PDA

View Full Version : Offhand Criticism by a Friend re:My Parenting--LONG

kfk
06-30-2006, 01:21 PM
This has really thrown me for some reason, maybe because I'm stressed out about my Monster-in-Law's arrival this Sunday.

Anyway, I'm good friends with one of my co-workers. Today, we were working out at the Reference Desk together and I told her that we put our loveseat out on our balcony because my boys were trying to balance sitting sideways on the back of it. Now, we had already removed the back cushions long ago, and had pulled it out from under the window because of hazards that posed. I then made a joke that we were now "white trash" because we had our furniture on our balcony.

Her response was something like "Well, somehow my mother got across that we were not to touch the furniture with our feet." I replied, "Well probably not at 20 months." And she kind of shrugged, and said something about older sisters who made sure she followed the rules. I didn't even mention that twin boys might be a different story.

Anyway, I'm bugged. My boys are active but not wild. And, we are pretty strict about somethings: aggressive behaviors, bedtime, etc. But, our apartment has a lot of hazards that we can't fix, (and some that we just haven't dealt with) but it seemed easier last night to just remove the problems, and props. to DH for doing it.

Yesterday, I also let one of my boys do a lot of splashing in the water area at a Children's Museum, which did get other kids wet, so they scooted away from him. At the time I figured water wouldn't hurt anyone (unlike sand), and that there was no good way to stop the behavior, without totally removing him, and really no reason to, since the area was all about water play.

Have I completely lost sight of enforcing rules? Am I justified in being bugged by this comment?

kfk
This has really thrown me for some reason, maybe because I'm stressed out about my Monster-in-Law's arrival this Sunday.

Anyway, I'm good friends with one of my co-workers. Today, we were working out at the Reference Desk together and I told her that we put our loveseat out on our balcony because my boys were trying to balance sitting sideways on the back of it. Now, we had already removed the back cushions long ago, and had pulled it out from under the window because of hazards that posed. I then made a joke that we were now "white trash" because we had our furniture on our balcony.

Her response was something like "Well, somehow my mother got across that we were not to touch the furniture with our feet." I replied, "Well probably not at 20 months." And she kind of shrugged, and said something about older sisters who made sure she followed the rules. I didn't even mention that twin boys might be a different story.

Anyway, I'm bugged. My boys are active but not wild. And, we are pretty strict about somethings: aggressive behaviors, bedtime, etc. But, our apartment has a lot of hazards that we can't fix, (and some that we just haven't dealt with) but it seemed easier last night to just remove the problems, and props. to DH for doing it.

Yesterday, I also let one of my boys do a lot of splashing in the water area at a Children's Museum, which did get other kids wet, so they scooted away from him. At the time I figured water wouldn't hurt anyone (unlike sand), and that there was no good way to stop the behavior, without totally removing him, and really no reason to, since the area was all about water play.

Have I completely lost sight of enforcing rules? Am I justified in being bugged by this comment?

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

elliput
06-30-2006, 01:42 PM
I hate to say this, but the your friend's mother most likely enforced the "no feet on furniture" rule with a belt. This would explain the shrug off.

My DD climbs all over our sofa. At this age she is interested in climbing and exploring, not sitting quietly. And if I am lax enough to let the cats and dog sleep on the furniture then I surely cannot stop DD! :-)

Kids need to be allowed to be juvenile. They need to have fun, they need to be able to splash in water. Your son was having fun splashing, and he was also learning and exploring (though not realizing it). There are so many things we get wrapped up in as parents that we lose sight of what being a child is all about, and we do our children major disservice by not having them experience many things personally.

Where's the water? I want to splash! :-)

elliput
I hate to say this, but the your friend's mother most likely enforced the "no feet on furniture" rule with a belt. This would explain the shrug off.

My DD climbs all over our sofa. At this age she is interested in climbing and exploring, not sitting quietly. And if I am lax enough to let the cats and dog sleep on the furniture then I surely cannot stop DD! :-)

Kids need to be allowed to be juvenile. They need to have fun, they need to be able to splash in water. Your son was having fun splashing, and he was also learning and exploring (though not realizing it). There are so many things we get wrapped up in as parents that we lose sight of what being a child is all about, and we do our children major disservice by not having them experience many things personally.

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

elliput

s_gosney
06-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Keri,
Hugs to you! It's so hard to feel criticized, but really you just have to try to let people's comments roll off your back. My first thought though was to wonder if your friend has a child of her own. I know that before I had a child, it would have been much more difficult for me to understand the situation you're describing.

As for splashing at the Children's museum, if there's a water table, some splashing is certainly to be expected. I would probably only try to discourage the behavior if it was really upsetting the other children or if there was no room for them to move away and it was preventing them from playing.

I don't think you've lost sight of enforcing rules. I totally agree with pp. Children need to be allowed to be childlike, and sadly our society has lost sight of this, IMO. I think that I would have been bugged by a comment like your friends, but I would try to get over it. You just have to know that you're doing what's best for your DC and no one else can realistically know what that is better than you.

s_gosney
Keri,
Hugs to you! It's so hard to feel criticized, but really you just have to try to let people's comments roll off your back. My first thought though was to wonder if your friend has a child of her own. I know that before I had a child, it would have been much more difficult for me to understand the situation you're describing.

As for splashing at the Children's museum, if there's a water table, some splashing is certainly to be expected. I would probably only try to discourage the behavior if it was really upsetting the other children or if there was no room for them to move away and it was preventing them from playing.

I don't think you've lost sight of enforcing rules. I totally agree with pp. Children need to be allowed to be childlike, and sadly our society has lost sight of this, IMO. I think that I would have been bugged by a comment like your friends, but I would try to get over it. You just have to know that you're doing what's best for your DC and no one else can realistically know what that is better than you.

s_gosney
Keri,

s_gosney
Keri,

s_gosney
Keri,

s_gosney
Keri,

s_gosney
Keri,

s_gosney
Keri,

s_gosney
Keri,

Lovingliv
06-30-2006, 08:55 PM
I am guessing this friend has no children. You know, the best parents are the ones with no kids.
I also came from the "belt" generation. Power to me for not using this tactic with my own child. You too Mama. One smart BBB mama has a quote on her siggy that says "whatever works today". I am finding that i am using that theory quite often.
Shoulders are round so things can roll off our backs, but sometimes it is easier said than done.

Sounds like you are doing what works for you,,,,pay no attention to the mean judgemental friend behind the curtain!!!

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv
I am guessing this friend has no children. You know, the best parents are the ones with no kids.
I also came from the "belt" generation. Power to me for not using this tactic with my own child. You too Mama. One smart BBB mama has a quote on her siggy that says "whatever works today". I am finding that i am using that theory quite often.
Shoulders are round so things can roll off our backs, but sometimes it is easier said than done.

Sounds like you are doing what works for you,,,,pay no attention to the mean judgemental friend behind the curtain!!!

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

Lovingliv

Hugs to you!

american_mama
06-30-2006, 09:31 PM
I often ask myself the same question that you ended with, which is why I am replying. I often let my children do things in public that seem fine or marginally OK to me, and I often get surprised or downright negative reactions from people who think my kids are too loud, too active, or doing something dangerous. So I sympathize.

With the sofa and the friend, I think you found a solution with the loveseat that works for you. Your friend cannot remember how her mother got messages across when she was 20 months old, so already you and she are not talking apples and apples. It's possible that your friend's comment about the older sisters was to acknowledge that indeed, your family and her family are different. Or even if she didn't mean to acknowlege that, the fact is she did: older siblings as enforcers is not a resource that you have, so your friend's experiences can't apply to you.

I'm sure we've all sometime heard a parent talk about the things they do to manage their kids and thought, "You're twisting yourself into a pretzel for your kids. Who is managing who?" Maybe your friend thought that. If so, I think your friend is wrong. It sounds like you've taking a reasonable approach to the problem, and you're prepared to change it later if it's not working. What more can anyone ask for?

As for the splashing, it's hard to know from your description. If the other kids moved away, doesn't that mean they were bothered by it and maybe you should have stopped your son? I don't know: that's the first thing I thought. But you are also right that water doesn't hurt, water at the water table is for playing, and your call to let him do it was not crazy or mean-spirited. There is value in both a very controlled and a more explorative approach to raising kids; don't let the critics make you lose sight of that.

american_mama
I often ask myself the same question that you ended with, which is why I am replying. I often let my children do things in public that seem fine or marginally OK to me, and I often get surprised or downright negative reactions from people who think my kids are too loud, too active, or doing something dangerous. So I sympathize.

With the sofa and the friend, I think you found a solution with the loveseat that works for you. Your friend cannot remember how her mother got messages across when she was 20 months old, so already you and she are not talking apples and apples. It's possible that your friend's comment about the older sisters was to acknowledge that indeed, your family and her family are different. Or even if she didn't mean to acknowlege that, the fact is she did: older siblings as enforcers is not a resource that you have, so your friend's experiences can't apply to you.

I'm sure we've all sometime heard a parent talk about the things they do to manage their kids and thought, "You're twisting yourself into a pretzel for your kids. Who is managing who?" Maybe your friend thought that. If so, I think your friend is wrong. It sounds like you've taking a reasonable approach to the problem, and you're prepared to change it later if it's not working. What more can anyone ask for?

As for the splashing, it's hard to know from your description. If the other kids moved away, doesn't that mean they were bothered by it and maybe you should have stopped your son? I don't know: that's the first thing I thought. But you are also right that water doesn't hurt, water at the water table is for playing, and your call to let him do it was not crazy or mean-spirited. There is value in both a very controlled and a more explorative approach to raising kids; don't let the critics make you lose sight of that.

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

boogiemom
07-01-2006, 12:38 PM
FWIW, I have two sons. My oldest is almost 5 years old and my youngest is almost 15 months. I tell you this only so you know that I have BTDT since the general consensus is that your friend clearly doesn't know because she likely has no children.

At our house, there is no standing on the furniture. As far as I'm concerned it is a safety issue. I've never let it happen. My youngest loves to be up on the couch right now and I'm fine with him being up with us if he sits. If he is going to be up and playing around then he must be on the floor. It's never been a huge issue but that's probably only because it's been the same rule since the beginning. It is normal for them to try to sit up on the back if they've always been allowed to climb around up there.

I also try to remember that we have to leave the house with our children and the only way I can expect them to know how to behave in public or in someone else's home is to teach them how to behave in our home. Personally I have found that it is impossible to remove all possible hazards, therefore I must teach them to use things appropriately. So, in our house, a couch is for sitting.

I think it is quite an assumption for someone to take what your friend said about her mother teaching rules, and making that into a statement that implies that her mother spanked with a belt. That's a reach. I have never spanked my children with a belt and they do know the rules. Sometimes they choose to ignore them. My 15 month old obviously doesn't have many that I expect him to know but he does know that we don't stand on furniture. I've never had to spank him for him to understand this rule. If he sits on the couch, he can stay. If he stands, I put him on the floor. It doesn't take long for them to get that message clearly.

As far as the water incident goes, obviously you are questioning your own decision to let your child continue to splash to the extent that he was bothering other children. Personally, I'm all for splashing and having fun. However, in a public place where there are other children trying to have fun, I try to teach my kids that we have to respect each other. This means that I would point out that the enthusiastic splashing was bothering the other kids and demonstrate how we might be able to splash differently or pour water in and out of cups, etc. so that everyone could enjoy the water fun. If we are at home, splash away because you aren't bothering anyone.

Only you can decide what rules are important in your house. Mine don't work for every family. However, it is possible to teach a child boundaries and respect for people and property without spanking.

As far as being bugged by the comment.... when you brought up the subject you were inviting comment. My friend and I have discussions like this all of the time. We don't always agree with each other but we are friends and we respect that we have different opinions. If it bothers you, then now you know that your parenting decisions and issues are not a topic that you want to bring up in the future when you are talking with this friend.

Hopefully you will find your parenting comfort zone and gain the confidence that you are making the best decisions possible for your family at this time. Once you feel that way, it won't matter what other people say. Good Luck!

boogiemom
FWIW, I have two sons. My oldest is almost 5 years old and my youngest is almost 15 months. I tell you this only so you know that I have BTDT since the general consensus is that your friend clearly doesn't know because she likely has no children.

At our house, there is no standing on the furniture. As far as I'm concerned it is a safety issue. I've never let it happen. My youngest loves to be up on the couch right now and I'm fine with him being up with us if he sits. If he is going to be up and playing around then he must be on the floor. It's never been a huge issue but that's probably only because it's been the same rule since the beginning. It is normal for them to try to sit up on the back if they've always been allowed to climb around up there.

I also try to remember that we have to leave the house with our children and the only way I can expect them to know how to behave in public or in someone else's home is to teach them how to behave in our home. Personally I have found that it is impossible to remove all possible hazards, therefore I must teach them to use things appropriately. So, in our house, a couch is for sitting.

I think it is quite an assumption for someone to take what your friend said about her mother teaching rules, and making that into a statement that implies that her mother spanked with a belt. That's a reach. I have never spanked my children with a belt and they do know the rules. Sometimes they choose to ignore them. My 15 month old obviously doesn't have many that I expect him to know but he does know that we don't stand on furniture. I've never had to spank him for him to understand this rule. If he sits on the couch, he can stay. If he stands, I put him on the floor. It doesn't take long for them to get that message clearly.

As far as the water incident goes, obviously you are questioning your own decision to let your child continue to splash to the extent that he was bothering other children. Personally, I'm all for splashing and having fun. However, in a public place where there are other children trying to have fun, I try to teach my kids that we have to respect each other. This means that I would point out that the enthusiastic splashing was bothering the other kids and demonstrate how we might be able to splash differently or pour water in and out of cups, etc. so that everyone could enjoy the water fun. If we are at home, splash away because you aren't bothering anyone.

Only you can decide what rules are important in your house. Mine don't work for every family. However, it is possible to teach a child boundaries and respect for people and property without spanking.

As far as being bugged by the comment.... when you brought up the subject you were inviting comment. My friend and I have discussions like this all of the time. We don't always agree with each other but we are friends and we respect that we have different opinions. If it bothers you, then now you know that your parenting decisions and issues are not a topic that you want to bring up in the future when you are talking with this friend.

Hopefully you will find your parenting comfort zone and gain the confidence that you are making the best decisions possible for your family at this time. Once you feel that way, it won't matter what other people say. Good Luck!

boogiemom

boogiemom

boogiemom

boogiemom

boogiemom

boogiemom

boogiemom

chiqanita
07-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I have 22 month old twin boys. I don't think she meant anything, just shared what her mama did. Also, unless she has twins, she does not understand what it is to be a mama to twins or any other multiples. I wouldn't dwell on it.

BTW, I've had something similar happen to me with a neighbor whose son is about 8 months older. When you have one child or older children to help, things are totally different. When you have two the same age or very close in age, well life is completly different and so are the rules. I tell my little guys not to splash in our neighborhood pool but they do anyway. I guess as long as the other moms know I am aware maybe they'll be a little understanding. You can't control twin balls of energy, let me see them try! ;P

Keep on being the same good mama to your two miracles!

chiqanita
I have 22 month old twin boys. I don't think she meant anything, just shared what her mama did. Also, unless she has twins, she does not understand what it is to be a mama to twins or any other multiples. I wouldn't dwell on it.

BTW, I've had something similar happen to me with a neighbor whose son is about 8 months older. When you have one child or older children to help, things are totally different. When you have two the same age or very close in age, well life is completly different and so are the rules. I tell my little guys not to splash in our neighborhood pool but they do anyway. I guess as long as the other moms know I am aware maybe they'll be a little understanding. You can't control twin balls of energy, let me see them try! ;P

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

chiqanita

ShayleighCarsensMom
07-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I would be bugged too!
I had ideas of how I was going to be the perfect parent and always have perfectly behaved and clean kids at all times...
Well it hasnt happened. Instead we have locks on our toilets, locks on our fridge, on our pantry, on most cupboards.
We dont have ANY breakables in sight. I had one crystal bowl on the mantel (hey its high enough right??) and it was used as a basketball hoop :(
If you want to stay sane and happy you just have to let some things go. I got tired of saying no no no all day long. Removing items from my home and locking things up was much easier on my sanity and my children.
Now we are all happy :)

ShayleighCarsensMom
I would be bugged too!
I had ideas of how I was going to be the perfect parent and always have perfectly behaved and clean kids at all times...
Well it hasnt happened. Instead we have locks on our toilets, locks on our fridge, on our pantry, on most cupboards.
We dont have ANY breakables in sight. I had one crystal bowl on the mantel (hey its high enough right??) and it was used as a basketball hoop :(
If you want to stay sane and happy you just have to let some things go. I got tired of saying no no no all day long. Removing items from my home and locking things up was much easier on my sanity and my children.

ShayleighCarsensMom
I would be bugged too!

ShayleighCarsensMom
I would be bugged too!

ShayleighCarsensMom
I would be bugged too!

ShayleighCarsensMom
I would be bugged too!

ShayleighCarsensMom
I would be bugged too!

ShayleighCarsensMom
I would be bugged too!

ShayleighCarsensMom
I would be bugged too!

kfk
07-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments, support and food for thought. Well, the loveseat has returned! Mama needed someplace to sit and cuddle when somebody thought 5 am was an appropriate wake-up time!

As for rules, I think it's a work in progress at our house. It's funny, how the reality of active twins can throw a monkey wrench into your conception of how your household would run before you had kids. I know my friends with twins completely understand how the dynamic of 2 at the exact same developmental stage can go from calm to crazy in a snap.

And parenting decisions/styles do differ. I am comfortable with my decision at the water play area (there was plenty of room for all kids to have fun without getting wet)--and there were several parents telling their kids NOT to get wet (which surprised me). In contrast to a previous poster, it was much safer for my son to be splashy at the Museum than in our tub, which has scary glass doors that we can't remove (we rent).

Yet, I always enforce rules at the playground, like not throwing sand, taking turns on the swings, not grabbing toys, etc., and it's sometimes hard for me when other parents don't do the same!

Anyway, Happy 4th everyone.

kfk
Thanks everyone for your comments, support and food for thought. Well, the loveseat has returned! Mama needed someplace to sit and cuddle when somebody thought 5 am was an appropriate wake-up time!

As for rules, I think it's a work in progress at our house. It's funny, how the reality of active twins can throw a monkey wrench into your conception of how your household would run before you had kids. I know my friends with twins completely understand how the dynamic of 2 at the exact same developmental stage can go from calm to crazy in a snap.

And parenting decisions/styles do differ. I am comfortable with my decision at the water play area (there was plenty of room for all kids to have fun without getting wet)--and there were several parents telling their kids NOT to get wet (which surprised me). In contrast to a previous poster, it was much safer for my son to be splashy at the Museum than in our tub, which has scary glass doors that we can't remove (we rent).

Yet, I always enforce rules at the playground, like not throwing sand, taking turns on the swings, not grabbing toys, etc., and it's sometimes hard for me when other parents don't do the same!

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

kfk

JTsMom
07-03-2006, 11:14 AM
On that note, have you seen this? I kept meaning to post it, but never got around to it.

http://www.babycenter.com/general/1488849.html

Read the Humble Pie section.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

JTsMom
On that note, have you seen this? I kept meaning to post it, but never got around to it.

JTsMom

JTsMom

JTsMom

JTsMom

JTsMom

JTsMom

JTsMom

kfk
07-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Love this:

"I'm not brilliant, or special, I'm just another mom trying her best."

I try to remind myself that my boys are simply acting their age, and I need to act mine, as well! So rather than being reactive and angry when they are challenging, I need to take some deep breaths, be creative and/or playful and/or soothing to change-up the energy. And, yes, sometimes a rule needs to be enforced, with an understanding that this will NOT make you the most popular person in the room!

For me the challenge is to forgive myself when I'm not the best I can be and start the next day fresh and upbeat.

kfk
Love this:

I try to remind myself that my boys are simply acting their age, and I need to act mine, as well! So rather than being reactive and angry when they are challenging, I need to take some deep breaths, be creative and/or playful and/or soothing to change-up the energy. And, yes, sometimes a rule needs to be enforced, with an understanding that this will NOT make you the most popular person in the room!

For me the challenge is to forgive myself when I'm not the best I can be and start the next day fresh and upbeat.

kfk
Love this:

kfk
Love this:

kfk
Love this:

kfk
Love this:

kfk
Love this:

kfk
Love this:

kfk
Love this:

JTsMom
07-03-2006, 05:28 PM
>
>I try to remind myself that my boys are simply acting their
>age, and I need to act mine, as well!

LOL! Amen to that. Me and you both. Glad you got something from it. I get a kick out of some of her entries. It seems like her DD and my DS are always at the same stage give or take a week.

JTsMom
>

LOL! Amen to that. Me and you both. Glad you got something from it. I get a kick out of some of her entries. It seems like her DD and my DS are always at the same stage give or take a week.

JTsMom
>

JTsMom
>

JTsMom
>

JTsMom
>

JTsMom
>

JTsMom
>

JTsMom
>

cmdunn1972
07-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Keri, my own Mom would say you are an awesome parent! She's always told us, "pick your battles", and you are following exactly that.

You hit the nail on the head when you said that raising twin boys is wholly different than raising a house full of girls. Maybe your co-worker's Mom had different battles to pick. Either way, she was out of line.

Btw, you also picked your battles with your friend by choosing not to overreact to her ignorant comment and simply shelve it for future reference. My guess is that after this you will take her comments with a grain (or two) of salt.

cmdunn1972
Keri, my own Mom would say you are an awesome parent! She's always told us, "pick your battles", and you are following exactly that.

You hit the nail on the head when you said that raising twin boys is wholly different than raising a house full of girls. Maybe your co-worker's Mom had different battles to pick. Either way, she was out of line.

Btw, you also picked your battles with your friend by choosing not to overreact to her ignorant comment and simply shelve it for future reference. My guess is that after this you will take her comments with a grain (or two) of salt.

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

cmdunn1972

american_mama
07-05-2006, 10:44 PM
I really like that "Humble Pie" piece. Thanks for posting it!

My sister has four kids, the last three of whom are pretty easy. Her first is much more independent and a little argumentative. She firmly believes that he is her son to keep her from getting cocky, whcih I think is a great attitude.

american_mama

My sister has four kids, the last three of whom are pretty easy. Her first is much more independent and a little argumentative. She firmly believes that he is her son to keep her from getting cocky, whcih I think is a great attitude.

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

american_mama

dules
07-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Let me guess, your friend has no kids? She hasn't any idea what it's like, and certainly not with twins. FWIW my sister has twins, her DH is a twin, and he remembers his mom TYING him and his brother to a CHAIR to get housework done. Well, she got the housework done but my sister and her DH still found other ways to get theirs done without the rope. :)

I'm trying to think of a good snarky comeback for the next time your coworker says something like that to you. ;)

Best,
Mary

dules
Let me guess, your friend has no kids? She hasn't any idea what it's like, and certainly not with twins. FWIW my sister has twins, her DH is a twin, and he remembers his mom TYING him and his brother to a CHAIR to get housework done. Well, she got the housework done but my sister and her DH still found other ways to get theirs done without the rope. :)

I'm trying to think of a good snarky comeback for the next time your coworker says something like that to you. ;)

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

dules

Best,
Mary

s_gosney
07-06-2006, 07:21 PM
This reminded me of something one of my mom's friends told me (this lady's in her 70's). She said that when her kids were small (pre-playpens) she would tuck the edge of their clothes under the leg of the dining table so they couldn't get into stuff. Crazy, huh? :)

s_gosney
This reminded me of something one of my mom's friends told me (this lady's in her 70's). She said that when her kids were small (pre-playpens) she would tuck the edge of their clothes under the leg of the dining table so they couldn't get into stuff. Crazy, huh? :)

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney

s_gosney