PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors who should just not own a home

AddiesMom
06-30-2006, 04:03 PM
I am just so fed up with my neighbors, they just can't take care of their homes and it is embarassing to the rest of us who bust our butts. My street of about 20 homes turns into a cul-de-sac and the 3 houses at the end of it were about $10k-$15k more as premium lots. Ironically the 3 premium lot houses in the cul-de-sac are turning into the ghetto. They never mow their lawn, oh correct me, mow the weeds. No landscaping, toys all over the yard (the neighbors calls one house "Malcoms House" like Malcom in the Middle). One neighbor left a old stroller out in the rain for a week. When the snow melted in the spring, the sprinkler was still in the lawn. One of them let his dogs constantly crap in the grassy area of the cul-de-sac until my DH confronted him and they nearly had a fight in the street. I could only imagine what these houses look like inside.

What ticks me off more, my DH travels for work and is only home Fri-Sunday and somehow we find the time to take care of our house. The lots are 1/3 to 1/5 acre so it isn't too much to handle. One of the houses bought a riding lawnmower 3 years ago, I can count on one hand how many times I have seen it used. It just ticks me off that there are people who would give anyting to have a house and these people totally take it for granted and just don't deserve it. We are now into summer #3 and I feel I just can't keep my mouth shut anymore. Any extra money we get, we put it into the house and have worked so hard to get where we are... and other people are just making my little world into a dump.

AddiesMom
I am just so fed up with my neighbors, they just can't take care of their homes and it is embarassing to the rest of us who bust our butts. My street of about 20 homes turns into a cul-de-sac and the 3 houses at the end of it were about $10k-$15k more as premium lots. Ironically the 3 premium lot houses in the cul-de-sac are turning into the ghetto. They never mow their lawn, oh correct me, mow the weeds. No landscaping, toys all over the yard (the neighbors calls one house "Malcoms House" like Malcom in the Middle). One neighbor left a old stroller out in the rain for a week. When the snow melted in the spring, the sprinkler was still in the lawn. One of them let his dogs constantly crap in the grassy area of the cul-de-sac until my DH confronted him and they nearly had a fight in the street. I could only imagine what these houses look like inside.

What ticks me off more, my DH travels for work and is only home Fri-Sunday and somehow we find the time to take care of our house. The lots are 1/3 to 1/5 acre so it isn't too much to handle. One of the houses bought a riding lawnmower 3 years ago, I can count on one hand how many times I have seen it used. It just ticks me off that there are people who would give anyting to have a house and these people totally take it for granted and just don't deserve it. We are now into summer #3 and I feel I just can't keep my mouth shut anymore. Any extra money we get, we put it into the house and have worked so hard to get where we are... and other people are just making my little world into a dump.

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

nfowife
06-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Do you have an HOA that you can call and complain to? We are having a similar issue with our neighbor. It is a large Indian family (3 generations) who just moved in. They are very nice and well-meaning, but I think they have bitten off WAY more than they can chew with this house in terms of the landscaping maintenance it needs. We try to give them advice in terms of who to call to get it taken care of, but they just don't get it and it's turning out to be quite an eyesore. And it's a home that they paid almost a million dollars for!! Such a shame for such a beautiful home to go to such crap. I feel for you!

nfowife
Do you have an HOA that you can call and complain to? We are having a similar issue with our neighbor. It is a large Indian family (3 generations) who just moved in. They are very nice and well-meaning, but I think they have bitten off WAY more than they can chew with this house in terms of the landscaping maintenance it needs. We try to give them advice in terms of who to call to get it taken care of, but they just don't get it and it's turning out to be quite an eyesore. And it's a home that they paid almost a million dollars for!! Such a shame for such a beautiful home to go to such crap. I feel for you!

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

nfowife

ethansmom
06-30-2006, 07:37 PM
If you don't have a HOA (and even if you do!) can your city/township do anything? Most have some sort of ordinance concerning how tall the grass/weeds can be, and even how "weedy" the lawn can get regardless of height. We have a HOA, but get faster results w/the township since they ticket after one warning and keep ticketing until the problem is resolved.

ethansmom
If you don't have a HOA (and even if you do!) can your city/township do anything? Most have some sort of ordinance concerning how tall the grass/weeds can be, and even how "weedy" the lawn can get regardless of height. We have a HOA, but get faster results w/the township since they ticket after one warning and keep ticketing until the problem is resolved.

ethansmom

ethansmom

ethansmom

ethansmom

ethansmom

ethansmom

ethansmom

AddiesMom
06-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Nothing! I called the town last year and we don't even have a 'pooper scooper' law!

AddiesMom
Nothing! I called the town last year and we don't even have a 'pooper scooper' law!

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

AddiesMom

Marisa6826
06-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Call your local health department and lodge a complaint. You can say that they have standing water and you're concerned about West Nile Virus.

-m

ETA - if your town doesn't have anything, call your county health dept.

Marisa6826
Call your local health department and lodge a complaint. You can say that they have standing water and you're concerned about West Nile Virus.

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

randomkid
07-01-2006, 10:07 PM
I feel your pain! We lived in a neighborhood like that. Some took really good care of their homes and others let them go to crap. Fortunately, we moved out of that neighborhood the week that someone was painting their house purple! We had an HOA and do you think they did anything about that purple house? No, but the "president" would steal our Home For Sale signs because he didn't want them out by the main road because it "made the neighborhood look bad" Ha - I think the big gold lion in the front yard of the most visible house in the place maybe beat us to it!

I understand your frustration and we just had to move because we heard that there was drug dealing starting in there.

A couple of suggestions for you. You mentioned toys in the yard, so that means kids. If you have anyway to see the inside of that home, I would try. Our next door neighbor had 2 young children and their home didn't look so bad from the outside. Well, they divorced and their house was foreclosed on. When they moved out, they left a lot of stuff. I went inside with another neighbor who wanted to get some of her things back that she had loaned them. OMG! I couldn't believe the condition of the house. It was filthy with dog poop on the floor and garbage stacked to the ceiling in the garage. When HUD cleaned out the house, we had these HUGE cockroaches that moved in. They had to come from that house since we never had them before. If I had known the condition of that house, I would have called child protective services. Oh, and the Dad was a nurse!

The other thought is code enforcement. I think that is county or city. Look in the government listings in your phone book and see if there is a number for Code Enforcemnent. They may be able to do something to help.

randomkid
I feel your pain! We lived in a neighborhood like that. Some took really good care of their homes and others let them go to crap. Fortunately, we moved out of that neighborhood the week that someone was painting their house purple! We had an HOA and do you think they did anything about that purple house? No, but the "president" would steal our Home For Sale signs because he didn't want them out by the main road because it "made the neighborhood look bad" Ha - I think the big gold lion in the front yard of the most visible house in the place maybe beat us to it!

I understand your frustration and we just had to move because we heard that there was drug dealing starting in there.

A couple of suggestions for you. You mentioned toys in the yard, so that means kids. If you have anyway to see the inside of that home, I would try. Our next door neighbor had 2 young children and their home didn't look so bad from the outside. Well, they divorced and their house was foreclosed on. When they moved out, they left a lot of stuff. I went inside with another neighbor who wanted to get some of her things back that she had loaned them. OMG! I couldn't believe the condition of the house. It was filthy with dog poop on the floor and garbage stacked to the ceiling in the garage. When HUD cleaned out the house, we had these HUGE cockroaches that moved in. They had to come from that house since we never had them before. If I had known the condition of that house, I would have called child protective services. Oh, and the Dad was a nurse!

The other thought is code enforcement. I think that is county or city. Look in the government listings in your phone book and see if there is a number for Code Enforcemnent. They may be able to do something to help.

randomkid

randomkid

randomkid

randomkid

randomkid

randomkid

randomkid

khalloc
07-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry. It sucks to live next to people like that but really its their perogative if they dont want to mow their lawn. Maybe they shouldn't own a house if they cant do the upkeep. I would hardly say that they dont deserve it. People have different priorities. I am sympathizing with you that it must be unnerving to live next to people like that but its their house and their land. I am not familiar with townships or HOAs but I guess if there are no community laws there is not much that you can do.

khalloc
I'm sorry. It sucks to live next to people like that but really its their perogative if they dont want to mow their lawn. Maybe they shouldn't own a house if they cant do the upkeep. I would hardly say that they dont deserve it. People have different priorities. I am sympathizing with you that it must be unnerving to live next to people like that but its their house and their land. I am not familiar with townships or HOAs but I guess if there are no community laws there is not much that you can do.

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc

khalloc