PDA

View Full Version : Just a little MIL vent...

Beth568
06-29-2006, 05:47 PM
This is minor, but it still bugs me...

WHY must my MIL (who clearly understands that I like to be careful about how much junk my kids eat) preface every offering of candy, ice cream, and other treat to my kids by saying, "Here, I have a yummy treat for you - unless your Mommy doesn't want you to have it."

Nice way to force me to accept food I'd rather not have my kids eat or else very clearly be the bad guy, eh? If she'd shut up about it, I'd be able to live with the occasional treat from Grammy, but she has to do it this way. AAARGH!

Beth568

WHY must my MIL (who clearly understands that I like to be careful about how much junk my kids eat) preface every offering of candy, ice cream, and other treat to my kids by saying, "Here, I have a yummy treat for you - unless your Mommy doesn't want you to have it."

Nice way to force me to accept food I'd rather not have my kids eat or else very clearly be the bad guy, eh? If she'd shut up about it, I'd be able to live with the occasional treat from Grammy, but she has to do it this way. AAARGH!

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

egfmba
06-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Talk about passive-aggressive! Why on earth is she competing with you?

Have you tried being passive-aggressive back? For instance, have you told your kids in front of her, "Well, since Grammy wants your teeth to rot out of your head, I'll be the good mom and call the dentist now."? Or maybe, "Wow! Grammy's so lucky that she doesn't have to worry about your health!"

Oh well, maybe that's unreasonable. Good luck, and sorry your MIL's being a pain.

eva

egfmba

Have you tried being passive-aggressive back? For instance, have you told your kids in front of her, "Well, since Grammy wants your teeth to rot out of your head, I'll be the good mom and call the dentist now."? Or maybe, "Wow! Grammy's so lucky that she doesn't have to worry about your health!"

Oh well, maybe that's unreasonable. Good luck, and sorry your MIL's being a pain.

eva

egfmba

eva

egfmba

eva

egfmba

eva

egfmba

eva

egfmba

eva

egfmba

eva

egfmba

eva

buddyleebaby
06-29-2006, 06:17 PM
My MOM does that!
It drives me bananas!!!

buddyleebaby
My MOM does that!
It drives me bananas!!!

buddyleebaby
My MOM does that!
It drives me bananas!!!

buddyleebaby
My MOM does that!
It drives me bananas!!!

buddyleebaby
My MOM does that!
It drives me bananas!!!

buddyleebaby
My MOM does that!
It drives me bananas!!!

buddyleebaby
My MOM does that!
It drives me bananas!!!

buddyleebaby
My MOM does that!
It drives me bananas!!!

buddyleebaby
My MOM does that!
It drives me bananas!!!

niccig
06-29-2006, 09:37 PM
My MIL is the same...sympathies.....

niccig

niccig

niccig

niccig

niccig

niccig

niccig

niccig

Raidra
06-30-2006, 10:18 AM
My mom does that, too. We sort of live together (we have something like a two-family, so same building but separate living arrangements), so she sees the kids all the time. I wouldn't mind her spoiling them with candy if she only saw them once a month or something.. but when she offers Colwyn treats at 9:00am two or three times a week, I get really frustrated. This has been going on since he first started eating solids (she was begging me to let him have ice cream at 6 months, Sprite at 10 months).. I don't know why she can't get it through her head that she needs to ask me privately if she wants to give the boys a treat. It bugs me so much that I used to get into HUGE trouble if I asked a friend to sleep over in front of the friend, and yet she can offer my kids junk in front of them.

I hate feeling like a jerk for saying no all the time, but somone's got to. She also likes to let the kids do things like drawing on her coffee table with chalk, spit out their drinks (like a fountain, you know), and other things that I don't want them doing in my house or in front of company. I was so embarassed when Colwyn started singing my mom's version of the Baby Signing Time song - "Eat, eat, what a treat, eat, eat.. poopie!" - in front of his speech therapist.

Raidra
My mom does that, too. We sort of live together (we have something like a two-family, so same building but separate living arrangements), so she sees the kids all the time. I wouldn't mind her spoiling them with candy if she only saw them once a month or something.. but when she offers Colwyn treats at 9:00am two or three times a week, I get really frustrated. This has been going on since he first started eating solids (she was begging me to let him have ice cream at 6 months, Sprite at 10 months).. I don't know why she can't get it through her head that she needs to ask me privately if she wants to give the boys a treat. It bugs me so much that I used to get into HUGE trouble if I asked a friend to sleep over in front of the friend, and yet she can offer my kids junk in front of them.

I hate feeling like a jerk for saying no all the time, but somone's got to. She also likes to let the kids do things like drawing on her coffee table with chalk, spit out their drinks (like a fountain, you know), and other things that I don't want them doing in my house or in front of company. I was so embarassed when Colwyn started singing my mom's version of the Baby Signing Time song - "Eat, eat, what a treat, eat, eat.. poopie!" - in front of his speech therapist.

Raidra

Raidra

Raidra

Raidra

Raidra

Raidra

Raidra

saschalicks
06-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Hey one time my MIL was out to lunch with DH and DS#1 said he was thirsty so she hands him her Diet Coke. Luckily DH said no to his mom and then handed DS his sippy with WATER. I totally understand.

I think you need to do the passive agressive thing too: "oh (enter DC's name here) you can have that sweaty if Grandma wants to worry about your health, so mommy doesn't have to." A few of these and believe me she'll get the hint...

saschalicks
Hey one time my MIL was out to lunch with DH and DS#1 said he was thirsty so she hands him her Diet Coke. Luckily DH said no to his mom and then handed DS his sippy with WATER. I totally understand.

I think you need to do the passive agressive thing too: "oh (enter DC's name here) you can have that sweaty if Grandma wants to worry about your health, so mommy doesn't have to." A few of these and believe me she'll get the hint...

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

saschalicks

Melanie
06-30-2006, 04:23 PM
ooh, that would REALLY steam me. I'd have Dh have a talk with her away from the children, unless your relationship could withstand it. That is TOTALLY inappropriate.

Melanie
ooh, that would REALLY steam me. I'd have Dh have a talk with her away from the children, unless your relationship could withstand it. That is TOTALLY inappropriate.

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie

tina-t
06-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Sheesh!!!

Maybe you or dh can talk to her about this?

tina-t
Sheesh!!!

tina-t
Sheesh!!!

tina-t
Sheesh!!!

tina-t
Sheesh!!!

tina-t
Sheesh!!!

tina-t
Sheesh!!!

tina-t
Sheesh!!!

tina-t
Sheesh!!!