PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE don't touch my baby!

kelley3v
06-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Ugh! So maybe it is just me, but I can not stand when strangers try to touch my baby! She is only 7 weeks old! Today we were in Barnes and Noble and this woman walked by and said "where'd you get that doll?" Nice compliment so I smiled as we walked by. She then reached out and tried to touch my baby's cheek! My husband (who was carrying her) pulled her back and shook his head no, but the woman still ended up touching her arm! I was so annoyed! I don't go around touching other people and I certainly wouldn't try to touch someone else's baby, why must other people CONSTANTLY try to touch mine?!

kelley3v
Ugh! So maybe it is just me, but I can not stand when strangers try to touch my baby! She is only 7 weeks old! Today we were in Barnes and Noble and this woman walked by and said "where'd you get that doll?" Nice compliment so I smiled as we walked by. She then reached out and tried to touch my baby's cheek! My husband (who was carrying her) pulled her back and shook his head no, but the woman still ended up touching her arm! I was so annoyed! I don't go around touching other people and I certainly wouldn't try to touch someone else's baby, why must other people CONSTANTLY try to touch mine?!

kelley3v

kelley3v

kelley3v

kelley3v

kelley3v

kelley3v

kelley3v

boolady
06-27-2006, 02:08 PM
My baby isn't even here yet, but I get very squeamish when I see random people touching/holding/picking up kids they really don't know. This is an epidemic in my office, and I have already decided that once the baby's born, we're not coming in for a visit for a while. Also, when I do, I may steal my friend's successful theory-- she kept her DD in the stroller, which made people much less inclined to touch, ask to hold, etc.

boolady
My baby isn't even here yet, but I get very squeamish when I see random people touching/holding/picking up kids they really don't know. This is an epidemic in my office, and I have already decided that once the baby's born, we're not coming in for a visit for a while. Also, when I do, I may steal my friend's successful theory-- she kept her DD in the stroller, which made people much less inclined to touch, ask to hold, etc.

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

boolady

jillc
06-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Or better yet, keep her in a sling or other baby carrier where she's right up against your chest. People are much less likely to touch her there than if she's in a stroller, since they'd have to be right in your personal space.

A sling has worked well for us & other families I know. Both as a great way to carry Baby & to keep grabby people away!

Best,
Jill

jillc
Or better yet, keep her in a sling or other baby carrier where she's right up against your chest. People are much less likely to touch her there than if she's in a stroller, since they'd have to be right in your personal space.

A sling has worked well for us & other families I know. Both as a great way to carry Baby & to keep grabby people away!

Best,
Jill

jillc

Best,
Jill

jillc

Best,
Jill

jillc

Best,
Jill

jillc

Best,
Jill

jillc

Best,
Jill

jillc

Best,
Jill

jillc

Best,
Jill

kep
06-27-2006, 03:56 PM
My biggest pet peave was the germy children in the doctor's office waiting room, who constantly wanted to touch my baby. I would always try to keep a blanket over his carseat, but the kids just wouldn't leave him alone. I kept telling them nicely, please don't touch the baby, but they weren't children who listened. I would give their parents the evil eye, and inside I would be thinking, "What the heck. Why can't you control your kids? Who lets their germy toddlers touch a days old baby?" I feel you frustration, mama!

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)
And a new baby due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://bd.lilypie.com/8dPKm4/.png

http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

kep
My biggest pet peave was the germy children in the doctor's office waiting room, who constantly wanted to touch my baby. I would always try to keep a blanket over his carseat, but the kids just wouldn't leave him alone. I kept telling them nicely, please don't touch the baby, but they weren't children who listened. I would give their parents the evil eye, and inside I would be thinking, "What the heck. Why can't you control your kids? Who lets their germy toddlers touch a days old baby?" I feel you frustration, mama!

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

kep

Kelli

cmdunn1972
06-27-2006, 04:44 PM
I totally hear you.

There's a freakish guy who works in our local Home Depot. He's single, childless, and looks about 50ish. I don't know this guy, and he asks to hold DS! WTH?!?

We don't go there anymore, but it's for this reason plus a few more (read my HD bitching post for the gory details if you want).

cmdunn1972
I totally hear you.

There's a freakish guy who works in our local Home Depot. He's single, childless, and looks about 50ish. I don't know this guy, and he asks to hold DS! WTH?!?

We don't go there anymore, but it's for this reason plus a few more (read my HD bitching post for the gory details if you want).

cmdunn1972
I totally hear you.

cmdunn1972
I totally hear you.

cmdunn1972
I totally hear you.

cmdunn1972
I totally hear you.

cmdunn1972
I totally hear you.

cmdunn1972
I totally hear you.

cmdunn1972
I totally hear you.

tarynsmum
06-27-2006, 06:40 PM
ITA! I think people are afraid they might accidentally graze a boob, so they never try to touch DD when I'm wearing her.

tarynsmum
ITA! I think people are afraid they might accidentally graze a boob, so they never try to touch DD when I'm wearing her.

tarynsmum

tarynsmum

tarynsmum

tarynsmum

tarynsmum

tarynsmum

tarynsmum

jarrettsmom9705
06-27-2006, 07:14 PM
This drives my DH nuts when people do this. The stroller idea is good except that it doesn't deter children. In fact, it makes it more accessible for them to paw all over your DC since they are more on their level.

Once, when I was coming out of DH's office building, a woman stopped to talk to me about my stroller. While we were talking, her little girl got out of her stroller and had her hands all over my DS before I could manuver him away. Two days later, my DS comes down with the most horrendous cold! I was so mad that that woman let her apparently sick child touch mine. What made me even madder was that her husband didn't even try to pull his daughter away from my DS.

The problem is that you can't touch another person's child even if they are touching yours. Yet, these parents cant' control their kids either.

I ought to own stock in Germ-X, as much as I use it!

Sorry to hijack,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705
This drives my DH nuts when people do this. The stroller idea is good except that it doesn't deter children. In fact, it makes it more accessible for them to paw all over your DC since they are more on their level.

Once, when I was coming out of DH's office building, a woman stopped to talk to me about my stroller. While we were talking, her little girl got out of her stroller and had her hands all over my DS before I could manuver him away. Two days later, my DS comes down with the most horrendous cold! I was so mad that that woman let her apparently sick child touch mine. What made me even madder was that her husband didn't even try to pull his daughter away from my DS.

The problem is that you can't touch another person's child even if they are touching yours. Yet, these parents cant' control their kids either.

Sorry to hijack,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Sorry to hijack,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Sorry to hijack,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Sorry to hijack,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Sorry to hijack,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Sorry to hijack,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Sorry to hijack,
Tracy

jarrettsmom9705

Sorry to hijack,
Tracy

saschalicks
06-27-2006, 07:29 PM
I feel the same way. You are so right. One time I was in a store with my mom, my dad and DS#1 was in a stroller. A little old lady bent down said how cute and rubbed him. When she walked away I said to my dad "Why, why do you have to touch my kid?" My dad said "oh she's old." In a get over it manner. My mom quickly said that's not an excuse to touch someone else's kid. I don't know why but it bugs me so much. When I read your title I just knew I was right there with you.

saschalicks
I feel the same way. You are so right. One time I was in a store with my mom, my dad and DS#1 was in a stroller. A little old lady bent down said how cute and rubbed him. When she walked away I said to my dad "Why, why do you have to touch my kid?" My dad said "oh she's old." In a get over it manner. My mom quickly said that's not an excuse to touch someone else's kid. I don't know why but it bugs me so much. When I read your title I just knew I was right there with you.

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

AddiesMom
06-27-2006, 09:15 PM
We had a weird guy at the local hardware store in the paint dept that always want to chat with everyone. Tried to be overly friendly all the time. Guess what....

LEVEL 3 SEX OFFENDER!!!!!!!!!

AddiesMom
We had a weird guy at the local hardware store in the paint dept that always want to chat with everyone. Tried to be overly friendly all the time. Guess what....

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

Lovingliv
06-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Congratulations on your new lil one! And welcome to the BBB!

I am right there with you....when Liv was born I would make everyone wash their hands before getting near her. Then I would make them purell. My nephew came to visit and he would cough and then go to touch the baby. He is 12 years old, old enough to know better. I had to constantly tell him "go wash your hands". He finally started ignoring me, coughing, and touching his cheek. I took the baby from my brother and told him that when he could control his child, I would let him hold mine.
Good for you for speaking up!

Lovingliv

I am right there with you....when Liv was born I would make everyone wash their hands before getting near her. Then I would make them purell. My nephew came to visit and he would cough and then go to touch the baby. He is 12 years old, old enough to know better. I had to constantly tell him "go wash your hands". He finally started ignoring me, coughing, and touching his cheek. I took the baby from my brother and told him that when he could control his child, I would let him hold mine.

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

Lovingliv

cmdunn1972
06-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Yep! I wouldn't be surprised if the same turns out for the guy I described. NO WAY I let him touch DS. Last time I went to HD (horrific experience), I avoided the weirdo like crazy, which wasn't easy to do since I was waiting in line at the CS desk and he was milling around the area. I ended up takind DS with me to the car and let DH wait in line. I was shaking!

cmdunn1972
Yep! I wouldn't be surprised if the same turns out for the guy I described. NO WAY I let him touch DS. Last time I went to HD (horrific experience), I avoided the weirdo like crazy, which wasn't easy to do since I was waiting in line at the CS desk and he was milling around the area. I ended up takind DS with me to the car and let DH wait in line. I was shaking!

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

Jenn98
06-27-2006, 09:32 PM
I had the opposite problem. People here were so fascinated by my kangarro korner pouch that they always touched me! It was so annoying. I usually just stepped back and smiled.

When DD was little, only a few months old, I had some guy in church ask me if he could smell my baby. WTH?!?!? Are you kidding me? It was weird.

Jenn98
I had the opposite problem. People here were so fascinated by my kangarro korner pouch that they always touched me! It was so annoying. I usually just stepped back and smiled.

When DD was little, only a few months old, I had some guy in church ask me if he could smell my baby. WTH?!?!? Are you kidding me? It was weird.

Jenn98

Jenn98

Jenn98

Jenn98

Jenn98

Jenn98

Jenn98

dr mom
06-27-2006, 10:35 PM
This really irked me when DS was a newborn. Back then, I usually kept him in a sling, and if people came too close I'd say "oops, he's nursing right now!" and they'd go scurrying away with their eyes averted, afraid they might catch a glimpse of nipple. }(

It gets a little better after the newborn period - you're less worried about germs - but people will still want to touch your kid!

I still occasionally have problems with total strangers wanting to touch two-year-old DS. I've handled this in several ways...I will speak up for him when he obviously doesn't want to be touched, i.e. "I don't like that, don't touch me," which gives him an example of what he can say next time, while helping him physically move away from them. Or, if I'm feeling particularly devilish, I will reach out to total strangers and touch them on the head, the arm, or wherever they have just patted my child without his permission. People invariably keep a LOT more space between us after that, and if I've offended a few whackos in the grocery store, well so be it. Next time they'll think twice before giving my child a condescending pat on the head. ;)

dr mom
This really irked me when DS was a newborn. Back then, I usually kept him in a sling, and if people came too close I'd say "oops, he's nursing right now!" and they'd go scurrying away with their eyes averted, afraid they might catch a glimpse of nipple. }(

It gets a little better after the newborn period - you're less worried about germs - but people will still want to touch your kid!

I still occasionally have problems with total strangers wanting to touch two-year-old DS. I've handled this in several ways...I will speak up for him when he obviously doesn't want to be touched, i.e. "I don't like that, don't touch me," which gives him an example of what he can say next time, while helping him physically move away from them. Or, if I'm feeling particularly devilish, I will reach out to total strangers and touch them on the head, the arm, or wherever they have just patted my child without his permission. People invariably keep a LOT more space between us after that, and if I've offended a few whackos in the grocery store, well so be it. Next time they'll think twice before giving my child a condescending pat on the head. ;)

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

dr mom

kozachka
06-28-2006, 02:05 AM
I so hear you. When DS was just a few weeks old a waitress in a diner grabbed his cheek. She was oohing and aahing about how cute the baby was, which I thought was totally normal since she was pregnant, but I absolutely did not expect her to touch him! DS was finally asleep in his carseat and I was terrified that she would wake my little guy up and I won't get to enjoy my break/fast. I was so upset I told her in less than happy voice that it is not a good idea to touch my baby since 1) it is flue season, and 2) he might wake up. The waitress apologized. I though she was clueless since she was expecting her first, nope, it was her second, but she still was a bit surprised by my reaction.

kozachka
I so hear you. When DS was just a few weeks old a waitress in a diner grabbed his cheek. She was oohing and aahing about how cute the baby was, which I thought was totally normal since she was pregnant, but I absolutely did not expect her to touch him! DS was finally asleep in his carseat and I was terrified that she would wake my little guy up and I won't get to enjoy my break/fast. I was so upset I told her in less than happy voice that it is not a good idea to touch my baby since 1) it is flue season, and 2) he might wake up. The waitress apologized. I though she was clueless since she was expecting her first, nope, it was her second, but she still was a bit surprised by my reaction.

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

kozachka

DebbieJ
06-28-2006, 07:43 AM
This is why I loved wearing my baby in a sling. He was then right next to me and people were hesitant to invade my personal space to touch him.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

DebbieJ
This is why I loved wearing my baby in a sling. He was then right next to me and people were hesitant to invade my personal space to touch him.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

chiqanita
06-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi! Welcome! And, congratulations!

I so understand and ditto your question! It doesn't happen so much now because my twins are 22 months old and don't like strangers to come too close...they'll cry or try to get away.

When I was pregnant everyone tried to touch my belly, which really bothered me!

When my twins were born I kept them very close. At home everyone entering my home had to wash their hands and some had to put on an apron (bought for this purpose) or cover themselves with a blanket before I would allow them to touch either of my babes. I would even ask if they were sick or around anyone who was sick. Everyone was pretty understanding. Out-and-about I kept them in their car seats in the Graco tandem. I even pulled the canopies closed when people would get too close.

One time a little girl in the mall, about 4 or 5, circled my stroller searching for a way in. Her momma just watched as I tried to shoo her away. I have lots of stories like that! Once a little boy walked up and grabbed DS's hand and shook it hard...out of no where!

Hang in there, soon enough she will be able to stop them herself.

chiqanita

I so understand and ditto your question! It doesn't happen so much now because my twins are 22 months old and don't like strangers to come too close...they'll cry or try to get away.

When my twins were born I kept them very close. At home everyone entering my home had to wash their hands and some had to put on an apron (bought for this purpose) or cover themselves with a blanket before I would allow them to touch either of my babes. I would even ask if they were sick or around anyone who was sick. Everyone was pretty understanding. Out-and-about I kept them in their car seats in the Graco tandem. I even pulled the canopies closed when people would get too close.

One time a little girl in the mall, about 4 or 5, circled my stroller searching for a way in. Her momma just watched as I tried to shoo her away. I have lots of stories like that! Once a little boy walked up and grabbed DS's hand and shook it hard...out of no where!

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

Melanie
06-28-2006, 04:40 PM
I hear you! I think it's because babies are just so sweet and loveable, they attract love from everyone.

ITA, though, don't touch my kid!

Melanie
I hear you! I think it's because babies are just so sweet and loveable, they attract love from everyone.

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

writermama
06-30-2006, 05:09 PM
This reminds me of a previous thread:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=55355

Now the product here tells people to wash their hands before touching a baby's hands, which would help a little. Though a plain "Don't Touch Me!" sign would be nice.

writermama

Now the product here tells people to wash their hands before touching a baby's hands, which would help a little. Though a plain "Don't Touch Me!" sign would be nice.

writermama

writermama

writermama

writermama

writermama

writermama

writermama

tina-t
06-30-2006, 06:14 PM
I hear ya!! This bugs me too. Wearing your baby in a sling definitely helps though.

tina-t
I hear ya!! This bugs me too. Wearing your baby in a sling definitely helps though.

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t

tina-t