PDA

View Full Version : ETA: THANKS! Toddler Pool for the first time, what an idiot!

chiqanita
06-27-2006, 12:18 AM
ETA: Just want to thank you mommas for sharing your stories and offering comfort. Both DSx2 are fine, their momma is feeling better, too. :*

================================================== ======
I'm the idiot in question here. Feeling really bad so I thought I would try to let it go here.

DH and I took DSx2 to the kiddie pool for the first time! We were looking forward to the big event all day. Once DH got home from work we walked over to the park/pool. The kiddie pool is about a foot deep all around with the center being just a little bit deeper. The boys were apprehensive at first but warmed up to it quick. I had DSa who wanted to walk around the pool. DH had DSb who seemed to want to float. I kept telling DH: don't let him drink the water, you're letting his face go under too much, pick him up quick when he goes under. DH was patient as usual but did say "do you think I want him to go under?" So I shut up. All the while I'm walking around with DSa who is trying to touch the floor of the pool. He did it a few times around the edge and basically put his face in the water but he seemed alright. He kept on trying to touch the ground. He walked towards the center (I'm behind him the whole time) and as he squatted to touch the ground he lost his balance and tipped forward completely emersing himself. I pulled him up right away but he looked so 'spooked', frightened. I felt so bad. DH said: how far did he go under? How long? I said it was quick but obviously he went way under because he was very wet. I felt horrible. DSa was coughing so hard. I'm an idiot.

So now, instead of sleeping, I can't get it out of my head. He's alright. He may have swallowed some water or inhaled some water but he's alright...right? Anyone have something similar happen? I hope not but it would make me feel better if someone would just tell me that it isn't so bad.

Thanks for reading.

chiqanita
ETA: Just want to thank you mommas for sharing your stories and offering comfort. Both DSx2 are fine, their momma is feeling better, too. :*

I'm the idiot in question here. Feeling really bad so I thought I would try to let it go here.

DH and I took DSx2 to the kiddie pool for the first time! We were looking forward to the big event all day. Once DH got home from work we walked over to the park/pool. The kiddie pool is about a foot deep all around with the center being just a little bit deeper. The boys were apprehensive at first but warmed up to it quick. I had DSa who wanted to walk around the pool. DH had DSb who seemed to want to float. I kept telling DH: don't let him drink the water, you're letting his face go under too much, pick him up quick when he goes under. DH was patient as usual but did say "do you think I want him to go under?" So I shut up. All the while I'm walking around with DSa who is trying to touch the floor of the pool. He did it a few times around the edge and basically put his face in the water but he seemed alright. He kept on trying to touch the ground. He walked towards the center (I'm behind him the whole time) and as he squatted to touch the ground he lost his balance and tipped forward completely emersing himself. I pulled him up right away but he looked so 'spooked', frightened. I felt so bad. DH said: how far did he go under? How long? I said it was quick but obviously he went way under because he was very wet. I felt horrible. DSa was coughing so hard. I'm an idiot.

So now, instead of sleeping, I can't get it out of my head. He's alright. He may have swallowed some water or inhaled some water but he's alright...right? Anyone have something similar happen? I hope not but it would make me feel better if someone would just tell me that it isn't so bad.

Thanks for reading.

chiqanita

Thanks for reading.

chiqanita

Thanks for reading.

chiqanita

Thanks for reading.

chiqanita

Thanks for reading.

chiqanita

Thanks for reading.

chiqanita

Thanks for reading.

chiqanita

Thanks for reading.

Saartje
06-27-2006, 12:56 AM
Ishy did that at the wading pool a time or two last year. It was less than a foot deep, and I was right next to him (usually with my hand on him) the entire time, but he did lose his balance or try to float on his stomach and forget to keep his face up, and I had to grab him up right away (but not before he got enough water to make him cough). He had no ill effects, though, so I wouldn't worry about your son unless he's still coughing. :)

Saartje
Ishy did that at the wading pool a time or two last year. It was less than a foot deep, and I was right next to him (usually with my hand on him) the entire time, but he did lose his balance or try to float on his stomach and forget to keep his face up, and I had to grab him up right away (but not before he got enough water to make him cough). He had no ill effects, though, so I wouldn't worry about your son unless he's still coughing. :)

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

Saartje

amp
06-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Honey, you're not the first person, nor the last, to let their kid slurp some water by accident! And it certainly won't be the first time he falls into the water and coughs it out. I say this not to belittle what you are feeling, but to tell you that it's ok. You were there to pull him out and that's what makes it ok. My preschooler, at age 3 still inhales water while playing now and then. And he hates to get his face wet. But that doesn't stop it from happening. Don't be so hard on yourself.

amp
Honey, you're not the first person, nor the last, to let their kid slurp some water by accident! And it certainly won't be the first time he falls into the water and coughs it out. I say this not to belittle what you are feeling, but to tell you that it's ok. You were there to pull him out and that's what makes it ok. My preschooler, at age 3 still inhales water while playing now and then. And he hates to get his face wet. But that doesn't stop it from happening. Don't be so hard on yourself.

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

chiqanita
06-27-2006, 01:13 PM
I needed that, thank you. I am very hard on myself especially when it comes to my DC. I have a lot of firsts to go through, I guess I better toughen up. You should've seen me when one of them bumped his head for the first time.

I will try not to be so hard on myself.

chiqanita
I needed that, thank you. I am very hard on myself especially when it comes to my DC. I have a lot of firsts to go through, I guess I better toughen up. You should've seen me when one of them bumped his head for the first time.

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita
06-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks.
He coughed long enough to get the water out and then wanted to go back in...a good thing, I know. I guess I'm being hard on myself because I was standing just behind him and didn't anticipate him losing his footing.
Well, we're going back today to give it another try.
Thanks again.

chiqanita
Thanks.
He coughed long enough to get the water out and then wanted to go back in...a good thing, I know. I guess I'm being hard on myself because I was standing just behind him and didn't anticipate him losing his footing.
Thanks again.

chiqanita
Thanks.
Thanks again.

chiqanita
Thanks.
Thanks again.

chiqanita
Thanks.
Thanks again.

chiqanita
Thanks.
Thanks again.

chiqanita
Thanks.
Thanks again.

chiqanita
Thanks.
Thanks again.

chiqanita
Thanks.
Thanks again.

mamato1
06-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Oh really no need to worry at all. Around here I count how many times A DAY my DS goes under and I have to fish him out. He loves it and thinks it is great fun even whe he comes up sputtering. File this incident under no big deal! :)
Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/16/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

mamato1
Oh really no need to worry at all. Around here I count how many times A DAY my DS goes under and I have to fish him out. He loves it and thinks it is great fun even whe he comes up sputtering. File this incident under no big deal! :)
Chris

mamato1
Chris

mamato1
Chris

mamato1
Chris

mamato1
Chris

mamato1
Chris

mamato1
Chris

mamato1
Chris

sarahsthreads
06-27-2006, 03:56 PM
This just happened to me a few days ago with DD. She was standing on our pool steps (inground) and I was sitting right next to her. She leaned over to touch the water and *splash* into the pool she went, headfirst. She didn't even cough when I pulled her up, just looked a little surprised and started pushing her wet hair off her face. I felt like an idiot, but no harm done I guess. I was much more scared than she was!

Don't "mommy and me" baby water classes usually involve having them put their faces in the water on purpose anyway?

The important thing is that you were right there to pull him out, so don't beat yourself up!

Sarah :)

sarahsthreads
This just happened to me a few days ago with DD. She was standing on our pool steps (inground) and I was sitting right next to her. She leaned over to touch the water and *splash* into the pool she went, headfirst. She didn't even cough when I pulled her up, just looked a little surprised and started pushing her wet hair off her face. I felt like an idiot, but no harm done I guess. I was much more scared than she was!

Don't "mommy and me" baby water classes usually involve having them put their faces in the water on purpose anyway?

The important thing is that you were right there to pull him out, so don't beat yourself up!

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

sarahsthreads

amp
06-27-2006, 04:32 PM
You won't toughen up! You're a mom! And you'll stress about every little thing and how much it will cost in therapy bills years down the road. It's our lot in life, as parents. It just shows you're on the right track. I'd be worrried if you didn't care or feel badly. Hang in there!

amp
You won't toughen up! You're a mom! And you'll stress about every little thing and how much it will cost in therapy bills years down the road. It's our lot in life, as parents. It just shows you're on the right track. I'd be worrried if you didn't care or feel badly. Hang in there!

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

crl
06-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Sounds to me like you had a good mommy day. You took your kids to do something fun and different. They had a good time and no one got hurt. :-)

Honestly, my kid LOVES the water and he often ends up coughing some out at the pool. I think it is just part of the pool experience and he's never suffered any lasting effects. Obviously you don't want them to swallow a ton and get sick, but a bit here and there is par for the course.

crl
Sounds to me like you had a good mommy day. You took your kids to do something fun and different. They had a good time and no one got hurt. :-)

Honestly, my kid LOVES the water and he often ends up coughing some out at the pool. I think it is just part of the pool experience and he's never suffered any lasting effects. Obviously you don't want them to swallow a ton and get sick, but a bit here and there is par for the course.

crl

crl

crl

crl

crl

crl

crl

KBecks
06-27-2006, 08:04 PM
It's fine.

DH was at the beach on vacation and DS was standing at his feet in the water, about calf-deep for DH, probably waist deep for DS.

I'm sitting on the beach and DH is looking around and DS falls on his bottom and is underwater for 2 seconds while I'm yelling at DH to pick him up.

A little couging, no big deal, but very scary and memorable. You've got to watch them all the time. As long as you're right there to pull them out immediately, it should be OK. I swallowed and coughed up tons of water when learning to swim, it's not a pleasant feeling, but a second underwater is not terrible.

KBecks
It's fine.

DH was at the beach on vacation and DS was standing at his feet in the water, about calf-deep for DH, probably waist deep for DS.

I'm sitting on the beach and DH is looking around and DS falls on his bottom and is underwater for 2 seconds while I'm yelling at DH to pick him up.

A little couging, no big deal, but very scary and memorable. You've got to watch them all the time. As long as you're right there to pull them out immediately, it should be OK. I swallowed and coughed up tons of water when learning to swim, it's not a pleasant feeling, but a second underwater is not terrible.

KBecks
It's fine.

KBecks
It's fine.

KBecks
It's fine.

KBecks
It's fine.

KBecks
It's fine.

KBecks
It's fine.

KBecks
It's fine.

anamika
06-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Yep, just happened to us two days back. DD (fully clothed) was dabbling her hand in the wading pool which someone else had set up, in the park. The pool water was quite filthy too with sand and mud since the kids kept jumping in and out.Anyway, the pool sides were collapsible/soft which I didn't realize so when DD bent forward, in she went. She drank the water, was soaked and spluttered for a while. I was so upset at myself.
I was sure she would fall sick but thankfully, she's ok. But she's scared to play in the water in the park anymore.

anamika
Yep, just happened to us two days back. DD (fully clothed) was dabbling her hand in the wading pool which someone else had set up, in the park. The pool water was quite filthy too with sand and mud since the kids kept jumping in and out.Anyway, the pool sides were collapsible/soft which I didn't realize so when DD bent forward, in she went. She drank the water, was soaked and spluttered for a while. I was so upset at myself.
I was sure she would fall sick but thankfully, she's ok. But she's scared to play in the water in the park anymore.

anamika

anamika

anamika

anamika

anamika

anamika

anamika

julieakc
06-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Yep, happened here too.....

Last summer when DS was only 17 months we were at a resort for DH's work meeting/retreat. DH, me, DS and a couple of DH's co-workers were hanging out in the pool. I think DH and I were both in the pool and DS was sitting on the edge with his feet hanging in...DH was the one holding him....next thing I know DS has fallen into the pool all the way under. Remember this is not a wading pool, but a regular pool, so we're in probably about 5 feet of water. DH grabbed DS immediately and DS coughed up a little water and was fine...BTW, he's been back in the pool since and apparently wasn't traumatized by it.

julieakc

Last summer when DS was only 17 months we were at a resort for DH's work meeting/retreat. DH, me, DS and a couple of DH's co-workers were hanging out in the pool. I think DH and I were both in the pool and DS was sitting on the edge with his feet hanging in...DH was the one holding him....next thing I know DS has fallen into the pool all the way under. Remember this is not a wading pool, but a regular pool, so we're in probably about 5 feet of water. DH grabbed DS immediately and DS coughed up a little water and was fine...BTW, he's been back in the pool since and apparently wasn't traumatized by it.

julieakc

julieakc

julieakc

julieakc

julieakc

julieakc

julieakc

rlu
06-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Yes, that's about all our mommy and me class did was have us put DS face in the water and "blow bubbles". DS has "splashed down" a few times too, key is to not over-react where DS can see you (mommy panicking in private after is normal).

rlu
Yes, that's about all our mommy and me class did was have us put DS face in the water and "blow bubbles". DS has "splashed down" a few times too, key is to not over-react where DS can see you (mommy panicking in private after is normal).

rlu

rlu

rlu

rlu

rlu

rlu

rlu