sick individual, much less with that THEIR child was sick so that THEY could get all the attention.

Splash
WHAT?!?!

WHAT?!?!

Splash
WHAT?!?!

WHAT?!?!

Splash
WHAT?!?!

WHAT?!?!

Splash
WHAT?!?!

WHAT?!?!

Splash
WHAT?!?!

WHAT?!?!

Splash
WHAT?!?!

WHAT?!?!

Splash
WHAT?!?!

WHAT?!?!

buddyleebaby
06-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Don't let her get to you. She sounds like a very ignorant person, and if she had any idea what it was like to have to watch your child suffer she would eat her words.
Of course, I hope she stays ignorant, because in this case, what's the alternative?

etaddaword

buddyleebaby
Don't let her get to you. She sounds like a very ignorant person, and if she had any idea what it was like to have to watch your child suffer she would eat her words.
Of course, I hope she stays ignorant, because in this case, what's the alternative?

etaddaword

buddyleebaby

etaddaword

buddyleebaby

etaddaword

buddyleebaby

etaddaword

buddyleebaby

etaddaword

buddyleebaby

etaddaword

buddyleebaby

etaddaword

buddyleebaby

etaddaword

nicoleandjackson
06-20-2006, 09:05 AM
"I can't imagine how any rational adult would be jealous of a sick individual..."

I think you just answered your own question ;). With everything you've posted about your SIL, she's neither the most rational nor the most adult person. How irritating for you (and Jean!).

((Hugs)) to you. Don't waste any energy being PO'd about this and just go love up your Chuzzle. This too shall pass...

Take care,

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

http://b5.lilypie.com/nD9Jm5.png

nicoleandjackson
"I can't imagine how any rational adult would be jealous of a sick individual..."

I think you just answered your own question ;). With everything you've posted about your SIL, she's neither the most rational nor the most adult person. How irritating for you (and Jean!).

((Hugs)) to you. Don't waste any energy being PO'd about this and just go love up your Chuzzle. This too shall pass...

Take care,

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Take care,

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Take care,

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Take care,

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Take care,

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Take care,

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Take care,

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson

Take care,

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

set81616
06-20-2006, 09:16 AM
I hope she doesn't have (or develop) Munchausen Syndrome. I knew someone who would make herself sick to get attention and I know there are cases of people who make their kids sick. Hopefully she's just immature and doesn't realize what she's saying.

Shannon

set81616
I hope she doesn't have (or develop) Munchausen Syndrome. I knew someone who would make herself sick to get attention and I know there are cases of people who make their kids sick. Hopefully she's just immature and doesn't realize what she's saying.

Shannon

set81616

Shannon

set81616

Shannon

set81616

Shannon

set81616

Shannon

set81616

Shannon

set81616

Shannon

set81616

Shannon

mommy_someday
06-20-2006, 09:18 AM
As I have thought after reading other posts about your SIL, she is FRIED. I wouldn't wish Charlie's condition on my worst enemy's child and certainly not my own. I'm sorry your SIL is continuing to inject her poison into your lives. It's definitely not something you need. (((hugs))) to all of you!

mommy_someday
As I have thought after reading other posts about your SIL, she is FRIED. I wouldn't wish Charlie's condition on my worst enemy's child and certainly not my own. I'm sorry your SIL is continuing to inject her poison into your lives. It's definitely not something you need. (((hugs))) to all of you!

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

Splash
06-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Oh yeah, and she's pregnant again. I haven't shared that here. I was hoping by not making it public, it would just go away on it's own (and I don't mean that to sound as horrible as it does). But she's having another kid. And she said she stopped drinking and started eating right because she wanted to be healthier for this one. I thought she was becoming normal. I guess not.

Splash
Oh yeah, and she's pregnant again. I haven't shared that here. I was hoping by not making it public, it would just go away on it's own (and I don't mean that to sound as horrible as it does). But she's having another kid. And she said she stopped drinking and started eating right because she wanted to be healthier for this one. I thought she was becoming normal. I guess not.

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

elliput
06-20-2006, 09:33 AM
She's got issues. Suggest counciling next time you see her.

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Absolutely freakish.
Splash can you post your link so we can see new pictures?

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Absolutely freakish.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Absolutely freakish.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Absolutely freakish.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Absolutely freakish.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Absolutely freakish.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Absolutely freakish.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Absolutely freakish.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Absolutely freakish.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

Splash
06-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Um... the old album is splashandwally.shutterfly.com. The password is chuzzle. I haven't updated it in a few weeks though :(

The rest of the pictures are in flickr. I have no clue what the link is, but my flickr handle is splashandwally, so you can look them up. A lot of them are friends/family only, but some are public. And if you want the sears pictures, I have to email an invite because that's the only way they allow it.

We're down to taking about 15-20 a day now... we're slacking ;)

Splash
Um... the old album is splashandwally.shutterfly.com. The password is chuzzle. I haven't updated it in a few weeks though :(

The rest of the pictures are in flickr. I have no clue what the link is, but my flickr handle is splashandwally, so you can look them up. A lot of them are friends/family only, but some are public. And if you want the sears pictures, I have to email an invite because that's the only way they allow it.

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Never was a more beautiful child, you made my day.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

MonicaH
06-20-2006, 11:40 AM
My mother's sister seemed to have the same reaction to my childhood (and adulthood) chronic illness. She never said it in so many words, but they have had many arguments that seem to stem from this issue. I have a medical problem and her son has a psychiatric problem and there seems to be this need to prove that one is "worse" than the other. (not to say that psychiatric diseases do not have a medical basis, just trying to contrast the issues)

Maybe she really resents how people must be saying, "Splash and her DP take such good care of Charlie, he has all these issues and they are totally on top of everything, they have done everything possible to get the best care for him" and she feels like the unsaid part is "Splash's SIL is a loser who doesn't take good care of her kid."

I think that this is probably more common than one would expect, because who WANTS to have a child with a lot of medical problems? But most people who think it probably do so deep down, quietly, and would never burden the parents of the ill child with this feeling, or even really admit it to themselves. It sounds like your SIL is honest (er, dysfunctional?) enough to let you know. I'm not trying to say that she should lay this burden on you, but I can see where it comes from.

Monica

MonicaH
My mother's sister seemed to have the same reaction to my childhood (and adulthood) chronic illness. She never said it in so many words, but they have had many arguments that seem to stem from this issue. I have a medical problem and her son has a psychiatric problem and there seems to be this need to prove that one is "worse" than the other. (not to say that psychiatric diseases do not have a medical basis, just trying to contrast the issues)

Maybe she really resents how people must be saying, "Splash and her DP take such good care of Charlie, he has all these issues and they are totally on top of everything, they have done everything possible to get the best care for him" and she feels like the unsaid part is "Splash's SIL is a loser who doesn't take good care of her kid."

I think that this is probably more common than one would expect, because who WANTS to have a child with a lot of medical problems? But most people who think it probably do so deep down, quietly, and would never burden the parents of the ill child with this feeling, or even really admit it to themselves. It sounds like your SIL is honest (er, dysfunctional?) enough to let you know. I'm not trying to say that she should lay this burden on you, but I can see where it comes from.

Monica

MonicaH

Monica

MonicaH

Monica

MonicaH

Monica

MonicaH

Monica

MonicaH

Monica

MonicaH

Monica

MonicaH

Monica

tina-t
06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
As a pp said, she has issues!!! I can't believe that she is jealous of the attention that a sick person gets.

tina-t
As a pp said, she has issues!!! I can't believe that she is jealous of the attention that a sick person gets.

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

KBecks
06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I guess it just shows that people's minds work in the strangest ways sometimes. It's bizarre "logic," very bizarre.

KBecks
I guess it just shows that people's minds work in the strangest ways sometimes. It's bizarre "logic," very bizarre.

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

Saartje
06-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Your SIL is sick and dysfunctional. Not that you didn't already know that. :(

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

jennabear
06-20-2006, 01:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

jennabear

jennabear

jennabear

jennabear

jennabear

jennabear

jennabear

jennabear

mamato1
06-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Geez some people! Well, if her kiddo truly is a FAS kiddo then she will get her wish for problems soon enough. I have had many FAS kids come through my office (I am a school counselor) and let me tell you, they suffer plenty.

Hope your Charlie is doing well!

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

mamato1
Geez some people! Well, if her kiddo truly is a FAS kiddo then she will get her wish for problems soon enough. I have had many FAS kids come through my office (I am a school counselor) and let me tell you, they suffer plenty.

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

mamato1

Chris

jal
06-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Wow, a lot of vicious replies aimed at this SIL!

Now either you're not very close with this SIL (i.e. she doesn't see and know of the day-to-day heartache/pain/bills/work) or she is truely ill.

I'm betting that she's just seeing that "the grass is greener", but because she doesn't live on your side of the fence, she doesn't see all the weeds. I's say cut her a little slack. I'm sure that if she was in your shoe and had the first hand knowledge of what your life is like, she would still be jealous of the attention you get, but she wouldn't want to trade places with you.

jal

Now either you're not very close with this SIL (i.e. she doesn't see and know of the day-to-day heartache/pain/bills/work) or she is truely ill.

I'm betting that she's just seeing that "the grass is greener", but because she doesn't live on your side of the fence, she doesn't see all the weeds. I's say cut her a little slack. I'm sure that if she was in your shoe and had the first hand knowledge of what your life is like, she would still be jealous of the attention you get, but she wouldn't want to trade places with you.

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

jal

Splash
06-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Oh no. She knows the day in day out crap. She just recently moved to Atlanta (from Tampa) but before that saw us weekly, if not more. We still see her every few weeks though.
I know she loves Charlie, and Zachary. But she KNOWS what Charlie goes through on a day to day basis, and she knows how bad things got for us (emotionally, financially, and otherwise) at the height of his 'we have no clue what is wrong with this child' days.

The other thing that gets me is Charlie is NOT sick. He has some manageable health concerns. Yes, it's a LOT of work and a lot of headache, but as long as we do our part as his parents to keep him healthy, he is just fine. Now if we slacked on the bathing and the bleaching and the meds and the diet, he WOULD be sick. But right now he's just a kid who has to work a little harder for his good health than most people. And it pisses me off when people talk about him being sick. Random strangers or otherwise non family members/close friends is one thing. But she knows how we will about the whole 'sick kid' scenario and that we NEVER want Charlie thinking he is sick or in any way different than most kids beyond what we know we have to manage. The fact that she still claims him to be sick upsets me.

Splash
Oh no. She knows the day in day out crap. She just recently moved to Atlanta (from Tampa) but before that saw us weekly, if not more. We still see her every few weeks though.
I know she loves Charlie, and Zachary. But she KNOWS what Charlie goes through on a day to day basis, and she knows how bad things got for us (emotionally, financially, and otherwise) at the height of his 'we have no clue what is wrong with this child' days.

The other thing that gets me is Charlie is NOT sick. He has some manageable health concerns. Yes, it's a LOT of work and a lot of headache, but as long as we do our part as his parents to keep him healthy, he is just fine. Now if we slacked on the bathing and the bleaching and the meds and the diet, he WOULD be sick. But right now he's just a kid who has to work a little harder for his good health than most people. And it pisses me off when people talk about him being sick. Random strangers or otherwise non family members/close friends is one thing. But she knows how we will about the whole 'sick kid' scenario and that we NEVER want Charlie thinking he is sick or in any way different than most kids beyond what we know we have to manage. The fact that she still claims him to be sick upsets me.

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

Splash

mommato2boys
06-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Your SIL is a loon!!!! Who is their right mind would WISH for a sick kid for the attention??? She's a NUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mommato2boys
Your SIL is a loon!!!! Who is their right mind would WISH for a sick kid for the attention??? She's a NUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mommato2boys

mommato2boys

mommato2boys

mommato2boys

mommato2boys

mommato2boys

mommato2boys

FiveLittleDucks
06-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Just agreeing with pps. She's crazy. Hope your darling Charlie stays well. He's a doll baby.

FiveLittleDucks
Just agreeing with pps. She's crazy. Hope your darling Charlie stays well. He's a doll baby.

FiveLittleDucks

FiveLittleDucks

FiveLittleDucks

FiveLittleDucks

FiveLittleDucks

FiveLittleDucks

FiveLittleDucks

julieakc
06-23-2006, 12:55 AM
I'd be baffled and pissed too...in fact I am and I don't even know your SIL!

As a mother of a special needs child myself I am painfully aware of the fact that is seems many parents out there take for granted their perfectly healthy children and/or worry about silly things. I overheard a parent at Gymboree once telling another parent that she was afraid her son wasn't going to be tall enough...it just burns me because some things mean so little....I just wanted to slap the mom and say "do you have any idea what you could be facing....you have a perfectly healthy child and if he's not as tall as your hubby would like so what!"

My goal is to do all I can to minimize the challenges that my DS will face and to make sure he's happy.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with Charlie and your SIL is just a nut job!

julieakc

As a mother of a special needs child myself I am painfully aware of the fact that is seems many parents out there take for granted their perfectly healthy children and/or worry about silly things. I overheard a parent at Gymboree once telling another parent that she was afraid her son wasn't going to be tall enough...it just burns me because some things mean so little....I just wanted to slap the mom and say "do you have any idea what you could be facing....you have a perfectly healthy child and if he's not as tall as your hubby would like so what!"

My goal is to do all I can to minimize the challenges that my DS will face and to make sure he's happy.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with Charlie and your SIL is just a nut job!

julieakc

julieakc

julieakc

julieakc

julieakc

julieakc

julieakc

Elilly
06-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Well said Julie! I've found that I now appreciate the little things and am no longer caught up in decorating my house or dressing my kids just so. I must say, because of Graham's issues(common variable immune deficiency and autism), I'm much more well adjusted but definitely more stressed!

Elilly
Well said Julie! I've found that I now appreciate the little things and am no longer caught up in decorating my house or dressing my kids just so. I must say, because of Graham's issues(common variable immune deficiency and autism), I'm much more well adjusted but definitely more stressed!

Elilly

Elilly

Elilly

Elilly

Elilly

Elilly

Elilly