PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 reasons I do NOT want to go to my SIL's "wedding shower weekend"

babystuffbuff
06-30-2006, 08:16 AM
1. Work has been crazy lately; I'm tired and haven't been feeling well. I will be getting straight in the car after work and driving for three hours.

2. DH has been away coaching at various camps for the past three weeks. Now he's home........and we're spending the weekend with 1.5 million of my SIL's friends, in a 2.5-bedroom house with one bathroom.

3. We have no money. Literally. And it's 160 miles each way in DH's SUV, so there goes $120 in gas money. Plus there will be dinners at nice restaurants, drinks, gifts, etc. A weekend with DH's family is never cheap.

4. SIL (and all her friends) like to go to clubs/bars, order endless rounds of beer, and party into the wee hours. I don't. It's not fun for me. But it's SIL's weekend, so I'm sure we're all going to do what she wants to do.

5. Petty, but I'll add it anyhow: DH and I are going to miss watching the start of the Tour de France, which we always watch together every year.

*sigh* I really do love my SIL. I'm just mad at myself for agreeing to come in the first place. I wasn't going to, and I should have kept it that way. Stupid me. I should have just mailed a gift and been done with it. :(

Sarah

Auntie to my seven munchkins, and thinking about TTC a munchkin of our own :)

babystuffbuff
1. Work has been crazy lately; I'm tired and haven't been feeling well. I will be getting straight in the car after work and driving for three hours.

2. DH has been away coaching at various camps for the past three weeks. Now he's home........and we're spending the weekend with 1.5 million of my SIL's friends, in a 2.5-bedroom house with one bathroom.

3. We have no money. Literally. And it's 160 miles each way in DH's SUV, so there goes $120 in gas money. Plus there will be dinners at nice restaurants, drinks, gifts, etc. A weekend with DH's family is never cheap.

4. SIL (and all her friends) like to go to clubs/bars, order endless rounds of beer, and party into the wee hours. I don't. It's not fun for me. But it's SIL's weekend, so I'm sure we're all going to do what she wants to do.

5. Petty, but I'll add it anyhow: DH and I are going to miss watching the start of the Tour de France, which we always watch together every year.

*sigh* I really do love my SIL. I'm just mad at myself for agreeing to come in the first place. I wasn't going to, and I should have kept it that way. Stupid me. I should have just mailed a gift and been done with it. :(

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

janeybwild
06-30-2006, 08:26 AM
A whole weekend? I had heard that that was getting to be the norm, but how are people supposed to afford that plus the wedding? Its crazy. I feel your pain. Hope someone comes up with either a graceful way for you to exit the weekend or some words to make you feel better about going.

janeybwild
A whole weekend? I had heard that that was getting to be the norm, but how are people supposed to afford that plus the wedding? Its crazy. I feel your pain. Hope someone comes up with either a graceful way for you to exit the weekend or some words to make you feel better about going.

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

janeybwild

babystuffbuff
06-30-2006, 08:54 AM
>A whole weekend? I had heard that that was getting to be the norm

Yep. SIL's fiancee had a "bachelor weekend" in Aspen in February. It was $400 for just the plane ticket, plus they were staying in some fancy chalet on a mountain. DH did not attend. :P

I'm sorry, but just because you can afford these things doesn't mean you should assume that everyone else will be able to.

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Yep. SIL's fiancee had a "bachelor weekend" in Aspen in February. It was $400 for just the plane ticket, plus they were staying in some fancy chalet on a mountain. DH did not attend. :P

I'm sorry, but just because you can afford these things doesn't mean you should assume that everyone else will be able to.

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

sidmand
06-30-2006, 09:15 AM
That stinks. Hopefully you can find some time to sneak away (with so many people!) and at least get some alone time with your DH. Plus the ride there and back--good car alone time, sort of?

Sorry you don't just get to hang out. I understand agreeing to things for family that you shouldn't have or wish you didn't.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

sidmand
That stinks. Hopefully you can find some time to sneak away (with so many people!) and at least get some alone time with your DH. Plus the ride there and back--good car alone time, sort of?

Sorry you don't just get to hang out. I understand agreeing to things for family that you shouldn't have or wish you didn't.

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

sidmand

Debbie

lfp2n
06-30-2006, 12:33 PM
No advice, that really stinks.

- But the TDF will be a sad event, now Ullrich and Basso are out and sounds like 50 others are being done for blood doping. We always watch it together too.

Lucy DD 3/04

lfp2n

- But the TDF will be a sad event, now Ullrich and Basso are out and sounds like 50 others are being done for blood doping. We always watch it together too.

Lucy DD 3/04

lfp2n

Lucy DD 3/04

lfp2n

Lucy DD 3/04

lfp2n

Lucy DD 3/04

lfp2n

Lucy DD 3/04

lfp2n

Lucy DD 3/04

lfp2n

Lucy DD 3/04

lfp2n

Lucy DD 3/04

alleyoop
06-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Sarah, You look like you aren't feeling well. Seriously, I can see from here how green your face is! Are you going to throw up? Because if you do, I would appreciate it if you use the bathroom downstairs, or a bucket. Can I get you a bucket? You know how contagious those 24hour stomach bugs are! You better not go and infect all those people!

;)

alleyoop
Sarah, You look like you aren't feeling well. Seriously, I can see from here how green your face is! Are you going to throw up? Because if you do, I would appreciate it if you use the bathroom downstairs, or a bucket. Can I get you a bucket? You know how contagious those 24hour stomach bugs are! You better not go and infect all those people!

;)

alleyoop

;)

alleyoop

;)

alleyoop

;)

alleyoop

;)

alleyoop

;)

alleyoop

;)

alleyoop

;)

babystuffbuff
06-30-2006, 02:05 PM
>Can I get you a bucket?

HA! Yes, Heather, I would love it if you would get me a bucket. Thanks for the laugh. :)

Unfortunately, I'll be on the road in about half an hour. Please send "have a nice attitude" vibes......

Sarah

babystuffbuff
>Can I get you a bucket?

HA! Yes, Heather, I would love it if you would get me a bucket. Thanks for the laugh. :)

Unfortunately, I'll be on the road in about half an hour. Please send "have a nice attitude" vibes......

Sarah

babystuffbuff
>Can I get you a bucket?

Sarah

babystuffbuff
>Can I get you a bucket?

Sarah

babystuffbuff
>Can I get you a bucket?

Sarah

babystuffbuff
>Can I get you a bucket?

Sarah

babystuffbuff
>Can I get you a bucket?

Sarah

babystuffbuff
>Can I get you a bucket?

Sarah

babystuffbuff
>Can I get you a bucket?

Sarah

bubbaray
06-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry, missing the start of the Tour is non-negotiable! She should have picked a different weekend.... ;)

If you don't want to go, can't afford to go, don't go.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

bubbaray
Sorry, missing the start of the Tour is non-negotiable! She should have picked a different weekend.... ;)

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

bubbaray

Melissa

babystuffbuff
07-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Well, I *thought* my favorite part of the weekend was driving someone else's car through Atlantic City at midnight, no clue where I was going, with nine drunk women in the back screaming "shouldn't you have turned there?", the music pumped up to a deafening level, and my SIL in the front seat next to me, yelling over the music, "so why don't you like to drink?" (It was all I could do to not reply, "look in the mirror").

But no. It turns out that my favorite part of the weekend was waiting by myself for 45 minutes at 2:00 AM for the valet to bring the car out so I could finally go home, only to be told by the guy in charge of valet parking at the casino that they were trying to figure out if they locked they keys in the car.

Hmmm, 9 months of pregnancy + 2 years of nursing = 1004 days of no one questioning me about why I don't drink. I can't wait. *sigh* Why can't "I just don't enjoy it" be an acceptable answer, and why does "Sarah's sober" = "great, now we don't have to take a cab, since she can haul us all over town"? Blech. :(

Sarah

babystuffbuff
Well, I *thought* my favorite part of the weekend was driving someone else's car through Atlantic City at midnight, no clue where I was going, with nine drunk women in the back screaming "shouldn't you have turned there?", the music pumped up to a deafening level, and my SIL in the front seat next to me, yelling over the music, "so why don't you like to drink?" (It was all I could do to not reply, "look in the mirror").

But no. It turns out that my favorite part of the weekend was waiting by myself for 45 minutes at 2:00 AM for the valet to bring the car out so I could finally go home, only to be told by the guy in charge of valet parking at the casino that they were trying to figure out if they locked they keys in the car.

Hmmm, 9 months of pregnancy + 2 years of nursing = 1004 days of no one questioning me about why I don't drink. I can't wait. *sigh* Why can't "I just don't enjoy it" be an acceptable answer, and why does "Sarah's sober" = "great, now we don't have to take a cab, since she can haul us all over town"? Blech. :(

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

babystuffbuff

Sarah

KBecks
07-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Gosh, I'm sorry. Social obligations can suck. DH is standing up in a wedding later in the summer that we can barely afford (but we're making it happen anyway), and then the friends planned a crazy expensive bachelor party that DH won't be able to go to because it's just too much (not to mention we'll have a new kidlet.)

I don't know what to say since it sounds like you're stuck. But, hang in there and try to make the best in any way you can. Try to still have fun, because if you focus on the negatives you'll for sure have a yucky time.

KBecks
Gosh, I'm sorry. Social obligations can suck. DH is standing up in a wedding later in the summer that we can barely afford (but we're making it happen anyway), and then the friends planned a crazy expensive bachelor party that DH won't be able to go to because it's just too much (not to mention we'll have a new kidlet.)

I don't know what to say since it sounds like you're stuck. But, hang in there and try to make the best in any way you can. Try to still have fun, because if you focus on the negatives you'll for sure have a yucky time.

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks

KBecks