PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy hormones or is it just rudeness?

noahsmommy
06-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Okay, maybe I'm just getting riled up for no reason, but I didn't know people could be so insensitive to pregnant women. In the last month I have been the recipient of at least a few comments per week on my size. First of all, I'm not very big to begin with, normally of avg weight at 5'0. Initally, it was just a little wierd. Now it's just plain annoying! I was at the Gap last night, and the sales lady asks the typical question, "Oh, when are you due?". I answer the usually, "Oh, in about 6 weeks, I'm expecting a girl.". She promptly gasps, "NO! I don't think so! What do you have in there? Twins? Are you sure it's just one?"

Now, I don't care how much weight any pregnant woman gains in her preganancy, it's just plain rude to be so implicating. Yes, I've gained more weight with this one than my first one (I gained 32 with my DH, now I'm at 35# at 33 weeks with DD), but goodness! Is it really that awful? I didn't think so...

I've gotten this type of commentary everywhere! Restuarants, sales people, the postman, my mother's friends, even my FIL...Arrrgh! It's quite irritating. I almost feel like making a direct comment back, but I know it's just not worth it.

Well, I never have posted on this section, but I really had to let off some steam - KWIM?

Ann

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogard20040519_-6_Noah+is.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/car220np___.png[/img][/url]

noahsmommy
Okay, maybe I'm just getting riled up for no reason, but I didn't know people could be so insensitive to pregnant women. In the last month I have been the recipient of at least a few comments per week on my size. First of all, I'm not very big to begin with, normally of avg weight at 5'0. Initally, it was just a little wierd. Now it's just plain annoying! I was at the Gap last night, and the sales lady asks the typical question, "Oh, when are you due?". I answer the usually, "Oh, in about 6 weeks, I'm expecting a girl.". She promptly gasps, "NO! I don't think so! What do you have in there? Twins? Are you sure it's just one?"

Now, I don't care how much weight any pregnant woman gains in her preganancy, it's just plain rude to be so implicating. Yes, I've gained more weight with this one than my first one (I gained 32 with my DH, now I'm at 35# at 33 weeks with DD), but goodness! Is it really that awful? I didn't think so...

I've gotten this type of commentary everywhere! Restuarants, sales people, the postman, my mother's friends, even my FIL...Arrrgh! It's quite irritating. I almost feel like making a direct comment back, but I know it's just not worth it.

Well, I never have posted on this section, but I really had to let off some steam - KWIM?

Ann

noahsmommy

Ann

noahsmommy

Ann

noahsmommy

Ann

noahsmommy

Ann

noahsmommy

Ann

noahsmommy

Ann

noahsmommy

Ann

KBecks
06-21-2006, 03:59 PM
I've gotten a lot of it too -- esp. from guys at work who have no problem saying I'm *huge* along with the slightly disgusted look on their faces. True as it may be, it's not easy to hear. (I'm personally afriad that my post-pregnancy body will not be that much smaller!)

I don't know the answer if it's rudeness or hormones. I think its a mix of both. I think people generally don't realize that a lot of what they say to pregnant women really doesn't come across that well.

Hang in there!

KBecks
I've gotten a lot of it too -- esp. from guys at work who have no problem saying I'm *huge* along with the slightly disgusted look on their faces. True as it may be, it's not easy to hear. (I'm personally afriad that my post-pregnancy body will not be that much smaller!)

I don't know the answer if it's rudeness or hormones. I think its a mix of both. I think people generally don't realize that a lot of what they say to pregnant women really doesn't come across that well.

Hang in there!

KBecks

Hang in there!

KBecks

Hang in there!

KBecks

Hang in there!

KBecks

Hang in there!

KBecks

Hang in there!

KBecks

Hang in there!

KBecks

Hang in there!

HHCs Mom
06-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I am convinced that people just feel free to say whatever to a pregnant woman! Not like they'd tell someone who is overweight that they are HUGE, but it's perfectly ok with a pregnant woman?!? My MIL was the worst offender and constantly told me how big I was getting. Um, I gained 30lbs with DS and I'm 5'11" so I hid the weight very well. I was not huge but she made me feel like a cow with her comments. Rest assured that her snarky remarks will be headed off at the pass when we have another child! Grrrr....

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

HHCs Mom
I am convinced that people just feel free to say whatever to a pregnant woman! Not like they'd tell someone who is overweight that they are HUGE, but it's perfectly ok with a pregnant woman?!? My MIL was the worst offender and constantly told me how big I was getting. Um, I gained 30lbs with DS and I'm 5'11" so I hid the weight very well. I was not huge but she made me feel like a cow with her comments. Rest assured that her snarky remarks will be headed off at the pass when we have another child! Grrrr....

Kim

HHCs Mom

Kim

HHCs Mom

Kim

HHCs Mom

Kim

HHCs Mom

Kim

HHCs Mom

Kim

HHCs Mom

Kim

HHCs Mom

Kim

elliput
06-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Say whatever you like back to these people, then follow it up with something like "oops, that must have been the hormones talking", smile sweetly, and calmly walk away. }(

elliput
Say whatever you like back to these people, then follow it up with something like "oops, that must have been the hormones talking", smile sweetly, and calmly walk away. }(

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

pb&j
06-21-2006, 08:02 PM
The only appropriate comment about a pregnant woman's appearance is "you're glowing, you look great, you're all belly." I got the twins thing all the time, starting at about 18 weeks. It got really old. I always wanted to say "are you sure it's not twins on your a**?" but never could bring myself to do it.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

pb&j
The only appropriate comment about a pregnant woman's appearance is "you're glowing, you look great, you're all belly." I got the twins thing all the time, starting at about 18 weeks. It got really old. I always wanted to say "are you sure it's not twins on your a**?" but never could bring myself to do it.

-Ry,
and Max, 01/05/06

pb&j

-Ry,
and Max, 01/05/06

pb&j

-Ry,
and Max, 01/05/06

pb&j

-Ry,
and Max, 01/05/06

pb&j

-Ry,
and Max, 01/05/06

pb&j

-Ry,
and Max, 01/05/06

pb&j

-Ry,
and Max, 01/05/06

pb&j

-Ry,
and Max, 01/05/06

randomkid
06-21-2006, 10:09 PM
I think people just want to think that pregnant women are "huge". I had horrible nausea and vomiting when I was pregnant and actually lost weight in my first trimester. Some people were already saying how big I was getting - what?!? I lost weight you idiot! I only gained about 25-30 pounds and I am 5'7". I got the twins thing, too. I just didn't let it get to me because I knew it wasn't true and I really didn't care what other people thought or said. Just ignore it...and I like Erica's idea, but really I just didn't waste my time with it. I just would smile and say something like, "Well, yeah, I'm 9 months pregnant!"

Edited for a correction.

randomkid
I think people just want to think that pregnant women are "huge". I had horrible nausea and vomiting when I was pregnant and actually lost weight in my first trimester. Some people were already saying how big I was getting - what?!? I lost weight you idiot! I only gained about 25-30 pounds and I am 5'7". I got the twins thing, too. I just didn't let it get to me because I knew it wasn't true and I really didn't care what other people thought or said. Just ignore it...and I like Erica's idea, but really I just didn't waste my time with it. I just would smile and say something like, "Well, yeah, I'm 9 months pregnant!"

Edited for a correction.

randomkid

Edited for a correction.

randomkid

Edited for a correction.

randomkid

Edited for a correction.

randomkid

Edited for a correction.

randomkid

Edited for a correction.

randomkid

Edited for a correction.

randomkid

Edited for a correction.

tina-t
06-22-2006, 12:47 AM
It is very irritating but I usually try to ignore it.

I like Erica's suggestion too :)

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tiapam
06-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Twins on your a**! I like that! I think for strangers you should just say your baby is due tomorrow, so of course you are big.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam
Twins on your a**! I like that! I think for strangers you should just say your baby is due tomorrow, so of course you are big.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

tiapam

-Pam

DD - One year old!

bubbaray
06-22-2006, 11:09 PM
How about "Yeah, well at least I have an excuse" and walk away.

I always wanted to use that line when I was PG with DD (I gained 55lbs and my OB was just fine with that).

People are so rude.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

bubbaray

I always wanted to use that line when I was PG with DD (I gained 55lbs and my OB was just fine with that).

People are so rude.

Melissa

bubbaray

People are so rude.

Melissa

bubbaray

People are so rude.

Melissa

bubbaray

People are so rude.

Melissa

bubbaray

People are so rude.

Melissa

bubbaray

People are so rude.

Melissa

bubbaray

People are so rude.

Melissa

bubbaray

People are so rude.

Melissa

khalloc
06-27-2006, 03:22 PM
My FIL used to ask me "Do you feel fat yet?" on a regular basis. Once he did it after my baby shower. I felt like kicking him. I said "No, I feel pregnant" and my husband went on to ream him out. He said he "thinks its cute". Whatever! I still dont like being asked if I feel fat!

khalloc
My FIL used to ask me "Do you feel fat yet?" on a regular basis. Once he did it after my baby shower. I felt like kicking him. I said "No, I feel pregnant" and my husband went on to ream him out. He said he "thinks its cute". Whatever! I still dont like being asked if I feel fat!

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc