PDA

View Full Version : Brittney Spears has nothing on me

jarrettsmom9705
06-25-2006, 12:10 AM
If there was an award for the worst mother ever I'd win hands down. Yesterday, I had to run an errand for work and took my 10 month old son with me. Long story short, I went to the wrong building and had to get back in the car to go to another location. Just as I was putting DS in his carseat I got a call on my cell phone from my sister. As I was explaining the situation to her, I finished buckling him in and closed the car door. Just as the door closed I reached for the handle to open it again since I left the keys at the foot of the car seat. Yes, you guessed it. Click. DS had already grabbed them, pushed the button and locked the door.

After seeing me crying hysterically, the receptionist in the office realized what happened and immediately called 911. Needless to say, they did get him out after breaking a window. Although he was perfectly ok during the whole ordeal (he just sat chewing on my keys and smiling at the twenty or so people staring at him through the window), I was a wreck. I felt like the worst mother that ever lived. I thought sure that the police would report me to CFS.

Besides feeling completely helpless and distraught over the whole ordeal, I was worried about what DH would say. He is so protective of DS that sometimes he makes me feel as if I'm neglecting our child. I know he doesn't mean to, but he sometimes questions my decisions. Up to yesterday, I felt he had no right to do this, but now I feel that he may be right. That I may not be taking care of DS as I should.

If I were Brittney Spears, I'd be all over the news today. Oops, she did it again.

TWWM,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
If there was an award for the worst mother ever I'd win hands down. Yesterday, I had to run an errand for work and took my 10 month old son with me. Long story short, I went to the wrong building and had to get back in the car to go to another location. Just as I was putting DS in his carseat I got a call on my cell phone from my sister. As I was explaining the situation to her, I finished buckling him in and closed the car door. Just as the door closed I reached for the handle to open it again since I left the keys at the foot of the car seat. Yes, you guessed it. Click. DS had already grabbed them, pushed the button and locked the door.

After seeing me crying hysterically, the receptionist in the office realized what happened and immediately called 911. Needless to say, they did get him out after breaking a window. Although he was perfectly ok during the whole ordeal (he just sat chewing on my keys and smiling at the twenty or so people staring at him through the window), I was a wreck. I felt like the worst mother that ever lived. I thought sure that the police would report me to CFS.

Besides feeling completely helpless and distraught over the whole ordeal, I was worried about what DH would say. He is so protective of DS that sometimes he makes me feel as if I'm neglecting our child. I know he doesn't mean to, but he sometimes questions my decisions. Up to yesterday, I felt he had no right to do this, but now I feel that he may be right. That I may not be taking care of DS as I should.

If I were Brittney Spears, I'd be all over the news today. Oops, she did it again.

TWWM,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

TWWM,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

TWWM,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

TWWM,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

TWWM,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

TWWM,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

TWWM,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

TWWM,
Tracy

buddyleebaby
06-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Don't feel like a bad mom. It could happen to ANYONE. (One second of "mommy brain" is all it takes.) It must have been scary because he was in a potentially dangerous situation, but thank God he's ok. Count your blessings and continue being the great mom you are.

buddyleebaby
Don't feel like a bad mom. It could happen to ANYONE. (One second of "mommy brain" is all it takes.) It must have been scary because he was in a potentially dangerous situation, but thank God he's ok. Count your blessings and continue being the great mom you are.

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

katerinasmom
06-25-2006, 12:42 AM
I can totally understand your distress. But rest assured, you did nothing to put your son in harm's way and there is no reason why anyone, including your DH, should question your decisions when it comes to your son's safety. Your distress alone assures me that your son's safety and well being are foremost in your thoughts. Things like this happen to everyone. You did not purposefully do anything to endanger your son and you never left him alone. I am confident that if it was necessary, you would have broken that car window yourself to get your son out if he was in any real danger.
This will make a good story in about a week or two - after the car window is repaired and you can look back and laugh at the whole thing. For now, you, your son and your husband should chalk it up to experience, give your son a big hug and get a nice big chain to hang your keys around your neck. :)

katerinasmom
I can totally understand your distress. But rest assured, you did nothing to put your son in harm's way and there is no reason why anyone, including your DH, should question your decisions when it comes to your son's safety. Your distress alone assures me that your son's safety and well being are foremost in your thoughts. Things like this happen to everyone. You did not purposefully do anything to endanger your son and you never left him alone. I am confident that if it was necessary, you would have broken that car window yourself to get your son out if he was in any real danger.
This will make a good story in about a week or two - after the car window is repaired and you can look back and laugh at the whole thing. For now, you, your son and your husband should chalk it up to experience, give your son a big hug and get a nice big chain to hang your keys around your neck. :)

katerinasmom

katerinasmom

katerinasmom

katerinasmom

katerinasmom

katerinasmom

katerinasmom

kijip
06-25-2006, 04:25 AM
Hugs, that is really stressful sounding. I am glad that it was over relativly fast. they are not going to report you to CFS- they save that for the people that do it intentionally for long periods or the bozos that won't let them break the window because they are worried about the car. grrrrrr ;)

You have my sympathy. I know that it does not make you are bad parent AT ALL. On the bright side you are not prone to doing this! My husband is a great father and the pop-a-lock person that our roadside assistance sends knows him by name. LOL. Only by the grace of the parenting gods did he manage to get through Toby's babyhood without locking him in the car, however once he did lock himself and toby out of the car and the diapers in the car and they had to wait for the locksmith in a very stinky diaper :(. As it his, he did lock him in the car a few weeks ago but toby is old enough to reach the door lock and understand that he needs to open it NOW. LOL. J's big problem is locking his keys in the trunk. He has done this 2-4 times per year since we bought the car 4 years ago. GULP.

kijip
Hugs, that is really stressful sounding. I am glad that it was over relativly fast. they are not going to report you to CFS- they save that for the people that do it intentionally for long periods or the bozos that won't let them break the window because they are worried about the car. grrrrrr ;)

You have my sympathy. I know that it does not make you are bad parent AT ALL. On the bright side you are not prone to doing this! My husband is a great father and the pop-a-lock person that our roadside assistance sends knows him by name. LOL. Only by the grace of the parenting gods did he manage to get through Toby's babyhood without locking him in the car, however once he did lock himself and toby out of the car and the diapers in the car and they had to wait for the locksmith in a very stinky diaper :(. As it his, he did lock him in the car a few weeks ago but toby is old enough to reach the door lock and understand that he needs to open it NOW. LOL. J's big problem is locking his keys in the trunk. He has done this 2-4 times per year since we bought the car 4 years ago. GULP.

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

kijip

annasmom
06-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Oh Tracy, PLEASE do not be too hard on yourself. I know several people to whom this has happened. It is really scary, especially if you live somewhere that is hot. Thank goodness the receptionist was so quick thinking and called 911. It could happen to me every single time I get my dc into the car because I always put my keys on the seat next to the carseat when I am putting them into their carseats, and often have to go back into the car to get them.

I once locked my dc in my house! I was helping my dh get something out of his car, and closed the garage door behind me. The second I did, I knew it was locked. We had to run to our neighbors and call 911. Luckily my nanny was only 5 minutes away, and both of my dc were strapped in the seats eating breakfast so we could see them so we didn't have to break a window. I too thought the police would call CFS, but they were very kind.

Big (((HUGS))) to you!!

annasmom
Oh Tracy, PLEASE do not be too hard on yourself. I know several people to whom this has happened. It is really scary, especially if you live somewhere that is hot. Thank goodness the receptionist was so quick thinking and called 911. It could happen to me every single time I get my dc into the car because I always put my keys on the seat next to the carseat when I am putting them into their carseats, and often have to go back into the car to get them.

I once locked my dc in my house! I was helping my dh get something out of his car, and closed the garage door behind me. The second I did, I knew it was locked. We had to run to our neighbors and call 911. Luckily my nanny was only 5 minutes away, and both of my dc were strapped in the seats eating breakfast so we could see them so we didn't have to break a window. I too thought the police would call CFS, but they were very kind.

Big (((HUGS))) to you!!

annasmom

Big (((HUGS))) to you!!

annasmom

Big (((HUGS))) to you!!

annasmom

Big (((HUGS))) to you!!

annasmom

Big (((HUGS))) to you!!

annasmom

Big (((HUGS))) to you!!

annasmom

Big (((HUGS))) to you!!

annasmom

Big (((HUGS))) to you!!

lablover
06-25-2006, 06:53 AM
I know two separate people who have done the same thing. One couple was traveling on vacation and had stopped at a gas station halfway down when the keys were locked inside. Don't fret over it - things like this just happen to the best of us sometimes!

lablover
I know two separate people who have done the same thing. One couple was traveling on vacation and had stopped at a gas station halfway down when the keys were locked inside. Don't fret over it - things like this just happen to the best of us sometimes!

lablover

lablover

lablover

lablover

lablover

lablover

lablover

kep
06-25-2006, 02:13 PM
>It could happen to me every single time I get my dc into the car
>because I always put my keys on the seat next to the carseat
>when I am putting them into their carseats, and often have to
>go back into the car to get them.

Me, too!

You are a terrific mommy! This was totally not your fault. It's called an accident. :)

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)
And a new baby due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://bd.lilypie.com/8dPKm4/.png

http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

kep

Me, too!

You are a terrific mommy! This was totally not your fault. It's called an accident. :)

Kelli

kep

Me, too!

Kelli

kep

Me, too!

Kelli

kep

Me, too!

Kelli

kep

Me, too!

Kelli

kep

Me, too!

Kelli

kep

Me, too!

Kelli

kep

Me, too!

Kelli

chiqanita
06-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Oh don't you dare feel bad about your mothering mama! It was a moment that almost every person who carries keys has experienced in one way or another, yours just happened in the car and DS was locked inside. I thought you were going to say one of you caught your hands in the door and I am so thankful that wasn't the case.

Let me just add that I've had a few 'mommy brain' moments that I also considered 'bad mommy' moments. One that really sticks out, I have twin sons, I put DSa into his seat and buckled him in. I put DSb into his seat and got distracted by DSa who threw his bottle out of the van....I left his door open but we were still in my garage. I got in, closed all doors with automatic button and headed to the store. Got there, took DSa out and buckled him into the stroller. Walked around to DSb's side to find him standing at the door as it opened...I DIDN'T BUCKLE HIM INTO HIS SEAT! I was so bothered by this I hugged him for a good long while. He was all smiles. I must've NOT buckled him in back in the garage. What a DUMBARSE! Anyway, that was my moment, of many I'm sure.

God bless and protect my toddlers especially when I fall short!

chiqanita
Oh don't you dare feel bad about your mothering mama! It was a moment that almost every person who carries keys has experienced in one way or another, yours just happened in the car and DS was locked inside. I thought you were going to say one of you caught your hands in the door and I am so thankful that wasn't the case.

Let me just add that I've had a few 'mommy brain' moments that I also considered 'bad mommy' moments. One that really sticks out, I have twin sons, I put DSa into his seat and buckled him in. I put DSb into his seat and got distracted by DSa who threw his bottle out of the van....I left his door open but we were still in my garage. I got in, closed all doors with automatic button and headed to the store. Got there, took DSa out and buckled him into the stroller. Walked around to DSb's side to find him standing at the door as it opened...I DIDN'T BUCKLE HIM INTO HIS SEAT! I was so bothered by this I hugged him for a good long while. He was all smiles. I must've NOT buckled him in back in the garage. What a DUMBARSE! Anyway, that was my moment, of many I'm sure.

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

mamato1
06-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Tracy-

Please do not be so hard on yourself. You made a simple mistake that could happen to any of us. Parenting is an art not a science. The simple fact that your DS was fine and smiling speaks volumes to me about the kind of parent you are. You are raising a smart, self-assured human being! Mistakes will happen, get over them. Rejoice in the things you do right, they far outnumber the mistakes.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/16/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

mamato1
Tracy-

Please do not be so hard on yourself. You made a simple mistake that could happen to any of us. Parenting is an art not a science. The simple fact that your DS was fine and smiling speaks volumes to me about the kind of parent you are. You are raising a smart, self-assured human being! Mistakes will happen, get over them. Rejoice in the things you do right, they far outnumber the mistakes.

Chris

mamato1
Tracy-

Chris

mamato1
Tracy-

Chris

mamato1
Tracy-

Chris

mamato1
Tracy-

Chris

mamato1
Tracy-

Chris

mamato1
Tracy-

Chris

mamato1
Tracy-

Chris

KBecks
06-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Don't worry about it. I'm glad that your DS is safe and that it all turned out all right.

I'm sorry that you have a broken window now though!!! That stinks in terms of $ to repair.

Anyway, your DS is OK and didn't suffer at all. (Though it sounds like you suffered a lot!!!)

Just don't answer the cell phone from now on. :)

I know how it feels whenever a DH makes a comment about how a mom is doing raising the kids. But, you are doing fine. The very same thing could have happened to ANYONE!!!

KBecks
Don't worry about it. I'm glad that your DS is safe and that it all turned out all right.

I'm sorry that you have a broken window now though!!! That stinks in terms of $ to repair.

Anyway, your DS is OK and didn't suffer at all. (Though it sounds like you suffered a lot!!!)

I know how it feels whenever a DH makes a comment about how a mom is doing raising the kids. But, you are doing fine. The very same thing could have happened to ANYONE!!!

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

JTsMom
06-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Ditto everyone- don't be so hard on yourself, it could have happened to any of us! That's my biggest fear. I'm always wondering if I'd be able to find something to break a window with quickly enough, b/c down here it gets hot enough to literally kill a baby locked inside of a car w/ no A/C on.

Big hugs, and thank goodness everything worked out ok!

JTsMom
Ditto everyone- don't be so hard on yourself, it could have happened to any of us! That's my biggest fear. I'm always wondering if I'd be able to find something to break a window with quickly enough, b/c down here it gets hot enough to literally kill a baby locked inside of a car w/ no A/C on.

JTsMom

JTsMom

JTsMom

JTsMom

JTsMom

JTsMom

JTsMom

jarrettsmom9705
06-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks to everyone for their kind responses and reassurance that I'm in fact NOT the world's worst mother. I do feel better now that I've had a bit of time to recover. However, I have warned DH that he is not to tell his friends about the incident since they would never let me forget it. It would come up in ANY conversation from now on (ex: "Oh, so you guys are going to Disney for vacation, huh? Well, you better not lock DS in the car again!") :)

For those of you who mentioned the hot weather, that is what really got me hysterical because we live in Florida and it was 95 degrees Friday and that wasn't counting the humidity! That's why I wanted them to not fool around with trying to jimy the door locks and just go ahead and break the @#%* window! He didn't suffer heat exhaustion because it was a total of only about 5 minutes before they got him out (fortunately, we were less than a mile away from a police station AND fire station). Just sweating a little bit and I got him into the air-conditioned office PRONTO and gave him some water to drink. However, I had DH go yesterday morning, first thing, and buy one of those magnetic key boxes and stuck it under the back bumper just in case that ever happens again.

The window repair is a big pain but I guess it will help me remember from now on not to let DS get a hold of my keys again or talk on my cell phone while buckling him in. I do feel a bit white-trashy driving around with a cardboard window, however!:P

Thanks you guys for all the support,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
Thanks to everyone for their kind responses and reassurance that I'm in fact NOT the world's worst mother. I do feel better now that I've had a bit of time to recover. However, I have warned DH that he is not to tell his friends about the incident since they would never let me forget it. It would come up in ANY conversation from now on (ex: "Oh, so you guys are going to Disney for vacation, huh? Well, you better not lock DS in the car again!") :)

For those of you who mentioned the hot weather, that is what really got me hysterical because we live in Florida and it was 95 degrees Friday and that wasn't counting the humidity! That's why I wanted them to not fool around with trying to jimy the door locks and just go ahead and break the @#%* window! He didn't suffer heat exhaustion because it was a total of only about 5 minutes before they got him out (fortunately, we were less than a mile away from a police station AND fire station). Just sweating a little bit and I got him into the air-conditioned office PRONTO and gave him some water to drink. However, I had DH go yesterday morning, first thing, and buy one of those magnetic key boxes and stuck it under the back bumper just in case that ever happens again.

The window repair is a big pain but I guess it will help me remember from now on not to let DS get a hold of my keys again or talk on my cell phone while buckling him in. I do feel a bit white-trashy driving around with a cardboard window, however!:P

Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Tracy

nov04
06-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Don't even worry about this!!!! I did almost the same thing. Turned on the car because it was hot so a/c could cool the car, put dd in her seat then walked aroudn car to driver side so we could go. For some reason, the driver side never unlocked (when I unlocked pass. side) as it always does.

So I have my 10m in a car that's running, a/c full blast on a hot day. I was absolutely hysterical. I sent a store employee back into the store to call 911 and they were able to break into my car.

The absolutely embarrassing part was that my high school crush (he knew it too) was one of the firefighters who responded. I was quickly questioned by a police officer to make sure I hadn't just left her so I could shop. He determined that I hadn't and everything was fine.

it's a simple mistake, that's all. In a way I'm glad I made it because it was harmless and I'm much more careful about making sure the doors are unlocked when I walked around the car.

nov04
Don't even worry about this!!!! I did almost the same thing. Turned on the car because it was hot so a/c could cool the car, put dd in her seat then walked aroudn car to driver side so we could go. For some reason, the driver side never unlocked (when I unlocked pass. side) as it always does.

So I have my 10m in a car that's running, a/c full blast on a hot day. I was absolutely hysterical. I sent a store employee back into the store to call 911 and they were able to break into my car.

The absolutely embarrassing part was that my high school crush (he knew it too) was one of the firefighters who responded. I was quickly questioned by a police officer to make sure I hadn't just left her so I could shop. He determined that I hadn't and everything was fine.

it's a simple mistake, that's all. In a way I'm glad I made it because it was harmless and I'm much more careful about making sure the doors are unlocked when I walked around the car.

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

mommy_someday
06-26-2006, 12:19 PM
It was an *accident*. You didn't purposely lock your baby in the car, so it definitely doesn't make you a bad mom. You're human just like the rest of us who have inadvertently let our children get hurt. FTR, while in my care my DS has:

-Fallen off a bed within my arm's reach
-Fallen off a plastic stepstool in the kitchen
-Smashed his fingers in cabinet doors
-Gotten his leg wedged in between his crib slats
-and a host of other bumps, bruises and swallowed foreign objects.

Do I think I'm a bad mom? Yeah, sometimes I question my abilities, but that's normal. Cut yourself some slack, mama. We all make mistakes, but the fact that we love our DC to the ends of the earth and would move mountains to protect them means that we ARE good parents. (((hugs))) to you. I hope the memories of this scary moment fade soon for you.

mommy_someday
It was an *accident*. You didn't purposely lock your baby in the car, so it definitely doesn't make you a bad mom. You're human just like the rest of us who have inadvertently let our children get hurt. FTR, while in my care my DS has:

Do I think I'm a bad mom? Yeah, sometimes I question my abilities, but that's normal. Cut yourself some slack, mama. We all make mistakes, but the fact that we love our DC to the ends of the earth and would move mountains to protect them means that we ARE good parents. (((hugs))) to you. I hope the memories of this scary moment fade soon for you.

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

candybomiller
06-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Nope, BS is still worse.

Now, to make you smile:

About two years ago, my dh locked himself out of the RUNNING car. Talk about feeling stupid! Now he carries a spare car key in his wallet. I can still hear the car unlocky guy snickering... ;)

candybomiller
Nope, BS is still worse.

Now, to make you smile:

About two years ago, my dh locked himself out of the RUNNING car. Talk about feeling stupid! Now he carries a spare car key in his wallet. I can still hear the car unlocky guy snickering... ;)

candybomiller
Nope, BS is still worse.

Now, to make you smile:

candybomiller
Nope, BS is still worse.

Now, to make you smile:

candybomiller
Nope, BS is still worse.

Now, to make you smile:

candybomiller
Nope, BS is still worse.

Now, to make you smile:

candybomiller
Nope, BS is still worse.

Now, to make you smile:

candybomiller
Nope, BS is still worse.

Now, to make you smile:

candybomiller
Nope, BS is still worse.

Now, to make you smile:

kelly ann
06-26-2006, 05:04 PM
We (okay...it was really DH) did this at Disneyworld on Christmas Day - before we had kids. Believe it or not, the Disney guy said it happens all the time in their parking lots. He said most people don't even realize until they come back to their cars at night and they can't find their keys! Right before we left the car to head towards the park, I remember asking DH where that music was coming from and he said the car. Hmmm...

kelly ann
We (okay...it was really DH) did this at Disneyworld on Christmas Day - before we had kids. Believe it or not, the Disney guy said it happens all the time in their parking lots. He said most people don't even realize until they come back to their cars at night and they can't find their keys! Right before we left the car to head towards the park, I remember asking DH where that music was coming from and he said the car. Hmmm...

kelly ann

kelly ann

kelly ann

kelly ann

kelly ann

kelly ann

kelly ann

dr mom
06-27-2006, 09:59 PM
I had a similar misadventure.

When DS was 10 months old, DH had a business trip to Hawaii (whee!) so naturally DS and I tagged along. The morning of our departure, we dragged ourselves out of bed in the early predawn hours for the long drive to the airport. While we were unloading the suitcases from the backseat of the car in the airport parking garage, DH realized that he had accidentally locked his keys - and DS! - in the car.

It was January in North Carolina, it was below-freezing, we had a plane to catch...and my baby was locked in the car!

I waved and made silly faces through the car window at DS to keep him from melting down, while DH rigged a makeshift pole to reach through the ski door into his trunk and pry the door locks open. We missed our flight to Hawaii.

It's not bad parenting at all, it's just Mommy brain. :)

dr mom

When DS was 10 months old, DH had a business trip to Hawaii (whee!) so naturally DS and I tagged along. The morning of our departure, we dragged ourselves out of bed in the early predawn hours for the long drive to the airport. While we were unloading the suitcases from the backseat of the car in the airport parking garage, DH realized that he had accidentally locked his keys - and DS! - in the car.

It was January in North Carolina, it was below-freezing, we had a plane to catch...and my baby was locked in the car!

I waved and made silly faces through the car window at DS to keep him from melting down, while DH rigged a makeshift pole to reach through the ski door into his trunk and pry the door locks open. We missed our flight to Hawaii.

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

american_mama
06-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Oh, Cindy, that's a story. What's a ski door? A missed flight to Hawaii... that would be painful... and expensive... I hope you still got to go.

To the original poster, I agree with what everyone said: in one way or another, it happens to everyone who owns keys. It's happened to me, so please take this unsolicited tip as an attempt to help, not inflict guilt. Do you have a plastic link from a set of links that your child may have played with as an infant? If so, hook one into your keychain so you can hook it on your waistband or neckline. Few of my clothes have pockets, and this makes it easier for me to have a place to stash my keys. Even with this, I do still put my car keys next to the car seat when buckling DD2 in, but the link helps me many other times.

A carbiner thing would do the same thing. Walmart sells mini carbiners for like $2 in their camping department.

american_mama
Oh, Cindy, that's a story. What's a ski door? A missed flight to Hawaii... that would be painful... and expensive... I hope you still got to go.

To the original poster, I agree with what everyone said: in one way or another, it happens to everyone who owns keys. It's happened to me, so please take this unsolicited tip as an attempt to help, not inflict guilt. Do you have a plastic link from a set of links that your child may have played with as an infant? If so, hook one into your keychain so you can hook it on your waistband or neckline. Few of my clothes have pockets, and this makes it easier for me to have a place to stash my keys. Even with this, I do still put my car keys next to the car seat when buckling DD2 in, but the link helps me many other times.

A carbiner thing would do the same thing. Walmart sells mini carbiners for like $2 in their camping department.

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

dr mom
06-29-2006, 06:44 PM
The ski door is an itty bitty flap that opens from the trunk into the backseat so that skis and poles can be laid in the trunk, but protruding partway into the car. It is NOT big enough to crawl through, although I did certainly give it my best effort. ;)

All was well in the end, we made it to Hawaii (albeit late at night and in the pouring rain) and it was the best vacation ever.

dr mom
The ski door is an itty bitty flap that opens from the trunk into the backseat so that skis and poles can be laid in the trunk, but protruding partway into the car. It is NOT big enough to crawl through, although I did certainly give it my best effort. ;)

All was well in the end, we made it to Hawaii (albeit late at night and in the pouring rain) and it was the best vacation ever.

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

jerseygirl07067
06-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Oh Tracy, you're a great mom, it was just an accident!! At least you'll probably never do it again!

This will make you feel much better...when Julia was 8 months old she fell off of a high surface that I put her on...and broke her femur!! I sat her on the dryer and was holding her while putting her jacket on, prior to going out through the garage. I then reached for my own jacket, and lost of hold of her accidentally for a split second. It was HORRIBLE!! I'm actually having flashbacks as I write this. It looked like her head hit the floor first and I was convinced she was going to have a brain injury from it. So we took her to the ER and the head CT was negative, thank goodness. But the next morning I noticed she was crying every time I moved her leg to change her diaper. Sure enough, she had a fractured distal femur and had to be casted for two weeks.

Once she was casted it didn't phase her. She would sit happily and bang toys on her cast.

So pass your worst mommy of the year award right on over to me, because unfortunately I won it. :(

Marcy

jerseygirl07067
Oh Tracy, you're a great mom, it was just an accident!! At least you'll probably never do it again!

This will make you feel much better...when Julia was 8 months old she fell off of a high surface that I put her on...and broke her femur!! I sat her on the dryer and was holding her while putting her jacket on, prior to going out through the garage. I then reached for my own jacket, and lost of hold of her accidentally for a split second. It was HORRIBLE!! I'm actually having flashbacks as I write this. It looked like her head hit the floor first and I was convinced she was going to have a brain injury from it. So we took her to the ER and the head CT was negative, thank goodness. But the next morning I noticed she was crying every time I moved her leg to change her diaper. Sure enough, she had a fractured distal femur and had to be casted for two weeks.

Once she was casted it didn't phase her. She would sit happily and bang toys on her cast.

So pass your worst mommy of the year award right on over to me, because unfortunately I won it. :(

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy

jerseygirl07067

Marcy