PDA

View Full Version : What to do about Mom and DH???

mariza
07-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Lets just say that my Mom and DH have had a strained relationship at best (long story, I won't go into now). Since we moved back to my home state we've had to rent from my Mom, although since the sale of our old house fell through we haven't actually paid her any rent.
Anyway, her car died so she drives mine while DH and I share his, he drives me and picks me up from work every day. The other night DH brings down the baby monitor to my Mom so he can pick me up from work. He tells her DD is settleing down and asks her not to go upstairs. (She used to be a great sleeper, but my Mom has been regressing her by rocking and singing her to sleep) We are trying to break her of this bad habit since DS is arriving next month and I won't be able to do all of that with DD when he gets here.
So, we get home and of course my Mom is upstairs with a wide awake DD. I was pretty visible unhappy and asked her why she didn't leave DD like DH asked. She claims that DH asked her to go upstairs if the baby cried, which I know is not true becasue we have the same discussion every day.
I was mad because DD didn't get to sleep until about 2am and was off her schedule for 2-3days. BUT I let it go...now my Mom keeps bringing it up calling DH a liar and claiming that he "lied and instigated" on purpose to create tension between me and her. WTH???
She and I have had tension as long as I can remember, way before I even met DH, so she really doesn't need him for that to happen.
I appreciate everything she's done to help us move back, but now I'm so upset and want to get out of this apartment ASAP, only we are stuck because our house is not selling and DH has not been working since we moved, although he is starting a new job now that allows him to work from home. DS is due at the end of August so I really can't see us moving with a newborn in the near future anyway.

It's to the point where my Mother will not speak to DH and I can't handle the tension, I just don't know what to do. Once my Mom gets an idea into her head she beleives it with all her heart and will hold a grudge forever. I don't think adivce will help, I've tried every approach to try and get through to her over the years, she is just so stubborn. I guess I just needed to vent, so if you made it this far thanks for listening!

mariza
Lets just say that my Mom and DH have had a strained relationship at best (long story, I won't go into now). Since we moved back to my home state we've had to rent from my Mom, although since the sale of our old house fell through we haven't actually paid her any rent.
Anyway, her car died so she drives mine while DH and I share his, he drives me and picks me up from work every day. The other night DH brings down the baby monitor to my Mom so he can pick me up from work. He tells her DD is settleing down and asks her not to go upstairs. (She used to be a great sleeper, but my Mom has been regressing her by rocking and singing her to sleep) We are trying to break her of this bad habit since DS is arriving next month and I won't be able to do all of that with DD when he gets here.
So, we get home and of course my Mom is upstairs with a wide awake DD. I was pretty visible unhappy and asked her why she didn't leave DD like DH asked. She claims that DH asked her to go upstairs if the baby cried, which I know is not true becasue we have the same discussion every day.
I was mad because DD didn't get to sleep until about 2am and was off her schedule for 2-3days. BUT I let it go...now my Mom keeps bringing it up calling DH a liar and claiming that he "lied and instigated" on purpose to create tension between me and her. WTH???
She and I have had tension as long as I can remember, way before I even met DH, so she really doesn't need him for that to happen.
I appreciate everything she's done to help us move back, but now I'm so upset and want to get out of this apartment ASAP, only we are stuck because our house is not selling and DH has not been working since we moved, although he is starting a new job now that allows him to work from home. DS is due at the end of August so I really can't see us moving with a newborn in the near future anyway.

It's to the point where my Mother will not speak to DH and I can't handle the tension, I just don't know what to do. Once my Mom gets an idea into her head she beleives it with all her heart and will hold a grudge forever. I don't think adivce will help, I've tried every approach to try and get through to her over the years, she is just so stubborn. I guess I just needed to vent, so if you made it this far thanks for listening!

mariza

mariza

mariza

mariza

mariza

mariza

mariza

Beth568
07-03-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm so sorry. :( It's impossible when you're in the middle of a situation like this. Sounds as if your mom is clearly trying to manipulate you and the situation, and you're smart to recognize that you won't likely be able to get through to her.

My mom has a bit of this tendency in her, and it used to create all kinds of problems, including some with my DH, so I understand how you feel.

I think the best you can do is remember that you can't change her behavior - you can only change your reaction to it. To the extent that it's possible to cut off all conversation with her about the issue, that's what I'd try to do. No point in rehashing something that's just going to frustrate you. And remember to let your DH know that you're on his side.

Good luck. I hope you're able to get out of there soon.

Beth568
I'm so sorry. :( It's impossible when you're in the middle of a situation like this. Sounds as if your mom is clearly trying to manipulate you and the situation, and you're smart to recognize that you won't likely be able to get through to her.

My mom has a bit of this tendency in her, and it used to create all kinds of problems, including some with my DH, so I understand how you feel.

I think the best you can do is remember that you can't change her behavior - you can only change your reaction to it. To the extent that it's possible to cut off all conversation with her about the issue, that's what I'd try to do. No point in rehashing something that's just going to frustrate you. And remember to let your DH know that you're on his side.

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

Beth568

kedss
07-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Big hugs, Mariza, I'm sorry you are stuck in the middle. It just sounds like both your DH and Mom need to get along for the sake of sanity. Big hugs, mama!

kedss
Big hugs, Mariza, I'm sorry you are stuck in the middle. It just sounds like both your DH and Mom need to get along for the sake of sanity. Big hugs, mama!

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kedss

kellyotn
07-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Ugh, I'm stressed just reading that. Living it must be hard. Hope your house sells, oh, today.

I agree all you can do is manage your response. Don't let her bait you, which it sounds like she's doing w/ the whole "lied and instigated" thing.

Would it be possible to just not have your Mother put DD down to sleep, ever? I know you're down to one car, but maybe just have DH bring her with him to get you. Sounds like it might be easier and less likely to cause "issues" in the end.

DH will be working from home? Work = great. From home = ugh!

kellyotn
Ugh, I'm stressed just reading that. Living it must be hard. Hope your house sells, oh, today.

I agree all you can do is manage your response. Don't let her bait you, which it sounds like she's doing w/ the whole "lied and instigated" thing.

Would it be possible to just not have your Mother put DD down to sleep, ever? I know you're down to one car, but maybe just have DH bring her with him to get you. Sounds like it might be easier and less likely to cause "issues" in the end.

kellyotn

kellyotn

kellyotn

kellyotn

kellyotn

kellyotn

kellyotn

mariza
07-03-2006, 07:36 PM
We try not to have Mom put her to sleep, but I get off work at 9pm and DH usually has her in bed before he leaves, but you know how it is...the littlest whimper and Mom goes running upstairs.
I spent the day with my Mother and she's better, though managed to get in several digs about DH "not working". I explained that first off he IS working and secondly, if he worked and I was a SAHM no one would question it. She didn't disagree, just said no man can take care of babies as good as a woman, grrr!!!
Tonigh she is babysitting so DH and I can catch a movie, I think it's her "white flag", and I am taking her up on it, we both need a date night!

mariza
We try not to have Mom put her to sleep, but I get off work at 9pm and DH usually has her in bed before he leaves, but you know how it is...the littlest whimper and Mom goes running upstairs.
I spent the day with my Mother and she's better, though managed to get in several digs about DH "not working". I explained that first off he IS working and secondly, if he worked and I was a SAHM no one would question it. She didn't disagree, just said no man can take care of babies as good as a woman, grrr!!!
Tonigh she is babysitting so DH and I can catch a movie, I think it's her "white flag", and I am taking her up on it, we both need a date night!

mariza

mariza

mariza

mariza

mariza

mariza

mariza

nov04
07-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm so sorry your mother is doing all this.

Fwiw, mil checks on dd constantly using a bright light outside her room if we go out and doesn't let her do anything for herself. I feel for you.

nov04

Fwiw, mil checks on dd constantly using a bright light outside her room if we go out and doesn't let her do anything for herself. I feel for you.

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04