PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage "me" time?

buddyleebaby
06-29-2006, 09:30 AM
This isn't really a bitch, but it has the potential to become a bitch so I'm posting here.
How, when kids have to be fed and bathed and rocked and read to and sang to and played with and cuddled, do you find the chance to do something just for you?
Things are ok, now. My dh takes dd for an hour for me to unwind. Unfortunatley I am so tired that I usually just end up taking a nap for that hour. (But still, naps are HEAVENLY.)
I guessI just see the writing on the wall for when the new baby arrives. Dh will just be starting final exams. After final exams he will be working lots of ot at his nw station, which could be anywhere in the city, as opposed to the old one which was very close to home. He will have pipes&drums once a week. HE has also decided to join his department's soccer team, which of course has both practices and games.
I don't want to discourage him from doing any of these things. Especially after his recent heart thing, I think it will be great for him to get back into some regular cardiac exercise (which soccer certainly is) and stay healthy. At the same time, I wonder how in the world I will manage. I feel like even now when I get a chance to do something it is something baby-related (like re-organizing toys or something). I do sneak on here often, usually when dd is napping or eating (in which case I pull the highchair up right across from me and am simultaneously talking to her), and I guess that's sort of "me" time, but I don;t see how I'm going to be able to do that when Tummy K gets here.
Any advice or tips? How do you get you get a break?

buddyleebaby
This isn't really a bitch, but it has the potential to become a bitch so I'm posting here.
How, when kids have to be fed and bathed and rocked and read to and sang to and played with and cuddled, do you find the chance to do something just for you?
Things are ok, now. My dh takes dd for an hour for me to unwind. Unfortunatley I am so tired that I usually just end up taking a nap for that hour. (But still, naps are HEAVENLY.)
I guessI just see the writing on the wall for when the new baby arrives. Dh will just be starting final exams. After final exams he will be working lots of ot at his nw station, which could be anywhere in the city, as opposed to the old one which was very close to home. He will have pipes&drums once a week. HE has also decided to join his department's soccer team, which of course has both practices and games.
I don't want to discourage him from doing any of these things. Especially after his recent heart thing, I think it will be great for him to get back into some regular cardiac exercise (which soccer certainly is) and stay healthy. At the same time, I wonder how in the world I will manage. I feel like even now when I get a chance to do something it is something baby-related (like re-organizing toys or something). I do sneak on here often, usually when dd is napping or eating (in which case I pull the highchair up right across from me and am simultaneously talking to her), and I guess that's sort of "me" time, but I don;t see how I'm going to be able to do that when Tummy K gets here.

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

Lynnie
06-29-2006, 09:44 AM
It is really really hard.

Because I work outside of the home full time,I do have a lunch hour that is all mine. Of course, I have been known to grocery shop at lunch, and on other days I work out or go to physical therapy for a bum knee & bad back, but at least it is time where I am the only one I need to be accountable to and for, if you know what I mean.

Also, we have someone come in to help out, so I can ride the bike around the block, or run errands and stuff after work sometimes, or even, one glorious saturday, have time for a manicure, pedicure, and highlights.

I have been trying to ask my DH to schedule a regular time to pick up the kids from "school" so that I know I'll have one night per week to have for myself. He will often get them (well, often might be an overstatement, but probably 4 x per month. Ok, I take back the word "often"...), but we have no regular schedule yet, so its not an ideal situation for me, but can't complain. Maybe your DH can schedule a kids night too, where he knows, just like his soccer practice, that he has something fun and energy expending to do.

If I stayed at home, I think I'd try to meet other SAHMs and see if we could take turns "dumping" the kids with each other, even if only for an hour or two, just to get a little precious free time.

As it is now, often my time by myself is a trip to the grocery store. woo hoo.

Lynnie

Because I work outside of the home full time,I do have a lunch hour that is all mine. Of course, I have been known to grocery shop at lunch, and on other days I work out or go to physical therapy for a bum knee & bad back, but at least it is time where I am the only one I need to be accountable to and for, if you know what I mean.

Also, we have someone come in to help out, so I can ride the bike around the block, or run errands and stuff after work sometimes, or even, one glorious saturday, have time for a manicure, pedicure, and highlights.

I have been trying to ask my DH to schedule a regular time to pick up the kids from "school" so that I know I'll have one night per week to have for myself. He will often get them (well, often might be an overstatement, but probably 4 x per month. Ok, I take back the word "often"...), but we have no regular schedule yet, so its not an ideal situation for me, but can't complain. Maybe your DH can schedule a kids night too, where he knows, just like his soccer practice, that he has something fun and energy expending to do.

If I stayed at home, I think I'd try to meet other SAHMs and see if we could take turns "dumping" the kids with each other, even if only for an hour or two, just to get a little precious free time.

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

kedss
06-29-2006, 10:23 AM
You just have to do it. I volunteer once a week, on Saturdays at the local children's museum, because I miss hanging out with kids that aren't mine, I used to teach preschool and I really miss that. so, I just signed up, and Dh has to watch Ds for a few hours, while I go have coffee, read a paper, then go to the museum. esp now with the in-laws here, it makes me soooooooooooooooooooo happy when Saturdays roll around. I've been volunteering for about 9 months i think, and even though Dh still grumbles about it, its what I need to do for me.

and yes, naps are great!!! :)

hugs

kedss
You just have to do it. I volunteer once a week, on Saturdays at the local children's museum, because I miss hanging out with kids that aren't mine, I used to teach preschool and I really miss that. so, I just signed up, and Dh has to watch Ds for a few hours, while I go have coffee, read a paper, then go to the museum. esp now with the in-laws here, it makes me soooooooooooooooooooo happy when Saturdays roll around. I've been volunteering for about 9 months i think, and even though Dh still grumbles about it, its what I need to do for me.

hugs

kedss

hugs

kedss

hugs

kedss

hugs

kedss

hugs

kedss

hugs

kedss

hugs

kedss

hugs

Lynnie
06-29-2006, 10:35 AM
I second that you just have to make it a priority, and communicate your needs to your DH. I used to feel guilty leaving the kids, and wanted to spend more time with them, but then I realized I needed time for me to be a better me, and therefore better mommy.

I used to volunteer. Think I'll have to start doing that again... that saturday schedule looks really nice !

Lynnie
I second that you just have to make it a priority, and communicate your needs to your DH. I used to feel guilty leaving the kids, and wanted to spend more time with them, but then I realized I needed time for me to be a better me, and therefore better mommy.

I used to volunteer. Think I'll have to start doing that again... that saturday schedule looks really nice !

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

Lynnie

kedss
06-29-2006, 10:42 AM
:) It is, I volunteer from 10am - noon, and then I leave, there is never pressure for me to stay longer, because I made it clear what hours I could do, and its just nice to hang out with other moms and chat sometimes, and I get to play, too! :)

kedss
:) It is, I volunteer from 10am - noon, and then I leave, there is never pressure for me to stay longer, because I made it clear what hours I could do, and its just nice to hang out with other moms and chat sometimes, and I get to play, too! :)

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

Beth568
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
I stay up really, really late, which isn't good for anybody. But my kids are night owls, and also early risers, and if I want quiet, uninterrupted time, that's the only way for me to get it.

I can't rely on DH to watch the kids for my "me" time because his work schedule is so unpredictable, and he works a ton of hours.

I couldn't agree more that you just have to plan for it and stick with a schedule. Finding child care is the tough part for me. It works out fine for me to drop my 4 year old with a friend for a play date, but I feel like it's a bit much to ask for me to leave both kids at a neighbor's house on a regular basis, especially when my friends in the neighborhood all have at least 2 young children themselves. And my younger DD is 19 months, which is not an easy age to supervise.

If you can find someone to swap babysitting with you, that's a great idea. If not, I'd start looking for a mother's helper now - a young teenager or perhaps a day care or preschool employee looking for a few extra hours of work. And then schedule your "me" time for at least once a week, even if it's just an hour or two. Some day I will actually do this myself. ;)

Beth568
I stay up really, really late, which isn't good for anybody. But my kids are night owls, and also early risers, and if I want quiet, uninterrupted time, that's the only way for me to get it.

I can't rely on DH to watch the kids for my "me" time because his work schedule is so unpredictable, and he works a ton of hours.

I couldn't agree more that you just have to plan for it and stick with a schedule. Finding child care is the tough part for me. It works out fine for me to drop my 4 year old with a friend for a play date, but I feel like it's a bit much to ask for me to leave both kids at a neighbor's house on a regular basis, especially when my friends in the neighborhood all have at least 2 young children themselves. And my younger DD is 19 months, which is not an easy age to supervise.

If you can find someone to swap babysitting with you, that's a great idea. If not, I'd start looking for a mother's helper now - a young teenager or perhaps a day care or preschool employee looking for a few extra hours of work. And then schedule your "me" time for at least once a week, even if it's just an hour or two. Some day I will actually do this myself. ;)

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

mommy_someday
06-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Alicia, maybe you should sit down and discuss your options with DH. I'd explain to him that you see the value in his extra-curricular activities and that you don't want him to have to cut back, but that YOU need something of your own as well. Enlist his help in brainstorming ways to get you some 'me time'. Your entire family will benefit from this because you'll be a better wife/mom if you take care of yourself. Your happiness and mental/emotional wellbeing is just as vital as your DH's. Good luck and take care!

mommy_someday
Alicia, maybe you should sit down and discuss your options with DH. I'd explain to him that you see the value in his extra-curricular activities and that you don't want him to have to cut back, but that YOU need something of your own as well. Enlist his help in brainstorming ways to get you some 'me time'. Your entire family will benefit from this because you'll be a better wife/mom if you take care of yourself. Your happiness and mental/emotional wellbeing is just as vital as your DH's. Good luck and take care!

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

mommy_someday

VClute
06-30-2006, 06:53 AM
I've had to just DO it. I told DH that every Thursday evening, he needs to be home by 6:30, so I can go weigh-in at Weight Watchers. After I weigh in, I go shopping, or run errands best done without DS in tow. And every Saturday morning, I get up before DS and DH and throw some clothes on and go yardsaling and thrifting. Just driving around by myself is a rare treat, so I take it before anyone is awake enough to protest!

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

VClute
I've had to just DO it. I told DH that every Thursday evening, he needs to be home by 6:30, so I can go weigh-in at Weight Watchers. After I weigh in, I go shopping, or run errands best done without DS in tow. And every Saturday morning, I get up before DS and DH and throw some clothes on and go yardsaling and thrifting. Just driving around by myself is a rare treat, so I take it before anyone is awake enough to protest!

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

Lovingliv
06-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey Alicia,

I do find it challenging to have "me time". I work outside the home 3 days and one night. I don't take lunch breaks at any of my jobs because I would rather get home earlier to see her. I have been tired lately so I have been taking naps during her naps, and sometimes I just put a whole bunch of toys in her crib and let her play. I was feeling like the only thing I ever have time for is dishes, laundry and cooking.
Then, I started to incorporate "my time" into "our time". I started walking more during the day with the stroller, so I can exercise.
My big "taking back part of my life" step was that in May I started to get up early on Saturday and bike with some friends. I am usually gone for three to four hours and it is heavenly!

By the way,,,,,may I ask.....Why is your tummy, tummy K? I am assuming the baby name will start with a K, and I think it is such a cute nickname!
Remember you need time for you, to continue to be the great Mama that you are!

Lovingliv
Hey Alicia,

I do find it challenging to have "me time". I work outside the home 3 days and one night. I don't take lunch breaks at any of my jobs because I would rather get home earlier to see her. I have been tired lately so I have been taking naps during her naps, and sometimes I just put a whole bunch of toys in her crib and let her play. I was feeling like the only thing I ever have time for is dishes, laundry and cooking.
Then, I started to incorporate "my time" into "our time". I started walking more during the day with the stroller, so I can exercise.
My big "taking back part of my life" step was that in May I started to get up early on Saturday and bike with some friends. I am usually gone for three to four hours and it is heavenly!

By the way,,,,,may I ask.....Why is your tummy, tummy K? I am assuming the baby name will start with a K, and I think it is such a cute nickname!

Lovingliv
Hey Alicia,

Lovingliv
Hey Alicia,

Lovingliv
Hey Alicia,

Lovingliv
Hey Alicia,

Lovingliv
Hey Alicia,

Lovingliv
Hey Alicia,

Lovingliv
Hey Alicia,

buddyleebaby
06-30-2006, 10:13 PM
"Tommy K" is a song by our favorite band, the SawDoctors. (They're very popular in Ireland, not so much here.) Anyway, part of the lyrics go : "So let's call out his name, Tommy K! Tommy K!" and there's a little dance that goes with it. Dh taught the dance to dd and changed the words to "Tummy K", and that's what we've called this baby ever since.

That's great that you go out and bike in Saturdays! I know a huge part of me not getting "me" time is that I just won't take it. Dh has a funky work schedule and I refuse to let my mom or MIL help, although they offer. My mom says that I am very "greedy" when it comes to dd. The truth is I am just a nervous wreck when I am not right there with her. Since she was born, I have been away from her for exactly one hour and a half, when my dh was in the hospital. She had been there with me all day and so I sent her to my mom's house to have some dinner while I got dh settled in his room. I bawled like a baby as soon as I handed her over to my mom. I was trying to compose myself but I really was nearly hysterical. The Doctors were all trying to reassure me that my dh would be fine and I wanted to say "I know he'll be fine! I'm crying because I want my baby!"
At the same time, though, I am exhausted. I need downtime. I would love to be able to just go lock myself in the bedroom for two hours and read or something. I'd feel better because I still feel right there, kwim? Dh is willing but it's just so hrad to actually do it, because I'll wonder if he's interacting with her enough, or if he's remembering to change her diaper, or I'll hear her cry and go running.I want a break from worrying about all those things but even when I get one physically it's like I can't turn my brain off.
There's a starbucks close-by. I am thinking of asking dh to watch her, taking his cellphone, and going to read there awhile. That might be something I could handle because it is still REALLY close by and at the same time I wouldn't be right there.
I need to ditch the guilt. That is my problem. the rest of it is of my own making.

buddyleebaby
"Tommy K" is a song by our favorite band, the SawDoctors. (They're very popular in Ireland, not so much here.) Anyway, part of the lyrics go : "So let's call out his name, Tommy K! Tommy K!" and there's a little dance that goes with it. Dh taught the dance to dd and changed the words to "Tummy K", and that's what we've called this baby ever since.

That's great that you go out and bike in Saturdays! I know a huge part of me not getting "me" time is that I just won't take it. Dh has a funky work schedule and I refuse to let my mom or MIL help, although they offer. My mom says that I am very "greedy" when it comes to dd. The truth is I am just a nervous wreck when I am not right there with her. Since she was born, I have been away from her for exactly one hour and a half, when my dh was in the hospital. She had been there with me all day and so I sent her to my mom's house to have some dinner while I got dh settled in his room. I bawled like a baby as soon as I handed her over to my mom. I was trying to compose myself but I really was nearly hysterical. The Doctors were all trying to reassure me that my dh would be fine and I wanted to say "I know he'll be fine! I'm crying because I want my baby!"
At the same time, though, I am exhausted. I need downtime. I would love to be able to just go lock myself in the bedroom for two hours and read or something. I'd feel better because I still feel right there, kwim? Dh is willing but it's just so hrad to actually do it, because I'll wonder if he's interacting with her enough, or if he's remembering to change her diaper, or I'll hear her cry and go running.I want a break from worrying about all those things but even when I get one physically it's like I can't turn my brain off.
There's a starbucks close-by. I am thinking of asking dh to watch her, taking his cellphone, and going to read there awhile. That might be something I could handle because it is still REALLY close by and at the same time I wouldn't be right there.
I need to ditch the guilt. That is my problem. the rest of it is of my own making.

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

Beth568
06-30-2006, 10:19 PM
I had to respond again because I understand very much how you feel about not wanting to be away from your DD. It took me a LONG time to feel comfortable leaving my DD1 with anyone else, even my mom or my ILs (well, my MIL is nuts, so that's a bit of a different issue).

Anyway, FWIW, it gets a little easier to deal with leaving them as they get older and more verbal. Now that my DD is 4, I don't have a problem because I know she's old enough to understand what she needs and wants, to speak up for herself, and to tell me what happened when she was in someone else's care. I don't remember exactly when I started feeling more comfortable with it, but it was probably when she was close to 2. So I do think that will get easier for you. I know that people probably tell you that you need to let go, and you'll eventually be able to do it. If your mom is close by, maybe you can gradually get used to letting her help by having her come over and spend time with you and the baby while you putter around the house, or take a quick nap, or something?

Hugs. It really does get easier.

Beth568
I had to respond again because I understand very much how you feel about not wanting to be away from your DD. It took me a LONG time to feel comfortable leaving my DD1 with anyone else, even my mom or my ILs (well, my MIL is nuts, so that's a bit of a different issue).

Anyway, FWIW, it gets a little easier to deal with leaving them as they get older and more verbal. Now that my DD is 4, I don't have a problem because I know she's old enough to understand what she needs and wants, to speak up for herself, and to tell me what happened when she was in someone else's care. I don't remember exactly when I started feeling more comfortable with it, but it was probably when she was close to 2. So I do think that will get easier for you. I know that people probably tell you that you need to let go, and you'll eventually be able to do it. If your mom is close by, maybe you can gradually get used to letting her help by having her come over and spend time with you and the baby while you putter around the house, or take a quick nap, or something?

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

buddyleebaby
06-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks. I really do appreciate it.

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby

buddyleebaby